Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...

Go down 
+25
Hugh Midde
mouldyoldgoat
Elias
argyl3
AstiSpumante
Coxside_Green
zyph
Tringreen
seadog
Rollo Tomasi
sufferedsince 68
PatDunne
tigertony
VillageGreen
PlymptonPilgrim
harvetheslayer
Greenskin
Chemical Ali
Czarcasm
Lord Melbury
Charlie Wood
Tgwu
Dick Trickle
Moist_Von_Lipwig
Rickler
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickler

Rickler

EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Rickler wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Do you think Leave would win a second referendum?

Yes.

Did you think they would win the first?

I wasn't confident either way come the actual vote. I certainly didn't believe the polling.

Prior to it I predicted 55:45 Remain - as I suspect you are aware since someone started a guess the result thread where I posted exactly that.

Wrong as usual then...

No surprise there.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
It appears that both Gove and Boris were expecting and even wanting Cameron to stay on in the event of Leave winning. Whatever the timescale the remainers will moan.

I've read that a new team of Civil Servants have been put in place to deal with the Brexit. This all takes time.

I am delighted, still, that we are coming out. The nature of the EU is just plain deceitful, eg; the conversion of imperial weights and measures to their system. It was foisted on us slowly and slyly.

They are the opposite of open and transparent and I'm surprised that people are content to go along with it.

Now I've heard it all!

Are kids taught pounds and ounces any more? It's the SI Sytem for goodness sake. I can use both but am mainly metric now. It is so much simple and more logical. Do you advocate a return to 20 shillings to the pound and 12 pence to the shilling?

Last edited by Moist_Von_Lipwig on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:29 pm

I think if the ref was re run we'd apsolutely romp home, project fear has come to nowt the earth is still turning and a lot of people I have talked to feel they were mugged.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:
I think if the ref was re run we'd apsolutely romp home, project fear has come to nowt the earth is still turning and a lot of people I have talked to feel they were mugged.

Wait until article 50 is presented.

Anyhow, I'm off to a double birthday party. I don't have time to list all the different nationalities that will be there.

Have a nice evening on Fantasy Island.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:

In that case end the debate for once and all by demanding a second referendum.

Simple.

What is there to be afraid of or object to if you're certain you'll win anyway?

It'd be a walkover then. No valid reason to object to Brexit at all could survive a second defeat.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:37 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Amsterdamage wrote:

Simple.

It'd be a walkover then. No valid reason to object to Brexit at all could survive a second defeat.

Quite agree. And if the next referendum doesn't go your way, lets have a third one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 4:45 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Amsterdamage wrote:

Simple.

Quite agree. And if the next referendum doesn't go your way, lets have a third one.

Hey join the queue, first we have to renegotiate the NI peace treaty, the GFA, let Gibralter joint Spain, free Wales and then Scotland from the clutches of the UK, so many referendums and so little time to fit them all in. lol!
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Don't be ridiculous, there won't be a second referendum, neither should there be.

You lot have voted to come out, now accept the consequences. The political system is in chaos, millions have been wiped off shares, the value of savings, pensions etc have already plummeted, and that's before we actually leave.

More austerity due from the Treasury to compensate for the economic downturn, increased prices of goods and services when tariffs kick in, but never mind,you'll have your country back again (whatever that means) and there won't be those nasty immigrants contributing to the economy like they do now, the feckers.

Not forgetting the inevitable break up of the UK.

All that and Gove as PM. The future's bright.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:36 pm

I don't think Gove will get the gig.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:42 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
I don't think Gove will get the gig.

May is certainly the favourite at the moment, but Gove is a treacherous individual. Wouldn't put it past him to come up with some scheme to get the people on his side. Either that or assassinate his opponents.

Night of the long knives anyone?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
Earlier, I was talking to some English students here who are studying at the local university.

They are devastated by the result. They very much want to remain. They are really hacked of with the oldies!

It was only a brief chat in the English shop, but it got me thinking.

When all of us grumpy old men and woman left school, most of us went to work. Others went to university and the options for studying abroad were limited (mainly by wealth). Travel to Europe was also limited and if people did go, it was to "Little Britain" ("eh, can't do without me fish 'n' chips and a pint") in Spain etc

Nowadays, things have changed. Lots of students from all over the EU are studying in a different EU country. They enjoy it, meet lots of people from other countries, learn about them and their food, cutoms and traditions. They also form a lot of friendships (some even get married). It think that this is a good thing.

The youngsters "don't want their country back" (that statement makes me laugh as "our country" has never gone away!). They want it to stay as it is. They don't want to be isolated from the rest of Europe!

They stand to lose a lot of FREEDOM should Brexit happen.

This decision is going to potentially (so experts say) cause many a year of "hardship" before things might get better and will affect generations to come.

By the time we reach that glorious outcome, most of the grumpy old men and women will have done their own Brexit.

The decision should reside with the young, not us oldies!

Who are we - grumpy old men and women - to deny the next generations their freedom!

What do we - grumpy old men and women - want/hope to get out of it?

Dear oh dear. In your eyes, travelling to Europe post-Brexit will be akin to getting into Brezhnev's Soviet Union.

Just be honest and admit that all of your hundreds of Brexit posts are about how your personal employment situation may change as a Brit in Germany.
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
That'll be the same youngsters that felt the referendum was so important to their futures that they didn't turn out to vote then.
Only 36% of 18-24 year olds bothered to vote.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:58 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Don't be ridiculous, there won't be a second referendum, neither should there be.

You lot have voted to come out, now accept the consequences. The political system is in chaos, millions have been wiped off shares, the value of savings, pensions etc have already plummeted, and that's before we actually leave.

More austerity due from the Treasury to compensate for the economic downturn, increased prices of goods and services when tariffs kick in, but never mind,you'll have your country back again (whatever that means) and there won't be those nasty immigrants contributing to the economy like they do now, the feckers.

Not forgetting the inevitable break up of the UK.

All that and Gove as PM. The future's bright.

flower The suns out in West Devon, I'm off out for a couple of pints then a meal with some old friends. Just paid some only in the bank this arvo, alls good from here. Thanks/OK
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:02 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:
Did anybody else watch question time last night? The main thrust from the audience was WTF is the government, and the Labour party up to? The country needs firm guidance now more than ever and they are having a power struggle. Labour rightly got some shite for having a major domestic when they should be trying to corner the injured Tories and finish them off.
I don't like Russell Kane (I never realised he was a comedian thought he was a teen music presenter he's just not funny at all) but had to agree with him on Corby. He said instead of just sitting back and keeping quiet in the referendum why wasn't he challenging Cameron about what is bad about Europe, the bloated staffing levels, the huge cost of it, the inefficiency of it, the undemocratic nature of it. Very good point I thought and one that's been sidestepped now.
If you listen to people the EU is either as stated above or the absolute pinnacle of democracy, workers rights, fairness and equality. The mantra is "our government bad, massive overpaid and undemocratic government good". It's a feckin farce and no mistake.

Yeah, i watched QT.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Lord Melbury wrote:
Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
That'll be the same youngsters that felt the referendum was so important to their futures that they didn't turn out to vote then.
Only 36% of 18-24 year olds bothered to vote.

Only 36% and that's after keeping the referendum registration site open an extra couple of days so they could vote to remain because of an alleged 'breakdown of the site.'

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:12 pm

I don't think there is any need for a second referendum. The outcome of the first was the one and only outcome.

We should not bow down like Ireland and Holland did, who had to go through a second vote because the EU did not like the outcome of their first vote respectively.

A thought, are the EU telling the UK in private to hold another referendum and this time get the right decision ?.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I reckon they should deffo have another, seeing as Leave won first time. Then it'd be great if Remain won - we could have a 'best of three'. Followed by maybe Rock Paper Scissors etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 8:17 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I reckon they should deffo have another, seeing as Leave won first time. Then it'd be great if Remain won - we could have a 'best of three'. Followed by maybe Rock Paper Scissors etc. etc.

I see dear old Tony Blair has put himself forward [not in as many words but...] to bring "serious statesmanship" to the Brexit negotiations and used the "young are very angry about this" line this morning. Suppose he thinks his greying hair gives him some gravitas rather than appearing to be a permasmile cardboard cut out. Didn't he put up for the presidency of the European commission or something once? Mind you,that Gove is a strange individual as well,a swivelled eyed loon if ever there was one-a sort of cross between Himmler and Ronnie Corbett.Doesn't really fit comfortably to give him support but life brings strange bedfellows at times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 8:57 pm

An excellent day. After all the normal Tory guff pre vote, Osborne has pulled the plug on austerity for now. He'll be gone shortly, and what Tory chancellor can now carry on with their ideological poor bashing while the Brexit thing is in play that has shown just how out of touch his policy was, once people were given a straight forward vote, without the established safety of the rotten borough thing. Excellent. Delighted.
Funny how things turn out. Didn't expect it so easily, but I'll take it.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 10:51 pm

I've lost touch with it all. Are we united yet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Lord Biro wrote:
An excellent day. After all the normal Tory guff pre vote, Osborne has pulled the plug on austerity for now. He'll be gone shortly, and what Tory chancellor can now carry on with their ideological poor bashing while the Brexit thing is in play that has shown just how out of touch his policy was, once people were given a straight forward vote, without the established safety of the rotten borough thing. Excellent. Delighted.
Funny how things turn out. Didn't expect it so easily, but I'll take it.

Yes slipped out unnoticed didn't it.

Who can forget get the sepia tinted "all in it together in the national interest" 50s austerity chic as they took a great big axe to public services and handed them to barely competent private Buccaneers.

But labour caused the mess through overspending they cried. Is there still a mess I wonder, it's a shame there no opposition to argue it.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptySat Jul 02, 2016 12:12 am

I obviously need to do more reading but austerity is over, hurrah. Quite how that fits with 8 years of shit will no doubt be justified.

Looking forward to catching up with the rest of the fall-out. Did any far left get arrested for graffiti crimes?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptySat Jul 02, 2016 12:34 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Middle class coont, spoof fer it or it wouldn't be constitutional, I'll put myself up for leave.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 EmptySat Jul 02, 2016 1:16 am

Have you read Professor A C Grayling’s letter to all 650 MPs urging Parliament not to support a motion to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, 1 July 2016?

If not here it is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(May contain EU related content - the clue to the content is in the link title. Do not click if this is likely to offend.)
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next