Jethro
RegGreen
argyl3
13 posters
AuthorMessage
argyl3

argyl3

'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  Empty
PostSubject: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 10:13 am

Link to the local rag..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wonder when the "Stage will be"? probably January when all the bigger clubs come sniffing for the best players.. pathetic really. We should be talking contracts NOW.

Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Hopefully not a repeat of last seasons fiasco
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 am

Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams says he will begin talks on extending the contracts of Graham Carey, Jake Jervis and Reuben Reid soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Very interesting comments from Adams

Quote :
"I've got a strategy that I'll put to them that we want to follow and see where we go from there

That sounds very much like Jimmy ain't going to stump up enough for a straight forward normal hike in pay comensurate with their new found status, so he's having to be "creative". Probably a promise of some form of riches in the future or on team success, but not now routine.  Carey, in particular, would be mad to accept any form of extra conditions on a new very remunerative contract. Probably the hottest property in the bottom 2 divisions. If I were the agent for a 25 year old hot property like him with only 8 years of earning left, I would tell the player not to accept anything but concrete immediate contracted money at the market rate for his skills. End of, no messing. By the time he's whacked in a few more and impressed a whole lot more clubs, he could probably pick or choose his club, probably at Championship level too.  Midfielders of his type and effect are a rare breed, and can change a whole team's performance.

As us sensible/realist* fans have thought all along, it indeed appears the 2 year option thing is worth a pee in the wind in the real world.
Jimmy will have to learn the hard way. Those who don't dare, have to pay up. Of course, it won't be him suffering, as he'll keep to his budget. It may well be the team that loses out.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 4:22 pm

I'm surprised its been made public. Managers who may have been eyeing any of these 3 will now be badgering their chairman to find out how much dosh they have available on Jan 1st. I know that clubs should not contact players who are ''in contract'' but this is 2015 (just) and any overtures are not going to arrive by postie in an envelope with a clubs logo on.
We discuss our players but what about DA himself?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 4:28 pm

get the core bunch signed up before the end of january. The rest can earn one
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 6:02 pm

tigertony wrote:
I'm surprised its been made public. Managers who may have been eyeing any of these 3 will now be badgering their chairman to find out how much dosh they have available on Jan 1st. I know that clubs should not contact players who are ''in contract'' but this is 2015 (just) and any overtures are not going to arrive by postie in an envelope with a clubs logo on.
We discuss our players but what about DA himself?

No surprise at all that it's been made public, naïve to think otherwise. DA is no mug and has gone 'public' with the fact that he has a plan to keep his best players, which of course, all Argyle fans want. Now the pressure is firmly on Brent to agree with that.

As for other managers and clubs, the football world in the lower leagues is a very small one, and the contract situation at Home Park will be very well known, and agents will already have been in touch. What we see in the press is only the tip of a very large iceberg.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 8:23 am

Bump.

Apparently 'twas promotion dependent all along.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 9:24 am

As we suspected, Brent refuses to invest in good players, even when promotion is more likely than not. He didn't have any such problems when cowboying at Citi with other people's money and futures.
If I were an in demand Carey or Reid, I would file away this disrespect for future use. Loyalty is a two way street, and employees like to plan their lives, not be treated like chattels.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 9:55 am

Del bhey wrote:
"There are a lot of other teams in this division that have got a lot more money to spend than we have, but we have done very well with the budget we have got.

Don't really get the wait until promotion. Highly unlikely we would be any better than mid-table in Div 1 so gate receipts won't be better than this year, especially given the removal of Derbies and grim northerness of Div 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 10:57 am

Lord Biro wrote:
As we suspected, Brent refuses to invest in good players, even when promotion is more likely than not. He didn't have any such problems when cowboying at Citi with other people's money and futures.
If I were an in demand Carey or Reid, I would file away this disrespect for future use. Loyalty is a two way street, and employees like to plan their lives, not be treated like chattels.

which is why i dont get why nzgreen seemed to think brent did back del bhey in the window when its clear he didnt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Lord Biro wrote:

Which is why I'm a non attendee barring a couple of games a season when in the past I've only missed a home game due to illness or injury. Brent has no idea of running a football club and is clearly out of his depth. If we get promoted it will be in spite of Brent not because of him. Yes he should be applauded for hiring Adams but and it's a big one he's done feck all to aid promotion this season apart from not selling the only couple of decent players we actually own. The squad is lighter now than it was pre January whilst all our rivals have strengthened. We all know that league one will be tougher and momentum is everything sure we may go up but if we have to start the season with a complete rebuild the chances are that the momentum will change to a downwards trajectory and there will be nothing stopping us falling right out of the football league. Adams will not hang around much longer if he keeps meeting a brick wall every way he turns. Anyone who thinks that Adams likes this business model is deluded.
Brent out now.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Spending in this Division is limited to 55% of revenue, so as one of the best supported clubs PAFC should be able spend accordingly.

The fact that Adams is clearly stating that's not the case must be that Brent is deliberatly restricting the club's spending power.

It would be nice to know why, or where the money's going.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:
Lord Biro wrote:

Which is why I'm a non attendee barring a couple of games a season when in the past I've only missed a home game due to illness or injury. Brent has no idea of running a football club and is clearly out of his depth. If we get promoted it will be in spite of Brent not because of him. Yes he should be applauded for hiring Adams but and it's a big one he's done feck all to aid promotion this season apart from not selling the only couple of decent players we actually own. The squad is lighter now than it was pre January whilst all our rivals have strengthened. We all know that league one will be tougher and momentum is everything sure we may go up but if we have to start the season with a complete rebuild the chances are that the momentum will change to a downwards trajectory and there will be nothing stopping us falling right out of the football league. Adams will not hang around much longer if he keeps meeting a brick wall every way he turns. Anyone who thinks that Adams likes this business model is deluded.
Brent out now.

Same here.

I will not read too much in to the main story as yet, Argyle have still got a few games left to secure promotion. If by the time April arrives and it looks like they will go up, then contract extensions should be resolved forthwith.

The likes of Jrevis, Carey, Wylde et all would be good players to have in L1.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Let's hope some other club doesn't commit to their futures in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 6:50 am

Angry wrote:
Lord Biro wrote:

which is why i dont get why nzgreen seemed to think brent did back del bhey in the window when its clear he didnt.

Agree with Biro, it shouldn't be this way. But we all know Brent's tight and does his best and only work with other people's money. And that's that.

As for who's backing who, let's not conflate the two points :
1. Our best players were not let go in January as part of a Brent fire sale. Da is backed.
2. Our best players are still on their shitty current contracts for now. Da is not backed.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 8:54 am

nzgreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Lord Biro wrote:

Agree with Biro, it shouldn't be this way. But we all know Brent's tight and does his best and only work with other people's money. And that's that.

1. Our best players were not let go in January as part of a Brent fire sale. Da is backed.
2. Our best players are still on their shitty current contracts for now. Da is not backed.

Only if offers were rejected.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 8:57 am

Can't we just offer contracts now that have a wage increase clause if we go up?
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 10:22 am

AstiSpumante wrote:
nzgreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Lord Biro wrote:

Et voila!

Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 10:47 am

nzgreen wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
nzgreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Lord Biro wrote:

Et voila!

I'll give you £25 for that prize bull.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Why wouldn't a manager start talking to his players? He'd be as keen as anybody to keep the best ones because his job and reputation rests on results. Everything else soon gets forgotten but results - especially a promotion - are indelibly stamped on his CV.

We'll probably hear the old "depends on what division we're in next year" chestnut somewhere along the line. This is just kicking the can down the road. If we don't go up we need to keep the best players and add to them to go up next year; if we do go up we need to keep the best players and add to them to stay up next year.

You can be pretty certain this is because Adams is yet to be told his budget for next season and he's in no position to open his bottle of pop this early in the journey.

And it fits the hand-to-mouth reactive, as opposed to proactive, ethos that has diffused through every aspect of the club's decision making process where, at best, nobody does anything until crisis-point is reached.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts    'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts  Empty

Back to top Go down

'not at the stage yet' to start talking about new contracts
Page 1 of 1