AstiSpumante
Josh Pope
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Elias wrote:
Season tkt holders refuse to pay normal admission.....ever wondered why early fa cup ties get sod all fans everywhere nowadays

If we get drawn at home in the FA Cup in either the 1st or 2nd rounds I expect all the season ticket holders around me ( which is just about everyone) to be sitting in their usual seats.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 10:53 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Richard Blight wrote:
Suffered,

that argument doesn't hold water. For a start I doubt very much whether any regular season ticket holders paid £380 when they could buy it for £320 on the 'early bird' offer. I certainly don't know one and I'm surrounded by them.

Comparing Argyle with Man City is also ridiculous when it's been widely reported that the Premiership clubs are so awash with television money that they have ( in general ) been holding their prices down or even reducing them. Premiership clubs are not relying on gate money through attendances for their revenue. Clubs in the 3rd and 4th divisions are relying on gate money to survive.

Can you tell me how you know that Argyle's budget for this season is small? Or is this just an internet assumption? Argyle haven't said what the budget is and it's very unlikely they will tell us. No matter how many times we ask the question.

Just for clarity I don't necessarily agree with all the clubs pricing policy and I thought part of Bob's statement didn't make sense.

Derek Adams, in his preamble to the match tonight, certainly more than hinted that Argyle are not in the same league as Oxford when it comes to budgetary allocations.

He also said Argyle and Oxford were two of the biggest clubs in the division. People also forget we are still paying off debt.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Premiership clubs could afford to let fans in free....because of their Sky millions.....ridicules to compare Argyle prices to theirs.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 9:28 am

Richard Blight wrote:
Elias wrote:
Season tkt holders refuse to pay normal admission.....ever wondered why early fa cup ties get sod all fans everywhere nowadays

If we get drawn at home in the FA Cup in either the 1st or 2nd rounds I expect all the season ticket holders around me ( which is just about everyone) to be sitting in their usual seats.

Full price or oap rate ????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am

Richard Blight wrote:
Suffered,

that argument doesn't hold water. For a start I doubt very much whether any regular season ticket holders paid £380 when they could buy it for £320 on the 'early bird' offer. I certainly don't know one and I'm surrounded by them.

Comparing Argyle with Man City is also ridiculous when it's been widely reported that the Premiership clubs are so awash with television money that they have ( in general ) been holding their prices down or even reducing them. Premiership clubs are not relying on gate money through attendances for their revenue. Clubs in the 3rd and 4th divisions are relying on gate money to survive.

Can you tell me how you know that Argyle's budget for this season is small? Or is this just an internet assumption? Argyle haven't said what the budget is and it's very unlikely they will tell us. No matter how many times we ask the question.

Just for clarity I don't necessarily agree with all the clubs pricing policy and I thought part of Bob's statement didn't make sense.

So what really is the point of the Trust if you/it can't even find that out?

As Greenskin has said, Derek Adams certainly had the confidence to make the point that the Oxford board are financially backing their manager compared to his club. A strange statement to make without facts, so I suggest he knows full well who is spending what, and that Argyle aren't up with the leaders in the spending table. It must irritate Adams enough to come out and say that only a few months into the job and risk the wrath of his chairman and directors.

What happened the last time we had a good manager who didn't feel he had the confidence of his board to a) back him b) not sell his best players from under him? The manager left, the good squad dissipated and was replaced by a tier of players a good two divisions below. Quite a disaster.

I will be relieved if we get through January with our squad intact. If Adams is angling for a decent player or two more, he might want to revise his ambitions downwards and just be grateful to keep what he has. Sheridan had his best player taken from him and given a budget to replace him with a Conference reject in Ollie Norburn who managed about 10 starts. This is how we roll at Austerity Argyle.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Back to top Go down
SteelCannon

SteelCannon

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Whatever anyone's personal opinion, does it matter to what political party you vote for??? Honestly....some of these comments...
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 pm

SteelCannon wrote:
Whatever anyone's personal opinion, does it matter to what political party you vote for??? Honestly....some of these comments...

Sadly, for some, it does.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
Suffered,

Richard, i'm not comparing Argyle to man city though i have seen us play them in cup and a couple of times in league matches before! I'm just pointing out to Mr Trust Bloke that its cheaper to buy a season ticket at City than it is at Argyle. I dont think an Argyle season ticket at Argyle is good value and i think potd at twenty two pounds is a rip off! The rumours i've heard and reading between the lines is that Argyles budget is not a promotion budget. Bob and his mate mr Cannon seem to think that fans should shut up and be grateful, trust in Jim etc..... Thats why i would never join the Trust while under the present leadership.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 7:20 pm

That is so true Elias ( many season ticket holders refuse to pay the "going rate" for FA Cup matches etc ). I seem to remember in the not too distant past Arsenal let their season ticket holders in for nothing at an early cup match, having seen how few tickets had been bought. Early rounds are woefully badly attended in comparison to the league. They can be a right frugal bunch. Probably take a flask with them.
It really is a pet dislike of mine, as so many people, including season ticket holders seems to think POTD customers are there to be screwed even if they attend every week, or near enough. I have over 1000 home games under my belt at Home Park, let alone away games, more than most season ticket holders. It's how I like to pay, and have never, ever bought a season ticket. Nor do I have a loyalty card with anyone. Do POTD customers smell or something ?
Again, can anyone tell me why regular POTD fans should be stiffed in comparative terms ? There always seems to be a collective silence on this subject. It's not as if the club get their money up front, as many ST people pay by monthly direct debit. I'm talking about the morality of it. Even the old White thing of 6 games in half a season gave virtually no discount, only second dibs on tickets for away/big  games etc..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 8:28 am

Over a thousand games for me also and I've bought a season ticket for three seasons, potd price does feel like a punishment.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 am

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
That is so true Elias ( many season ticket holders refuse to pay the "going rate" for FA Cup matches etc ). I seem to remember in the not too distant past Arsenal let their season ticket holders in for nothing at an early cup match, having seen how few tickets had been bought. Early rounds are woefully badly attended in comparison to the league. They can be a right frugal bunch. Probably take a flask with them.
It really is a pet dislike of mine, as so many people, including season ticket holders seems to think POTD customers are there to be screwed even if they attend every week, or near enough. I have over 1000 home games under my belt at Home Park, let alone away games, more than most season ticket holders. It's how I like to pay, and have never, ever bought a season ticket. Nor do I have a loyalty card with anyone. Do POTD customers smell or something ?
Again, can anyone tell me why regular POTD fans should be stiffed in comparative terms ? There always seems to be a collective silence on this subject. It's not as if the club get their money up front, as many ST people pay by monthly direct debit. I'm talking about the morality of it. Even the old White thing of 6 games in half a season gave virtually no discount, only second dibs on tickets for away/big  games etc..

1000 X amount spent above season ticket cost = a damn good secondhand car, I would think.....or even a new one ?
Back to top Go down
SteelCannon

SteelCannon

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 11:48 am

One thing everyone should be aware of: gate money makes up the majority of income. A third of this is to pay for past debts which is still ongoing. This leaves the remaining two thirds for current activities. All this based on 23 days in a year to run the squad and pay for the large stadium we have. Plus policing costs etc......just thought I'd throw that in....
Back to top Go down
SteelCannon

SteelCannon

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 11:51 am

Perhaps if another 7000 would turn up instead of staying home watching the Champions League or travelling to PL clubs 300 miles away, the club would be able to reduce prices. It can't function like t does charging £10 on gates of 7-8k. People need to be realistic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 11:57 am

SteelCannon wrote:
Perhaps if another 7000 would turn up instead of staying home watching the Champions League or travelling to PL clubs 300 miles away, the club would be able to reduce prices. It can't function like t does charging £10 on gates of 7-8k. People need to be realistic.

who is saying £10? they are clearly saying a better price ticket that isnt extortion like what argyle are charging for 4th tier football lets be realistic about that one right now and for its sub standard merchandise and refreshments.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:08 pm

SteelCannon wrote:
One thing everyone should be aware of: gate money makes up the majority of income. A third of this is to pay for past debts which is still ongoing. This leaves the remaining two thirds for current activities. All this based on 23 days in a year to run the squad and pay for the large stadium we have. Plus policing costs etc......just thought I'd throw that in....

19 clubs last year would have been delighted with gates two thirds of ours, including 5 out of the 6 sides who finished above us.

On current gates this season 17 clubs will be operating on gates less than two-thirds of ours. Given that this has been the case since we have been in L2 the cumulative effect should have meant promotion already.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:11 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:

its not just potd that are getting shafted. You buy a ticket online now not only are you paying a booking fee but now you are charged for printing your own ticket out which means after all said and done you paying £23-24 a ticket and nearly £26 potd

oh and i see for higher tier games this season so far pompey and bristol rovers the club charge a couple of quid more per ticket
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 5:02 pm

SteelCannon wrote:

Again, the majority of fans at the games pay approximately £12, and a good 10-15% of them don't turn up even at that price. So how you expect casuals, returnees, newbies, experimenters to rock up at £23 is quite beyond me. This world is full of people telling others how to behave when they're not prepared to do the same themselves. I wonder what noise would be made if the ST prices went up to over £500 ?.... the POTD rate.

Just think of what decisions you make when you spend your money on everything else. Football is no different to any other expenditure, despite the rhetoric, and that comes from a long standing football sussed fan and attendee. And I know a lot of ex fans who think that too. But no, it's OUR fault for not paying double the regular price. Apparently we're all home watching Sky. No I'm not, I don't have sky and I have probably seen 1 hour of football all season. You're just repeating the Jones "Man U mantra". It's just blame shifting and isn't very friendly. All normal economic pricing theory is totally disregarded.
Look, the club was viewed in an independent survey as just about THE most expensive club in the division, and in an area of lower wages than average. Just have the decency to accept that and move on.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Floaters will always turn up if it's Pompey etc. regardless of the POYD price.

It's just more of a struggle to get them watch us play Accy even if we're top of the league.

'Twas always thus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 5:54 pm

It has always made me laugh that it's "floaters" (negative connotation ) that turn up for Portsmouth/local derbies etc, yet U18s or U11s get their hugely favourable terms because they're "the new generation of fans" ( positive connotation ) . Well, I'm sorry but aren't "the floaters" just as likely to be the new fans as the youngsters, if not more so. Just give them a fair shake. I'm not arguing for myself here, I'm not entering Home Park till Brent and his regime are history, away games for me only.
You're right Czarky, the regular/floater thing has always been thus, although the disparity has grown greatly since Dan came in. Back in the 70s, the regulars always sung "part time supporters" at big games. I always found that totally counter productive, but then geeks normally are. Like a parrochial members club of turf turners supping their cheap crap beer.
If you don't mind me asking Czarky, are you still a hard pressed regular POTD fan ? Can't be many left
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 6:16 pm

I am Sir John, I only miss 3 or 4 home games a season but I hate committing myself to anything, similar to your loyalty card foible. Not sure if that makes me a free spirit or a mug Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle   BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

BBC Sport survey vs Plymouth Argyle
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3