Czarcasm
Cornish Chris
Sir Francis Drake
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Plenty of stuff to ponder here.

https://www.bsports.com/womens-world-cup-2015#.VXIPHUbWjoc
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 10:33 pm

monkey tennis
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:01 am

I saw the Germany v Ivory Coast game on Sunday night. Germany looked a very good team - I'm sure they'd beat us, but Ivory Coast were utterly terrible. We've all seen some dreadful sides in green down the years, but the total lack of shape and inability to keep the ball was eye-opening to say the least. It was like watching a playground game where they all just chased after the ball regardless of their position. It doesn't do the women's game any favours when teams like that embarrass themselves on live TV. It's hard to imagine how it would work in practice, but it would be surely beneficial if there was a minimum standard all teams had to reach, because losing 10-0 at the World Cup (and it could have been 20) just devalues the tournament.

Looking forward to watching France v England tonight. I don't think anyone expects the English to challenge for the title but it should be a good watch.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 am

Women's football is a bit like men's synchronised swimming. Completely pointless.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 am

Why?
Back to top Go down

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:34 am

Bit annoyed they bumped family guy and american dad for this
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:42 am

Well, for me if I'm interested in watching a sport on TV then its more enjoyable to watch when played at a level befitting of televised sport. The level that women can attain in terms of pure ability is nowhere near that of the equivalent men's part-time game.

Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 am

So it's just when it's on TV that it's pointless?
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:50 am

Of course it would be much improved if they wore tighter shorts lol!
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:51 am

Charlie Wood wrote:
Of course it would be much improved if they wore tighter shorts lol!

Hi Sepp lol!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:58 am

In terms of televisual worthiness, it can only be that it is televised from of gender equality angle - because the standard is crap. I do get why some women who play the game would want to watch it, but other than that yeah, pointless.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 11:08 am

It has to be good for encouraging more girls to play. Obviously women's football doesn't have the strength in depth that men's football has, but it's good to see that efforts are being made to reverse it. I think the standard is more lopsided than universally crap - as I said earlier I'm pretty sure Argyle would struggle against the likes of Germany, the USA or Sweden.

And obviously, there's always an off button if you don't want to watch it.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 am

I don't think it's any more important for girls to be encouraged to play football, than it is for boys to be encouraged to play Netball, but yeah, it's just a point of view.

As an aside, I'll say it would actually be quite interesting to see Argyle take on whoever is the top women's side. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 12:01 pm

I only watch the end of the game when they swap shirts. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
It has to be good for encouraging more girls to play. Obviously women's football doesn't have the strength in depth that men's football has, but it's good to see that efforts are being made to reverse it. I think the standard is more lopsided than universally crap - as I said earlier I'm pretty sure Argyle would struggle against the likes of Germany, the USA or Sweden.

Have I got this straight..? Are you seriously suggesting Argyle would struggle against the womens teams of Germany, the USA or Sweden?

If so, you must be mad!
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 4:24 pm

Rickler wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:

Have I got this straight..?  Are you seriously suggesting Argyle would struggle against the womens teams of Germany, the USA or Sweden?

If so, you must be mad!

Cameroon would rip you mugs a new'un.

Do you realise that these gals actually pass to members of their own team?
Back to top Go down
swampy

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:08 am

Cornish Chris wrote:

Good grief no surely. Personally I think Truro City or even lower non league than that would beat a team like the USA ladies. They are technically very very good but the physical differences would be enormous. The men overall being bigger, faster and stronger would win almost every aerial challenge, run faster, tackle stronger, shoot harder and the goalkeeping would be much better too.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 am

But could the men resist the urge to dive and play act at every opportunity?
Back to top Go down
With-menace

With-menace

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 12:28 am

Quite intrigued to see if the misandrist agenda will trump market forces re wages prize money etc. women's football pulls 5% of the audiences the mans game does but that doesn't change the fact women are not paid anything like equally regardless of the circumstances . You're a sexist monster if you don't agree! Btw why hasn't the Rooney rule been rolled out for disadvantaged women?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Is anyone enjoying the women's football? I've watched a bit of it, but I'm finding it difficult to get excited (ooer matron)

Even the England - France game was ordinary. No denying they give it everything but it's just not happening for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Women's World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's World Cup   Women's World Cup Empty

Back to top Go down

Women's World Cup
Page 1 of 1