Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....

Go down 
+29
Czarcasm
SwimWithTheTide
PlymptonPilgrim
Mapperley, darling
Greenskin
Charlie Wood
nzgreen
pepsipete
Sir Francis Drake
sufferedsince 68
akagreengull
Chemical Ali
Jethro
Josh Pope
Les Miserable
Cornish Chris
Freathy
tigertony
lawnmowerman
Lord Tisdale
Lord Melbury
argyl3
Elias
Dick Trickle
VillageGreen
steveinspain
AstiSpumante
Foxy
Tgwu
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

The next manager should be....
Paul Wotton
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Ian Holloway
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap40%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 24 ]
Sean McCarthy
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Nigel Clough
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap10%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 6 ]
Darren Ferguson
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap8%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 5 ]
Kevin Blackwell
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap2%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Keith Hill
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 12 ]
James Beattie
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap2%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
John Ward
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Graham Westley
 2% [ 1 ]
Sean O'Driscoll
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Dennis Wise
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap5%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Lee Clark
 0% [ 0 ]
Paul Tisdale
The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_lcap5%The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 60

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Josh Pope

The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySat May 30, 2015 11:02 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Paven wrote:
Still Coughlan.
Shortlist

1) Nigel Clough
2) Darren Ferguson
3) Ian Holloway
4) Kevin Blackwell
5) Paul Tisdale.

Back-Up List

1) Lee Clark
2) John Ward
3) Graham Westley
4) Sean O'Driscoll

This is only speculation, but i can see the new Argyle manager being from the top five names i have mentioned, and if i were to narrow it down a tad, then it would be one from Darren Ferguson, Paul Tisdale or Nigel Clough.

Do not quote me at a later date when the above is way off the mark

Well, it's funny that you dismiss Coughlan, a modern, forward thinking coach with a few years working with different managers, who has spent time doing a uni degree in applied football management, gained his UEFA Pro license and travelled the continent watching coaching sessions and youth set-ups, and you then produce this list.

Clough - A shadow of his father. Did alright at Burton but to be fair he had a very good budget and a good squad, and it took him an absolute age to get them into the football league. What was it, 10 or 11 years or so? Didn't do well at Derby and massively underachieved at Sheffield United. We could do much worse, but hardly thrilling.
Ferguson - Such a boring appointment. We could do better.
Holloway - Not happening.
Blackwell - Genuinely a very poor manager. Hasn't really done that well anywhere, and his last job in 2013 was just appalling. If Warnock gets called outdated then Blackwell doesn't even come close.
Tisdale - Good manager but not a chance our board will pay the six figure compensation we're looking for.

Clark - Another bad manager. Hasn't had a good job anywhere.
Ward - Hardly inspiring is it, after the magic with Bristol Rovers?
Westley - I'm not too adverse to this one but Stevenage can't seem to stand him that much. We would probably do well, but it would hardly be very pretty would it?
O'Driscoll - Wouldn't mind too much, but his last job went very badly at Bristol City. We could do a lot, lot worse but there are better managers out there too.

So.. I'm still pro-Coughlan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 1:45 am

Coughlan has all the right attributes? What are 'the right attributes'?

Any first time manager is a total risk. We know nothing about his football philosophy, his command of tactics, his man management, his handling of budgets, his mentoring of youngsters. And yet many have already decided not only is he good enough but he is the best man for the job.

Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 2:45 am

ejh wrote:
Coughlan has all the right attributes? What are 'the right attributes'?

Any first time manager is a total risk. We know nothing about his football philosophy, his command of tactics, his man management, his handling of budgets, his mentoring of youngsters. And yet many have already decided not only is he good enough but he is the best man for the job.

From other posts we have Cocko:
- a modern, forward thinking coach - based on what?
- a few years working with different managers - all at league 2?
- spent time doing a uni degree in applied football management - Distance Learning and how many of the tutors are ex-managers with a promotion t-shirt? I would hazard a guess at ''not many''
gained his UEFA Pro license - so have other people like Kevin Blackwell, Colin Lee, Gary Megson
- travelled the continent watching coaching sessions and youth set-ups - how many clubs did he visit and for how long? How did he find the time between being a coach, studying for his licence and his degree?

I do think many fans are nodding for Cocko not because he's got some exams but because he knows the club, the fans and was a success here. Same could be said about Wottsie, King Tommy, Paul Mariner, John Hore. We must get out of this league asap and cannot risk a 1st timer. Frankly Shezz's cold personality, sometimes baffling selections and apparent lack of communication with the fans would not have been a problem had we been promoted.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 9:50 am

looks like cocko, was in for talks yesterday
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 10:33 am

Mapperley, darling wrote:
looks like cocko, was in for talks yesterday

cool, no doubt others will be too should have a manager named by this time next week all going well.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 10:49 am

Everyone has to start somewhere. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 12:07 pm

tigertony wrote:
Frankly Shezz's cold personality, sometimes baffling selections and apparent lack of communication with the fans would not have been a problem had we been promoted.

Of course not because had we been promoted there would have been no problem to find. But we weren't. And there is.

FWIW I don't think the cold personality matters at all. It's a complete red herring. Just an easy target to hit. His personality has probably not differed from Day One.

"Baffling selections" baffle because there seems to be no reason for them. This is clearly not the case because there is always a reason for everything. So we're baffled because we don't understand and we don't understand because we don't know the reasoning and we don't know the reasoning due to poor communication so really, when it comes down to it, the team selections aren't a problem either.

It all boils down to communication and there was next to none from the manger to the fans just like there is next to none from the club to the fans. Or, rather, that important communication which emerges from the club usually does so through either accidental leak, planted leak or is dragged kicking and screaming reluctantly into the public domain and then followed up with a "there will be no further comment" statement. So the club could hardly boot Sheridan's behind when it itself tries to be as tight as a mackerel's ass with information, could it?

The sad thing about all of this is that the problems such as they are and such as they are preceived to be could so easily be eradicated if there was, firstly, the understanding that there was a problem at all and, secondly, the will to do something about them.

Last edited by Sir Francis Drake on Sun May 31, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Really can't see the difference between Wotton and Coughlan. No managerial experience for either, both have some experience of working under different managers, either would be an appointment that demonstrates the lack of ambition pervading the club at the moment.

If the club were serious about getting out of this division they should be looking for a been there, done it type of manager who knows what it takes to get out this league. Someone like Sheridan, but more popular and who waves at people Rolling Eyes

On the other hand Coughlan got out of this division as a player, as did Wotton, so some of what went on under Sturrock Mk1 may have rubbed off. We shall see.

Coughlan wouldn't fill me with boundless excitement, but is he worth a try?

Meh.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 2:44 pm

Plus he's learned under Sturrock as a coach, and also Phil Brown. Cocko comes with a lot more coaching experience and a far greater C.V. than Wotton, there is a difference between the two. There's also a difference between the unknown Fletch taking over and the uncertain Cocko. Its a punt, but its a calculated one with better odds. Still, there is a massive unknown and that does leave me skeptical. Still, I'd prefer him to many of the mentioned names, though there are others I'd prioritise over Coughlan for now - I wouldn't mind floating midtable in League One and taking punts on newbie managers, but I'd sooner just get out of this feckin division that piss arsing about with little experiments. Still, we went tried and tested with Shez and it didn't pay off... So nothing is guaranteed, certainly not with this ownership.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 3:14 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Really can't see the difference between Wotton and Coughlan. No managerial experience for either, both have some experience of working under different managers, either would be an appointment that demonstrates the lack of ambition pervading the club at the moment.

If the club were serious about getting out of this division they should be looking for a been there, done it type of manager who knows what it takes to get out this league. Someone like Sheridan, but more popular and who waves at people Rolling Eyes

On the other hand Coughlan got out of this division as a player, as did Wotton, so some of what went on under Sturrock Mk1 may have rubbed off. We shall see.

Coughlan wouldn't fill me with boundless excitement, but is he worth a try?

Meh.
+ 1 - word for word.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cheers

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 4:12 pm

I think people need to ask themselves why, when Wotton is already in situ and knows the squad, would there still be a huge majority in favour of Coughlan taking the reins rather than PW?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 4:41 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
I think people need to ask themselves why, when Wotton is already in situ and knows the squad, would there still be a huge majority in favour of Coughlan taking the reins rather than PW?

Wotton was part of sheridans backroom staff that as so many experts keep telling us failed.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Well, here it is a nutshell.

The club itself look at PASOTI.

IJN

The polls are looked at by quite a few influential people within the club, I know as the site is often mentioned to me.

As they should do.

What other industry has a 24/7 365 days a year Customer Perception Survey free of charge?.

I hope the club are not swayed by the polls and what the fans want.

Link

Nigel Adkins has been mentioned now.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 6:07 pm

VillageGreen wrote:

IJN

The polls are looked at by quite a few influential people within the club, I know as the site is often mentioned to me.

As they should do.

What other industry has a 24/7 365 days a year Customer Perception Survey free of charge?.

Link

Surely the club wouldn't be so daft as to believe everything it sees on the ianternet?

Especially a poll given all the multis floating about.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 6:09 pm

How about an ex-player who has a promotion on his CV despite starting the season on minus 9 points ? Nicky Law at Chesterfield in 2001 ?
Rio Ferdinand has retired - p'raps announced that to take the Argo job.
IF the choice was GC or PW then GC has the advantage of being away from HP for years and really can clean sweep. Imagine PW getting the job and then McCarthy and Harbin shuffling in with''Please Paul can I keep my job - please Paul''
GC and PW are not for me - yet.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 6:26 pm

tigertony wrote:
How about an ex-player who has a promotion on his CV despite starting the season on minus 9 points ? Nicky Law at Chesterfield in 2001 ?
Rio Ferdinand has retired - p'raps announced that to take the Argo job.
IF the choice was GC or PW then GC has the advantage of being away from HP for years and really can clean sweep. Imagine PW getting the job and then McCarthy and Harbin shuffling in with''Please Paul can I keep my job - please Paul''
GC and PW are not for me - yet.

Not in a million years and Argyle could not afford him anyway.

If it is to be GC, then i hope he brings in his own people as staff. Harbin can go as for as i am concerned, Wooton can stay in the role he has now, perhaps he could even assist in managing the youth side and build from there.

Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 6:38 pm

VillageGreen wrote:

IJN

As they should do.

Link

Who in their right minds would listen to an internet troll, and his tame cheerleader site? Mr Internets only involvement will be strictly Bucket Rattling Consultant!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 8:21 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:

IJN

As they should do.

Link

Who in their right minds would listen to an internet troll, and his tame cheerleader site? Mr Internets only involvement will be strictly Bucket Rattling Consultant!

Conclusive proof (as if any were needed) that Pasoti is a disease that is eating the club from the inside out.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 8:25 pm

Newell the pathological liar wrote:

As they should do.

What other industry has a 24/7 365 days a year Customer Perception Survey free of charge?.[/i]

Well that makes it even more sickening to know, that quite often the club is deliberately going against the clear wishes of the fans!

Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 8:35 pm

Internet Ian, jimmy's football adviser? TeeHee Guffaw.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Southend UTD fans view on Coughlan rumours.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Angry wrote:

Southend UTD fans view on Coughlan rumours.

I can't get into the link, it keeps telling me to join up.

What are they saying by the way.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 12:59 pm

I got that as well but when I scrolled down I could read the forum thread.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Just to throw another name out there Frank Harper seems to have heard a whisper about Brian McDermott nudge nudge wink wink
That would be a good appointment if he fancies league 2.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:13 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:

IJN

As they should do.

Link

How much the board actually listen to IJN was exposed during the ministand debacle when he was extolling the "magnificent two tiered stand" he had seen just as the single deck sketch was released.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....   The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be..... - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The New Plymouth Argyle manager should be.....
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next