LondonGreen
VillageGreen
AstiSpumante
Josh Pope
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage

The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 am

Greenskin wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Won 19 Drawn 11 Lost 15 in dogshit land............  and still all this excitement ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To be honest Tring, i think you really needed to be here during the Fletcher days to truly understand why there's a bit of orgasming going on at the moment. Believe me, it was gruesome and to actually have a chance of achieving something at this stage of the season does seem like reaching a sort of Nirvana in comparison to that, even though this season has been a bit tortuous at times. Bigger picture? Definitely major issues there. Has any effort been made to ensure that Argyle are sufficiently well capitalised to be competitive should they make it [or even if they don't actually] to league 1 and beyond a la Swansea, Hull, Reading, Bournemouth etc? What are the plans to improve the infrastructure, including grandstand and training facilities  from it's present 1950's/1960's/1970's status to something more befitting a club which has ambitions to go further than it's ever been previously? Relevant questions which need to be asked in due course. But sorry, after watching 6 years of utterly awful losing shit, then I can't help but feel a bit happier this morning that the season has been extended and that there's a prospect of a modicum of excitement to come over the next few weeks.

This, totally.

The last few years have been dire. The Fletcher years were an absolute nightmare; if people want to celebrate getting into the end of season playoffs, ffs let them. It's been far too long since we had anything to cheer. Certainly the long-term health of the club is still a concern, but can't we have at least a few days where we enjoy the fact that we're in with a shout of going up?
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 10:58 am

Greenskin wrote:
The only player I would rest would possibly be Reid. The last thing that Argyle need is to go up there and find themselves 3-0 down at half time, recipe for potential disaster. Why would so many players need to be rested anyway if they aren't carrying injuries of some sort? I'm sure they can cope with one more match and there is a complete week before the play offs get under way-can't see Sheridan making that many changes for next week presuming everyone is fit.

THD won goal of the day on SSN tonight, good on him. The Luton keeper made a shocking rickets for the Southend goal, bet he's popular up there tonight.
I agree with the G Man, only rest Roobs and go to Shrewsbury looking for a result,we could come unstuck bigtime else!
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 11:09 am

IF we finish 7th there's no way we'll get past Bury/Wycombe over 2 matches. I actually ended up going along yesterday - my first game in about 3 years. We were absolutely terrible! Far worse than I thought we'd be. Tranmere had long spells when they were well on top and looked the better team, even though they too were uber shite.

We'll still be 4th division shite in 15/16
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 11:13 am

I think the kiosks "inexplicably closed" at half-time due to an order from on high after some numbskull let a smoke bomb, or maybe two of them because there was certainly 2 very loud bangs, off under the Lyndy.

The concourse was absolutely full of green, choking smoke and they pulled the shutters down. Whether they did this to protect themselves from the smoke or whether a call went out to shut down all of the food/drink outlets I don't know but if it did that would explain why in other parts of the ground they suddenly closed for no apparent reason.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 11:18 am

Just Back. Well, not really, been back from my first visit to HP for a wee while, nearly a day in fact.

Interesting game really, Tranmere looked the better side, possession wise, in the first half, but we got the goals at the right times, early on and the second just after they scored. They deserved their equaliser after a prolonged spell of possession and pressure. Second half we coped fairly easily the third finished the game off, despite a late goal from Tranmere which prolonged the agony a bit.

It was interesting to see some of the players people have been praising or criticizing throughout the season. O'Connor looked head and shoulders above the rest football brain-wise, Reuben was tank-like, Alessandra did well, good control and pace, Blizzard did the simple things well, THD, a great strike for his goal but defensively iffy, he went missing for their second goal. Hartley and McHugh solid, but a lack of pace which will be found out in a higher league, should we get there.

Comparing this team to other successful Argyle teams in the past, it's probably the worst to be in with a shout of going up, and if we do, serious money will need to be spent to cope with League 1. There just isn't the pace in any area to worry a good L1 side. The other thing was that we couldn't seem to keep the ball for any length of time, relying on a hoof to the front two far too often.

Had to smile at the bloke sat next to me, who, whilst waiting for the team to come back out after the match, said to me 'this is one of the best sides I've ever seen at HP'. He was getting on a bit so either he hadn't been going very long or has a very short memory.

I sort of enjoyed it probably because of the result, but felt a bit detached from it all, probably because I hadn't been for ages. Good to see some hope for the future and we could do well in the play offs, but we'll need to up the performance from yesterday.

7th place in a poor division is an improvement from previous years, but there is still a very long way to go to get anywhere near the Championship days.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 11:20 am

Angry wrote:
Elias wrote:
Could stevenage rest their 1ST XI ?

If Sheridan is smart he will rest key players next week and keep them fresh for the playoffs where they will need to be. Mabe not this extreme but i would play next week.

Bitner

Purrington Bentley Hartley

Jones Blizzard Norburn Cox Banton

Harvey Brunt

ill even go so far as to say let Wotton have a 5minute cameo so he can set the 2nd highest apperane record for the club outright.

As i say maybe not that extreme but certainly several.

We still have to avoid a 4-5 nil defeat (assuming Luton win 3-4 nil). Definitely rest a few of the forward options but send out a strong defensive unit. That said I'd be happy with one of Bentley or Purrington.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 11:21 am

Homeslice wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Won 19 Drawn 11 Lost 15 in dogshit land............  and still all this excitement ?

To be honest Tring, i think you really needed to be here during the Fletcher days to truly understand why there's a bit of orgasming going on at the moment. Believe me, it was gruesome and to actually have a chance of achieving something at this stage of the season does seem like reaching a sort of Nirvana in comparison to that, even though this season has been a bit tortuous at times. Bigger picture? Definitely major issues there. Has any effort been made to ensure that Argyle are sufficiently well capitalised to be competitive should they make it [or even if they don't actually] to league 1 and beyond a la Swansea, Hull, Reading, Bournemouth etc? What are the plans to improve the infrastructure, including grandstand and training facilities  from it's present 1950's/1960's/1970's status to something more befitting a club which has ambitions to go further than it's ever been previously? Relevant questions which need to be asked in due course. But sorry, after watching 6 years of utterly awful losing shit, then I can't help but feel a bit happier this morning that the season has been extended and that there's a prospect of a modicum of excitement to come over the next few weeks.

This, totally.

The last few years have been dire. The Fletcher years were an absolute nightmare; if people want to celebrate getting into the end of season playoffs, ffs let them. It's been far too long since we had anything to cheer. Certainly the long-term health of the club is still a concern, but can't we have at least a few days where we enjoy the fact that we're in with a shout of going up?

+1.

The prospect of getting anywhere near the playofs was laughable under Fletcher.  I remember when we lost to Stourbridge it got to the point where we were so bad it was funny.  I think we were all resigned to non-League.

For all Sheridan's limitations, we're probably a division above where we should be already, even without the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 11:32 am

I've seen no mention of it but I thought the penalty decision was very harsh. I'm glad we got it and I'm glad we scored it but nobody sat near me thought it was a pen. A very iffy decision.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 11:36 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Just Back. Well, not really, been back from my first visit to HP for a wee while, nearly a day in fact.

Interesting game really, Tranmere looked the better side, possession wise, in the first half, but we got the goals at the right times, early on and the second just after they scored. They deserved their equaliser after a prolonged spell of possession and pressure. Second half we coped fairly easily the third finished the game off, despite a late goal from Tranmere which prolonged the agony a bit.

It was interesting to see some of the players people have been praising or criticizing throughout the season. O'Connor looked head and shoulders above the rest football brain-wise, Reuben was tank-like, Alessandra did well, good control and pace, Blizzard did the simple things well, THD, a great strike for his goal but defensively iffy, he went missing for their second goal. Hartley and McHugh solid, but a lack of pace which will be found out in a higher league, should we get there.

Comparing this team to other successful Argyle teams in the past, it's probably the worst to be in with a shout of going up, and if we do, serious money will need to be spent to cope with League 1. There just isn't the pace in any area to worry a good L1 side. The other thing was that we couldn't seem to keep the ball for any length of time, relying on a hoof to the front two far too often.

Had to smile at the bloke sat next to me, who, whilst waiting for the team to come back out after the match, said to me 'this is one of the best sides I've ever seen at HP'. He was getting on a bit so either he hadn't been going very long or has a very short memory.

I sort of enjoyed it probably because of the result, but felt a bit detached from it all, probably because I hadn't been for ages. Good to see some hope for the future and we could do well in the play offs, but we'll need to up the performance from yesterday.

7th place in a poor division is an improvement from previous years, but there is still a very long way to go to get anywhere near the Championship days.

Cheers, very good synopsis, you should go more often jocolor
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 12:06 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I've seen no mention of it but I thought the penalty decision was very harsh. I'm glad we got it and I'm glad we scored it but nobody sat near me thought it was a pen. A very iffy decision.

Ansah looked offside for the third, too.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 12:31 pm

I notice that Shrewsbury's winner that relegated Cheltenham yesterday went in off one Durrell Berry.  Not a great career move was it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Cracking second for Argyle there, well done to Holmes-Dennis.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 4:29 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Personally having watched the replay I think it might be. Blizzard knocks the ball away from the defender and the defender gets none of the ball but hits Blizzard's feet and takes him down. I'd feel very, very aggrieved not to get it. Have a feeling the ref may have gotten it right, though was unconvinced on first seeing it.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Takes his legs away.....penalty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Thank fook the ref gave it anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Ansah looked offside for the third, too.

I was sat right in line with the Lino and Ansah, definitely onside
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 am

Freathy wrote:
IF we finish 7th there's no way we'll get past Bury/Wycombe over 2 matches.  I actually ended up going along yesterday - my first game in about 3 years.  We were absolutely terrible! Far worse than I thought we'd be.  Tranmere had long spells when they were well on top and looked the better team, even though they too were uber shite.

We'll still be 4th division shite in 15/16

Of the 3 possible opponents, and taking this season's meetings into account, our record is as follows:

Wycombe - Argyle win 2-1 on aggregate
Bury - Argyle lose 4-1 on aggregate
Southend - Argyle win 2-1 on aggregate

In the playoff lottery, anything is possible.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 am

First game for a while that I enjoyed. Having some away fans at Home Park made a bit of a difference as the atmosphere was much better than normal.

I thought Blizzard dived for the penalty- looking at the highlights it looks similar to the Cazorla/ Fabregas challenge yesterday- there was contact but not enough for a foul.

I was stood right by the TCE lot under the Lyndhurst when the smoke grenades went off. At least 2 were set off- one stained by brother's trainer green - it affected my hearing for a few hours after also (can I get compensation? Very Happy ).

Tranmere went for the win from around 60 minutes and played 3-3-4. We had quite a few chances for breakaway goals but missed most.

We do need to improve if we want to get to Wembley though (I'm hoping we play Wycombe, dreading Bury).
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Someone listen to me at last Wink
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Fans are getting a little blase imho. Huge goal swings have happened - see my earlier post about Shiltons team. How are you all going to feel if at HT Luton are 2 up and we are 2 down. I'll be on the edge of my seat.
Having said that we don't concede 4 goals with the right players playing so I would start strong and if at HT its still 0-0 or even 0-1 to Shrews then a quick glance at the Luton score would dictate the subs.
I think Westley and co are too professional to let it slip and even if he plays fringe players they all want a piece of the play-offs and will play as such - we hope.
I actually think we'll draw 0-0.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:56 pm

tigertony wrote:
Fans are getting a little blase imho. Huge goal swings have happened - see my earlier post about Shiltons team. How are you all going to feel if at HT Luton are 2 up and we are 2 down. I'll be on the edge of my seat.
Having said that we don't concede 4 goals with the right players playing so I would start strong and if at HT its still 0-0 or even 0-1 to Shrews then a quick glance at the Luton score would dictate the subs.
I think Westley and co are too professional to let it slip and even if he plays fringe players they all want a piece of the play-offs and will play as such - we hope.
I actually think we'll draw 0-0.

7 - 0 away to Brentford,  Boys were at Uni in London we sat on the local bus going to their digs those were the days.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Lose 3 nil and we may be in trouble.
Carlisle where able to create some chances and look where they are !
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:05 pm

All Derby had to do was win against a team that had not won for 9 games - easy easy easy!!! Oh dear oh dear oh dear - didn't expect that. Need to be careful !!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread   The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Biggest Game in Recent History Match Thread
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7