Hitch
sufferedsince 68
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Three Cheers For Shez! Empty
PostSubject: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Under pressure Shez showed his professionalism by leading his World Class players to a stunning victory over Nottinghamshire's finest. Please stay on for another Three years John, your loyal stay at home fans love you!sunny
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 6:09 pm

No no no - bring back Fletcher, Reid, Mariner and Williamson for next season - Sheridan is clueless and is totally responsible when the players screw up, which they are certain to do again. I've never known a manager to underachieve by such a wide margin when having free rein to the 9th best budget in a league and with the assistance of such an inspiring, always delivers Chairman, Board and Superfan collective. cheers
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Did either of you watch todays game? Just wondering Smile
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 6:26 pm

At this stage of the season it's alway just as tricky playing teams threatened with relegation as it is playing those vying for promotion.

Wasn't pretty today, but job done and we move on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 6:58 pm

LOOK HOW FAR WE'VE COME
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Josh Pope wrote:

I did. And I watched a lot of very similar games in the Waiters, Smith, Warnock and Sturrock promotion seasons. Here's an interesting fact for you. In 1958/59 [which was before even I was born] Argyle were promoted to the old second divison.Their last 8 results were as follows;

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

Binary football at it's best but enough to win promotion and you can bet your life that every game was similar to that one today and to what they will be for the rest of the season, attritional and tense dog fights every one. Teams playing to avoid relegation, players playing for their futures, it all contributes to the tension and pressure.

Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

I did. And I watched a lot of very similar games in the Waiters, Smith, Warnock and Sturrock promotion seasons. Here's an interesting fact for you. In 1958/59 [which was  before even I was born] Argyle were promoted to the old second divison.Their last 8 results were as follows;

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

Binary football at it's best but enough to win promotion and you can bet your life that every game was similar to that one today and to what they will be for the rest of the season, attritional and tense dog fights every one. Teams playing to avoid relegation, players playing for their futures, it all contributes to the tension and pressure.

Exactly, and when you factor in the tension emanating from the terraces which the players can easily sense, free flowing pretty football is way down the list of priorities, the 3 points are king.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 10:29 pm

There really are a fair number of games involving the 6 clubs chasing 2 or 3 spots. Southend may look uncatchable but they only have 1 game vs a club outside the top 9. As for the rest of our competitors:
Stevenage have 3 vs lower teams
Argyle 3
Newport 3
Luton 2
Exeter 2

At each round of games the odds are that 1 of the clubs above will fall away. Bit like musical chairs until game 46. Now, who are we playing last game?
Back to top Go down
david_fisher

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Josh Pope wrote:

I had that misfortune and it was truely cr@p.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

I did. And I watched a lot of very similar games in the Waiters, Smith, Warnock and Sturrock promotion seasons. Here's an interesting fact for you. In 1958/59 [which was  before even I was born] Argyle were promoted to the old second divison.Their last 8 results were as follows;

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

The big difference between then and now is the 3 points for a win compared with 2 points back then. The reward for winning is greater which is why Sheridan's defensive set up
is damaging.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:01 am

Josh Pope wrote:

I didn't go today either but I bet I've watched about 100 times as many Argyle games as you have have. Do I win the cock measuring contest?
Back to top Go down
david_fisher

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:04 am

Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

I was fortunate to enjoy the promotion seasons under Waiters, Smith, Warnock & Sturrock Mk1 and the football was never anyway near as cr@p as the dross served up yesterday against Mansfield.

This season just doesn't feel like a "promotion" season. If I hadn't already paid in advance by ST I certainly wouldn't pay £22 a go for the cr@p we've been served up for the majority of thiis (and last) season.

And yes I've renewed for next season, but in the hope that the "manager" will be on his bike in the summer.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:27 am

david_fisher wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

I was fortunate to enjoy the promotion seasons under Waiters, Smith, Warnock & Sturrock Mk1 and the football was never anyway near as cr@p as the dross served up yesterday against Mansfield.

This season just doesn't feel like a "promotion" season. If I hadn't already paid in advance by ST I certainly wouldn't pay £22 a go for the cr@p we've been served up for the majority of thiis (and last) season.

And yes I've renewed for next season, but in the hope that the "manager" will be on his bike in the summer.

Even Sheridan can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
He came in January when we were 91st in the league.
I believe we have the 8th largest budget in the league if all the rumours are to be believed.
So it's progress but until we get a decent midfield we ain't going anywhere quickly.
Back to top Go down
david_fisher

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:35 am

gasser9 wrote:
david_fisher wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

I believe we have the 8th largest budget in the league if all the rumours are to be believed.
So it's progress but until we get a decent midfield we ain't going anywhere quickly.

I'm not expecting a silk purse but surely we can expect 11 professionals to be able to pass a ball to someone wearing the same colour shirt, to be able to control a ball without it running 10 yards away, to just occaisionally get shots on target rather than in row Z and other basics which we seem unable to master.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:28 am

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

The big difference between then and now is the 3 points for a win compared with 2 points back then. The reward for winning is greater which is why Sheridan's defensive set up
is damaging.

lol! You're a bonny rationaliser ,i'll give you that much. Pulis got Gillingham promoted [in the Warnock season actually] with a goal difference of 49-20 and that was long after 3 points for a win came in, there are probably plenty of other examples too. And how on earth can taking a club from 23rd in the division to the verge of the play offs via 10th place be described as "damaging"? I suppose we'll get the other bloke on here soon pontificating on how, having signed a combination of the best of the Real Madrid and Barcelona squads, Argyle should have had the division sewn up by now.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:41 am

david_fisher wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

There were some shocking games towards the end of the 102 point season, notably a 0-0 draw against Southend and a 1-0 win against Bristol Rovers. Not that I was complaining at the time and I'm not going to complain now about a big three points from a very hard match against physical opposition. For sure this team is nowhere near as good as that one but then again the players signed by Sturrock came from a different market and at a different price, bankrolled as I remember by Nik Warren after the takeover from Dan. Argyle also had a scouting system worthy of the name then which enabled Sturrock to trial a multitude of players which bore succulent fruit in a couple of cases. I don't believe the present manager has had any such luxury, so maybe the rose coloured specs need to come off before a more realistic comparative analysis is undertaken.
Back to top Go down
tagz

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 10:03 am

The current scouting system for Argyle is John Sheridan and his chief scout (who is his brother). Apparently Sheridan is quite close to Sheffield Wednesday (and has loaned Lavery and the goalkeeper).

I think under Sheridan we have had 2 trailist from abroad; one from USA in the summer and one in the summer Bhas left (Finland u21 international left back I think but he got injured during his trail).
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 10:37 am

Greenskin wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

is damaging.

lol! You're a bonny rationaliser ,i'll give you that much. Pulis got Gillingham promoted [in the Warnock season actually] with a goal difference of 49-20 and that was long after 3 points for a win came in, there are probably plenty of other examples too. And how on earth can taking a club from 23rd in the division to the verge of the play offs via 10th place be described as "damaging"? I suppose we'll get the other bloke on here soon pontificating on how, having signed a combination of the best of the Real Madrid and Barcelona squads, Argyle should have had the division sewn up by now.

The incentive to try and get three points when drawing is clearly advantageous. I'm merely defending the fifties mindset where the win bonus is not so great.
It's interesting that you select the Guardiola wannabe, Pulis , as your example to prove me wrong.
The "damaging" quote was in regards to the entertainment on offer, not the club's position.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:19 am

david_fisher wrote:
gasser9 wrote:
david_fisher wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1
D 1-1
W 1-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 1-1

I'm not expecting a silk purse but surely we can expect 11 professionals to be able to pass a ball to someone wearing the same colour shirt, to be able to control a ball without it running 10 yards away, to just occaisionally get shots on target rather than in row Z and other basics which we seem unable to master.

Not sure of your rationale here.
First you want to get rid of Sheridan and then blame the players for not being able to find another green shirt.
You could have Mourinho as manager but even he cannot teach players to pass that's a basic instinct that every professional should have.
I agree with you it's dire to watch sometimes but to keep blaming Sheridan for the lack of a basic footballing skill is not on IMO.
We are desperate for a couple of decent midfielders.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:25 am

Iggy wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

I didn't go today either but I bet I've watched about 100 times as many Argyle games as you have have. Do I win the cock measuring contest?

It's a fair enough question from Josh in my opinion.

Plenty of loud opinions on here that Sheridan really is great, but it is Brent's paltry budget that is holding him back. It is a fair enough question to ask if the fans that support Sheridan actually watch the performances, or just celebrate and taunt on here from the keyboards each time he wins (even if against sides, particularly lately, we would be very disappointed to not beat, such as Mansfield and Cheltenham, all the while dropping points against the more competitive sides).

I never went to the match yesterday, but I do have gripes with Sheridan's management. I fully believe a more positive manager would have unlocked the creative elements of our squad a lot better, and really have had us pushing for top 3, as sides above us have done on equally as ordinary '7th - 9th' placed budgets (how factual is that statistic anyway?).

Now it is all about the points so with 4 games to go, it isnt the right time to question Sheridan's footballing philosophy against a poor Mansfield side at home. Sheridan and the players had a mission and they accomplished it. But I do understand why fans still have that deflated feeling. 40% possession and less shots and shots on target at home to a poor footballing side like this? We all know what the players are capable of, great incisive creative football particularly at home, and we have had another stale grinding performance against poor opposition where we have just about edged it by virtue of two set piece headers. But as ugly on the eye these goals and performances are, it is a relief to see other players scoring a few goals - far too often a below par performance from Reuben means our chances of scoring a goal whatsoever is slim, and the team needs to be better and more resolutr than merely whether or not the number 9 feels up for it.

Moving forward, we have got two winnable home games against Wimbledon and Tranmere. We need to be throwing 100% focus and concentration into delivering two wins in these games. If we can, by virtue of goal difference we will be on the equivalent of 71 points, which is odds on to be enough for a playoff spot. Our position is certainly a lot rosier with the win yesterday and results elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 12:23 pm

ejh wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

Plenty of loud opinions on here that Sheridan really is great, but it is Brent's paltry budget that is holding him back. It is a fair enough question to ask if the fans that support Sheridan actually watch the performances, or just celebrate and taunt on here from the keyboards each time he wins (even if against sides, particularly lately, we would be very disappointed to not beat, such as Mansfield and Cheltenham, all the while dropping points against the more competitive sides).

I never went to the match yesterday, but I do have gripes with Sheridan's management. I fully believe a more positive manager would have unlocked the creative elements of our squad a lot better, and really have had us pushing for top 3, as sides above us have done on equally as ordinary '7th - 9th' placed budgets (how factual is that statistic anyway?).

Now it is all about the points so with 4 games to go, it isnt the right time to question Sheridan's footballing philosophy against a poor Mansfield side at home. Sheridan and the players had a mission and they accomplished it. But I do understand why fans still have that deflated feeling. 40% possession and less shots and shots on target at home to a poor footballing side like this? We all know what the players are capable of, great incisive creative football particularly at home, and we have had another stale grinding performance against poor opposition where we have just about edged it by virtue of two set piece headers. But as ugly on the eye these goals and performances are, it is a relief to see other players scoring a few goals - far too often a below par performance from Reuben means our chances of scoring a goal whatsoever is slim, and the team needs to be better and more resolutr than merely whether or not the number 9 feels up for it.

Moving forward, we have got two winnable home games against Wimbledon and Tranmere. We need to be throwing 100% focus and concentration into delivering two wins in these games. If we can, by virtue of goal difference we will be on the equivalent of 71 points, which is odds on to be enough for a playoff spot. Our position is certainly a lot rosier with the win yesterday and results elsewhere.
Oh Dear ejh you are becoming more and more bitter, that poor mansfield team still had to be beaten, i'm very happy celebrating that we accomplished getting the three points! Shez is doing a good job keeping this RagBag collection of loans and very average players in the playoff position, how he does it matters not to this keyboard warrior.Laughing
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

david_fisher wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

I had that misfortune and it was truely cr@p.

Glad I made the right call and not go, spent the afternoon digging over my allotment - much more productive by the sound of it.
Will however subject myself to more footballing stress on Tuesday.
THREE CHEERS FOR SHERIDAN
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 12:57 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
ejh wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

Oh Dear ejh you are becoming more and more bitter, that poor mansfield team still had to be beaten, i'm very happy celebrating that we accomplished getting the three points! Shez is doing a good job keeping this RagBag collection of loans and very average players in the playoff position, how he does it matters not to this keyboard warrior.Laughing

You should be applauding Brent for signing such a great manager then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:15 pm

steveinspain wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
ejh wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

Lose and it is Brent's fault for signing shit players who do not have an illustrious history of goalscoring. Sheridan presumably takes no responsibility for signing said players with no history of goalscoring, it is all Brent's fault we signed predominantly defensive minded players.

Win and beat Mansfield at home and a hapless Cheltenham away, and Sheridan is a bloody underrated genius who is taking the Argyle express to promotionland!

If you spend a few weeks around here you will soon pick up the formula for assigning blame and credit. Any and all footballing progress is Sheridan's accomplishment. Any perceived failure or underachievement, including individual matches and bizarre tactical decisions (Mellor up front?) somehow always has its root causes in James Brent being evil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:22 pm

ejh wrote:
steveinspain wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
ejh wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

Lose and it is Brent's fault for signing shit players who do not have an illustrious history of goalscoring. Sheridan presumably takes no responsibility for signing said players with no history of goalscoring, it is all Brent's fault we signed predominantly defensive minded players.

Win and beat Mansfield at home and a hapless Cheltenham away, and Sheridan is a bloody underrated genius who is taking the Argyle express to promotionland!

If you spend a few weeks around here you will soon pick up the formula for assigning blame and credit. Any and all footballing progress is Sheridan's accomplishment. Any perceived failure or underachievement, including individual matches and bizarre tactical decisions (Mellor up front?) somehow always has its root causes in James Brent being evil.

What bullshit, Brent being evil? Brent has been accused on the whole of being a bad business man, an asset stripper and more interested in associated property deals than in taking Argyle forward. Fairly accurate assessment IMO. He remains tight lipped about the level of debt at the club, we know not what the budget is but it's clearly not good enough. We are not offering enough wages even though we boast the highest crowds in the division which is why we have signed players that are "good for this division" and in this division we will stay without a decent amount of luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three Cheers For Shez!   Three Cheers For Shez! Empty

Back to top Go down

Three Cheers For Shez!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next