The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How much debt is acceptable?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

How much debt is acceptable? Empty
PostSubject: How much debt is acceptable?   How much debt is acceptable? EmptySat 14 Mar - 12:37

Just thinking aloud here following the recent welcome announcement that Argyle is now breaking even.

When we hit admin we were more or less £17m in debt. Shortly before that our turnover was £9m so, roughly speaking, peak debt at twice peak turnover was unsustainable. That means that debt near 200% of turnover must be the limit.

Currently our turnover is over £4m suggesting that as things stand the club would collapse again if it had to support £8m of debt but clearly we'd not want to push that close to the edge. How close to it is reasonable? 75%?

I suppose realistically it isn't the size of the debt that matters but the repayment schedule which brings us back to turnover again. 10% turnover set aside for debt repayment makes £400k per year which could be factored in.

The next thing is the timescale. How long do we want to be paying £400k per year for? Most house mortages run for 25 years but we'd probably prefer a shorter time scale. How much shorter? 20 years? Still seems too long. 10 years? Hmm. Not sure.

So how much money would £400k annually over 10 years support? Well that depends on the interest rate... Playing with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] allows a little experimentation.

400k per year is about £33k per month. I've no idea what interest might be chargeable so I'm guessing 5%.

10 years of £33k/month @ 5% ~ approx £3m

15 years of £33k/month @ 5% ~ approx £4.5m

20 years of £33k/month @ 5% ~ approx £5m

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

How much debt is acceptable?
Page 1 of 1