Mapperley, darling
argyl3
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Oxford away - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
It's you that are being mugged. Plymouth 0 has appeared in 13 of our matches this season. We average a fraction over a goal a game. You now pine for the days of Hourihane ! Well all can say is what would a Friio be worth. Jesus wept indeed.

You've kind of proven my point lol! Hourihane has been the best chance we've had of developing a Friio type for years - not necessarily in style, but certainly in attacking prowess from the midfield. To buy in a proven "Friio" these days, well apparently the Argyle price is about 200k, but I think most clubs would be asking for a tad more. I'm saying we were mugs for taking 200k considering that there's been so many occasions in which we've failed to score, with him still in the side we'd be a far far greater side.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Hourihane is, potentially, a good player who played far too deep. Barnsley use him wisely. Anyone with his ability should be further forward. For that I blame Sheridan.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Well he first gained a goalscoring knack under Sheridan as he chipped in with a few vital goals in our relegation battle, largely thanks to Lee Cox doing the dirty work to give him licence to get forward. Last season we lacked a defensive midfielder to do that role and so Conor was having to sacrifice much of his drive forward to keep things sturdy in the middle. He still managed 9 goals... Sheridan then managed to acquire Lee Cox in the summer, presumably wanting to reform the midfield partnership that was so successful in his first 6 months as manager. Hourihane buggered off to Barnsley and the rest is history. Sheridan failed to recruit a good enough defensive midfielder to partner Hourihane after failing to get Lee Cox back and now he's failed to get a replacement in for Hourihane. So in part you could blame Sheridan there, but he was hardly helped by the board in this instance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

We 'd have been a potential top 3 side this season with Hourihane's influence.

For £200k we were mugged, and we all knew it at the time too. It was only the board who couldn't see.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 6:22 pm

ejh wrote:
We 'd have been a potential top 3 side this season with Hourihane's influence.

For £200k we were mugged, and we all knew it at the time too. It was only the board who couldn't see.
Broadly agree with the caveat that we'd have an entirely different side without Hourihane as not so much of his fee/wages could have been re-invested. However, I'd much sooner have one Hourihane than three squad players. I do think that SOME of the criticism on this forum is unwarranted at times but I genuinely think selling such a fantastic player for such a modest fee was the biggest mistake to have been made this side of administration.

Last edited by GreenSam on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Hourihane is, potentially, a good player who played far too deep. Barnsley use him wisely. Anyone with his ability should be further forward. For that I blame Sheridan.

I'm sure he'll be gutted that you blame him.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 6:55 pm

I think I touched a nerve there Les. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 7:05 pm

Likewise Rollo Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Nah, not really. I criticised Sheridan for holding Hourihane back. You criticise the managerial abilities of three managers with 12 promotions between them. Not quite the same.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Nah, not really. I criticised Sheridan for holding Hourihane back. You criticise the managerial abilities of three managers with 12 promotions between them. Not quite the same.

12 eh, good research, I really did strike a nerve. Any relegations or were they sacked/stood down/or left by mutual consent Wink just beforehand?
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 11:20 pm

Something tells me that you'll always want the last word on this. Dilemma time!
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 11:24 pm

Go for it Rollo..... tumbleweed
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Come on Rollo..

fishing fishing fishing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oxford away   Oxford away - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oxford away
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5