Josh Pope
pepsipete
zyph
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 9:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
What does everybody else think about this? Are we a more advanced society if we didn't smack kids or is the lack of smacking causing a culture of indiscipline in schools and society?
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 10:34 am

What do you mean by smacking.....some would use a wooden kitchen spoon....quite traditional in some areas......others the flat of your hand on the lower leg....all as the last resort when a child would not take no for an answer.

If you do not believe a child should never be smacked.....then have you the patience and time to reason forever with a child to correct their misbehaviour.....lucky you if you have.

My two...... a girl and a boy when needed did get a moderate smack now and again.......and in due course it always ended with a cuddle....after awhile....that was in the 1970's....when smacking wasn't frowned on.....by the majority.

Personally looking at children of today and an obvious lack of any discipline in many families....a smack might of helped them to understand that they cannot have things always there own way.....political correctness has a lot to answer for.

PS......my two now in their fourties are both married with families and have in my opinion grown up with no hangovers and are loving parents ,both living within 5 minutes of us and we see them all regularly.....we have no regrets and I'm sure that they have no problems in how we brought them up.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 10:45 am

Agree with Zyph
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 pm

I think there are better ways of disciplining a child than having to physically hurt them, but I do see your point Zyph.

It's probably very difficult for me to get an idea of it properly, having never had children.. But still, I like to think I'd never smack my child.

Mind you.. Ask me again in 30 years eh! Wink
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 4:56 pm

If I had a child who was always on the cider, spent 23 hours a day online and kept missing lessons a firm bordering on hard slap would be the least I could offer Very Happy fishing
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 5:03 pm

I used to give my Kids a smack when they were naughty but the wife used to do her nut so I stopped.

I then used to lick my Kids on the hand or face when they were naughty and the wife still used to do her nut!

I can't win! Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 9:29 pm

zyph wrote:
What do you mean by smacking.....some would use a wooden kitchen spoon....quite traditional in some areas......others the flat of your hand on the lower leg....all as the last resort when a child would not take no for an answer.

If you do not believe a child should never be smacked.....then have you the patience and time to reason forever with a child to correct their misbehaviour.....lucky you if you have.

My two...... a girl and a boy when needed did get a moderate smack now and again.......and in due course it always ended with a cuddle....after awhile....that was in the 1970's....when smacking wasn't frowned on.....by the majority.

Personally looking at children of today and an obvious lack of any discipline in many families....a smack might of helped them to understand that they cannot have things always there own way.....political correctness has a lot to answer for.

PS......my two now in their fourties are both married with families and have in my opinion grown up with no hangovers and are loving parents ,both living within 5 minutes of us and we see them all regularly.....we have no regrets and I'm sure that they have no problems in how we brought them up.

i think a lot depends on talking to children, a smack is fine in a 'soft' place in my view ie not the head. a smack whilst teaching right from wrong can be helped witgh conversation about whta behaviour is expected - to avoid a smack !

no enjoyment from it, i actually find it heartbreakng but neceessessary

Back to top Go down
bjorn_yesterday

bjorn_yesterday

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 5:57 pm

"He who has no children raises them well"

- Spanish proverb
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 6:20 pm

This is what you call proper discipline;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Just noticed this and find it highly relevant, I am just about to batter the living crap out of my grand daughter, I've had her for a week, chicken pox and now a cold, she is driving me crazy.

I've got two daughters, never smacked either of them, never had any call to, I occasionally see obnoxious kids but feel it would be a far better idea to slap the parents.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 6:53 pm

The parents deffo require a slap. My kids never really needed a smack, apart from the odd light one.
Kids copy their parents.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 9:47 am

Lord Tisdale wrote:
It would be a far better idea to slap the parents.

True dat.

I don't think kids' behaviour is getting worse in general - far from it.  When I was at secondary school in the 1990s, to hold a door open for a teacher was to commit instant social suicide. Now, as someone who spends a fair amount of time in schools over the course of a week, I can't open a door myself because some dutiful 15-year-old with a beard like Hagrid will do it for me (and the schools I work in are mostly secondaries in fairly deprived areas).  Obviously exceptions do exist, but on the whole young people seem to be more respectful, more sensible (very few of them seem to drink or smoke any more - what do they do in the evenings?) and harder working.  Just as well given the shitstorm they'll be exposed to when the real world is inflicted on them.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Mocky's on smack, and he won't be comin' back
No he won't be comin' back, for the holidays
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

Smacking kids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smacking kids   Smacking kids Empty