+2
PatDunne
Josh Pope
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh Pope

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 12:41 am

Excellent story, say what you like but I think it's great that the club encourages this sort of thing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 1:57 am

Josh Pope wrote:
Excellent story, say what you like but I think it's great that the club encourages this sort of thing.

not this again  affraid

The club can promote Luke as the new princess Diana all it likes its NEVER going to erase what he did and the clubs media dept need to stop thinking that all this PR is going to change that in anyway. Its quite sickening that they think it will tbh.

Luke could be the nicest guy that ever graced gods green earth and having meet before a few times he is indeed a nice chap. Also, Luke could be the greatest goalkeeper since Peter Schmeichel and he is indeed a very good goalkeeper one of which could have played in the prem imo its still not going to erase what he did because you just cant shake it off.

If someone like Nelson Mandela couldnt shake off the terrorist tag after all he did when he left prison and indeed init Luke isnt going to shake off death by dangerous driving because the club posts articles and videos about how nice he is and cobi using him to troll twitter to feed his ADD. the sooner people accept it the better the situation will be for all.

He has done his time and managed to make the most of his second chance since coming out the nick that he is entitled too and rebuilt his career and personal life so kudos to him for doing that. I believe the fact he isnt so hounded by the media and negativity posted in articles is due to his conduct off the field, low profile and performances on in goal and thats is how it should be. Lets keep it that way too.

As for the video, i have to say he showed great restraint not too wallop that annoying little shit running around cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:15 am

No need Luke, just keep your head down and don't do stuff like this. Cobi Budge think mate......
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 7:53 am

This is not about Luke's incident though, this is about rewarding a young Argyle fan.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 am

Josh Pope wrote:
This is not about Luke's incident though, this is about rewarding a young Argyle fan.

FCOL!! He doesn't need to do it in public FFS!!.........He could still reward the young fan without the cameras being there.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

FCOL!!  He doesn't need to do it in public  FFS!!.........He could still reward the young fan without the cameras being there.

This.

Luke IS a good bloke. But he's a good bloke who made a seriously bad judgement call which tragically had catastrophic results. With the history he has now,  highlighting any stuff he does in the media is lose lose, because the inevitable hero-worship that follows (usually from impressionable teenagers) is wholely inappropriate.

As Les says, by all means do it if he must, but keep it in house because even if it isn't intended, it will come across as a social rehabilitation PR exercise.

Oh and another thing, the video looks like it was shot and edited by a six year old. Village to the end!
Back to top Go down
womble

womble

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 1:24 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

FCOL!!  He doesn't need to do it in public  FFS!!.........He could still reward the young fan without the cameras being there.

This.

Luke IS a good bloke. But he's a good bloke who made a seriously bad judgement call which tragically had catastrophic results. With the history he has now,  highlighting any stuff he does in the media is lose lose, because the inevitable hero-worship that follows (usually from impressionable teenagers) is wholely inappropriate.

As Les says, by all means do it if he must, but keep it in house because even if it isn't intended, it will come across as a social rehabilitation PR exercise.

Oh and another thing, the video looks like it was shot and edited by a six year old. Village to the end!

This
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:33 pm

+1
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 5:16 pm

I do 100% see your point but in this case it's for me a nice thing to do.

Anyway, this debate has been had so many times now it's not worth starting up again! Just wanted to share this piece of Argyle news. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
I do 100% see your point but in this case it's for me a nice thing to do.

Anyway, this debate has been had so many times now it's not worth starting up again! Just wanted to share this piece of Argyle news. Very Happy

Its pointless news and a shameful PR Stunt that i fail to see why it was newsworthy of the club to report on in anycase regardless of who did it.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Angry wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

not this again  affraid

The club can promote Luke as the new princess Diana all it likes its NEVER going to erase what he did and the clubs media dept need to stop thinking that all this PR is going to change that in anyway. Its quite sickening that they think it will tbh.

Luke could be the nicest guy that ever graced gods green earth and having meet before a few times he is indeed a nice chap. Also, Luke could be the greatest goalkeeper since Peter Schmeichel and he is indeed a very good goalkeeper one of which could have played in the prem imo  its still not going to erase what he did because you just cant shake it off.

If someone like Nelson Mandela couldnt shake off the terrorist tag after all he did when he left prison and indeed init Luke isnt going to shake off death by dangerous driving because the club posts articles and videos about how nice he is and cobi using him to troll twitter to feed his ADD. the sooner people accept it the better the situation will be for all.

He has done his time and managed to make the most of his second chance since coming out the nick that he is entitled too and rebuilt his career and personal life so kudos to him for doing that. I believe the fact he isnt so hounded by the media and negativity posted in articles is due to his conduct off the field, low profile and performances on in goal and thats is how it should be. Lets keep it that way too.

As for the video, i have to say he showed great restraint not too wallop that annoying little shit running around cheers cheers

What has this got to do with Luke's past?

A family wrote in to the club to see if Luke could possibly meet a fan who idolised him, Luke was happy to oblige. Sending Curtis Nelson or Lewis Alessandra wouldn't really have meant half as much to the boy.

The club filmed it because it's a feel good story.

As far as I am aware, the dust regarding McCormick's right to play professional football has largely settled. When the vast majority of the public were against Ched Evans playing football, McCormick was actually praised in the media as a reformed character; a man who came to terms with his actions, who accepted his punishment, who conveyed his sincere guilt to the family of his victims (in private), who returned to football having to deal with constant detractors at the same time as being selected to captain the squad and serve as a role model for the team - rather than spiral into alcoholism and the depths of his conscience as you might expect.

How McCormick and the club handled that period has served as a model of how a convicted man can deal with a great many delicate factors with dignity and respect.

With that in mind I would suggest this video is not a PR video for Luke. If there was a time to persuade the public Luke really is a lovely guy to deflect some of the heat, it was several years ago, not now.

This is more about making a young supporter very happy. When Curtis Nelson visited a woman who couldn't attend matches like she used to, it passed as it ought to have - with applause from supporters, but largely unnoticed. I'd suggest this story ought to be treated just the same without needing to analyse and drag up what is really best left undragged.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 4:55 pm

ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

not this again  affraid

Luke could be the nicest guy that ever graced gods green earth and having meet before a few times he is indeed a nice chap. Also, Luke could be the greatest goalkeeper since Peter Schmeichel and he is indeed a very good goalkeeper one of which could have played in the prem imo  its still not going to erase what he did because you just cant shake it off.

What has this got to do with Luke's past?

A family wrote in to the club to see if Luke could possibly meet a fan who idolised him, Luke was happy to oblige. Sending Curtis Nelson or Lewis Alessandra wouldn't really have meant half as much to the boy.

The club filmed it because it's a feel good story.

As far as I am aware, the dust regarding McCormick's right to play professional football has largely settled. When the vast majority of the public were against Ched Evans playing football, McCormick was actually praised in the media as a reformed character; a man who came to terms with his actions, who accepted his punishment, who conveyed his sincere guilt to the family of his victims (in private), who returned to football having to deal with constant detractors at the same time as being selected to captain the squad and serve as a role model for the team - rather than spiral into alcoholism and the depths of his conscience as you might expect.

How McCormick and the club handled that period has served as a model of how a convicted man can deal with a great many delicate factors with dignity and respect.

With that in mind I would suggest this video is not a PR video for Luke. If there was a time to persuade the public Luke really is a lovely guy to deflect some of the heat, it was several years ago, not now.

This is more about making a young supporter very happy. When Curtis Nelson visited a woman who couldn't attend matches like she used to, it passed as it ought to have - with respect from supporters, but largely unnoticed. I'd suggest this story ought to be treated in the same regard.

she asked for a signed photo not a auidence with his holiness. Plus if you cant see how inappropriate it is for someone responsible for killing two kids to be promoted like the club did by uploading that vid meeting a young kid then i dont know how to explain it clearer. To my knowledge curtis nelson never offed an OAP so that is irrelevant to this point.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 12:45 am

Do you think the mother was disappointed that Luke made the effort to go to the boys house, sign a pair of gloves that he'd saved a penalty in and give them to the young lad? Yeah I'm sure she was gutted that Argyle and Luke went the extra mile because after all, the lad would have been much more pleased with a signed photo in the post.

When I was a kid, probably a similar age to that young lad, I loved Luke McCormick just as much as him, and I remember being in the Chisholm lounge and Luke gave me a signed pair of gloves which I still have today, I felt over the moon, as I'm sure this kid does at the moment.

Great story, makes me proud to be a fan of this club and I don't know why people feel the need to put a dampener on it, by raising this story nobody is raising Luke's past, the people who say that it is are the ones who are doing it, knowingly or not.

Well done Argyle and well done Luke. There's a feel good factor around at the moment and it's wonderful to see the players giving back to fans like this. This is something to be celebrated and not picked apart.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 12:50 am

Pitbull wrote:
Do you think the mother was disappointed that Luke made the effort to go to the boys house, sign a pair of gloves that he'd saved a penalty in and give them to the young lad? Yeah I'm sure she was gutted that Argyle and Luke went the extra mile because after all, the lad would have been much more pleased with a signed photo in the post.

When I was a kid, probably a similar age to that young lad, I loved Luke McCormick just as much as him, and I remember being in the Chisholm lounge and Luke gave me a signed pair of gloves which I still have today, I felt over the moon, as I'm sure this kid does at the moment.

Great story, makes me proud to be a fan of this club.

Could've done all of the above without the cameras being there, why the need for the publicity, you kids just don't get it do you? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 am

I know for a fact Luke does things like this without the cameras being there so I'm pretty confident he didn't say "alright but I'm not doing it unless there's a few cameras so it goes on youtube".

It's a feel good story, nothing to do with Luke's past, they did the same with Nelson.

The club and club captain come across really well here, celebrate it, don't berate it.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 am

Pitbull wrote:
I know for a fact Luke does things like this without the cameras being there so I'm pretty confident he didn't say "alright but I'm not doing it unless there's a few cameras so it goes on youtube".

It's a feel good story, nothing to do with Luke's past, they did the same with Nelson.

The club and club captain come across really well here, celebrate it, don't berate it.

So am I, but what he should've said imo is I'm not doing it unless it's without the cameras.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 am

Pitbull wrote:

Great story, makes me proud to be a fan of this club and I don't know why people feel the need to put a dampener on it, by raising this story nobody is raising Luke's past, the people who say that it is are the ones who are doing it, knowingly or not.

Well done Argyle and well done Luke. There's a feel good factor around at the moment and it's wonderful to see the players giving back to fans like this. This is something to be celebrated and not picked apart.

If you dont see why someone with lukes conviction being videoed for PR purposes by the club meeting a kid roughly the same age as the two he killed then there you clearly just fishing for attention still at your age. I put the fact it had to be filmed down to the shoddy media department than i do Luke.

As Les Mis says it didnt need to be filmed the club could have held that meeting if it had too without the cameras other than a photo or two and it still would have made the kids day none the less im sure with him just turning up for 5 mins.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 1:53 am

Angry wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

If you dont see why someone with lukes conviction being videoed for PR purposes by the club meeting a kid roughly the same age as the two he killed then there you clearly just fishing for attention still at your age. I put the fact it had to be filmed down to the shoddy media department than i do Luke.

As Les Mis says it didnt need to be filmed the club could have held that meeting if it had too without the cameras other than a photo or two and it still would have made the kids day none the less im sure with him just turning up for 5 mins.

I highly doubt it had anything to do with giving Luke good PR because of his past, they did it with Nelson, our captain, now they've done it with Luke, our club captain, and I'm sure they'll do it with someone else before the season is out. Luke isn't standing infront of a camera talking about his past and explaining what a wonderful guy he is, he's simply doing something nice for a young fan, and this is something he does on a regular basis even when the camera's are not there, he's passionate about the club and has all the time in the world for the fans.

Incidentally, the video has been watched 2000 times, no abuse or criticism posted anywhere about it, no 'dislikes' on the video, in fact, the only people who really seem offended or concerned by it are those on here. I saw a tweet this week from a Blackburn fan about the video, he said that he had opposed Luke's return to football and called him a 'murderer', but he said this video, along with Luke's low profile and good attitude, his mind had turned and he had begun to see this as a success story in rehabilitation.

Posting a feel good video on the club youtube page isn't pumping out publicity, it's hardly as if we've booked a prime time spot on BBC1 for this to be shown.

I say it again, makes me proud to support a club with players like Luke & Curtis, and it makes me proud to support a club who go out of their way to make fans happy.
Back to top Go down
womble

womble

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 6:19 am

The key phrase in your post above Cobi is "low profile". Thats why his return to football is not greatly opposed. Lets keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 7:47 am

It's pointless trying to get the kid to understand.  Love really is blind.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 am

Les Miserable wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

Could've done all of the above without the cameras being there, why the need for the publicity, you kids just don't get it do you? Rolling Eyes

As Cobi says, Luke has always given his time (and his gloves) to young supporters. You are picking up on the first ever recording of it on camera, the vast majority has never been known by anyone else. Instead of reflecting on how our footballers give back and like to help supporters, and how it's a good thing, we have to read about how Luke is a child killer and shouldn't burden young kids with his presence. What a horrible way to think.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:42 am

ejh wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

As Cobi says, Luke has always given his time (and his gloves) to young supporters. You are picking up on the first ever recording of it on camera, the vast majority has never been known by anyone else. Instead of reflecting on how our footballers give back and like to help supporters, and how it's a good thing, we have to read about how Luke is a child killer and shouldn't burden young kids with his presence. What a horrible way to think.

Not once have I mentioned anything about Luke being a child killer, but where he is concerned it's definitely a case of NO off field publicity is good publicity imo, a concept you along with Josh and Cobi seem to be struggling with, must be an age thing.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:48 am

Les Miserable wrote:
ejh wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

Not once have I mentioned anything about Luke being a child killer, but where he is concerned it's definitely a case of NO off field publicity is good publicity imo, a concept you along with Josh and Cobi seem to be struggling with, must be an age thing.

Seems that way to me.
Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
ejh wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

Most fans seem to be perfectly comfortable with Luke making an effort to visit the supporters who idolise him. Taking the cameras gives us supporters an insight to the joy that the players we pay to see can bring to others. So I'd suggest it is you who is 'struggling' here, not myself or Cobi. Bear in mind that supporters aged 12 and under aren't generally as soured in their outlook as yourself. Please don't put it down to your age, wisdom or sagacity - your objections to this are based on your own attitude and outlook, which doesn't appear to be a ray of sunshine.

Let McCormick make young fans happy where he can. If the supporters can enjoy a bit of insight into the community work the players voluntarily do, then let the cameras follow. If some supporters want to continue to moan and gripe about something inherently positive, I guess it says more about themselves than the players or the club.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 1:50 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Czarcasm wrote:
It's pointless trying to get the kid to understand.  Love really is blind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Luke visits Liam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke visits Liam   Luke visits Liam Empty

Back to top Go down

Luke visits Liam
Page 1 of 1