tigertony
PatDunne
Tgwu
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

oldway update - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:27 pm

A quote from FRANK SOBEY in the Herald Express

Now let me tell you about that ambush. My 'ambusher' was an activist from the 'Save Oldway for the People' group and happened to be attending Circle of Change and materialised in the row behind me.

His unexpected tap on my shoulder made me jump and the verbal download had me clutching the edges of my seat. My ambusher was at the end of his tether because of the silence about the future of Oldway Mansion.

Let me make my position completely clear. I love Oldway Mansion and spend many hours in the gardens. The fact the building is rapidly deteriorating is a source of sadness for many.

Of course the relationship between the developer and Torbay Council is public knowledge.

The Circle of Change music started and the conversation stopped, but the frustrated activist did make me think. I always worry about institutional silence and the 'behind closed doors' landscape. Perhaps this worries you also. Certainly as the recent Mayor's Forum the response to 'what is happening?' question was a nod and a thank you. Hmm.

The interior of Oldway Mansion is stunning and for those of you who watched the latest BBC drama The Coroner had a delightful 'tour' last week as Claire Goose walked up the stunning stairway to the Mayor's Parlour.

Curiously some months ago I happened to be walking the dogs around Oldway as the BBC were filming. I've always been a Claire Goose fan and felt rather lucky to see her acting on Oldway's garden steps.

The Coroner has been filmed in South Devon and will do wonders for tourism. That has to be good news for Torbay given the doubtful future for marketing here.

So many stunning lengthy local scenes which include Torquay, sunny Broadsands beach, Dartmouth and Totnes. Annoyingly this was afternoon television and so unless, like me, you recorded it then it might have slipped your attention.

Claire Goose obviously enjoyed her time filming and doubtless was captivated by the interior of Oldway Mansion. It's a shame we can't also be captivated since the doors are now locked and the building closed to locals and tourists.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Scandal' of Paignton's Oldway Mansion

THE state of Paignton's jewel in the crown Oldway Mansion — earmarked for a luxury hotel and homes scheme — has been described as a scandal.

It is 10 years since the redevelopment was first mooted by Torbay Council because it could no longer afford the upkeep of the historic buildings, modelled on the Palace of Versailles. And it is six years since the preferred developer was chosen, but there is still little sign of work starting on the houses and hotel conversion.

The council and developers, Akkeron, remain locked in talks. Now the Friends of Oldway Mansion, chaired by Paul Hawthorne, are considering making an official complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman or similar watchdog about the dilapidated state of the building. They are angry about the lack of communication from Torbay Council.

The giant doors of the mansion built by Isaac Singer have been shut since 2013 after the council offices, cafe and the register office closed.

But the interior of the mansion has appeared twice on national television this year, on both the Antiques Road Trip and the BBC drama The Coroner.

Friends' chairman Paul Hawthorne said their annual meeting was not attended by council representatives. He said although the TV publicity was good for Oldway, the deteriorating state of the buildings dominated the meeting.

"None of us could have believed that almost a decade later, the building would be closed up with no repairs of any note carried out. The plight of the mansion and outbuildings has become a scandal everyone should be aware of.

"Throughout all this time the Friends have engaged with a process we hoped represented our best hope for Oldway. Members were angry about the total lack of updates and communication in the last six months. This is notably the first annual meeting where Torbay Council could not attend."

He added: "When the group was formed in 2007 Oldway was fully occupied, and was still the second most popular place in the UK to get married. It had a thriving café open daily and thousands of visitors and residents came to marvel at the great staircase.

"This jewel has been unceremoniously wrenched away from the community. Restoring the building to us all must now be the priority of all parties."

The Friends voted to approach the Local Government Ombudsman or similar watchdog stating concerns regarding how the fate of the Oldway estate is being managed.

Mr Hawthorne said this year's meeting was marked by a sharp shift in the mood of the membership.

A spokesman for Torbay Council said: "We are unable to comment on this issue at the moment."

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 5:21 pm

At last the Friends have decided to stir something up. This Brent character really is turning out to be a right little speculating creep, with no regard for the community at all. Bottom line maths, "land banking" and holding rabbits over the coals. He's proving to be more of a disgrace than I first suspected.
I bet the line between Plymouth and Torbay councils is red hot when Brent pulls another made up delay and controversy. On and on and on, trying to wrest any little pound of flesh.
It's pretty obvious to me, he has no intention whatsoever of doing the mansion itself justice, well, not without someone else stumping up the money. I think the guy has got serious issues. People do, and they're not all working class on the bones of their arse. What on earth was he doing hoovering up all these properties across the south west ? About time some of the cheap QE money went to the ordinary people.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 11:55 pm

We enter another year, there is still no news forthcoming on Oldway, here is the latest request for information

By Herald Express | Posted: December 29, 2015

LINCOLN SHAW: Concern over Oldway Mansion

WHAT is happening at Oldway Mansion? Like fellow columnist Frank Sobey, who asked the question in his excellent 'Elephant in the Room' article last week, I am puzzled and concerned about the future of the magnificent building that was such an important part of my life when I was merely elderly and broadcasting almost daily from our BBC studio there.

Where I made so many friends, including several who, sadly, are no longer with us.

We rarely visit Torbay these days so I am completely out of touch with what is going on there but, like Frank, fear that Oldway's future does not look bright. Isn't it about time this 'wall of silence', as Frank describes it, is ended and someone on high gives an account of just what is going on. Many people are waiting for a frank statement on what the future holds for this historic building and its magnificent grounds.

Not least the 'Friends of Oldway' who deserve to be given more information about a situation that must be very frustrating for them.

Come on Torbay councillors. Let us have some more news about what is happening at Oldway — good or bad

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 11:16 am

I want a pair of Teflon underpants like Sir Jimmy wears, how does he get away with this shite?
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 am

Utterly Disgraceful simple as. Potters a chancer through and through nothing less
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Oldway Mansion new move

GIVE Oldway Mansion back to the people is the call from a petition signed by more than 1,700 residents to Mayor Gordon Oliver.

Torbay Liberal Democrats who have started the petition were handing it in at Torquay town hall today.

Paignton councillor and former Torbay MP Adrian Sanders said the council should call a halt to the agreement it has with developers Akkeron for a luxury hotel in the mansion and stables and houses in the grounds.

Mr Sanders said they believed a community project could attract charitable funding and said it would be up to the public to decide what use the building is put to.

He said some construction would be needed in the grounds to help finance the repairs and improvements but the public would be able to decide what form of development it would take.

Cllr Sanders said: "Work should have started in January 2013 on the site. The petition calls on the mayor to bring things to a conclusion.

"When it went to Akkeron the public wasn't asked if it wanted the mansion to be held by a charitable trust, just which developer people preferred.

"Money is available from the sale of Fernham for flats as seed corn and is held in a joint account with Torbay Council.

"It is possible money could come from various charitable trusts, which the council cant apply to, volunteers could help, and there is the posssibility of lottery funding."

He added: "What happens at Oldway would be up to public consultation, there could still be weddings and events but there would need to be a more substantial business plan."

He said they had raised 1,777 signatures in their first draft of the petition.

"We want the Mayor to end the uncertainty and take Oldway forward."

Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 7:44 pm

I don't see how the councils given him all these projects without putting deadlines in the contracts.
Gross incompetence!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 7:47 pm

God our chairman is an embarresment I wish he'd fork orf.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks for your update TG. Your journo role Laughing is much appreciated by me. I refuse to go near the local press trash, so your copy and pastes are brilliant and keep this news pauper informed. In fact, it irritates me greatly when the likes of Angry comment on something, and do nothing but giver a link to, say , the Herald, that I just will not follow. Take a leaf out of TG's book, Angers, if you think that paper is trash, don't encourage fans on here to log onto their website. Just paste the relevant bit. Why give Brent's Herald the hit ?

Good to see the Oldway/Torbay folk have finally really twigged what Brent is all about. Plymouth Council worked him out rather quicker, but at least now, his Westcountry delinquent squatting is a well known behaviour that needs addressing.
If the banks can call time on his hotel nonsense, I'm sure the local councils can see him off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2016 9:06 am

I would like to echo LB's remarks re TGWU well done that man.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 am

The Flying Piglet will be along in a minute to defend his Master pig pig
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Oldway Mansion: now it's going to court

CLAIM for more than £8million damages has been issued by the would-be Oldway Mansion developers against Torbay Council, it has been confirmed.

The company has lodged the claim for damages at a court in Bristol.

Oldway Mansion Ltd, a company set up by the Akkeron Group, says the action has been taken because it still wants to draw down the leases and start its proposed housing and four star luxury hotel development at the historic Paignton estate.

Torbay Council says it denies the allegations and will 'robustly' defend its position.

Akkeron took on plans to develop Oldway from Urban Splash in August 2010 and signed a binding contract in September 2012.

In recent months both sides have been locked in talks and no statements have been forthcoming from either side.

There have been no signs of any progress on the scheme to build houses in the grounds and convert the mansion and outbuildings into a luxury hotel. Residents have raised concerns about the state of the empty building.

Months of silence was broken yesterday with the shock news that Oldway Mansion Ltd had lodged its claim.

A statement from the company said: "Oldway Mansion Limited confirms that it has issued and served a claim on Torbay Borough Council in relation to Oldway Mansion, Paignton.

"In its claim the company seeks specific performance to enable it to draw down leases on Oldway and commence the regeneration of the Mansion and its conversion into a four-star hotel.

"It also seeks, among other things, damages for delay, damages for alleged breaches of the agreement, including preventing the company from performing certain maintenance obligations, interest and costs.

"If the court is unwilling to award specific performance, it is requested to award damages estimated to be in excess of £8million.

"Oldway Mansion Ltd continues to believe that the regeneration programme reflected in the agreement it entered into with Torbay Council best protects the interests of the Bay's communities and ensures that Oldway is protected for the long term."

The company said it would not be making any further statement at this time.

A Torbay Council statement said: "The council deeply regrets that it has not provided an update in respect of Oldway Mansion for some time, particularly considering the public interest in this historic building.

"The current position is that proceedings have been served on the Council by the developer, Oldway Mansion Limited, requesting (among other orders) an order for specific performance requiring the council to grant leases of the Oldway Mansion site to Oldway Mansion Ltd and an order for damages against the council.

"The allegations and assertions made in the proceedings are strongly denied and will be robustly defended. The council is, and has been throughout, committed to protecting the interests of the Bay's communities and ensuring that the much-loved Mansion is protected for the long term. Our position will be set out in full in the defence that will be filed with the court next month."

In April last year Torbay Council issued a legal notice against Oldway Mansion Ltd. In the legal notice the council said it believed a number of the conditions in the development agreement had not been complied with. If the developer fails to comply with the conditions, the council said it can take steps to terminate the agreement and seek damages.

Akkeron responded that it was still working hard on the scheme which includes a new indoor bowling club. It announced that it had issued Drawdown Notices to Torbay Council for the next phases at Oldway Mansion. It said it proposed to start work on these phases in May.

PHOTOGRAPHS: Concerns raised over current state of Oldway Mansion

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks TG

What a bastard this Brent character is proving to be. A right hoodwinker. No wonder PCC got the message and pulled the plug on this chancer. I have a feeling the Home Park stadium thing is going to descend into crap, and as for the club ? anything could happen. Nothing but a cheap speculator who blames everyone else but himself and delivers half of nothing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Makes you wonder if he will try something similar with PCC.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:13 pm

No worries at the moment with regards to HP as he hasn't even remotely considered buying the freehold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:16 pm

I bet he's remotely considered getting the freehold for nothing. He'll have a cunning plan, don't you worry.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
No worries at the moment with regards to HP as he hasn't even remotely considered buying the freehold.
The Pasoti Folk Hero wont want to buy the ground considering the shit state its in unless Tudes gives him a discount! jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:52 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
The Pasoti Folk Hero wont want to buy the ground considering the shit state its in unless Tudes gives him a discount! jocolor

Cheaper to pull down if its virtually collapsed already.. can build some nice big student flats alot quicker then.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:54 pm

The neck of the man, seriously? He's got the front to take the council to court, should be the other way around foreshore.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:55 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

Joking aside, when Brent comes to buy the Freehold, I wonder if he will have the nerve to question whether the price could be reduced down from the 12 x Annual rent, due to the ground being so dilapidated.

You really wouldn't put it past the phucker, would ya?
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:58 pm

The interesting dynamic here is that John Lloyd's fans survey has consistently been heavily in favour of the ground remaining in public hands.

When he decides to take up the option how will that decision be spun to the fanbase?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 6:41 pm

It will be the same old shit backed up by the same old sycophantic creep, crawling up his greasy retirement pole. "It's the only way for the club to progress" bullshit. That premise couldn't be more wrong.
Of course, the huge majority of fans don't want it to happen, but that counts for nothing with Brent's Argyle. I think the Trust should be able ( and obliged ) to mount public demonstrations against such a purchase. The trust board will be in trouble if they don't oppose Brent properly in this matter.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Can't the Council revoke the buy back clause on the stadium?

Perhaps the trust would be prepared to look into this as an option for safeguarding continued public ownership of HP.

Unfortunately the ACV is a pretty toothless bit of legislation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Nope. No chance.
The Oldway thing brings into bright light just what are the new problems faced by councils with this government's change of emphasis, the emphasis being to change the planning system to feck the local community, and make sure by hook or planning crook that their mates and donors will hoover up hard won public assets acquired in the last century under the guise of austerity, and then build what they want ( high profit, high density housing ), rather than what the community want ( green spaces and community facilities ). IT IS THE INTENT. It is what they hope will happen. It is the new version of supermarkets bullying councils into allowing them to build shop after shop in their areas at the expense of the town centres, Truro being the latest to be under the cosh with the stadium for Cornwall ruse. Penzance had a fight with a supermarket recently and lost. There are now 4 !!! supermarkets next to each other at Long Rock !!! Madness.  Fortunately, not everything is decided by politicians in this world, and some battles can be won.

However, under the "new rules", hotels can apply for a change of use to accommodation. Now, could someone remind me what Brent has permission for up at HHP. I can smell a test case coming up in the not too distant future.

Last edited by Lord Biro on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oldway update   oldway update - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

oldway update
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next