Tringreen
downthetrack
Sir Francis Drake
VillageGreen
stephensdad
11 posters
AuthorMessage

A VERY poor manager  Empty
PostSubject: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Sheridan hasnt got a clue .
So many players played out of position .

Get rid . His best days are behind him .
Back to top Go down
stephensdad

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Started poorly finished abysmally. Players out of position all over the pitch. The team was crying out for a natural winger. Thomas sat on the bench while we played strikers and full backs in his position. I not sure about Sheridan out as I have no confidence in Brent who I feel will go for a cheap option.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 10:57 pm

Give Mr Skulk the 15 matches mark, if Argyle have not improved by the time those games are played, then it is time for him to resign or be shown the door.. I bet a club like Pompey would sack him asap if they felt the need.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 pm

I am beginning to wonder about Sheridan and tonight it was all there in microcosm.

First off we never seem to play a settled formation. We've tried all sorts with 4-3-3, 4-4-2, one sitter, two sitters, diamond formation... This implies uncertainty in his mind as to both our best shape and our best XI. It's very worrying.

Tonight we started a flat back four with 2 sitters in front, Banton wide left, Harvey in the hole and both Reid and Banton as a front two. Nobody on the right at all. At HT Mellor was moved forward, O'Connor went to RB, Smalley went off and Harvey took his place making us a conventional 4-4-2. Neither of which worked very well.

We need to sort out our midfield in terms of both who is going to play where and in what shape. Until we do we are heavily reliant on Reid as a one man team.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 11:09 pm

We just don't have the players down here or want to come this far south. Look what happened the last time you lot payed top dollar,twas very close to the end Ok you had some success ,short lived.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 am

Some of us didn't even need to see their teams play to form an opinion on the likes of Fletcher or Sheridan. Just listening to them was more than enough to be able to form an opinion, dontchafink ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 am

I think Sheridan is an average manager coming to the end of the traditional two year cycle. He initially improved a poor team, then he had a season of transition. Now he has no excuses, these are his journeymen players. Pre season optimism has gone and the results and performances indicate that this is another mediocre team. If the manager doesn't know his best team or formation by now I doubt he ever will.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 8:18 am

Spot on Frank.

I noticed a stat on Sunday that the top three teams in this division had a lower average attendance combined than Argyle.

Whilst attendances don't tell the whole story and of course we've got some debts to pay if you worked out our increased gate receipts over the last three seasons compared to say Cheltenham it must be significantly higher.

Mismanaged from top to bottom.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 8:31 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
I think Sheridan is an average manager coming to the end of the traditional two year cycle. He initially improved a poor team, then he had a season of transition. Now he has no excuses, these are his journeymen players. Pre season optimism has gone and the results and performances indicate that this is another mediocre team. If the manager doesn't know his best team or formation by now I doubt he ever will.

Yep, that's pretty much the précis.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 9:12 am

Argiggle will probably be stupid enough to complete the the hat trick. Next ! ? Paul [I can't pass] Wotton. laugh

Still, Sam will get to interview him for the club's Avivafesting fanzine. So it's not all bad I suppose.

Looking at the photos on GOS , HP is emptying fast whilst the usual suspects self promote in the name of charity and an endless stream of ex players are paraded like ghosts of a bygone era.
Never has it been this bad, this basic, this village.

Last edited by Tringreen on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 am

Argyle is the only team I know that tries to operate with a squad of about 8 decent players (am I being generous here?) Sheridan cant play a standard 442 with reid up front and Lewi just behind him. other managers aren't thick they will just work us out and mark us out of the game.
I am like a lot of people thinking that JS isnt up to the job, but in fairness the real question to be asked is that if the top three clubs whose combined attendances are less than ours manage to field 11 players AND have several decent players on the bench to turn the game why cant we?
It would probably be libellous to answer that question with TOP LAWYERS stalking the place, play safe peeps.

Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 am

A manager should have a football philosophy. He should have a vision of a shape, of a system and of a style. We knew a Sturrock team, we knew a Pulis team and we knew a Holloway team. The manager then uses his scouting staff to identify the players that fit into his system and his coaching team to make players better in their role in the system. Yes there needs to be in-game tweaks if things are not working out, or a plan b that has been worked on in training. But the overall philosophy must be adhered to.

What is Sheridan's philosophy? What is our best shape? Have Harvey, Allen or Purrington improved under Sheridan's guidance? Were players signed because they fitted the philosophy or because they were cheap?

The income generated by our crowds (even allowing for debt repayment) should have us comfortably in the top two. But we aren't and who is being held to account? I hate saying 'in my day' but we would get together with Ollie or Pulis after a game (whatever the result) and have a debrief. They would know that the fans around the boardroom table were pissed off after a loss or buzzing after a win. I hope Tony is instigating a similar thing because it seems that the people at the top just don't give a toss right now and the Manager is getting a free ride.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 10:02 am

Damon.Lenszner wrote:
A manager should have a football philosophy. He should have a vision of a shape, of a system and of a style. We knew a Sturrock team, we knew a Pulis team and we knew a Holloway team. The manager then uses his scouting staff to identify the players that fit into his system and his coaching team to make players better in their role in the system. Yes there needs to be in-game tweaks if things are not working out, or a plan b that has been worked on in training. But the overall philosophy must be adhered to.

What is Sheridan's philosophy? What is our best shape? Have Harvey, Allen or Purrington improved under Sheridan's guidance? Were players signed because they fitted the philosophy or because they were cheap?

The income generated by our crowds (even allowing for debt repayment) should have us comfortably in the top two. But we aren't and who is being held to account? I hate saying 'in my day' but we would get together with Ollie or Pulis after a game (whatever the result) and have a debrief. They would know that the fans around the boardroom table were pissed off after a loss or buzzing after a win. I hope Tony is instigating a similar thing because it seems that the people at the top just don't give a toss right now and the Manager is getting a free ride.

Nahhhhh............. enjoy the Avivafesting and the Just Giving spectaculars. Football is very much secondary to being someone at the Theatre of Schemes.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:

Damn shame that various boards of directors haven't been held to account for their actions over a period of many decades.And that doesn't exclude Wrathall.

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Spot on Frank.

I noticed a stat on Sunday that the top three teams in this division had a lower average attendance combined than Argyle.

Whilst attendances don't tell the whole story and of course we've got some debts to pay if you worked out our increased gate receipts over the last three seasons compared to say Cheltenham it must be significantly higher.

Mismanaged from top to bottom.

Little clubs with tiny support doing better than we. It makes you want to cry.....

Last night they pulled in these numbers.

AFC Wimbledon V Burton Albion - 3,195
Bury V Stevenage - 2,638
Northampton Town V Hartlepool United - 3,653
Shrewsbury Town V Carlisle United - 3,833

If Argyle were playing good football and sitting at the top of the league right now, you would expect to see at least 8,500 - 10,000 at HP per home game.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 pm

exactly my thoughts for a long time now. just where is the money going?
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Over on the other Argyle forum, they call for Hargreaves.. And it gets the usual opinions too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No thanks, he took them down last season and I do not fancy that happening to Argyle anytime soon...

Nor do I want PW as a manager.

If JS was to be sacked, I would like to see either PT or GJ come down here. Should GJ fall out with those in charge of YTFC more than is already so, then the Argyle job may appeal to him.

Going back to Tisdale, I think he could do something here, it was not that long ago that he was being touted for this job or that job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Tisdale is on a fortune and on a 2 yr rolling deal. So is pretty unsackable. Why the hell would he want to leave that for a club that aren't much better off
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Tisdale is on a fortune and on a 2 yr rolling deal. So is pretty unsackable. Why the hell would he want to leave that for a club that aren't much better off

He would see Argyle as a challenge and perhaps also see it as a stepping stone to greater personel gains.

Like another stated, he works with zilch (finance wise) at ECFC, so would fit in well down here.

As for Sheridan, he must be concerned for himself, as at his interview he would have told Brent he could do this or that. Not going to plan then....

I admit that the CH transfer would have put a spanner in the works, but Sheridan has had ample time to seek out a replacement - whether on loan or a permanent deal. On the coaching side of things, sheridan should have brought his own people down, rather than appoint who he did. Finance could have played a big part in that though.

We probably still have the makings of a good team, but as always, when will we witness this.

Sheridan should take up Warnock's offer of a loan or two, they have spoken on the phone apparently. Let us hope there is some news on that front soon.

Sheridan must now be under some form of pressure....
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 6:22 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:

He would see Argyle as a challenge and perhaps also see it as a stepping stone to greater personel gains.

Like another stated, he works with zilch (finance wise) at ECFC, so would fit in well down here.

As for Sheridan, he must be concerned for himself, as at his interview he would have told Brent he could do this or that. Not going to plan then....

I admit that the CH transfer would have put a spanner in the works, but Sheridan has had ample time to seek out a replacement - whether on loan or a permanent deal. On the coaching side of things, sheridan should have brought his own people down, rather than appoint who he did. Finance could have played a big part in that though.

We probably still have the makings of a good team, but as always, when will we witness this.

Sheridan should take up Warnock's offer of a loan or two, they have spoken on the phone apparently. Let us hope there is some news on that front soon.

Sheridan must now be under some form of pressure....
Stop moaning VG, we got rid of Hourihane and replaced him with super Ollie Norburn! In Posh Jim we Trust.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 6:56 pm

At one stage, Swansea were interested and so were Swindon along with other clubs depending on who you believe. If he wanted a new challenge he'd have gone yanks ago, now he isn't so much in demand he might as well pick up a wages till ECFC wake up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 pm

I've supported Sheridan vocally, so will be standing by him. We had a bad few days, but last night was the only poor performance. We are halfway in the league, any team who goes on a good run in October will be in an excellent position - dont see why that cant be us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Womble wrote:
I've supported Sheridan vocally, so will be standing by him.  We had a bad few days, but last night was the only poor performance.  We are halfway in the league, any team who goes on a good run in October will be in an excellent position - dont see why that cant be us.

Not so sure about that, the Stevenage performance was as bad as I've seen for several years.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Womble wrote:
I've supported Sheridan vocally, so will be standing by him.  We had a bad few days, but last night was the only poor performance.  We are halfway in the league, any team who goes on a good run in October will be in an excellent position - dont see why that cant be us.

Not so sure about that, the Stevenage performance was as bad as I've seen for several years.

Yeah, that was bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A VERY poor manager    A VERY poor manager  Empty

Back to top Go down

A VERY poor manager
Page 1 of 1