Mock Cuncher
Cornish Chris
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

The Cricket thread - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Well done to England and Cook-thought he should have been sacked ages ago but he's proved me wrong and good luck to him. The change at the top seems to have done the trick, England are a much more positive team in all forms of the game now, there are still areas of concern but that's for another day, congratulations to all concerned.

I'd echo that. The big test for Alistair Cook now is how England push on from this and be in a strong position to retain the Ashes Down Under so we dont see a repeat of the last time.

Certainly hope so. But playing on a bouncy strip at the WACA is so different from Trent Bridge it might as well be a different sport.

Definitely a big slice of humble pie for me too, though - I thought Cook was yesterday's man.

Now who to pick at the Oval? It seems harsh to drop either of Wood or Finn to get Jimmy back in, but will he ever play another Ashes home series? He'll be 36 next time around...

Sad to see Michael Clarke go out on such a low. The way he transformed himself from the walking wicket he was in 2005 to the unparalleled run-plunderer of a couple of years ago was remarkable. There's no doubt he out-captained Cook in the 2013-14 Ashes too. It's a tough gig for Smith to follow, particularly seeing as he's not in great nick himself.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Who could not be happy with the Strines getting it stuffed up'em?

Why is it though that I feel we may just have mugged off a bunch of has beens in their sunset years, Lords showed what happens when we don't get to play on a typical 'English' wicket.

There was obviously some serious shiite going on in the Aussie changing room which dropped their game a good few rungs, I will happily give Cookey and the boys some serious kudos, but only when they have been competitive away against the Sarfers and in the next Ashes series.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Well done to England and Cook-thought he should have been sacked ages ago but he's proved me wrong and good luck to him. The change at the top seems to have done the trick, England are a much more positive team in all forms of the game now, there are still areas of concern but that's for another day, congratulations to all concerned.

I'd echo that. The big test for Alistair Cook now is how England push on from this and be in a strong position to retain the Ashes Down Under so we dont see a repeat of the last time.

Certainly hope so. But playing on a bouncy strip at the WACA is so different from Trent Bridge it might as well be a different sport.

Definitely a big slice of humble pie for me too, though - I thought Cook was yesterday's man.

Now who to pick at the Oval? It seems harsh to drop either of Wood or Finn to get Jimmy back in, but will he ever play another Ashes home series? He'll be 36 next time around...

Sad to see Michael Clarke go out on such a low. The way he transformed himself from the walking wicket he was in 2005 to the unparalleled run-plunderer of a couple of years ago was remarkable. There's no doubt he out-captained Cook in the 2013-14 Ashes too. It's a tough gig for Smith to follow, particularly seeing as he's not in great nick himself.

I feel there would be no harm for England to give some of younger players in the squad some Ashes experience Australia will be doing the same i reckon as they have nothing to lose
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 5:36 pm

We have nothing to lose, they have nothing to win Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 11:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Had a very enjoyable day watching Somerset v Surrey yesterday at Taunton. There were about 5,500 there (or, as I like to call it, 1.75 Exeters) for what was essentially a dead rubber. The standard wasn't the highest, but it was very entertaining. I'm sure we'll see at least one of the Overton brothers playing in an England shirt at some point.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Had a very enjoyable day watching Somerset v Surrey yesterday at Taunton. There were about 5,500 there (or, as I like to call it, 1.75 Exeters) for what was essentially a dead rubber. The standard wasn't the highest, but it was very entertaining. I'm sure we'll see at least one of the Overton brothers playing in an England shirt at some point.

A friend of mine went to one of the recent one dayers at Taunton and said that one of the Overton's was rather rapid in pace-did you get the same impression? Could be Jamie, think he's the quickest of the two.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:

A friend of mine went to one of the recent one dayers at Taunton and said that one of the Overton's was rather rapid in pace-did you get the same impression? Could be Jamie, think he's the quickest of the two.

Went to the Worcester game at Taunton, the two Overton's were playing and Jamie bowled 5 or 6 overs that were very quick, quicker than anything else I've seen there including Graham Onions last season.

The keeper was standing well back and taking the ball above his head. When he lets it rip he's close to 90mph I reckon.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 10:18 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:

Went to the Worcester game at Taunton, the two Overton's were playing and Jamie bowled 5 or 6 overs that were very quick, quicker than anything else I've seen there including Graham Onions last season.

The keeper was standing well back and taking the ball above his head. When he lets it rip he's close to 90mph I reckon.

I think it was the Worcester game that my mate attended, he said the keeper was taking the ball way above his head and standing about half way back to the boundary. One of the quickest I ever saw was a head case Dutchman called Andre Van Troost who played for Somerset in the 1990's-he was all over the place but jeez he was fast when he got it together. He made a mess of Jimmy Adams face when Adams was one of the best players around-never the same afterwards. Saw Van Troost climb over the fence once to bop a spectator who said something not to his liking-had to be restrained by a couple of stewards-he was certainly quite a character.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 11:50 pm

Express pace certainly is something to get your attention. Tymal Mills at Sussex has been exciting to watch, even though he's not particularly good/consistent, because of that extra yard. He'll get clobbered for runs, then splatter stumps the next ball. I can see why, pre-injury issues, he was being talked about.

is worth a watch if you're into cricket admin bore stuff. Standard, stitch up stuff, from England, Inja and Austraya. Giles Clarke really is an obnoxious human being.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Express pace certainly is something to get your attention. Tymal Mills at Sussex has been exciting to watch, even though he's not particularly good/consistent, because of that extra yard. He'll get clobbered for runs, then splatter stumps the next ball. I can see why, pre-injury issues, he was being talked about.

is worth a watch if you're into cricket admin bore stuff. Standard, stitch up stuff, from England, Inja and Austraya. Giles Clarke really is an obnoxious human being.

Here's a few that sure got the batsman attention;

Love the commentary in the Bodyline clip-"Larwood was the unlucky bowler"! lol!

Agree about Giles Clarke too, didn't like him when he was Somerset, a real greasing piece of self interest if ever there was one.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:

They're both pretty rapid - Jamie seems to be quicker and Craig has a bit more control at this stage, although they're still only 21.

Jamie smacked a very rapid 40* at the end too - won it with a six at the end (even though there was a good couple of overs left). A good showman.

Plymouth boy Gregory bowled tidily too. Somerset did exceptionally well to contain Surrey - Surrey were 220-3 with ten overs left, and ended up being bowled out for about 265. Just a shame they couldn't pull it together on a more consistent basis.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 1:40 pm

I'm lucky enough to be in one of the private boxes tomorrow in the Jim Laker stand.

9am: Breakfast
11am: Bar Opens
1pm: Champagne and 3 course lunch
4pm Afternoon Tea
Bar Closes 30 minutes after play finishes.

drunk
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 1:44 pm

Bleddy lucky bastard! Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 5:52 pm

No Jimmy tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Bleddy lucky bastard! Enjoy.

I will do fella. Will post my view Smile
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:42 pm

Very humid at the Oval and everyone agreed that despite it being a batters pitch in recent history it was worth a bowl. I enjoyed the first hour even though the run rate was 1.16 an over. Good duelling cricket. Australians opening up now though which is worrying although not as worrying as whether or not my scallops and steak is going to be cooked correctly Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 1:05 pm

aussies 82 for 0 at luncheon..chin chin my dears
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Worthy guard of honour for Clarke....raised a glass of Sauvignon. Geddon bhey
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Yep. Cracking player. A well-earned retirement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Very humid at the Oval and everyone agreed that despite it being a batters pitch in recent history it was worth a bowl. I enjoyed the first hour even though the run rate was 1.16 an over. Good duelling cricket. Australians opening up now though which is worrying although not as worrying as whether or not my scallops and steak is going to be cooked correctly Very Happy

youre gonna be in Argyles executive lounge with Pie Face next..
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 pm

At least I'll get into the ground Al lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 6:55 pm

you bitch..Geddon
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
At least I'll get into the ground Al lol!

cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 7:41 pm

After all the testerone fuelled days of this series this was back to good old test match cricket. Australia, quite correctly, after being put into bat played (or indeed didn't play) out the morning session. THEY WANTED TO STOP THE ROT.

Having said that they could have been 3 down. At Trent Bridge they nicked the ones that mattered, here they restrained. The first hour was the perfect antidote to 20/20 cricket, but fascinating nonetheless.

After lunch the odd wicket fell and there were constant near misses. Not the most memorable day, but that is test cricket sometimes. I loved the murmur of the crowd, the flow of the game and frankly a free bar!

An intriguing morning session set up for tomorrow with the new ball.

Nighty nighty

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Cricket thread
Page 14 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next