sufferedsince 68
Tringreen
Czarcasm
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 12:17 am

Just got back to Plymouth. 7 hours each way on a boiling hot coach, to watch that display.

The sad thing is I'm booked up for Bury and Luton  Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 8:09 am

Time you moved on from Sunshine Bus travel Cobi. There's only a special breed that can stomach travelling that way after you reach adulthood.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 9:03 am

They don't come and see you, when you're bad.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am

Thats all very impressive Cobi, but xthrobber walked back from the cambridge trenches, shoulder to shoulder with posh jim carrying his conkers.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 11:53 am

Pitbull wrote:
Just got back to Plymouth. 7 hours each way on a boiling hot coach, to watch that display.

A word of advice.

Ditch the Aviva buses, get yourself a railcard and use the train.
At least you can relax with a few cold ones and a deck of cards after watching the utter shit.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 am

Punchdrunk wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

A word of advice.

At least you can relax with a few cold ones and a deck of cards after watching the utter shit.

Wise words, away days were always the best, especially when you have home and away fans on same train, cut the atmosphere with a knife.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 am

So how dis we play then? Beeb stats showed us losing on possession but we had more shots and corners, we're we in the game at all or not?
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

A word of advice.

I second this and you get there alot quicker. 4hrs max
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

A word of advice.

I second this and you get there alot quicker. 4hrs max
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Iggy wrote:
So how dis we play then? Beeb stats showed us losing on possession but we had more shots and corners, we're we in the game at all or not?

First half yes, it was poor but even. Second half, PAH! Their manager made a half time sub and it really gave them the edge over Argyle. Shez didn't have a clue and we were awful. We did have our opportunities, but they were wasted by our timid attackers. If it wasn't for Luke it would have been 4 or 5, he was excellent. Reid tried too, but there was little he could do. The rest can hang themselves in shame and so can Sheridan, though he seems optimistic and positive following our fantastic performance...
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Was a decent trip to a part of the country I'd not seen before though. Visit my girlfriend's family north of Cambridge on the fens. Had a cracking time and got to try all their home brew booze the Friday night. Weather was cracking on the Saturday and being only 40 minutes from Cambridge we didn't have to travel down to the ground till the early afternoon. Shame it was spoiled by the football.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Time you moved on from Sunshine Bus travel Cobi. There's only a special breed that can stomach travelling that way after you reach adulthood.
Trouble is that unless you can drive (I can't) and the GTs are running anything (they don't always do) then it's the only way to get to a game that's even relatively affordable. Train fares these days are absolutely extortionate.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 2:23 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Trouble is that unless you can drive (I can't) and the GTs are running anything (they don't always do) then it's the only way to get to a game that's even relatively affordable. Train fares these days are absolutely extortionate.

Railcard?
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Railcard?

Even with a railcard I often find the price of a train working out twice as expensive as driving myself, while taking twice as long.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Railcard?
It helps but it still works out a lot more expensive.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 3:39 pm

I used to drive to many games but when the performances became unbelievably shite the long drives became unbearable.
At least on the train you can have a beer to soak up the frustration and anger with a couple of like minded souls who can see which way the wind is really blowing.
The more I see off the individuals associated at the center of the club the more I feel like just giving the whole thing up.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I used to drive (I've never wanted to use the travel coaches) but it was better when we started going to games in the 'Battlebus' (minibus hired by some of the RoTG posters). Quite reasonable price, good laugh and you can get absolutely smashed on the way up. Someone does have to drive, but if there's enough of you it's a cheap way of watching Argyle.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 5:06 pm

I would love to go to away matches by train, but every time I explore that option, I find that it's usually double the price of getting the coach, and at my age I can't afford that.

I remember thinking about doing Dagenham on the train, before finding the cheapest price was £60...EACH WAY.

The travel club prices are very cheap compared to other forms of transport.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 6:56 pm

pitbull,

you need to book as soon as fixtures come out, use money saving websites, loyalty card discounts for reduced travel, even try to find someone who works 'on the job' (friends/family offers etc).
split tickets up BUT always make sure it isnt the LAST train involved or youll get marrooned somewhere.

dagenham for example book to london then use travel card for underground?

games in north split tickets at taunton, cheltenham etc
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Elias wrote:
pitbull,

you need to book as soon as fixtures come out, use money saving websites, loyalty card discounts for reduced travel, even try to find someone who works 'on the job' (friends/family offers etc).
split tickets up BUT always make sure it isnt the LAST train involved or youll get marrooned  somewhere.

dagenham for example book to london then use travel card  for underground?

games in north split tickets at taunton, cheltenham etc  

WTF Elias, how can something so complicated be enjoyable?
Cobi listen, get an Argyle supporting mate with a car, enlist 3 or 4 others for away games and split the fuel bill 4 or 5 ways. You should be able to get anywhere in the country and back for 20-25 quid each, simples.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 8:21 pm

saving money is always enjoyable les - made myuself a ton this week swapping a current account i didnt use often to halifax 100 notes lovely !
, travel early cobes (cheaper fares usually on a weekend) take in the city etc make the day more than just travel there, watch fooite, go home.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Difference is footy without alcohol is like a car without petrol.
Back to top Go down

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 pm

spowell92 wrote:
Was a decent trip to a part of the country I'd not seen before though. Visit my girlfriend's family north of Cambridge on the fens. Had a cracking time and got to try all their home brew booze the Friday night. Weather was cracking on the Saturday and being only 40 minutes from Cambridge we didn't have to travel down to the ground till the early afternoon. Shame it was spoiled by the football.

There are many good reasons to visit Cambridge. The football ground stuck a couple of miles outside the city centre on a busy road in aint one of them. Still if you got your leg over.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
I used to drive to many games but when the performances became unbelievably shite the long drives became unbearable.
At least on the train you can have a beer to soak up the frustration and anger with a couple of like minded souls who can see which way the wind is really blowing.
The more I see off the individuals associated at the center of the club the more I feel like just giving the whole thing up.

It's an age and experience thing Punchie. You'll get there........................ eventually. Having said that, it's never been as bad and parochial as this. If Porkie has his way, Plymouth will be cut off from the real world but he'll be happy auctioning Tynan's jockstrap !
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Have you tried trainline.com. Book it in advance and it is cheaper than normal.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Just back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just back   Just back Empty

Back to top Go down

Just back
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next