hairy j
Czarcasm
Chemical Ali
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Ex-loanee Lee Cox signs on a two year deal. Good signing if he stays fit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Let's hope Banton-syndrome doesn't strike again. On the face of it, a very good signing.  Thanks/OK 
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 4:41 pm

This probably explains Young's exit. I'm pleased with this as he's a very solid player - you get 7/8 out of 10 performances from him every game.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 4:43 pm

Who was keeping him out of Swindons team for most of the season ?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 5:03 pm

He was very good during his last spell here but it always gives me the crappers when players with bad recent appearance and injury records sign for Argyle,Lowry being the most recent example.If fit,then he will be an ideal player for Argyle-midfield ballwinner who will play the simple pass and act as a foil for Hourihane.Fingers crossed,all the best to him.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Excellent defensive foil, excellent signing on the whole. Will work very well with Hourihane and possibly another in a midfield three. He was too good for this league last time we saw him.

As much as I feared the budget was being slashed this year, to have signed up Nelson, McCormick and Cox by May 12th is very impressive. Fair play Sheridan and PAFC- credit where it's due. I think top seven beckons next year- especially if we can sign Reuben. Off the pitch I still have huge misgivings as we probably all do on here but it's looking as good on the pitch as it has for 7 or so years. Excited about the coming season big time now.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Greenskin wrote:
He was very good during his last spell here but it always gives me the crappers when players with bad recent appearance and injury records sign for Argyle,Lowry being the most recent example.If fit,then he will be an ideal player for Argyle-midfield ballwinner who will play the simple pass and act as a foil for Hourihane.Fingers crossed,all the best to him.

Agree and let us hope he DOES stay fit..

They seem to be on orgasmic mode over on PASOTI, bless 'em Very Happy  
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Greenskin wrote:

Never saw him play for some reason - probably as I hardly ever go these days, I'm not a proper fan etc etc. Still, if John thinks he's decent that's good enough for me.

How's the golf mate?

(Sorry, that's John Greenskin, not Sheridan. I'm not on first name terms with the manager at the moment).
Back to top Go down

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 6:02 pm

On the face of it a good signing but I await with baited breath who else Sheridan signs.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 6:06 pm

Sheridan seems to be making his marquee signings (and the spine of the team) for next season. For my money he was the best midfielder at the club last year. He fulfills the criteria of being good enough for the league above. Pleased with this one.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 6:14 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Never saw him play for some reason - probably as I hardly ever go these days, I'm not a proper fan etc etc. Still, if John thinks he's decent that's good enough for me.

How's the golf mate?

(Sorry, that's John Greenskin, not Sheridan. I'm not on first name terms with the manager at the moment).

Funny you should mention golf Garry,played in the club scratch today and lost 3 and 1 after being 4 down after 4,not really the best of starts! Pretty steady through the winter,nothing spectacular,still 12 handicap after briefly going down to 11 but had a spectacular 9 and 8 loss in my pairing with the club captain in our match at Whitsand Bay. lol! I see we're down at Sparkers on July 10th and at Hurdwick on August 14th,look forward to those matches as always-probably about half a dozen trees missing at Hurdwick since your last visit due to the winter storms,bet you didn't have that problem in Spain.

Cox was a driving midfielder in his last spell down here and he was very good until he dislocated his shoulder but hasn't played much football since,only 4 games for Swindon last year.Cynical old sweats like us will remember Argyle signing crocks in the past,from Peacock,Sealey and Peddelty through to McNamee,Lowry and indeed Parsons,who looked a good signing but never appeared to be up to required standards of fitness and sharpness.Always makes me wonder about matters off the field under these circumstances [were Tope and Enoch really Sheridan's first or even fourth choices to supplement a play off push last season?] but hopefully i'm being too negative and pessimistic.Certainly won't be getting my season ticket on the strength of this signing though,i'd had enough by the end of last year and it will take a lot more to rekindle my enthusiasm for another slog.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 7:02 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Excellent defensive foil, excellent signing on the whole. Will work very well with Hourihane and possibly another in a midfield three. He was too good for this league last time we saw him.

As much as I feared the budget was being slashed this year, to have signed up Nelson, McCormick and Cox by May 12th is very impressive. Fair play Sheridan and PAFC- credit where it's due.  I think top seven beckons next year- especially if we can sign Reuben. Off the pitch I still have huge misgivings as we probably all do on here but it's looking as good on the pitch as it has for 7 or so years. Excited about the coming season big time now.

I wouldn't be getting the jester hat out just yet kiddo. Decent signings like Cox mean a reasonable chunk of Shez's budget used up. Teams will be queuing up to make Reid a very nice contract offer. 20 goal strikers don't grow on trees, Reid will have his pick foreshore. I'm hopeful he likes it enough down here to give us a head start, but money talks...
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Great stuff, coming together slowly but surely. Reid & Thomas re-signing and a couple of equally solid new additions and we should continue to improve next season.

Sure beats the days of 'hanging on' Robbie Williams accepting a new contract offer and a non-league fireman being our marquee signing!!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 8:13 pm

interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 8:19 pm

The pleasing thing about this is that we are not hanging around this time. In previous seasons, going back to waaaay before Brent was i/c, we seemed to put off signing people until the last moment - and quite often until after the last moment. After that we would watch the various deadlines for transfers and loanees and God alone knows what else with next to nothing happening until an emergency loomed.

Cox's prompt signing suggests that the value of being proactive and actually building a team of first choice targets instead of being reactive and trying to plug the gaps with whoever we could get are behind us.

If he's fit he's a great player and exactly what we need and, having been here before, knows all about Sheridan and the club.

It's all good. Well done everyone.

Let's see who else turns up. Tope has to be in with a shout.

Now... about that shirt sponsor...
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Cox must be on a pay cut then. We were put off having him all season because Argyle wouldn't pay more than 50% of his wages. As soon as his contract is up and there is no football to be played, he signs with us in a heartbeat.

Great news. Big statement of intent that Cox, Banton, Hourihane, McCormick, Nelson and Alessandra want to be here playing under Sheridan... committing to deals of at least 18 months.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Whatever he's been offered is more than the nothing he's due with no contract - and his injury record makes him a less attractive option than he might have been.

This is, probably, a great deal for both club and player.
Back to top Go down

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 9:16 pm

X Isle wrote:
Great stuff, coming together slowly but surely. Reid & Thomas re-signing and a couple of equally solid new additions and we should continue to improve next season.  

Sure beats the days of 'hanging on' Robbie Williams accepting a new contract offer and a non-league fireman being our marquee signing!!  

whats happened to Robbie Williams ?
Back to top Go down
hippo

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 9:21 pm

He wore funny knickers.
Back to top Go down

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Quite gushing in his praise for pafc, never thought we'd get him so soon after season ended. Great signing, and will perhsps encourage Reuben to sign.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyMon May 12, 2014 11:19 pm

alannotivvy wrote:
X Isle wrote:

whats happened to Robbie Williams ?

He was playing in the Irish premier league- looking at internet he's still there playing for Limerick.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyTue May 13, 2014 12:36 am

Czarcasm wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

As much as I feared the budget was being slashed this year, to have signed up Nelson, McCormick and Cox by May 12th is very impressive. Fair play Sheridan and PAFC- credit where it's due.  I think top seven beckons next year- especially if we can sign Reuben. Off the pitch I still have huge misgivings as we probably all do on here but it's looking as good on the pitch as it has for 7 or so years. Excited about the coming season big time now.

I wouldn't be getting the jester hat out just yet kiddo. Decent signings like Cox mean a reasonable chunk of Shez's budget used up. Teams will be queuing up to make Reid a very nice contract offer. 20 goal strikers don't grow on trees, Reid will have his pick foreshore. I'm hopeful he likes it enough down here to give us a head start, but money talks...
Fair enough. So far so good but a lot of decisions still in the balance as you say.
Back to top Go down

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyTue May 13, 2014 1:23 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Whatever he's been offered is more than the nothing he's due with no contract - and his injury record makes him a less attractive option than he might have been.

Depends - rushing to sign for 2 yrs on (hypothetically) £1,400 per week, when a side like Pompey might stretch to £1, 800, seems a little rash.

How hard has hid agents touted him? Not that I am complaining mind! Just seems strange a player who was so obviously above this team and above this division aged 22 should be signing the first contract offered him in midtable League Two at the beginning of May.

He has won the Scottish Div 1, won League Two... his credentials are obvious.

With regards to Argyle though, a midfield of Cox, Young and Hourihane would have been heavenly.  Young, talented and destined for greater things.

Far from vindicating the Young decision, signing Cox brings a tinge of despair at how much promise the three ofcthem would have packed.
Back to top Go down

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyTue May 13, 2014 9:43 am

Without Reid we will have another season like the last one, but without the goals, that is the head at the top of the spine.
As Frank said its good to see us signing players now rather than a couple of days before the season starts.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox EmptyTue May 13, 2014 8:54 pm

ejh wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Depends - rushing to sign for 2 yrs on (hypothetically) £1,400 per week, when a side like Pompey might stretch to £1, 800, seems a little rash.

How hard has hid agents touted him? Not that I am complaining mind! Just seems strange a player who was so obviously above this team and above this division aged 22 should be signing the first contract offered him in midtable League Two at the beginning of May.

He has won the Scottish Div 1, won League Two... his credentials are obvious.

With regards to Argyle though, a midfield of Cox, Young and Hourihane would have been heavenly.  Young, talented and destined for greater things.

Far from vindicating the Young decision, signing Cox brings a tinge of despair at how much promise the three ofcthem would have packed.

Cox has been peripheral at Swindon for a very long time (do we know why?) and his agent has had every chance to hawk his skills around the league.

Maybe Sheridan said "if you want to sign then do it now or I'm going to get X who will sign now" (and good on him if he did).

As for Young I agree but there's no mileage to be had there. For better or worse 'tis done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Argyle re-sign Cox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle re-sign Cox   Argyle re-sign Cox Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle re-sign Cox
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next