Rickler
Sir Francis Drake
Dick Trickle
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 2:28 pm

I wouldn't mind Sheridan being replaced with a proper manager (not that I think he deserves sacking with us in the playoffs) but Holloway would have his hands tied the same as Sheridans, when he went up with Blckpool he had two starlets, was one Charlie Austin? Anyway there are always a cople of bright sparks who if you pay the going rate will come and with luck get you promoted, most managers know who these players are its whether a chairman has the funds to splash that makes the difference and we don't have that.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Charlie Adam was it?

Didn't they sell him for like £13m to Liverpool though?
Back to top Go down

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 4:20 pm

That's the fella, Sturrock wanted him as well but he didnt want to come to pLymouth.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Jethro wrote:
Found out again pahahahahahahaha, can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

I agree, but so long as he keeps spouting claptrap the media will hang on to his every word, it really is desperately cringeworthy.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 4:22 pm

Iggy wrote:
That's the fella, Sturrock wanted him as well but he didnt want to come to pLymouth.

It was £7m, not sure where I got the extra 6 from!

Still, to make 14x times what you spent on a player in the space of about two years is still a rather worthwhile investment in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Yep. Very much a lower-league dweller.  His CV has probably got more lows than highs now. There's no happy medium with Ollie is there? He seems to either achieve the sublime - getting favourites for relegation from the CCC Blackpool, promoted to the Prem. Or the rediculous - relegating Leicester to league 1...probably the Prem equivalent of Arsene Wenger relegating Arsenal.

I'd still have him back here though at some point....

In fairness to him, Leicester were a badly declining team when he took over, always remember them being crap when visiting HP in our early CCC years. Always had doubts about him being the right man for Millwall, their fans aren't really the type to swallow his management style but still a bit surprised that they are struggling so badly. Will he get another job? Could never see him coming back here, too much stigma from his previous departure but nothing would ever be a surprise in football.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I think Argyle were put off by Charlie Adam's large wage- I think it was around £15k pw possibly higher(which one of Blackpool's millionaire backers help fund). We went for Gow instead who left on a free transfer Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Millwall are tier two minnows. Low attendance figures through no top flight exposure etc. Just like Argyle were, they are outclassed financially and any of their players to show anything will be snapped up by clubs with more clout and history.
Back to top Go down

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Millwall are tier two minnows. Low attendance figures through no top flight exposure etc. Just like Argyle were, they are outclassed financially and any of their players to show anything will be snapped up by clubs with more clout and history.

Not quite true. Millwall were in the top flight in 88/89. They reached the FA cup final in 2003, which lead to them playing in the UEFA Cup the following season. They've had their chances to build. The New Den was also the first purpose built all seater stadium in the country after the Taylor Report.

Holloway's still a chancer though.
Back to top Go down

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 8:59 pm

i think he if it wasn't for his media darling reputation he wont be held in such high regard by some. Even when he was here he profited a great deal from the solid groundwork Pulis put in before hand he just added the luxuries like SEB and Hayles. Same story at Palace in truth.

blackpool he did well tbf
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 5:00 am

History, stadia, catchment area and nearby 'bigger clubs' , all play their part.

PAFC would be the same as Norwich attendance wise, if it had the same modern history of achievement.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And yes, Holloway is a bit of a buffoon who ends up believing his own hype. He was perfect for Argyle at the time.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 am

Iggy wrote:

That's right.

If Sturrock had his way we'd have had a midfield of Charlie Adam and Glenn Whelan, who's spent the last six years distinguishing himself in the Premier League.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 am

Once managers have been around a bit you can compare the state of clubs before and after their appointment without the odd blip distorting the picture.

Has Holloway ever left a club which went on to a stronger position than it was in when he arrived?

Much the same applies to Harry Redknapp: he leaves a trail of utter disaster in his wake.

They must both interview extremely well.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Jethro

Jethro

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Never liked the back stabber, good riddance to bad rubbish.
Got to hope he doesn't end up as a pundit
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Though I didn't liked the way he left us(but subsequently understand why he did) it's hard to deny that he did a good job here and had us playing some cracking football, some of the resentment directed towards him from our fanbase is a bit puzzling to me.
Back to top Go down

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 5:09 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Though I didn't liked the way he left us(but subsequently understand why he did) it's hard to deny that he did a good job here and had us playing some cracking football, some of the resentment directed towards him from our fanbase is a bit puzzling to me.

yet he took over a mid table squad and finished mid table
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:

yet he took over a mid table squad and finished mid table

Could've been worse then !!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 5:53 pm

From what I remember, he improved the squad to the extent we were on the fringes of the play off positions in the autumn of 2007, when according to Iddlesleigh in a PM to me, he was promised by chairman fringe, that investment would be sought to fund a promotion push.
Of course, said fringe and chums had no intention of sharing or selling 'their' train set and when ollie found out that nothing had been tried, he and his players were on their way out of the club.

'Trust in Stapes and enjoy the ride Tringy !' No laugh

Nothing much has changed. Just that the village Avivafest is now where it's at and the lunatics are now rattling buckets for the fine gentleman , in return for the run of the place.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Holloway soon sussed that stapes and his merry men did'nt have the bottle or the money to get argyle to the premiership, now we have a middle of the road fourth division club stuffed with short term loans, and a Directors Box stuffed with long term freaks. The club has not moved on one iota since Brent and his circus acts gained control.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 7:07 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Once managers have been around a bit you can compare the state of clubs before and after their appointment without the odd blip distorting the picture.

Has Holloway ever left a club which went on to a stronger position than it was in when he arrived?

Much the same applies to Harry Redknapp: he leaves a trail of utter disaster in his wake.

Palace.

Arguably though, basing it on what they went on to do isn't the best measure. How far into the future before it stops being anything to do with him? Leicester went on to do pretty well but it sure as hell wasn't due to him. By the same token, Blackpool won't on to do pretty badly. Again, not due to him.
Back to top Go down

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Palace.

Arguably though, basing it on what they went on to do isn't the best measure. How far into the future before it stops being anything to do with him? Leicester went on to do pretty well but it sure as hell wasn't due to him. By the same token, Blackpool won't on to do pretty badly. Again, not due to him.

Hardly Pulis kept them up and it wasnt thanks to holloway bottling it and dougie freedman had palace playing well and in the playoffs before he left
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Well that and the 'messianic' aura the media put out around him too.

I've been having great fun over the last few months with my Millwall supporting mate at work. He was 'over the moon' when they appointed him, you might even say 'as chuffed as a badger on the first day of mating season' Rolling Eyes

I laid it all out to him just what a fake Holloway was and just how little substance there is behind his words but he wasn't having any of it, just as we were warned by QPR before we found out for ourselves. Since about October he's been grovelling in his apology for not believing me.

His charm and meedya personality status will, before long, get him another job somewhere else. It is the duty of each and every one of the fans of the clubs he's schmoozed and hoodwinked previously to tell the poor unfortunate sods who'll get stuck with him what they can look forward to.

Holloway, I salute you salute
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 4:25 pm

I like Ian Holloway good manager, promotion with Qpr Palace and Blackpool proves it, far to good for the Villagers at home park.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 5:22 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
I like Ian Holloway good manager, promotion with Qpr Palace and Blackpool proves it, far to good for the Villagers at home park.

Yep, the "we were right all along,lets keep Argyle crap and gawp as the world passes us by again" mentality is fairly obvious in the above posts.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Greenskin wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

Yep, the "we were right all along,lets keep Argyle crap and gawp as the world passes us by again" mentality is fairly obvious in the above posts.

laugh It's not funny really deadhorse
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Holloway - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holloway   Holloway - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Holloway
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next