akagreengull
Tgwu
Han Solos Other Ship
Old Timer
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

New Striker ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 1:51 pm

GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
GreenWhiteBlack wrote:
Boy do we need one. Reuben Reid is woeful

When Reid had a genuine quality striker to work with, Reid was scoring, Lavery was scoring, and Argyle were winning games.

As soon as Lavery goes back we go back to hoofing it to Reid and hoping something lands either for him or someone around him.

But with Lavery gone, there is no-one around him to drag defenders, provide decoy runs, or genuine through runs. Reid gets the ball - opposition defenders get Reid.

The Reid and Lavery partnership proves that Reid is better than the system he is currently being used in.

Hopefully Morgan will be back soon and give Sheridan some options.
I agree, except the last line. Morgan was pretty dreadful imo. His physicality was impressive I'll give him that but he was possibly the least comfortable in his control of a football than any other striker I've seen play for us. Reid hardly flourished next to him either- it was during his awful start to the season where he was getting dogs abuse from the crowd. Morgan drifted in and out of games too- on his day he was a fairly effective battering ram but that's about it. Maybe one to throw on off the bench for five or ten minutes as a Plan B but never in a million years someone who should be starting if we're looking to get out of this league.

yet he has a better goal scoring ratio than reid so he must like playing up front a bit.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 pm

GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
GreenWhiteBlack wrote:

When Reid had a genuine quality striker to work with, Reid was scoring, Lavery was scoring, and Argyle were winning games.

As soon as Lavery goes back we go back to hoofing it to Reid and hoping something lands either for him or someone around him.

But with Lavery gone, there is no-one around him to drag defenders, provide decoy runs, or genuine through runs. Reid gets the ball - opposition defenders get Reid.

The Reid and Lavery partnership proves that Reid is better than the system he is currently being used in.

I agree, except the last line. Morgan was pretty dreadful imo. His physicality was impressive I'll give him that but he was possibly the least comfortable in his control of a football than any other striker I've seen play for us. Reid hardly flourished next to him either- it was during his awful start to the season where he was getting dogs abuse from the crowd. Morgan drifted in and out of games too- on his day he was a fairly effective battering ram but that's about it. Maybe one to throw on off the bench for five or ten minutes as a Plan B but never in a million years someone who should be starting if we're looking to get out of this league.

Morgan scored 11 goals the season before last to help Shrewsbury get promotion from this division,not sure how many starts he made.No guarantee that he'll do the same again of course,but he does have some previous success in this league-maybe his absence has been a bigger blow than it seems,although i must confess that the Reid/Morgan combo didn't exactly look world beating early in the season.I suppose his return will add a bit of competition for places if nothing else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Greenskin wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
GreenWhiteBlack wrote:

Morgan scored 11 goals the season before last to help Shrewsbury get promotion from this division,not sure how many starts he made.No guarantee that he'll do the same again of course,but he does have some previous success in this league-maybe his absence has been a bigger blow than it seems,although i must confess that the Reid/Morgan combo didn't exactly look world beating early in the season.I suppose his return will add a bit of competition for places if nothing else.

its worth mentioning that Morgan was carrying a serious shoulder injury in the games he played in for us this season. Once he is fully fit he will be an asset upfront both as a targetman and a striker who can chip in with goals too.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Morgan did do well for Shrewsbury but that was in a side who primarily played the long-ball game. We've been at our best this season (and have tried to do it even when not at our best) when playing short, sharp, forward passing football along the ground involving Lavery, Reid, Alessandra and Hourihane. We haven't really played the long ball that much this season and not as a first resort.

That's why I'd be happy to have Morgan as a Plan B, but we've generally been using attackers who are comfortable with the ball at their feet so far. I have no doubt Morgan's more effective in another system but I don't think he's good enough for us to accommodate our whole style around him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 3:26 am

I have liked the look of Morgan when I have seen him, can't say I agree with the way Shez has used him tactically though.

Get him up front, get him elbowing, get him being a nuisance, and use that magnet head of his.

Let Reid and Alessandra provide additional threats with diversionary runs and forward play.

A Reid/Morgan partnership could wreak havoc if done properly - like Hayles/SEB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 am

Reid and Morgan up front ? Dont really see any value in playing 2 big strikers up front,neither have much pace..although they can both cause a nuisance and hold the ball up pretty well.
Its another small quick pacy striker that we need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Reid has some considerable pace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 pm

looks like no one is coming in today or tomorrow according to Sheridan's latest press conference. Link to follow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 pm

What happened to the 15 a season league striker that was supposedly a target ? More bull or was it a clear "no thank you" ?
More and more, as the seasons go by, it is clear that this club is no longer a draw for any decent player. We already know the age old far flung outpost argument, but something new must be at play since administration. Can only be the money we are offering, or no one with half a choice fancies this club anymore as a good bet for other reasons.
And this is Division 4, not Division 2. Argyle have never struggled to attract signatures at this level. What are the chances of attracting on a full contract a player of the ilk of Ade Littlejohn nowadays at this level ? Seemingly zero.

Given the huge historic and rising debt, I can't see anything different for years and years. Glad I've been told to support Manchester thingy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Winter Green wrote:
What happened to the 15 a season league striker that was supposedly a target ? More bull or was it a clear "no thank you" ?
More and more, as the seasons go by, it is clear that this club is no longer a draw for any decent player. We already know the age old far flung outpost argument, but something new must be at play since administration. Can only be the money we are offering, or no one with half a choice fancies this club anymore as a good bet for other reasons.
And this is Division 4, not Division 2. Argyle have never struggled to attract signatures at this level. What are the chances of attracting on a full contract a player of the ilk of Ade Littlejohn nowadays at this level ?  Seemingly zero.

Given the huge historic and rising debt, I can't see anything different for years and years. Glad I've been told to support Manchester thingy.

8 players have said no

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 pm

I thought sad al said the speccy messiah was going for it in the transfer window? shirley northhamton must have a fourth choice striker we could borrow?
Back to top Go down
argyl3

argyl3

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Perhaps the players that said no do not like a combination of Sheridan, Money and facilities?
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:11 am

It look like Wednesday will  have Wickham back soon and they are after Fryatt from Hull

Quotes

According to Carlton Palmer Wckham has turned two moves down to be sold. Also to go out on loan to other club. He's made it clear to Gus Poyet and to Milan Mandaric, he wants to come back to Wednesday.
We're hoping to get the deal done when the emergency loan window opens up.

According to Dom Hewson of the Sheffield Star. It would have to be a full transfer for Matty Fryatt. Hull want £500k for him. I don't think that is bad for a striker of his quality.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 12:42 pm

Whether he signs a striker or not,i think the Play-Offs are too far away now. Had Argyle beaten 'Nam and Mansfield Town,then that route would still have been in reach.

Still,it is a much better season than the last few,what with not having to worry about a relegation scrap ?.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 pm

can still give it a go can't we ?
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:29 am

Wickham back to Wed

Quotes

He tweeted something yesterday about asking for recommendations on moving agents ?

He will be here on Thursday, latest Friday. Allegedly
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 am

Davidfriio4 wrote:
can still give it a go can't we ?

Well we can,but 11 points is a big ask and that would depend on some of those top sides fluffing up ''big time''.

Tis emergency loans this week,so let's see if JS can bring someone in ?.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:33 am

No point now, save the budget for next year and hope that we can hang onto the better of our out of contract players, having said that most of the team are just fillers that would need to be shed in league 1. We are paying the price for signing good league 2 players, fine if you want to play I league 2 all your life but not so good for progression. At this rate we will be waiting another two years to really make an impact.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 am

Shall be amazed if it's only two years.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Iggy wrote:
No point now, save the budget for next year and hope that we can hang onto the better of our out of contract players, having said that most of the team are just fillers that would need to be shed in league 1. We are paying the price for signing good league 2 players, fine if you want to play I league 2 all your life but not so good for progression. At this rate we will be waiting another two years to really make an impact.

indeed.

I would expect nothing but promotion next season.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Will not be here next season,

Caolan Lavery has extended his stay at Hillsbrough for one more year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Will not be here next season,

Caolan Lavery has extended his stay at Hillsbrough for one more year.

Even so if he were to go anywhere it would be for a higher profile club if he continues to develop in the way he has been lately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Striker ?   New Striker ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Striker ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2