Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

John Sheridan isn't that bad

Go down 
AuthorMessage

John Sheridan isn't that bad Empty
PostSubject: John Sheridan isn't that bad   John Sheridan isn't that bad EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There's a win % ratio statistic at the bottom. I'm quite surprised that the win % ratio for Sheridan is the highest for any Argyle manager since Sturrock mark 1.

True that Holloway, Pulis etc. managed us in a more difficult league but we can only pick up wins against our contemporary teams. I thought he'd had a fairly torrid time since he arrived - maybe that's cynicism. I also thought we'd drawn more games than we have under Sheridan.

Way before my time but Mike Kelly wins the 'worst ever manager' award - even worse than Mariner, Reid and Fletcher.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan isn't that bad   John Sheridan isn't that bad EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 pm

hairy j wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There's a win % ratio statistic at the bottom. I'm quite surprised that the win % ratio for Sheridan is the highest for any Argyle manager since Sturrock mark 1.

True that Holloway, Pulis etc. managed us in a more difficult league but we can only pick up wins against our contemporary teams. I thought he'd had a fairly torrid time since he arrived - maybe that's cynicism. I also thought we'd drawn more games than we have under Sheridan.

Way before my time but Mike Kelly wins the 'worst ever manager' award - even worse than Mariner, Reid and Fletcher.
Mike Kelly was the cheapjack option taken by the board after Waiters had been criminally sawn off by Daniel and co,another collection of useless Janner professionals/businessmen who proved to be all mouth and no cash or ambition when we failed yet again to capitalise on the momentum gained from promotion in spite of our gates being 5th best in the old second division.His reign ended on rather a comical note when he threatened to stick a camera up the backside of a Westward TV reporter trying to obtain an interview after his resignation.Another doomed promotee from within,in the same category as Ufton,McCall,Jones and Fletcher.

I'm not sure that those stats for Sheridan are correct.15 games have been played this season and i'm pretty sure that he was in charge for a lot more than 12 games last season.Can't be arsed to work out exactly how many matches he had last season but from what i remember his record was fairly even in terms of wins,draws and losses,that 40% figure would seem to be rather generous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan isn't that bad   John Sheridan isn't that bad EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:22 pm

6th January 2013

Last season
Played 19, won 7 drew 4 lost 8 - win ratio 37%

This season
Played 15, won 5 drew 3 lost 7 - win ratio 33%

Bloody wikipedia.

Delete this thread immediately - my hunch was correct. Still, he's actually not as bad as I did think he was and it's likely we'll win a few before Xmas as we're playing teams we can beat.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan isn't that bad   John Sheridan isn't that bad EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 pm

To some extent i think the win percentage stat is irrelevant anyway.Depends on what a manager inherits-if someone takes over a pile of steaming dog crap,then he isn't going to register a 50% win rate straight away,no matter how good he may be in the diverse aspects of management.So many variables to consider-resources,recent club history,player acceptance,director cluelessness,all can contribute to making a good manager look bad or vice versa.Most managers,outside of people like Ferguson,Wenger etc,tend to end up with chequered careers-i guess you only have to look at the records of people like Warnock,Holloway,Sturrock and Reid for confirmation-regarded as abject failures at some clubs,yet revered at others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan isn't that bad   John Sheridan isn't that bad EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 10:34 am

You could argue that this seasons figuepres are a lot worse than last seasons because it is now Sheridans team not an inherited one from a sacked manager.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan isn't that bad   John Sheridan isn't that bad Empty

Back to top Go down

John Sheridan isn't that bad
Page 1 of 1