Freathy
mouldyoldgoat
Czarcasm
Dougie
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

What other city would give you this? Empty
PostSubject: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 9:11 pm

https://twitter.com/Plymouth2013/status/391957255278440448/photo/1

Portsmouth for one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:50 am

Yea Man wrote:
https://twitter.com/Plymouth2013/status/391957255278440448/photo/1

Portsmouth for one.
It's like a primary school test - they'll be dishing out gold stars next!!
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Genuine question. Is Plymouth actually an Ocean? city
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Nah it's something that spunktrumpet Jones came up with after no doubt week's of procrastination and a feck off great load of cash.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Dougie wrote:
Genuine question.  Is Plymouth actually an Ocean? city
Only if you're really shit at Geography.

Tbf, they probably knew that most peoples first reaction to the tag line would be a scratch of the head, while you thought about exactly why they'd used the word Ocean. I still don't understand why they still ran with it tho'. Surely "Britains Maritime City" has more of a ring to it, and more relevant?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Dougie wrote:
Well it's stuck at the end of the English Chanel and the Atlantic Ocean starts when you get past Ushant and Scilies? (where's Seadog when you need him?) so a more accurate description may be Plymouth only a days sailing from the Ocean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 pm

So that tagline should be:

Welcome to Plymouth, Britain's English Channel City.

Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm

I like Czarcasm though Iggys made me laugh.

Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:28 pm

As an aside does Plymouth produce a great number of international racing sailors? I remember Ben Ainslie trained once upon a time in Plymouth (why no post box) but are there others?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 pm

To me it's obvious it should be Plymouth, the Mayflower City.

Everyone knows about the Mayflower and the yanks would have multiple orgasms about it.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Plymouth, Gateway to the West.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Tbf, they probably knew that most peoples first reaction to the tag line would be a scratch of the head, while you thought about exactly why they'd used the word Ocean.  I still don't understand why they still ran with it tho'. Surely "Britains Maritime City" has more of a ring to it, and more relevant?
Say Britiain's Maritime City and people think of Southampton or Liverpool as the major ports where the big ocean liners and cargo ships in days of yore sailed from.  I agree though Ocean City is crap. But can't use Britain's Naval City as that's Pompey - CINCFLEET, HMS Victory, Nelson etc etc.  We should revert to City of Discovery as it's more relevant- Drake, Raleigh, I even think Charles Darwin sailed from Plymouth on HMS Beagle.  Where did Cook's ship Endevour sail from?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Cook left Plymouth on August 25, 1768.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Freathy wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Tbf, they probably knew that most peoples first reaction to the tag line would be a scratch of the head, while you thought about exactly why they'd used the word Ocean.  I still don't understand why they still ran with it tho'. Surely "Britains Maritime City" has more of a ring to it, and more relevant?
Say Britiain's Maritime City and people think of Southampton or Liverpool as the major ports where the big ocean liners and cargo ships in days of yore sailed from.  I agree though Ocean City is crap. But can't use Britain's Naval City as that's Pompey - CINCFLEET, HMS Victory, Nelson etc etc.  We should revert to City of Discovery as it's more relevant- Drake, Raleigh, I even think Charles Darwin sailed from Plymouth on HMS Beagle.  Where did Cook's ship Endevour sail from?
I suppose it depends whether you're attempting to market the city on its past historical references, which of course perfectly fits with the old tag line of 'Spirit of Discovery'. For me, the Maritime reference pretty much encompasses all things 'seafaring'.

Either way, they're both preferable to Ocean City.

Last edited by Czarcasm on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pete1886

Pete1886

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 pm

I always liked the signs that said "Plymouth city of disco"
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:34 pm

PCC bag o' still has the original vision statements from David Mackay in 2003 when the Maritime City tag was used.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

If you eye up the lighthouse on the Hoe with the lighthouse on the Breakwater, to the right is the Atlantic and to the left is the English Channel. So I was told!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Ocean City
What other city would give you this? Atlantic_Ocean_-_en_IHO

It's pretty close so what's the issue. Spirit of Discovery, Positively Plymouth et al are all a bit familiar so you have toebrand every now and again. It's not a bad tagline to have.

What's the smallest Ocean in the World?
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Dougie wrote:
No as Plymouth sound is not an Ocean, I am amazed trading standards haven't prosecuted PCC for misleading advertising.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 5:21 pm

When i think of ocean city i think of Atlantis and the like.
Trying to tag Plymouth with ridiculous melodramatic titles is almost as embarrassing as that ridiculous Aviva advert .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 5:21 pm

That twitter account that yea man posted is a right arrogant cvnt just read what he has said its quite disgusting and makes me think its nool guy lol
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Why does a city need a 'brand' anyway? When I go travelling - and I go to cities a lot - I go because of what's there, not what some overpaid marketing geyser's thought up.

What a pity that this kind of advertising - tasteful, truthful, beautifully designed and completely lacking in 'branding' is now considered old-fashioned:
What other city would give you this? DS111089-101740_2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

That's got branding though and a strap line and it's stylised. You don't know much about branding obviously. Ocean City is a pretty good way to advertise Plymouth globally. I hated it at first but it's grown on me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:27 pm

But it is not an ocean city, thats the point
Do you really think it is going to bring more visitors by having signs made up claiming it?
How about claiming the World's 3rd largest natural made harbour

Also don't agree with Bunney claiming Mount Wise is a cess pitt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Plymouth- The lotion city. If you pick anything unexpected up during your visit don't worry help is at hand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What other city would give you this?   What other city would give you this? Empty

Back to top Go down

What other city would give you this?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next