Sir Francis Drake
Han Solos Other Ship
cornysteve
Tringreen
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Anyone who continued to watch Argyle under the management of David Kemp counts as a super-fan in my view.

I agree, Graham, that the supporters need to get behind the team. But I'm not sure that they wouldn't do that anyway, whether they attend the games or not.
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 12:41 pm

knecht wrote:
Anyone who continued to watch Argyle under the management of David Kemp counts as a super-fan in my view.

I agree, Graham, that the supporters need to get behind the team. But I'm not sure that they wouldn't do that anyway, whether they attend the games or not.

Totally. Going forward what would also be nice IMO is if the "superfans" got behind ALL the supporters of this club, regardless of whether they spent 18 hours on a coach to the back of bumfuck back in god knows when, and dropped the self congratulatory condescension and derision.

After all you dont hear the premier league clubs deriding parts of their fanbase (well not since that Newcastle chairmen. Oh yeah and Hulls owner...ok, you get the idea). They know large portions of their support comes not from Manchester or London but from its global tv audience in places like se Asia.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Ultimately PAFC will outlive the likes of Newell, Webb and Brent and the rest of the intellectually challenged that slink around H.P.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Graham Clark wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
The all important factor in hooking the potential fanbase are clear statements of ambition. The Stapleton regime was the last in a long line to fail miserably to inspire.For a club with no top flight history there simply has to be a reason to believe. The hardcore 5k can't seem to understand that all clubs are /were the same. The wider fanbase need a sign and Argyle have always failed to provide a reason to believe.

Plymouth remains the largest city club never to experience top flight football with the resultant increase in hooked fanbase. The likes of Norwich and Southampton achieved this 40 years ago when previously we were on a par with them, support wise.
Now we have the likes of Reading, Swansea, Cardiff joining the party. It could just as easily be us.

Hull were the previous biggest city club never to have got the T shirt. They got a decent stadium which demonstrated ambition. The attendances increased with the feelgood/ feel proud factor and the rest, as they say, is history.

Us oldies can remember our grandparents muttering, 'Same old Argo', referring to the lack of ambition and investment at crucial times. 'They don't want to go up', was another.

If Brent really 'gets it', he would take on board these facts and build for a brighter future for the football club. He won't.

Clearly, he and others have other agendas and they will never be forgiven, no matter how many lower league matches they attend.

Very sad.
Apologies to those who have heard it all before, hundreds of times.

The City of Brighton & Hove has a population of 273,000 (2011). It is now the largest city not to experience top flight football. They have a Chairman who has massively invested massively in the stadium and the team, including the players wages, making an unsustainable financial loss in the process. The adoption of the Financial Fair Play rules by Championship clubs will make this impossible to replicate. The recent SCMP in Leagues 1 and 2 also provide a brake on the reliance of high net worth individuals funding club's speedy progress through the football pyramid.

Like it not a structured and sustainable approach to a club's progress and 'living within your means' is the only realistic way forward. With an improving team and the prospect of a play off inspired financial boost means the club club are best placed to make progress than in the last five years or so. Whether this Chairman supported by his largely non- executive board can provide the necessary requirements to build upon our recent on pitch improvement remains to be seen. The fundamental of success is unity on and off the pitch. We have seen much of the former and little of the latter. Time to stand up and be counted in my view and that includes the supporters. Let's see where we end up at the end of the season and then a proper and informed debate on the way forward for the football club can begin.

Unfortunately there will never be a proper and informed debate with the current custodians of the club, which means more disinterested fans rather than standing up and being counted as you say.
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Graham Clark wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
The all important factor in hooking the potential fanbase are clear statements of ambition. The Stapleton regime was the last in a long line to fail miserably to inspire.For a club with no top flight history there simply has to be a reason to believe. The hardcore 5k can't seem to understand that all clubs are /were the same. The wider fanbase need a sign and Argyle have always failed to provide a reason to believe.

Plymouth remains the largest city club never to experience top flight football with the resultant increase in hooked fanbase. The likes of Norwich and Southampton achieved this 40 years ago when previously we were on a par with them, support wise.
Now we have the likes of Reading, Swansea, Cardiff joining the party. It could just as easily be us.

Hull were the previous biggest city club never to have got the T shirt. They got a decent stadium which demonstrated ambition. The attendances increased with the feelgood/ feel proud factor and the rest, as they say, is history.

Us oldies can remember our grandparents muttering, 'Same old Argo', referring to the lack of ambition and investment at crucial times. 'They don't want to go up', was another.

If Brent really 'gets it', he would take on board these facts and build for a brighter future for the football club. He won't.

Clearly, he and others have other agendas and they will never be forgiven, no matter how many lower league matches they attend.

Very sad.
Apologies to those who have heard it all before, hundreds of times.

The City of Brighton & Hove has a population of 273,000 (2011). It is now the largest city not to experience top flight football. They have a Chairman who has massively invested massively in the stadium and the team, including the players wages, making an unsustainable financial loss in the process. The adoption of the Financial Fair Play rules by Championship clubs will make this impossible to replicate. The recent SCMP in Leagues 1 and 2 also provide a brake on the reliance of high net worth individuals funding club's speedy progress through the football pyramid.

Like it not a structured and sustainable approach to a club's progress and 'living within your means' is the only realistic way forward. With an improving team and the prospect of a play off inspired financial boost means the club club are best placed to make progress than in the last five years or so. Whether this Chairman supported by his largely non- executive board can provide the necessary requirements to build upon our recent on pitch improvement remains to be seen. The fundamental of success is unity on and off the pitch. We have seen much of the former and little of the latter. Time to stand up and be counted in my view and that includes the supporters. Let's see where we end up at the end of the season and then a proper and informed debate on the way forward for the football club can begin.

Pretty sure Brighton had a spell in the top flight for a few years in the early 80s. Seem to remember Alan Mullery getting them there.
Back to top Go down
Daz Evans

Daz Evans

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 3:00 pm

exactly nzgreen, I hate all this I'm a better fan than anyone rubbish, we should as a club be doing what we can to get fans through the gates, not calling them pathetic names and telling them they're not welcome.
Back to top Go down
Daz Evans

Daz Evans

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 3:01 pm

nzgreen wrote:
Daz Evans wrote:
So as someone who doesn't go to home matches as I live in Derby now I can't go to Wembley as I'm a plastic....

I don't remember there being a lot of Superfans at Scarborough on a Tuesday night in 99 (we lost), or even home to Darlington when we lost 1-0 in 96!

And this is the reason I feel more and more detached from the club I started supporting in 1981, but hey I guess the money and time I put in regularly until a couple of years ago or the money I put into buckets when I came down for matches isn't good enough.

Absolutely.

We can all do the superfan thing if we really wanted; like the time when me and about 200 others were at dean court on a cold Tuesday night, where it rained so hard it stung your eyes, and blew so hard the wads of used fivers were literally being blown out of grobellars underpants.

exactly nzgreen, I hate all this I'm a better fan than anyone rubbish, we should as a club be doing what we can to get fans through the gates, not calling them pathetic names and telling them they're not welcome.
Back to top Go down
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Tis the small minded Janner mentality though. Look at clubs such as Burnley who are a massive part of the local community.

We've never had that
Back to top Go down
All the Presidents Men

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
There was about 39000 fans at Wembley that day made up of roughly 30000 from Argyle and 9000 from Darlington.

That's why Darlington were ruined by having a 25000 capacity stadium they could never hope to fill.

That's why I think we are in the process of being ruined by limiting the stadium capacity to 17000.

We're busting a gut trying to get Brent to see the folly of his plans and for the hope of one day being able to increase capacity to 20000 and even that is 5000, minimum, too small!

And what makes it worse is that the likes of Newell, Webb, Jones, De Lar are helping him.

If they were to think of a bigger future instead of feathering their own nests, Brent's plans would have little or no support from anywhere.

They will never be forgiven if this goes ahead.

Just what have 3 of those 4 delinquents been promised or given to be so happy with Brent?

Something Heaney didn't promise obviously.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 6:25 pm

[quote="Hitch"][quote="Graham Clark"][quote="Tringreen"]The all important factor in hooking the potential fanbase are clear statements of ambition. The Stapleton regime was the last in a long line to fail miserably to inspire.For a club with no top flight history there simply has to be a reason to believe. The hardcore 5k can't seem to understand that all clubs are /were the same. The wider fanbase need a sign and Argyle have always failed to provide a reason to believe.

Very sad.
Apologies to those who have heard it all before, hundreds of times.[/quote]

[b]The City of Brighton & Hove has a population of 273,000 (2011). It is now the largest city not to experience top flight football. [/b]They have a Chairman who has massively invested massively in the stadium and the team, including the players wages, making an unsustainable financial loss in the process. The adoption of the Financial Fair Play rules by Championship clubs will make this impossible to replicate. The recent SCMP in Leagues 1 and 2 also provide a brake on the reliance of high net worth individuals funding club's speedy progress through the football pyramid.

Like it not a structured and sustainable approach to a club's progress and 'living within your means' is the only realistic way forward. With an improving team and the prospect of a play off inspired financial boost means the club club are best placed to make progress than in the last five years or so. Whether this Chairman supported by his largely non- executive board can provide the necessary requirements to build upon our recent on pitch improvement remains to be seen. The fundamental of success is unity on and off the pitch. We have seen much of the former and little of the latter. Time to stand up and be counted in my view and that includes the supporters. Let's see where we end up at the end of the season and then a proper and informed debate on the way forward for the football club can begin.[/quote]

Pretty sure Brighton had a spell in the top flight for a few years in the early 80s. Seem to remember Alan Mullery getting them there.[/quote]

They did,in the late seventies/early eighties-Mullery was indeed the manager and they got there on a firmer basis than "unity"-they were bankrolled heavily by a guy called Mike Bamber,who i think was a property developer in the area.I suppose Mr Clark may be technically correct in that Brighton and Hove became a city after that time but 'tis mere quibbling.

Unity will only get you so far and is not the fundamental of success-without players who are more than adequate to meet the demands of a particular standard,then progress will not be achieved,as Argyle have found to their cost on more than one foray into the second tier of English football.Bit ironic that Graham Clark should state that "high net worth individuals" are having the brakes applied on the day that Argyle have been beaten at home by a club with about half the average attendance figure but who have spent heavily to attract quality players to cement their position at the top of the division but there you go.I'd be interested to see how many clubs really do "live within their means" in the football league and even more interested to hear how any of them manage to achieve anything on the pitch.
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 pm

See the farm high command are literally stroking each others balls with their outing of lutongreen, whoever that is...couldn't care less but it does illustrate the infantile mindset which controls that site.

In my view the superfans like nool are in fact, SHIT fans; they do more to alienate and divide the fanbase than any other fan I can think of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle at Wembley   Argyle at Wembley - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle at Wembley
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3