Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.

Go down 
+9
Greenskin
Sir Francis Drake
Rickler
Cornish Chris
harvetheslayer
Les Miserable
Josh Pope
Dick Trickle
VillageGreen
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. Empty
PostSubject: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 11:43 am

Now that Argyle have all but got the final Play-Off spot [7th], can they navigate a way to Wembley and promotion to League One.

With two tough Play-Off Semi-Finals awaiting the greens, will it be joy or heartbreak for JS, his merry men and we , the long suffering fans.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 12:26 pm

I reckon we are 10/1 outsiders of 4.

Possible but improbable. We don't have the quality of teams like Bury and in addition we don't have momentum.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 12:43 pm

Disagree about quality. It's the tactically inept manager that's only got us 7th, not the players.

People like Reid, Hartley, McHugh, Nelson, McCormick and arguable Bobby and AOC are all good enough for this division at least, those ones could play at a higher level as well imo.

Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Paven wrote:
Disagree about quality. It's the tactically inept manager that's only got us 7th, not the players.

People like Reid, Hartley, McHugh, Nelson, McCormick and arguable Bobby and AOC are all good enough for this division at least, those ones could play at a higher level as well imo.

And who brought the majority of those players to the club? clown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Paven wrote:

Signing a good quality of player doesn't make a manager a good tactical thinker, or n expert at negotiating home and away knockout formats.

Argyle haven't had a good confident performance against top half opposition for what feels like a long time. Northampton at home? Wycome away?

Anything can happen, I am fully behind Shez. But with Reid a shadow of himself pre-Christmas, loans returning, I would be lying if I said I was confident Sheridan will put the likes of Bury or Southend in their place.

Our saving grace is that the players are good enough. McCormick, Hartley, Nelson, McHugh, Mellor, THD, O'Connor, Cox, Bobby, Alessandra and Reuben have all had storming MOM displays for Sheridan.

We just need Sheridan and the players to pull it all together in two big matches.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I'd say with our level of support we would be favourites of the 4. Completely capable of beating any team on the day.
Get through a semi final and I'd heavily back Argyle to win the Final roared on by 30,000 plus, certainly 3 times as many (probably 4) that any other team might have behind them
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 pm

ejh wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Paven wrote:

Signing a good quality of player doesn't make a manager a good tactical thinker, or n expert at negotiating home and away knockout formats.

Argyle haven't had a good confident performance against top half opposition for what feels like a long time. Northampton at home? Wycome away?

Anything can happen, I am fully behind Shez. But with Reid a shadow of himself pre-Christmas, loans returning, I would be lying if I said I was confident Sheridan will put the likes of Bury or Southend in their place.

Our saving grace is that the players are good enough. McCormick, Hartley, Nelson, McHugh, Mellor, THD, O'Connor, Cox, Bobby, Alessandra and Reuben have all had storming MOM displays for Sheridan.

We just need Sheridan and the players to pull it all together in two big matches.

Never said it does but we might have had a tactically astute manager who signed a flock of nomarks who led us to 17th instead of 7th that was my point, as the old saying goes, if yer aunty had bollocks.......

Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm sure somebody can dig out Sheridan's stats against the top few teams over the last few years.

This season so far:

Argyle 1-1 Stevenage
Stevenage 1-0 Argyle (Stevenage 2-1 on aggregate)

Argyle 2-0 Southend
Southend 0-0 Argyle (Argyle 2-0)

Argyle 0-1 Wycombe
Wycombe 0-2 Argyle (Argyle 2-1)

Bury 2-1 Argyle
Argyle 1-2 Bury (Bury 4-2)
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
I'm sure somebody can dig out Sheridan's stats against the top few teams over the last few years.

This season so far:

Argyle 1-1 Stevenage
Stevenage 1-0 Argyle (Stevenage 2-1 on aggregate)

Argyle 2-0 Southend
Southend 0-0 Argyle (Argyle 2-0)

Argyle 0-1 Wycombe
Wycombe 0-2 Argyle (Argyle 2-1)

Bury 2-1 Argyle
Argyle 1-2 Bury (Bury 4-2)

Those stats mean nothing in two one off games.

I am undecided as to whether Argyle can get to Wembley or not.

1996 was fun and a good day out in London, but Argyle had won the game and so it was relief and happiness.

Losing in the upcoming Play-Off Semi-Finals would be heartbreaking, but not as heartbreaking if Argyle made it to Wembley and lost.

Strong heads and focussed minds will be the order of the day from now until the first Play-Off Semi-Final.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:55 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
. I'd heavily back Argyle to win the Final roared on by 30,000 plus, certainly 3 times as many (probably 4) that any other team might have behind them

30,000 plus...

Lol.. That figment of the imagination again.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 3:08 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
I'd say with our level of support we would be favourites of the 4. Completely capable of beating any team on the day.
Get through a semi final and I'd heavily back Argyle to win the Final roared on by 30,000 plus, certainly 3 times as many (probably 4) that any other team might have behind them

scratch You don't think Stevenage or Wycombe with their close proximity to London could muster 15,000ish then? I do. Southend would probably manage even more, around 20k I'd say so your 3or4x estimation looks iffy at best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 3:30 pm

ejh wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Paven wrote:

Poppycock

Sheridan has done well enough with a totally inept board and owner and a strong 11. Why you werent under the impression we were going to do anybetter where you lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 3:32 pm

I for one will insist a mural goes up of sheridan with a bottle of tequilla funded by atd as a feck you to the idiots that spent more time slandering him then they have questioning the board and team.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:

scratch   You don't think Stevenage or Wycombe with their close proximity to London could muster 15,000ish then?  I do. Southend would probably manage even more, around 20k I'd say so your 3or4x estimation looks iffy at best.

I wouldn't expect Stevenage to muster even 20,000. Southend, on the other hand, I'm sure would muster in good numbers.

I don't know what the record attendance is in our division but Argyle v Southend could well be right up there with the best. It might even set a new record.

And what does "good enough for the next division" mean? Filling a squad place or starting regularly? In a team at the bottom or the top? Bobby Reid is a good case in point. We might think he's good enough for the next division but Steve Cotterill clearly didn't; even Hartley and McHugh with plenty of appearances in the next division were let go by their old teams; Rueben has scored plenty on this division but in the next was let go by Yeovil.

I remember the first game we played when Sturrock's mob went up in '02. It was v Huddersfield who were no great shakes in the division back then. To a man Huddersfield looked bigger, faster, stronger and fitter. Somehow we found a way to beat them but it was a bit of a wake-up call as to what we would be facing week-in week-out. If we go up the same will apply next year if we don't strengthen substantially.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm

We're not going to win one play-off game you deluded fools.

It'll be business as usual next season, i.e mediocre, mundane, win some, lose most, 4th division shitballs with gravy.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 4:56 pm

You just never know PoI.

We're all haunted by Burnley but after they beat us they played a bloody side in Danny Bergara's Stockport complete with Preece and Francis, Jim Gannon and a host of good solid performers. Stockport had been near the top of the division for 2, maybe 3, years. A really good side at that level but they 2 men sent off in the first 20 minutes and even then Burnley only won 2-1 - but win they did.

Anything can happen.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Paven wrote:

Me and a few notable others warned about strength in depth and a lack of a quality midfield, funny that we only dragged ourselves up to seventh with the return of AOC and his two goals and a few assists. Lightweight teams are easy to beat once the five decent players are Sussed out and marked out of games. Shez has done well with a mediocre team.
Still waiting to hear the goal scoring records of the players that aren't scoring now that we're before they joined us that's suggests the quality you speak of.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Can anyone actually define the phrase "tactically inept"? It seems to be used pretty frequently, almost mindlessly in fact, but what are the actual terms of reference for the phrase? Presumably all of the managers who lost to Argyle this season were even more "tactically inept" on that particular day? And if players like Hartley, McHugh,Blizzard, Reid, Alessandra etc were that good, why did they actually get rejected by clubs in the higher division in the first place? It was very interesting to read Plympton Pilgrims report of the game on Saturday-his first match for a while and he very quickly spotted the lack of pace throughout the team and in particular the central defenders [Nelson excepted]-very astute and relevant observation IMHO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Yes we can and we will
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 pm

We can win the playoffs but we must avoid bury as they are too strong for us.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I wouldn't expect Stevenage to muster even 20,000. Southend, on the other hand, I'm sure would muster in good numbers.

I don't know what the record attendance is in our division but Argyle v Southend could well be right up there with the best. It might even set a new record.

Not sure about Stevo taking 20k, they are non league, Sarfend would consider themselves to be every bit as big a club as you, the record is 61,500 and change and was mostly down to Gassers, who incidentally turned up in bigger numbers than your lot for a Conference game on Saturday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 11:34 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Can anyone actually define the phrase "tactically inept"? It seems to be used pretty frequently, almost mindlessly in fact, but what are the actual terms of reference for the phrase? Presumably all of the managers who lost to Argyle this season were even more "tactically inept" on that particular day?  And if players like Hartley, McHugh,Blizzard, Reid, Alessandra etc were that good, why did they actually get rejected by clubs in the higher division in the first place? It was very interesting to read Plympton Pilgrims report of the game on Saturday-his first match for a while and he very quickly spotted the lack of pace throughout the team and in particular the central defenders [Nelson excepted]-very astute and relevant observation IMHO.

Inability to correct or rectify a problem on the pitch emanating from tactical deficiencies?

In its most obvious form, we simply dread seeing that first goal go in - we know it is roughly 95% likelihood an Argyle win is off the cards. Sheridan just won't turn it around - be grateful for an equaliser.

If a side has too much pace, too much physicality, great ball retention - again we so often have no response other than to hope our 3-5-2 works and that is it.

Compare and contrast with other managers who can respond in play, tactics against tactics, we rarely see that level of analysis from our management.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 7:26 am

We're nowhere near good enough
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 9:05 am

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Can anyone actually define the phrase "tactically inept"? It seems to be used pretty frequently, almost mindlessly in fact, but what are the actual terms of reference for the phrase? Presumably all of the managers who lost to Argyle this season were even more "tactically inept" on that particular day?  And if players like Hartley, McHugh,Blizzard, Reid, Alessandra etc were that good, why did they actually get rejected by clubs in the higher division in the first place? It was very interesting to read Plympton Pilgrims report of the game on Saturday-his first match for a while and he very quickly spotted the lack of pace throughout the team and in particular the central defenders [Nelson excepted]-very astute and relevant observation IMHO.

Inability to correct or rectify a problem on the pitch emanating from tactical deficiencies?

In its most obvious form, we simply dread seeing that first goal go in - we know it is roughly 95% likelihood an Argyle win is off the cards. Sheridan just won't turn it around - be grateful for an equaliser.

If a side has too much pace, too much physicality, great ball retention - again we so often have no response other than to hope our 3-5-2 works and that is it.

Compare and contrast with other managers who can respond in play, tactics against tactics, we rarely see that level of analysis from our management.

Do you really think that in some way Shez is somehow preventing our illustrious players from scoring when we go 1 down? scratch
It's more like you have believed we've had the team to piss this league since last September and are too embarressed to admit your lack of judgement. There are several posters who's comment I take seriously you are not one of them.
deadhorse
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 am

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

So if any team is facing those disadvantages in a game, they should be overcome by the tactical ability of the manager? Don't think many managers would have "tactical eptitude" to solve those problems in all truth-it certainly hasn't been the case when watching various Argyle managers struggle with the obvious superiority of teams higher up the football stratosphere over the years. It's an interesting point about why Argyle have failed to win in the coming back from a goal down scenario. If the reasons are "tactical" how did they come from behind in the first place quite a few times to either draw games or even to go on to relinquish equality again? Did the tactics suddenly become right then suddenly turn wrong again or is the plain truth that Argyle simply don't have enough firepower in the team to win games consistently enough no matter what the circumstances? It would be very interesting to see how Sheridan's supposed tactical inability or otherwise was reflected in the stats at Oldham and Chesterfield-pound to a penny that they would be different to those at Argyle in the past couple of seasons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.   Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?. Empty

Back to top Go down

Another quick question, can Argyle make it to Wembley ?.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next