Elias
Lord Tisdale
Dougie
Sir Francis Drake
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am

I know friends of Luke's they say he re-lives that day, every day and always will. Whatever happens will never bring those kids back and as a father I know how I would feel, however luckily it is not down to the sun or the parents of victims to hand out sentencing and I hope it never will. He has been punished and will punish himself for ever after.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:33 am

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
GOB wrote:
Yes Knecht, the sun may well scream those things but I don't think the Sun would scream it quite so loud if McCormick was a warehouse man rather than a (maybe!) professional footballer, do you?

Of course they would GOB they where all over his wedding the other month like flies on shit

But would they be in ten years time if was a baker for ASDA?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm

So does that mean the measure of the rightness of a sentence and its continuation in other forms is down to the decisions taken by the Sun editor? Depends on what else is available for the news desk to run with on that day.

The Sun - The Conscience of the Nation!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm

knecht wrote:
So does that mean the measure of the rightness of a sentence and its continuation in other forms is down to the decisions taken by the Sun editor? Depends on what else is available for the news desk to run with on that day.

The Sun - The Conscience of the Nation!

Or those that purchase the Sun maybe?

Back to top Go down
Greenrod

Greenrod

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 4:27 pm

The publicity around Luke McCormick, playing for Truro, brings the tragic event back into the publics attention and highlights the dangers of drinking and driving and making sure your kids have seat belts on.
Coming up to Christmas it may make people think a little.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:36 pm

GOB wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:
GOB wrote:
Yes Knecht, the sun may well scream those things but I don't think the Sun would scream it quite so loud if McCormick was a warehouse man rather than a (maybe!) professional footballer, do you?

Of course they would GOB they where all over his wedding the other month like flies on shit

But would they be in ten years time if was a baker for ASDA?

of course as he was a known footballer they still do it to this day with celebs.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:52 am

GOB wrote:
I just think it would be decent and respectful to the family if he at least kept out of the headlines.

The decent and respectful thing to do would be for newspaper editors to stop publishing articles sensationalising the rehabilitation of an offender and respecting the fact that due process of law has taken place.

He's a free man who has served his sentence, he's entitled to ply whatever trade he likes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:55 am

X Isle wrote:
GOB wrote:
I just think it would be decent and respectful to the family if he at least kept out of the headlines.

The decent and respectful thing to do would be for newspaper editors to stop publishing articles sensationalising the rehabilitation of an offender and respecting the fact that due process of law has taken place.

He's a free man who has served his sentence, he's entitled to ply whatever trade he likes.

That's right Smiffy even though many won't be happy about it, the same as many won't be happy to have the media publish it but like McCormick, they are entitled to.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

The Sun can publish what it likes but it's not "decent and respectful" to publicly rake it all up for the family and harass/obstruct the rehabilitation of an offender. They'll be hurting 24/7 365 anyway I know, it'll never go away for them but in the vast majority of cases where due process of law has taken place the victims don't get a running commentary on what the offender is doing now.

If he offends again, fair enough. If he's caught making unremorseful or offensive remarks, fair enough, that's in the public interest. Thing is though he pleaded guilty, he's shown genuine remorse and he's served his sentence........what do they (family/Sun) want?, a Samurai style "decent and respectful" act to give them closure and a nice juicy headline?

The family's suffering won't end and the Sun will still be worthwhile only as bog paper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Good luck to the bloke. He caused something horrific but I believe he has been tormented by it every day since. I have nothing to prove that but it just seems to fit with the way he carried himself after the incident and through the trial.

I don't subscribe to the argument he should be a cleaner, TV repair man, whatever.......he should be the best he can at the thing at which he is most talented - and that happens to be a goalkeeper. Why should he take a job opportunity for someone else who could work in a factory when he has the capacity to do something else?

As for the press, we get what we deserve. Until the lazy of mind stop buying tabloid claptrap, it'll keep being churned out.
Back to top Go down
Naughty Step

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:34 am

Sorry guys! My first post on ATD and it's going to be contraversial.

I've had major arguements about Luke, with paramedics etc., I am also a father of children. I cannot describe how I would feel if it had been one of my daughters.

However!... There was just this one day... I was in the Devonport End and there was an incident where, a Swindon player got injured and the Devonport (When we used to be spontanious!) started singing a really bawdy song. Luke turned around and looked at the Devonport End and I realized...

I'm looking at a child!

It was just his reaction....

I think he should play his football in a different country but, I DO believe he should play football.

Just my view on the subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 am

Naughty Step wrote:
Sorry guys! My first post on ATD and it's going to be contraversial.

I've had major arguements about Luke, with paramedics etc., I am also a father of children. I cannot describe how I would feel if it had been one of my daughters.

However!... There was just this one day... I was in the Devonport End and there was an incident where, a Swindon player got injured and the Devonport (When we used to be spontanious!) started singing a really bawdy song. Luke turned around and looked at the Devonport End and I realized...

I'm looking at a child!

It was just his reaction....

I think he should play his football in a different country but, I DO believe he should play football.

Just my view on the subject.

I don't really understand that post, welcome by the way naughty step, but its late so I might be misreading it.

Horrible thing to say but if Luke had played for any other team I wouldn't have taken that much notice. I would have been initially shocked but these things happen all the time without a drunk driver killing two children being front page news.

Because he was a fairly obscure player outside of Argyle it won't have affected other teams fans as much, but it hit me hard because he was one of my hero's. I'd spoken to him at a couple of games, embraced him after beating Swindon away, and generally thought him brilliant.

That bubbles been burst now and I hate him for it. For disappointing me and letting me down, and of course for taking two young lives.

I don't hate Lee Hughes, I'm indifferent to him, but when you find out your idol has feet of clay it hurts.

I just hope he fades into the background somewhere and has nightmares about what he did. To remind him never to do anything like that again and to teach others not to as well.
Back to top Go down
Naughty Step

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 1:26 am

Hi Jock.
Thanks for the welcome. Appreciated!

This subject is like a minefield! I'm not condoning what happened. Like you, I believe that Luke was the major catalyst for our championship winning season. This feet of clay thing is valid... Aren't they all?

It hurts! I do believe, however that, Luke will live a life of hell.

I am doubting his intelligence because, he should not play football anywhere in this country.

I think he should play somewhere else because, he's not a murderer. He's been a very silly, and unlucky little boy!

I agree with what you say...It rubs very raw with me too.
Back to top Go down
baffled54

PostSubject: In reply to Greenjock   Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 11:12 pm

I had two things to say about your post, first Luke was not an obscure player outside of the Plymouth area and he does not need anything to remind him what happened that day, he will never forget it. If he just fades away into the background how will that teach anyone not to drink and drive, it would have a far greater effect on drink drivers if he played football at some level to remind people what the consequences are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 11:35 pm

baffled54 wrote:
I had two things to say about your post, first Luke was not an obscure player outside of the Plymouth area and he does not need anything to remind him what happened that day, he will never forget it. If he just fades away into the background how will that teach anyone not to drink and drive, it would have a far greater effect on drink drivers if he played football at some level to remind people what the consequences are.

He was hardly David Beckham though was he? My point was that he wasn't an England player or even a premier league player and before the incident became front page news, a lot of football fans would have been hard pressed to tell you what club he played for, so outside of Argyle supporters not many people would have been affected by it, unlike if he were more famous.

That's why I find it harder to want to see him playing again because it really did have an effect on me because I really loved him as an Argyle player and as I said it burst my bubble of revering him.

If I saw him playing well again on tv for another team I would be pissed right off that he a killed two young boys and b cost Argyle a bloody good keeper for several years.

By the same token I'm pissed off at the way we have lost so many decent players for peanuts and I don't really want to see them scoring hat tricks in the premier league while we're languishing at the foot of league 2.

Personal choice I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luke McCormick plays first match    Luke McCormick plays first match  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Luke McCormick plays first match
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2