Highwayman
Czarcasm
mouldyoldgoat
Pete1886
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Death of a Football Club - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Highwayman wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

pity it takes extremes before action happends isnt it. well done to the two Nikkk's of truro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Best stay in the Rugby Union Championship then, and keep banging onto to the authorities to relax their rules, and bang the economic sense of a diverse premier gene pool. . Wimbledon were allowed in the top division of football. It wasn't a problem, in fact it added spice to the story.

What would be the point if Argyle were given the chance to play in the Premiership, if they moved to Slough ?
If ALL successful businesses HAVE to move out the county and take their turnover with them, what's the point of having a successful business for anyone apart from the person that owns the business ?
That's a serious question.
It's just franchise stuff that is only interesting for a very few businessmen looking to pick up a floosy with good pedigree.

Last edited by Penzance on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
Highwayman wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

pity it takes extremes before action happends isnt it. well done to the two Nikkk's of truro

Funny you should say that. Tony Murtagh is apparently going to be the new owner of Truro City. He also knows a thing or two about handing out ridiculously high interest rate loans to people who can't afford them Very Happy

The funny thing is, he now makes money out of being part of the solution for these poor unfortunate people in debt up to their eyeballs. Make money out of giving dodgy loans, then make money as a debt solution scratch There are some really dodgy people in the finance market.

Plus he's a Man Utd fan who used to turn up to work in his FULL Manchester United Kit affraid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 pm

How often do football clubs actually cease to exist?

Hardly ever, because there's always someone who wants the kudos of being a football club owner.

That's why the numpties who keep on about Brent being the "only option" are wrong. There would have been someone else because there always is.

If you don't agree, please post a list of how many football clubs have gone bust in the last twenty years along side a list of those that have ceased to exist.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm glad they've been saved for the time being. Perhaps this isn't the time, and if it isn't feel free to ignore me. But at what point did Kevin Heaney become bad for Truro football club? I'm concerned when football fans they can spot a bad one after 5 promotions and an FA Vase win.

The other thing is would a GasBoard type affair stopped this happening at Truro? Especially a GasBoard type thing when the owner is insulated by a compliant fan base and spokespeople who are friends with the owner.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 5:00 am

the GASB is an additional 'firewall' for JB im convinced.

'well the group of fans elected by the fans oversaw the whole thing' will be the quote of the future mark my words.........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:57 am

Grovehill wrote:

Hardly ever, because there's always someone who wants the kudos of being a football club owner.

That's why the numpties who keep on about Brent being the "only option" are wrong. There would have been someone else because there always is.

If you don't agree, please post a list of how many football clubs have gone bust in the last twenty years along side a list of those that have ceased to exist.

Freak, mods can we please ban him?
Rule 4:1 amendment 3, no poster shall use facts to bolster an argument that makes the leaders out to be liars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Penzance wrote:
Best stay in the Rugby Union Championship then, and keep banging onto to the authorities to relax their rules, and bang the economic sense of a diverse premier gene pool. . Wimbledon were allowed in the top division of football. It wasn't a problem, in fact it added spice to the story.

What would be the point if Argyle were given the chance to play in the Premiership, if they moved to Slough ?
If ALL successful businesses HAVE to move out the county and take their turnover with them, what's the point of having a successful business for anyone apart from the person that owns the business ?
That's a serious question.
It's just franchise stuff that is only interesting for a very few businessmen looking to pick up a floosy with good pedigree.

the pirates need a stadium that holds a minimum of 10,500 if they are allowed into the premiership if not they will just remain stale for years to come so if this stadium for cornwall idea picks up its in the counties interest for them to be able to be among the elite. i dont know if they can expand their current ground i suspect not as its tiny so its their only option. Otherwise they will have to move to plymouth and we have our own rugby team Wink
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Grovehill wrote:

There's always someone yeah, but that's different to there always being someone else. You're right that clubs pretty much always get saved by an owner and we're an example of that- but there's nothing to say that clubs always have a neverending stash of possible owners.

Reminds me of the old moral story I got told at school that a man was stuck at the top of a burning building and refused the help of a helicopter cause he was convinced God would save him. When the flames engulfed him, he went to Heaven and asked God why he didn't save him. God replies that he sent the helicopter, surely that was a means of being saved?

With apologies to all atheists of the site for going overtly theological, I can't think of a better way of summing up my point. Football clubs always get saved yeah, we're an example. But Brent WAS our helicopter and he's the one who did take us out of liquidation. As the story says, if the helicopter had left then who's to say there would have been another way of saving us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

There's always someone yeah, but that's different to there always being someone else. You're right that clubs pretty much always get saved by an owner and we're an example of that- but there's nothing to say that clubs always have a neverending stash of possible owners.

Reminds me of the old moral story I got told at school that a man was stuck at the top of a burning building and refused the help of a helicopter cause he was convinced God would save him. When the flames engulfed him, he went to Heaven and asked God why he didn't save him. God replies that he sent the helicopter, surely that was a means of being saved?

With apologies to all atheists of the site for going overtly theological, I can't think of a better way of summing up my point. Football clubs always get saved yeah, we're an example. But Brent WAS our helicopter and he's the one who did take us out of liquidation. As the story says, if the helicopter had left then who's to say there would have been another way of saving us.

James Brent wouldn't pay out for a helicopter. He might get his stooges to make paper aeroplanes though.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:41 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Sorry to introduce facts into the argument again, but there were others who expressed an interest (not just Bullivant & Bil) One was frightened off by Webb & Co making threats about how the fans would react if that person got involved (Now why would they want LESS interest in buying the Club, surely the more the merrier?) And Pompey Fans trust are now the preferred bidder for saving that club, then of course there would have been people interested who didn't want to bid "in public" so to speak.

Who's to say there would have been another saviour?

Apart from the Webb mob & the CPers, whose to say there wouldn't have been?
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Oh lord brent our saviour. There is only one true bidder who camest to save us. We must persecute all unbelievers who deny the specky one. jocolor jocolor

The day the non-investing specky banker is gone cannot come soon enough!!!!!BRENT OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Buttivant and BIL I think we can safely discount due to lack of funds. So ok, Kassam. Fair reply. I guess there could have been another option and there's a school of thought which says we should perhaps have tried to be saved by a better owner rather than just any owner. I get that idea but I'd reply with three points.

1) The popular opinion amongst Oxford fans is that Kasaam cripples them. He brought their ground (note, not the assets around there) and charged Oxford an extortionate amount to rent the use of it. Bear in mind the fact that he wouldn't have paid off the staff in one go either, we really would have been restrained by payments if he did similar here.
2) Was it really the CP that scared off Kasaam? It all seemed a bit bizarre to me. One day he was interested out of the blue and the next day his interest had gone as quick as it had arrived. Maybe he just didn't want to be part of the deal for whatever reason, maybe he knew he'd be done by the "two club involvement" rule perhaps.
3) I personally think encouraging too many other bidders could have been a dangerous game. We had someone who we knew we had who was on the way to getting the deal done. Say there was other interest that was only interest and no more than that at an early stage. Take the reported Terry Venables and Micheal Jackson's mate interest for example. Would it really be worth possibly slowing down the Brent deal for the possibility of a better option that could be nothing at all? Essentially if there was no certainty that another option would be better than Brent, what we'd be doing is gambling a deal that was always gonna go through (the Brent deal) with a deal that was at that stage speculative. Looking at it from the most generous case scenario to your point of view. Lets say there was somebody there who would have funded the administration, allowing staff to be paid in the interim, allowing a respite for those going without pay whilst he negotiated a deal that could have been better for us in the long run than Brent. Was there someone who fulfilled that criteria? Even if Kasaam hadn't been "scared away" by the CP and had persevered with his interest, two questions need to be asked. Would he have paid the club running costs whilst he took the months it would have been to complete a deal (which even in itself posed the very real risk of serious restricting new signings such as Purse until we were out of admin)? Then would he have been better for the budgetary and playing side of it in the long run for Brent? All the evidence to me is against. If someone could have come in and done all of that in time for us to get some crucial signings in AND have been a better option in the long run that I'd agree the CP were wrong to focus only on Brent. I can't see that anyone was prepared to do that though.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Freathy wrote:
Oh lord brent our saviour. There is only one true bidder who camest to save us. We must persecute all unbelievers who deny the specky one. jocolor jocolor

The day the non-investing specky banker is gone cannot come soon enough!!!!!BRENT OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O save us Lord Freathy from the plague of avivas, and smeg heads invading the home of the Clueless out tribe of non believers , Speccy is a false god jocolor jocolor
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 7:42 pm

No one else was offered the unmitigated support of PCC. Taxpayers money at the end of the day saved Plymouth Argyle. Brent would not, could not have and didn't want to do the deal without the 2 million or so of public money. And of course promptly hiving off the car park into his (fat cat?) pension fund (some people usually campaign against that kind of thing)was an additional sweetener.

I'm not saying he's bad for the club, though his chosen hanger ons and the 'see no evil' attitude to the GasBoard fiasco do him no favours in my opinion, but a tender of sale based on the same terms surely would have brought a few interested parties out of the woodwork.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Dougie wrote:
No one else was offered the unmitigated support of PCC. Taxpayers money at the end of the day saved Plymouth Argyle. Brent would not, could not have and didn't want to do the deal without the 2 million or so of public money. And of course promptly hiving off the car park into his (fat cat?) pension fund (some people usually campaign against that kind of thing)was an additional sweetener.

I'm not saying he's bad for the club, though his chosen hanger ons and the 'see no evil' attitude to the GasBoard fiasco do him no favours in my opinion, but a tender of sale based on the same terms surely would have brought a few interested parties out of the woodwork.

But Brent Sahib had dangled the titles and silly hats before the eyes of the Windsor Boys and PAFC was destined to become a charity case, led by self promoting dimwits and local dough boys.
They told everyone how it would be, for they had looked him in the eyes and they weren't telling pork pies for a change pig

How embarrassingly village England's 13 th largest city club has become.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

We'll never know because Guilfoyle didn't market the club to potential investors. One of the first things he said when he arrived at Argyle was that the marketing had been done by Ridsdale so he didn't need to bother.

So much for the Administrator trying to secure the best deal for creditors. No need for Guilfoyle to undertake his legal obligations, as Ridsdale had already done the job for him. And we all know how widely Ridsdale promoted the club in his efforts to find someone who could pay more than the £1 he'd offered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Dougie wrote:

But Brent Sahib had dangled the titles and silly hats before the eyes of the Windsor Boys and PAFC was destined to become a charity case, led by self promoting dimwits and local dough boys.
They told everyone how it would be, for they had looked him in the eyes and they weren't telling pork pies for a change pig

How embarrassingly village England's 13 th largest city club has become.

Never mind the green tavereners are certainly enjoining the ride, playing at being superfans and besmirching those from outside their little clique.
Let them enjoy their trips to fleetwood, barnet and morecambe.
At the end of the day the tent dwellers get the club they deserve.....Aviva till the end
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Definition of cliques: "A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others."

Go and try to join in with their work. If they don't let you then they are a clique.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 4:19 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

We'll never know because Guilfoyle didn't market the club to potential investors. One of the first things he said when he arrived at Argyle was that the marketing had been done by Ridsdale so he didn't need to bother.

So much for the Administrator trying to secure the best deal for creditors. No need for Guilfoyle to undertake his legal obligations, as Ridsdale had already done the job for him. And we all know how widely Ridsdale promoted the club in his efforts to find someone who could pay more than the £1 he'd offered.

The Result of Ridsdales marketing strategy clearly worked as he found the old owners fronted by a bloke who would be bankrupt in less than a year. Cheers Pete. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 5:02 pm

knecht wrote:
Definition of cliques: "A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others."

Go and try to join in with their work. If they don't let you then they are a clique.

TBF If you applied that logic to other people it wouldn't really work, try having a go at flying an aeroplane, or joining with the police to beat up a drunken man, you would be given short shrift I can tell you. Mind you the rozzers are a bit cliquey I suppose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 6:48 pm

I wouldn't want the surgeon's 'clique' broken into either.

Hardly the same as the so-called Green Taverner's clique.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:05 am

Cliques and cabals are so 'Argyle' these days. Like kids let loose in a sweet shop. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am

Tringreen wrote:
Cliques and cabals are so 'Argyle' these days. Like kids let loose in a sweet shop. Rolling Eyes

Agreed - these new 'Argyle Ambassadors' are all about the silly hats and the titles.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:25 am

Andy_Symons wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Agreed - these new 'Argyle Ambassadors' are all about the silly hats and the titles.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em Andy !

Tringie........ Viceroy and Argyle Ambassador for Cyprus ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Football Club   Death of a Football Club - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Death of a Football Club
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2