Les Miserable
VillageGreen
sufferedsince 68
Richard Blight
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Whatever happened to MY Football Club Empty
PostSubject: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:24 pm

50 years of support and this is the lowest ebb . I have seen Chairmen and Directors come and go . I have seem more managers and players than you could name . But THIS ! THIS is the lowest ever
I stood on the Devonport terrace before I was a teenager . I saw them all come and go .
But what do I know ?
Unless I am a sycophant .
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Very, very basically, we overstretched ourselves trying to stay in the championship, got it wrong, ended up in deep shite and here we are now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Whilst being very ill-advised by sycophantic uber fans - which was swallowed lock, stock and barrel by a very gullible and non-football owner, i.e Mr Brent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:51 pm

greengenes wrote:
50 years of support and this is the lowest ebb . I have seen Chairmen and Directors come and go . I have seem more managers and players than you could name . But THIS ! THIS is the lowest ever
I stood on the Devonport terrace before I was a teenager . I saw them all come and go .
But what do I know ?

Ask tringy laugh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Or maybe we didnt go for it ?
Maybe greedy Directors bottled it ?
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 pm

greengenes wrote:
Or maybe we didnt go for it ?
Maybe greedy Directors bottled it ?
Stapledon and his merry men bottled it for me, if they had shown ambition when we got into the championship we could have got twenty thousand every week and who knows maybe the premiership, instead we got Brent Nool webb etc now we are doomed to be shit for years.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:05 pm

greengenes wrote:
But what do I know ?

I think we all want to know where the club has gone.

I stood in the Devonport End and then the Lyndhurst as a teen and then as an adult, i have seen a fair share of ups and downs - the first ever time Argyle were relegated to Division Four really hurt, but the club as it is now has to be the lowest in its history and it is painful to watch.

The blame for the current situation goes back to Stapleton and the others who RUINED the club as it was then and as it is now.

Brent seems not to care too much for Argyle it appears other than keeping it on life support, ready to flick the off switch if the balloon payment is somehow missed ( i think the club will meet that deadline though, albeit just).

I take hope that one day the nightmare will be over and Argyle will once again rise up the ranks and make all the fans proud. The only problem is when will that day be ?.

What Argyle need is a savvy investor who loves the game for what it is and who will love the club for what it is and what it stands for, not for property gains and enhancing the portfolio.

If Brent does put the club up for sale in 2016 or after, i believe there would be interested parties ready to step into the fold.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:12 pm

We've always been shit to varying degrees, but it's different now, previous versions of our shit club always felt like OUR shit club, this present version of shitness doesn't feel like OUR shit club, well not to me anyway, we're detached.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Stood with my uncle & grandad on the sleepers late sixties - lets face it, we've fcuked over from Daniels onward!! When I moved to North Dorset in the late 70's I tried a season watching Spurs but have still gravitated back to our mob - we have had some wnakers running us, could barely spit on the cutns!!
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
We've always been shit to varying degrees, but it's different now, previous versions of our shit club always felt like OUR shit club, this present version of shitness doesn't feel like OUR shit club, well not to me anyway, we're detached.

I agree.

Before that first ever relegation to Division Four, Argyle were a good Division Three side who flirted with the top end of the table on more than one occassion and had never gone down, a stat which at the time was something to crow about.

I will never forget that promotion season during the reign of Dave Smith, we had a decent team back then and decent crowds watching that team.

Then there was the Sturrock years (the first instalment) which was just as good, if not better.

We can bang on about the dark days from the past, but the club always just about pulled through.

Today you think to yourself, oh God, another season of struggle and shite to look forward to...

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Bandwagon wrote:
Stood with my uncle & grandad on the sleepers late sixties - lets face it, we've fcuked over from Daniels onward!! When I moved to North Dorset in the late 70's I tried a season watching Spurs but have still gravitated back to our mob - we have had some wnakers running us, could barely spit on the cutns!!

I remember there were a few of us standing in the Devonport End during the early 80s and chanting Daniels out. The Sunday Independent picked up on that......
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:39 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

I agree. Before that first ever relegation to Division Four, Argyle were a good Division Three side who flirted with the top end of the table on more than one occassion and had never gone down, a stat which at the time was something to crow about.

I will never forget that promotion season during the reign of Dave Smith, we had a decent team back then and decent crowds watching that team.

Then there was the Sturrock years (the first instalment) which was just as good, if not better.

Now a days you think to yourself, oh God, another season of struggle and shite again....

Yes never being in the fourth division was always something to cling on to when times were shit, now were struggling to stay in the fourth division! Still all the Dweebs assure us the squad's good enough to get promoted...lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Bandwagon wrote:

Remember the Waiters years Bandy? That was the time when everyone thought that the club was well and truly launched-Paul and Billy,a brilliant youth policy and a progressive,long term thinking manager.Should have known better i suppose,but the day Mariner was sold was the day that myself and many others knew that the directorship were just paying lip service to pushing the club on and we all know what happened next.Same to a certain extent with Smithy-he wrote an article in the Indy awhile back saying that if Bloom had given him some more money,we would have made it.And it wasn't the gates that were a problem-in each of the Waiters and Smith seasons,our crowds were the 5th best in the old second tier,with power to be doubled if real success was achieved.Even so,i never dreamed Argyle could sink so low as in the last 5 years-faint heartedness,greed,incompetence,self interest have all been factors which have gelled to make the Hodges years seem like Nirvana.Makes you blush to be a Pilgrim.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:00 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

I agree. Before that first ever relegation to Division Four, Argyle were a good Division Three side who flirted with the top end of the table on more than one occassion and had never gone down, a stat which at the time was something to crow about.

Now a days you think to yourself, oh God, another season of struggle and shite again....

Yes never being in the fourth division was always something to cling on to when times were shit, now were struggling to stay in the fourth division! Still all the Dweebs assure us the squad's good enough to get promoted...lol!

Weirdly parallel with the fortunes of Bristol Rovers......... affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:

Remember the Waiters years Bandy? That was the time when everyone thought that the club was well and truly launched-Paul and Billy,a brilliant youth policy and a progressive,long term thinking manager.Should have known better i suppose,but the day Mariner was sold was the day that myself and many others knew that the directorship were just paying lip service to pushing the club on and we all know what happened next.Same to a certain extent with Smithy-he wrote an article in the Indy awhile back saying that if Bloom had given him some more money,we would have made it.And it wasn't the gates that were a problem-in each of the Waiters and Smith seasons,our crowds were the 5th best in the old second tier,with power to be doubled if real success was achieved.Even so,i never dreamed Argyle could sink so low as in the last 5 years-faint heartedness,greed,incompetence,self interest have all been factors which have gelled to make the Hodges years seem like Nirvana.Makes you blush to be a Pilgrim.

Was there through it all mate - yes the Mariner/Rafferty era was a stir to us young lads, remember hitching all over the country, culminating ing a 24 hour hitch to Hereford, oh the years do fade!! My rant is more focused on the ineptness of our owners over this period - I for one feel totally let down!! Cheers!!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Les Miserable wrote:

strange, ive felt like that for a couple of years now.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 10:56 am

from a fan base point of view i think the arsenal cup game was the BIG turning point,
i know fans who had been to almost every away game that season who couldn't get tickets yet season ticket holders who NEVER go away could get them, hence why there was plenty of arsenal fans in our end.
as a result the 'exiles' support was not needed on this occasion a fair number have decided they don't 'need' to follow argyle anymore.

the super fan culture only exists on line i was stood on that terrace on saturday and couldnt see any so called superfans all i saw was a lot of disappointed faces.
super fan culture will only exist in real life if somehow the club becomes successful.

Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:05 am

VillageGreen wrote:
greengenes wrote:
But what do I know ?

I think we all want to know where the club has gone.

I stood in the Devonport End and then the Lyndhurst as a teen and then as an adult, i have seen a fair share of ups and downs - the first ever time Argyle were relegated to Division Four really hurt, but the club as it is now has to be the lowest in its history and it is painful to watch.

The blame for the current situation goes back to Stapleton and the others who RUINED the club as it was then and as it is now.

Brent seems not to care too much for Argyle it appears other than keeping it on life support, ready to flick the off switch if the balloon payment is somehow missed ( i think the club will meet that deadline though, albeit just).

I take hope that one day the nightmare will be over and Argyle will once again rise up the ranks and make all the fans proud. The only problem is when will that day be ?.

What Argyle need is a savvy investor who loves the game for what it is and who will love the club for what it is and what it stands for, not for property gains and enhancing the portfolio.

If Brent does put the club up for sale in 2016 or after, i believe there would be interested parties ready to step into the fold.

The Club is up for sale NOW. It is being hawked around with an asking price if £2.2 million - with no property asset and the debt still to be paid. I've heard of buying low and selling high but this is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 am

offer him 200k
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:10 am

Elias wrote:
offer him 200k

but settle for 75k
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:32 am

Portsmouth have just cleared all their debts. Amazing what can be done, ain't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 pm

The club is up for sale NOW? affraid
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
The club is up for sale NOW? affraid

90% of football clubs are up for sale, but our club is being actively marketed and has been for a number of months. At the price JB is asking it will be12th of never before a buyer is found.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Who's the pretty little thing in your avatar Damon?

<<<<<stops ones self from making complimentary but wholely inappropriate comment in case it's a family member>>>>> Razz
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 2:26 pm

Well done to Pompey then...Two years earlier than planned too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As Pompey start to climb the ladder, Argyle will still be stuck in a rut for awhile longer yet...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to MY Football Club   Whatever happened to MY Football Club Empty

Back to top Go down

Whatever happened to MY Football Club
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next