seadog
Chemical Ali
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 5:50 pm

I've put this separate to Andy's thread, so it doesn't get lost.

A full page sponsor in the new fanzine will cost £100. We have just over £20 in the paypal kitty. If anybody wants to contribute towards the advert for ATD please use the donate button on the homepage. Alternatively follow the link below-

Donate for the Advert

Somebody mentioned Rub of the Greens (Rotg) recently and I was thinking that if we raise more than the £100, perhaps we could put an advert in Rotg also?

If you've paid anything in, please post on this thread (amount optional).

Thanks for everyone's help (in anticipation).
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm in!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Email ROTG to ask if he'd want any payment for an advert.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:44 pm

I'll put something in the pot if you can hold on till next week
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Dougie wrote:
I'll put something in the pot if you can hold on till next week

Me too. Still paying for the car!
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 am

I can slip a few quid in at the end of the month
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 12:40 pm

And a few quid from me at the end of the month.
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 pm

I've designed a (visually at least) fairly simple ad which I've emailed to Chemical Ali. If someone can explain to me in simple terms how to post a word document onto here I'll ping it up for you all to criticise mercilessly.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Just donated £10
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Just a point, WHY is the trust charging for an 'advert' about a 'fans' forum in its (unneccessary in my view) fanzine ??????????
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 10:12 pm

GregCampbellFanClub wrote:
Just a point, WHY is the trust charging for an 'advert' about a 'fans' forum in its (unneccessary in my view) fanzine ??????????

- To help towards production costs

- Because one of the reasons behind the fanzine is to raise money for the Trust

- Because any publication that carries advertising charges for it.

A question for you in return. Why do you feel a fanzine is 'unneccessary'?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 12:25 am

There is already a well established fanzine running, the trust setting up there is own is in my view an unneccessary competitor to them.
My view is the trust has lost all impetous now & is really a token effort or rather a 'club pressure group' until the mmighty (sic)PASB is set up.

Another 'zine is to me like another supporters group being set up - there are already enough of those.

I think it is poor that the 'zine would charge for an advert for an argyle fans forum to advertise especially as it does the trust NO harm at all & is not in competion with it.

I know the editor of ROTG & i would be very very suprised indeed if any ATD ad was 'charged' for.

FinallyFanzines dont make a lot of money at the end of the day, the only way to make any money is to charge a fortune for a copy. It wont be a money spinner.
Youve also get to get people to flog it - at away grounds thats going to be tricky.....
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 6:40 am

I thought this was an 'independent' fanzine (set up by Andy and John) and if it could raise a few extra quid they could/would donate it to the trust?

Although reading Andy's opening introduction it seems like the Trust are endorsing it?

The Trust would be absolutely insane to align themselves with any fanzine!
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 7:57 am

Rickler wrote:

I thought this was an 'independent' fanzine (set up by Andy and John) and if it could raise a few extra quid they could/would donate it to the trust?

Correct, although the Trust Board have offered help with things like printing.

Although reading Andy's opening introduction it seems like the Trust are endorsing it?

I'm not sure 'endorsing it' is the correct phrase. Certainly the Trust Board have been supportive, and the fanzine will carry Trust news, and the Trust will help with distribution and sales. It will be independent of any organisation, and, editorially, there will be no bias at all - if the Trust does something that needs criticising/satirising, that will happen!

The Trust would be absolutely insane to align themselves with any fanzine!

The fanzine is being used as a way of disseminating Trust news to those people without internet access, as well as being, hopefully, an amusing and entertaining read on topics pertaining to Argyle, football and Plymouth as a city. The Trust as a body will have no editorial control, and won't be censoring or vetoing any content.
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:12 am

I think it's an excellent idea at a time when it's needed so badly to reach out to other non Internet interested fans.

I think the Trust would be daft not to endorse such a thing (even if it's not the correct phrase to use), the Trust should endorse and encourage anything that is for the benefit of the fans.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 11:06 am

GOB wrote:
I think it's an excellent idea at a time when it's needed so badly to reach out to other non Internet interested fans.

I think the Trust would be daft not to endorse such a thing (even if it's not the correct phrase to use), the Trust should endorse and encourage anything that is for the benefit of the fans.

I think the problem with that is that the best fanzines, by definition, are very satirical. Sailing very close to the wind in terms of properly taking the piss, is what all the best ones do. Upsetting sections of the club/fanbase, is also a given.

Like Rickler says, the Trust would be opening themselves up to a barrel load of criticism, with any sort of alignment or endorsement.

Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 11:17 am

Czarcasm wrote:
GOB wrote:

I think the problem with that is that the best fanzines, by definition, are very satirical. Sailing very close to the wind in terms of properly taking the piss, is what all the best ones do. Upsetting sections of the club/fanbase, is also a given.

Like Rickler says, the Trust would be opening themselves up to a barrel load of criticism, with any sort of alignment or endorsement.

Yes I agree Czarcasm, taking the pish and sailing close to the wind is what it's about generally, but I don't see the Trust has anything to be concerned about by endorsing such a thing. The only ones to be concerned would be those that have something to hide.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 12:00 pm

With Andy and John being founders and obviously editors, the links to ATD and the Trust will mean that the two are inextricably linked.

I doubt very much if some anti-Trust and ATD haters will pass up the opportunity to use that to fire bullets in the direction of the Trust and ATD, that's all.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Maybe the Trust should look at the content before deciding whether or not to endorse it fully, either way as an independent body I'd expect them to have some form of presence (advert) in this sort of thing (and RotG - though I'm not sure the last time I saw that on sale?).

I'll pen an article.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
With Andy and John being founders and obviously editors, the links to ATD and the Trust will mean that the two are inextricably linked.

I doubt very much if some anti-Trust and ATD haters will pass up the opportunity to use that to fire bullets in the direction of the Trust and ATD, that's all.

That's a very valid point!

At some point, and this has nothing to do with the fanzine or anything, but members of the Trust will have to take on the w@nkers that are only in it for their own spoils.
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Ricks does have a point though. So, if not the Trust obviously, who would have editorial control over a fanzine.
As for Rotg, this is something I see from their website:-
Quote :
Argyle fans are responding to the air of optimism around Home Park by snapping up the club's membership packs which include a season ticket for next season.

Buoyed by the club's escape from the drop into the Conference, fans are flocking to join new owener James Brent's desire to guide the club to promotion

I have to say I think the above precis says it all editorially. hardly the satirical calling to task expected from a 'fanzine", and almost mirroring the rest of the lamentable online fan thing since the whole Brent thing settled down into what it has become ... a love in for a very stingy new owner quite happy for fans to fork out for debts created by the privately owned club he now owns.

It's a free world, the world of green, or is supposed to be. If the 'siting tennant' ROTG isn't doing the business, someone else has every right to give it a go. The world has moved on ... the days of milk and honey, Blair, Brown, Gardner and Todd have ended, we have a new situation that demands a bit more input than the above effort from ROTG. Plebs are being told in no uncertain terms they should know their place.
I was about to donate something but cannot find the donate button on the Home page referred to by Ali.
However, I also have to say though, a £100 for an advert for ATD is a bit steep for a publication that isn't even off the ground with little indication as to what or who will be editing said 'zine.. and that has somewhat put me off... just look at how little this website has cost, and yet the site, and it's good name, must pay £100 for the privelege of advertising in an unknown publication ? ... you're having a laugh. Convince me otherwise Andy... I'm up for a well argued answer. I don't see £100 as a market rate at this moment in time.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 2:44 pm

£100 does seem steep - surely that would more than cover costs? How many copies are going to be produced? I'd say 500 at a maximum, if they are all sold then how many will take a look at the advert? How many are then likely to join up as a result? How much woud that then actually benefit the site? Would it be on a recurring theme, should the fanzine have several issues a season?

PS Andy I'm looking at perhaps doing an Argo crossword?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 3:00 pm

At a £100 a shot, Mock, ATD might as well print it's own fanzine. There's enough people on here with an eye for the ball and how to put it across ( pun intended ), and plenty of us that would be willing to distribute.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 3:43 pm

pay pal link not working for me

Sorry, an error occurred after you clicked the last link

If you were in the process of buying something, or sending money to family or friends, we recommend you check both your PayPal account and your email inbox for a transaction confirmation after 30 minutes.

If you came to this page from another website, you may want to return to that site (we advise that you don't just use your browser's back button) and restart your activity.

If you stumbled upon this page from the PayPal website, simply click the PayPal logo in the top left corner to return to the UK home page and restart your activity. You might have to log in again.

If you wish to sign up to PayPal, please click the PayPal logo and then click the “Sign up” button.
Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 3:56 pm

I also think that £100 is way to steep unless there's a direct association to the site, ATD, it will after all be the ATD users that are being asked to finance it initially?. Maybe Andy & John have something in mind?

Generally I would say the vast majority of the users of ATD are strong supporters of the Trust so considering that money raised by the fanzine would go to the Trust, then I don't have too many objections.

Penz raises a very valid question that in turn raises more questions regarding the direction of the site. I would be very happy to see ATD take on the role and finance a fanzine and if Andy and John are prepared to take it on on behalf of the site then even better. It'll be interesting to read the views of others?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fanzine Advert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanzine Advert   Fanzine Advert Empty

Back to top Go down

Fanzine Advert
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next