Mapperley, darling
Chemical Ali
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 am

Bad news for Pompey according to Radio5-live a few minutes ago,as the chap who was going to buy [or re-buy] them has pulled out,blaming the administration people for problems that have arisen.....

From Sky Sports News....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by VillageGreen on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
louisdepalma

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:12 am

So, to sum up. Those who went thought it was an okay performance that will lift the team for Saturday. Those that didn't thought it was crap.

Genius!
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:15 am

louisdepalma wrote:
So, to sum up. Those who went thought it was an okay performance that will lift the team for Saturday. Those that didn't thought it was crap.

Genius!

Damn those armchair fans,damn them i say. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:15 am

louisdepalma wrote:

Genius!

I think that's about right. Obviously there are a few on here who would find fault in a 5-0 win over Man City's first choice XI, but that will never change. A decent winning margin, three goalscorers who, for various reasons, will get a big lift from their goals, and the chance of a decent second round tie. Over all a decent night's work. Hopefully it'll carry over to saturday and give the League campaign a winning start.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 am

According to the BBC, Pompey's youth team had more of the ball than Argyle.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:18 am

Tringreen wrote:

I look forward to seeing Portsmouth's name being drawn out of the hat in an hour or so, then.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 am

Andy_Symons wrote:
louisdepalma wrote:

Genius!

I think that's about right. Obviously there are a few on here who would find fault in a 5-0 win over Man City's first choice XI, but that will never change. A decent winning margin, three goalscorers who, for various reasons, will get a big lift from their goals, and the chance of a decent second round tie. Over all a decent night's work. Hopefully it'll carry over to saturday and give the League campaign a winning start.

Quite. You can only beat the team that's put in front of you, and we did that, so credit where it's due.

In the context of the coming season it means not a jot. There will be much to be grumpy about over the next 9 months or so, so let's enjoy a win when it arrives. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 am

Andy_Symons wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

I look forward to seeing Portsmouth's name being drawn out of the hat in an hour or so, then.

The bigger picture Andy, the bigger picture............. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 am

Tringreen wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

The bigger picture Andy, the bigger picture............. Rolling Eyes

So it's not just you once again nit-picking at the smallest, most insignificant point in order to have a pop at a team and club that you no longer support? My bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 am

Andy it does indeed say on the BBC that Portsmouth had more possession than Argyle Tring was just stating a fact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 am

Grumpy wrote:
Andy it does indeed say on the BBC that Portsmouth had more possession than Argyle Tring was just stating a fact.

That may be true, but other facts he could have mentioned were - we won, and won comfortably. We're into the 2nd round, which brings with it extra unbudgeted revenue. We kept a clean sheet. Our three goals were significant for each of the three players that scored - either first goals for the club,in Gorman and PCH's cases, or a welcome confidence boost following a pre-season where Nick Chadwick has been pilloried from all angles.

But oh no, Larnaca's answer to Victor Meldrew picks out one statistic that shows Argyle in a poor light, posts it in isolation with no intention of doing anything other than portraying the team negatively.

Now I know he's one of the handful of people on this site who can't bring themselves to say anything good or positive about the club, and as such I probably shouldn't bite, but it gets wearing to hear people who don't go within a million miles of Home Park constantly carping and criticising.

Still, we've got 3 days til the next game, so he has a bit of time to get back to his whole raison d'etre of whinging about Webb, Newell and Pasoti.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:11 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Bad news for Pompey according to Radio5-live a few minutes ago,as the chap who was going to buy [or re-buy] them has pulled out,blaming the administration people for problems that have arisen.....

From Sky Sports News....

is it guilfoyle again?

my wife said, 'did they lose again?', because of the look on my face, 'no, im just stunned that we scored'

bring on the dancing horses..er..aldershot jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
Just saw a report on sky news this morning of us winning the Pompey game which was good, but the main news was that Pompey are facing liquidation again as their main backer has pulled out. If this is true could be curtains for the club, trying to get some news anybody know what the situation is?

Here you go:

I think what sums up the feeling about Portsmouth for me is the comment below that report, by someone who's fathers business is to receive 4p in every £10 owed to him, whilst the Pompey Trust are moaning about the manager having to reduce the wage bill this season from £4 million to £1.4 million. It happened with us and James Brent is happily making plenty of money out of "saving" the club, whilst local businesses are still recovering from the hit they were forced to take.

At the end of the day all businesses and debts should be treated the same. Why the feck football debts get priority over a local business who have had to lay staff off because the £500k pitch they laid in good faith isn't being paid for is totally beyond me. Why the Inland Revenue, a government agency has to accept a huge hit on unpaid taxes but football players and clubs are entitled to all of their money is a joke.

Pompey are in administration for the 3rd time in 13 years now and it will be mainly local businesses who have felt the backlash of this, and of course the Inland Revenue, and yet you try not paying your tax and see how far you get, and during that time they have continued playing in a shithole little stadium with a maximum capacity of little over 20k, yet are able to pay Harry Redknapp an absolute fortune to recruit players on higher wages than Chelsea or Liverpool would be able to pay them. Even when they knew they were in deep shit again last year, they still signed players up on ridiculous contracts knowing that they were heading for League 1.

I may not know the full details, who does, but Portsmouth Football Club have laughed in the face of businesses and the authorities over and over again, and yet they still want to be able to sign players like Izzy Mcleod on £4k a week now for fucks sake! We had to sign players like Robbie Fuckin Williams and keep them for the whole season. They start the season on minus 10 points but they think it's only fair that they should have a promotion winning squad to start the season with. A gaggle of expensive cars lining up at the training ground while they have debts virtually wiped out without an ounce of pity.

Portsmouth feck Off. Administration isn't a get out of jail free card. It's supposed to be a punishment, except Pompey fans think they should be allowed to do it all over again and that they have a god given right to be successful.

How about you creep quietly back into football with all these debts behind you, 3 lots of debts remember, and a period of humility and learning to live on a shoestring budget, but I doubt the Pompey fans would want that, they are a big club, were a Premier League club and FA Cup winners just a few short years ago. Yes you were, with over the hill donkeys like Kanu on stupid wages just to play a dozen games a season.

Why not set up your own fanfests, and get the buckets out at your ground instead of relying on other people foregoing what they are owed? How about asking the administrator to lower his demands for the great job he is doing finding a buyer for you, good luck with that by the way, and wherever you do end up, be it League 1, League 2 or a spell in the BSP, how about you learn your feckin lesson this time and don't throw your toys out of the pram if you have to climb the leagues with skill and hard work next time.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Grumpy wrote:
thats not a fact ,they didnt
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

tring stating what he has seen IS a fact
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 pm

tcm wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

Mike, The BBC website shows Portsmouth had 52% possession, so does Argyle Player, so I would take that over your scrumpy hazed counting your fingers and toes method.
Back to top Go down
louisdepalma

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Jock, the Pompey fans moaning about their wage bill being reduced to L2 level, and being realistic about their future?

Surely they're just a bunch of Tringreens then? Proper investment, Premiership NOW! Get spending, bring in more money.

Let's not let facts and realism get in the way of a good rant, eh?

Our former Directors might have shafted the businesses in Plymouth and all around ans the Portsmouth board appear to have done. It isn't the fans fault. If someone is prepared to spend other people's money on your club, you aren't seriously going to stop them are you?

If a company doesn't do their research properly and do background checks before lending money (giving credit if you prefer) then it's their own fault if they get stung.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Greenjock wrote:
tcm wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

Mike, The BBC website shows Portsmouth had 52% possession, so does Argyle Player, so I would take that over your scrumpy hazed counting your fingers and toes method.
ya got me there jock Very Happy it was a realy good game though,and i was soberish ya cheeky monky,oh and we won so that was nice,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Facts and realism? Why the feck should the manager be handed £4 million a year when local businesses might be going to the wall?

And if local businesses hadn't given the NEW Portsmouth any credit, there would've been an outcry in Portsmouth and I'm damned sure that the club would have let supporters know which local businesses didn't show faith and let them have credit, despite being fecked over twice before recently.

I think the difference is with how I feel about it is that by buying Argyle James Brent has basically been handed a licence to print money, and has already sold the ground itself and a nice piece of real estate around the ground, which he will be making a packet out of, and it doesn't seem like he has paid out an awful lot of hard cash to get all of this. All I want is for him to invest more than he is now, considering how well he is doing out of us.

I don't know the full facts around Fratton Park, but from what I can remember about the ground, it doesn't appear to have much real estate that could be sold off to reduce the debts, and not affect the ground.

I don't think James Brent should be phoning Michael Owen or tabling bids for Robin Van Persie, but I do think he has put in far less than he is taking out of the club, and we should be signing better players than Robbie Williams and Joe Lennox. He has gone on record several times stating we have a competetive budget, and he is confident that the budget should see us challenging for promotion. I can't see that myself, and especially not under Carl Fletcher.

Portsmouth fans seem to want to forget about all of the debts and still be able to assemble a decent squad for League 1, this is where I think they need to swallow some pride and be realistic about what lies ahead for the next season or two.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:57 pm

May I extend my most cordial congratulations on your victory over the mighty Pompey U18s and in your being the only, nearly in, Deb'n club left in the League Cup.

Suck it up GAWS, this may well be the high point of your season.

Just listening to your saviour, ol' Monkey Heed, taking the pith out of you on national radio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:00 pm

tcm wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
tcm wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

ya got me there jock Very Happy it was a realy good game though,and i was soberish ya cheeky monky,oh and we won so that was nice,

Glad you enjoyed it Mike. I enjoyed listening to us win and score 3 goals! No matter who we were playing it's become a habit lately of not expecting to win, even against the boys brigade side. It also shows what a load of old bollocks statistics can be, because I can only recall them having one real chance, which was in injury time, where we should've scored at least one or two more.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:00 pm

louisdepalma wrote:
Jock, the Pompey fans moaning about their wage bill being reduced to L2 level, and being realistic about their future?

Surely they're just a bunch of Tringreens then? Proper investment, Premiership NOW! Get spending, bring in more money.

Our former Directors might have shafted the businesses in Plymouth and all around ans the Portsmouth board appear to have done. It isn't the fans fault. If someone is prepared to spend other people's money on your club, you aren't seriously going to stop them are you?

If a company doesn't do their research properly and do background checks before lending money (giving credit if you prefer) then it's their own fault if they get stung.
I'm somewhere in between.

I feel obviously bad for the businesses we shafted, but think even with the remaining debts factored in we ought to have a budget which exceeds 'the likes of' Torquay and Aldershot.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:
May I extend my most cordial congratulations on your victory over the mighty Pompey U18s and in your being the only, nearly in, Deb'n club left in the League Cup.

Suck it up GAWS, this may well be the high point of your season.

Just listening to your saviour, ol' Monkey Heed, taking the pith out of you on national radio.
what is hand ball?is it any thing to do with cravats?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

That may be true, but other facts he could have mentioned were - we won, and won comfortably. We're into the 2nd round, which brings with it extra unbudgeted revenue. We kept a clean sheet. Our three goals were significant for each of the three players that scored - either first goals for the club,in Gorman and PCH's cases, or a welcome confidence boost following a pre-season where Nick Chadwick has been pilloried from all angles.

But oh no, Larnaca's answer to Victor Meldrew picks out one statistic that shows Argyle in a poor light, posts it in isolation with no intention of doing anything other than portraying the team negatively.

Now I know he's one of the handful of people on this site who can't bring themselves to say anything good or positive about the club, and as such I probably shouldn't bite, but it gets wearing to hear people who don't go within a million miles of Home Park constantly carping and criticising.

Still, we've got 3 days til the next game, so he has a bit of time to get back to his whole raison d'etre of whinging about Webb, Newell and Pasoti.

And no doubt you'll join me........................ as usual Wink

The sooner those cretins have no further influence at the club the better. I might consider attending again.

As things stand , the club is an embarrassment.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 pm

louisdepalma wrote:

thats not how it works with finance in football, its rather like tesco and the farmer..ie the buyer sets the terms and if you dont like those terms, sell elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle v Pompey match thread
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next