Freathy
Rickler
Mapperley, darling
Chemical Ali
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 pm

oddball wrote:
Nationally though bookmakers weren't taking bets on this match,or were giving very poor odds when they realised that Portsmouth were putting up a youth team .So Chadwick has scored against a bunch of youngsters.Saturday will be a much better game to judge the current Argyle team and Chadwick's goal scoring prowess not tonight's match.

Most bookmakers were taking bets on the match odds right up to kick off. even allowing for our poor recent history we were only 4/6 to win the game at 5pm today. Whilst the confirmation of the youth team has only broken over the past 24 hours the bookies have had these prices up for a week now. I see many people got adds against and whilst it is small bananas in comparison the bookies would have taken a hit tonight. Old Billy Hills is certainly sending £250 my way cheers Betfair had over half a million pounds matched on Argyle tonight.

15/8 was the price for Argyle to be winning at HT/FT. Nearly didn't come off but tough it did.
Back to top Go down
Pete1886

Pete1886

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 pm

I don't know what to make of that game, 3-0 against Pompey seems like a good result but if you consider the goals came in injury time of the first half and the last 5 mins you might consider the result a little flattering. At times Argyle looked pretty decent but then they should against a team of under 20s. Nobody really stood out and Argyle still resorted to pumping the long ball far too often. I ended up walking away from the ground feeling a little sorry for the Pompey kids, who tried their hearts out and admiration for the Pompey supporters who travelled in numbers and didn't need a big flag, hymn sheets or a committee to sing at the top of their lungs. Forza ultras take note, all you need is passion to spur your team on. Aldershot will
Hopefully provide some more answers to how the season will pan out but I'm not too optimistic.

Although a win is a win is a win and for the second time in 18 years we're in the hat for the 2nd round.

Just for Jock...

I understand that our fireman was injured in training this week and that's why he didn't play.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Quote :

RhysGriffiths9 mae anaf bach gyda fi. I have a minor injury.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Pete1886 wrote:
I don't know what to make of that game, 3-0 against Pompey seems like a good result but if you consider the goals came in injury time of the first half and the last 5 mins you might consider the result a little flattering. At times Argyle looked pretty decent but then they should against a team of under 20s. Nobody really stood out and Argyle still resorted to pumping the long ball far too often. I ended up walking away from the ground feeling a little sorry for the Pompey kids, who tried their hearts out and admiration for the Pompey supporters who travelled in numbers and didn't need a big flag, hymn sheets or a committee to sing at the top of their lungs. Forza ultras take note, all you need is passion to spur your team on. Aldershot will
Hopefully provide some more answers to how the season will pan out but I'm not too optimistic.

Although a win is a win is a win and for the second time in 18 years we're in the hat for the 2nd round.

Just for Jock...

I understand that our fireman was injured in training this week and that's why he didn't play.

Fact of the matter is the one and only reason that we are through to the second round is because we played their kids.Had it been anything else we would have been walloped.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:11 pm

3-0 win. Hmmmm. I'm not anticipating a glory season. I'm probably one of the most pessimistic Argyle fans that attends but you can't criticise the team for not beating a team they didn't play and for beating a team they did. That is lunacy.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 pm

You can on here because that is the norm.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:17 pm

People will take what they want to from the game. From a positive point of view we never looked to be in trouble except for right at the end when Jake Cole made a great save. We kept a clean sheet and ran out easy winners. From the negative viewpoint we didn't really dominate at all and benefited from scoring the crucial first goal on the stroke of half time and it was either a blinder or a fluke. I'm not entirely certain the Wolves lad meant to score. From then on it was all over as a contest and we got a couple of late goals to flatter the scoreline. I would like to say that somebody played well but nobody stood out, a few disappointed and Wotton's set pieces seem to have lost their sting. If that is as good as we get then we are going to struggle but a win is a win. The pasties were £2.50 and not bad at all even if they were a bit small. I didn't get a programme.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Pete1886

Pete1886

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Pete1886 wrote:

Just for Jock...

Fact of the matter is the one and only reason that we are through to the second round is because we played their kids.Had it been anything else we would have been walloped.

I thought that's what I said, although a few pints of expensive lager might of meant I didn't put it as eloquently as you did lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:35 pm

A win is a win and hopefully we will draw a PL side at home in the next round.
However I still dont see this present Argyle squad troubling the business end of the table in what really matters and Saturday will be a better gauge of things against a side that flirted with the play offs last season and who have an up and coming pro active manager.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Thought it wasn't great.

First half a few long shots then a fluke goal out the blue, probably edged it but wouldn't have grumbled at 0-0.

Second half Portsmouth probably looked the much likelier to score til about 10 minutes to go, corner comes over, Blanchard heads it across goal, couldnt see who got the final touch.

Then their defender has a howler and Chadwick puts away a volley (he missed a 1on1 earlier).

Bhasera looked good and we weren't particularly troubled. I'm not sure Chadwick will be able to bully anyone in the air in the league though like he did the Pompey kid. Defended ok but stretched in midfield. Lecointe was alright.

The Forza Verdict (see whatta did there?) - too much drum, not enough songs with words, outsung by the Pompey lot who one can only feel for.

In the end a comfy enough win, but today hasn't encouraged me to spend £20 on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for the reports.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Beeb report highlights what we were up against

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:55 pm

The fireworks were good. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:09 am

SufferedSince68 wrote:
The downside of our massacre of the pompey under fives, is that new twenty year contract the bacon bros persuaded brent to give to fletcherino.

The bacon bros Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:13 am

Greenskin wrote:
Strange sort of night really,never thought Argyle wouldn't win [although there were some rather dodgy moments at 1-0 in a period when Pompey were actually the better team in the second half] but far from convinced about our prospects this season.Very difficult to judge how good or bad it was,a far more accurate yardstick will be the game on Saturday.I was looking around our team in an idle moment tonight and was wondering where our goals are going to come from on a consistent basis this year,whether from our forwards or other areas of the team.The goalscoring record is not very impressive right throughout the team and midfield and defenders will need to contribute their fair share,which is rather worrying.Gorman did well in the first half,seemed like a very good strike,difficult to see exactly from the other end,he wasn't in the game much second half though.Liked the look of Paris when he came on for a brief period,had good touch and looked like a footballer,if you know what i mean.The true test will be on Saturday and in the 45 games afterwards to judge these players though,lets hope they can produce against better opposition.

Don't forget there will also be one more league cup game , one FA Cup game and one Mickey Mouse cup game. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:46 am

Charlie Wood wrote:

The down side was, one of the puppet was on the radio
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 7:00 am

Tgwu wrote:
Charlie Wood wrote:

The down side was, one of the puppet was on the radio

Brent really does seem to believe that these self promoting tw@ts are tribal leaders. Rolling Eyes

Either that, or he is using them as jamboys. They will be needed before long.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 7:28 am

Pete1886 wrote:

Just for Jock...

Thanks Pete, I was getting worried that Fletcher doesn't rate him now he's signed and didn't even warrant a place on the bench Shocked

With regards to the betting angle, I was in Corals yesterday afternoon and the price for Argyle then was 8-15, with Portsmouth at 5-1. To put that into context, that's the price with Paddy Power for Sheff Utd to beat Shrewsbury at Bramall Lane on Saturday! That's how much we were expected to win. The manager told me that we were the one team that had been punted lots all this week and yes the price had got shorter due to the amount of money being wagered on us.

It was far too skinny a price for me so I had a nice bet on Somerset against Hampshire which was priced up terribly in favour of Hampshire, good if you knew that Somerset are probably the best limited overs team in the country at the moment cheers

So anyway we were expected to win, and we did.

I do feel a bit sorry for the Pompey fans who turned out in good numbers considering they would have been aware of what team they had for the game, but after the last couple of seasons where we have had the odds stacked against us it was good to have something go in our favour for once.

It also means unbudgeted income for the 2nd round match, whether we agree with the staff having to wait so long to get their rightful wages, a decent draw could make quite a dent in the total outstanding. I hope I'm right in thinking that any money raised towards the back pay is being paid as an when it is received and not being banked by Mr Brent therefore earning him interest!

Anyway whoever we were up against doesn't matter any more, the record books will just show a home win with a clean sheet, and now it's on to Saturday and Aldershot, a team that couldn't score against us in two games last season, so we ought to be winning this, and are 6-5 favourites with PP, Aldershot are just over 2-1, and it is a money back special if there is a red card in the match. This is a half decent price now that we've had a confidence boosting win and I'll be putting a nice bet on us and doubling up with Bristol Rovers at home to Oxford at 5-4, a £20 double gives you £99 and that will do for me. I might chuck Cheltenham in as well, as they're home to Dagenham at 5-6 which seems way to big on last seasons form and I don't recall Dagenham busting the bank with new signings.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 am

SSN reporting that Balu Chainrai has now pulled out of buying Portsmouth. Very Happy

It will take a club of their size to be liquidated before the penny drops, so I'm pleased.

Having just seen Gormans goal again, I'm even more convinced it was a cross.

Hey ho.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 am

Gorman looked terrible imho, and there's no way he was shooting from that angle.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 am

The record books will show a 3 nil win against higher league opposition and you can only ever beat the team played against you. Your team will go into your first league gain with added enthusiasm, so for you last night it was (unfortunately) a job well done.

We looked good enough last night for me to remain optimistic for the season ahead. A goalkeeping howler and a pen saw us off, as well as a better team
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 am

The Red Star wrote:
The record books will show a 3 nil win against higher league opposition and you can only ever beat the team played against you. Your team will go into your first league gain with added enthusiasm, so for you last night it was (unfortunately) a job well done.

We looked good enough last night for me to remain optimistic for the season ahead. A goalkeeping howler and a pen saw us off, as well as a better team

Struggling to beat a team of kids does not fill me with optimism.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 am

Just saw a report on sky news this morning of us winning the Pompey game which was good, but the main news was that Pompey are facing liquidation again as their main backer has pulled out. If this is true could be curtains for the club, trying to get some news anybody know what the situation is?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am

akagreengull wrote:
Just saw a report on sky news this morning of us winning the Pompey game which was good, but the main news was that Pompey are facing liquidation again as their main backer has pulled out. If this is true could be curtains for the club, trying to get some news anybody know what the situation is?

Here you go:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 am

Just checked things out re Pompey, does look grave at the moment, now that Chainrai has pulled out the only option is for the supporters trust bid to be accepted by the administrator. They really are on the edge, but sadly most football pundits have been predicting an established club will go out of business for some time. Looks like the Rangers scenario will be repeated a few more times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle v Pompey match thread
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next