Rickler
Mapperley, darling
Chemical Ali
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:45 pm

hippo wrote:
How are we playing?

Most have said we've dominated. Ssn report their keeper pulling off several decent saves. jocolor
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Just doubled checked the score, thought there was a fault on the system but apparently we are actually winning a game. I see the fireman is conspicuous by his absence.
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for info, is text commentary on the argo site? Can't find it.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:53 pm

hippo wrote:
Thanks for info, is text commentary on the argo site? Can't find it.

Yes... It is on Argyle player.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:48 pm

So 3-0 it is then. Bit of a hiding to nothing I guess. Score line as should have been expected against a youth team. The Paris Cowan Hall scored so his twitter should be interesting. Some bonkers scores elsewhere tonight Derby 5 - Scunthorpe 5
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Good that we won of course, imagine the Pompey fans are gutted at the mess they are in right now, but then we have been there ourselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:51 pm

We battered the boys brigade into submission cheers

A wins a win whoever you're plaing against and could do wonders for confidence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:51 pm

So much for the local pundits then. Not only have Argyle actually won a match in this competition but Chadwick, yes that's right Chadwick has scored. I see Cowan-Hall made an impact. On and booked in 3 minutes, scores in 6 minutes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
So much for the local pundits then. Not only have Argyle actually won a match in this competition but Chadwick, yes that's right Chadwick has scored. I see Cowan-Hall made an impact. On and booked in 3 minutes, scores in 6 minutes.

In fairness I thought Pompey would have a much stronger side, but I still went for a win in ET.

PCH was booked for not retreating 10 yards and did nothing other than the goal. Still it gets him off the mark for us and he could be the type of player to gain confidence on the pitch, as Bogsider pointed out I doubt he needs any more self-confidence if you've read his twitter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Nationally though bookmakers weren't taking bets on this match,or were giving very poor odds when they realised that Portsmouth were putting up a youth team .So Chadwick has scored against a bunch of youngsters.Saturday will be a much better game to judge the current Argyle team and Chadwick's goal scoring prowess not tonight's match.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Only Devon team left in the cup cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:

Stick him on the mural!
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:

And what was the opposition? Youth players and even an ex-player FFS! When we play a proper team on Saturday we will be hammered out of sight.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Time to start a campaign to get a post box painted in Argyles honour 1st round wins like this don't come around that often.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm

The downside of our massacre of the pompey under fives, is that new twenty year contract the bacon bros persuaded brent to give to fletcherino.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Despite the now excuse of "we were playing boys" Freathy you still predicted Argyle to get mullered though didn't you. You may well be right on Saturday but that didn't make you right tonight.

Argyle were on a hiding to nothing weren't they. Playing a bunch of youngsters they were expected to beat. Funny though, when we were playing a bunch of youngsters in our side last term everyone still hammered them for losing. Oh the irony of it all.
Back to top Go down
LondonGreen

LondonGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:18 pm

I would have rather been at the Derby vs Scunthorpe match tbh...
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Despite the now excuse of "we were playing boys" Freathy you still predicted Argyle to get mullered though didn't you. You may well be right on Saturday but that didn't make you right tonight.

Well we'd all best enjoy this massive win over Portsmouth school boys then hadn't we. FFS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

And why would you not enjoy a win of your local side then Freathy? FFS! No comment on the Argyle youngsters of last season then? Were you not one who was telling the world how shit they all were yet here you are telling the world that we only beat youngsters. All a team can do is beat who is in front of them. 3 - 0 is a decent enough scoreline even if it isn't setting any fires. Go on give them a bit of praise you know you want to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:32 pm

To be fair 3-0 flattered us slightly, we started brightly enough and could have been 2-0 up after only 10 mins,in the second half we were largely second best to Pompeys youth who i thought played very well indeed, i don't know how Fletchers tactics/instructions are supposed to work against weaker opponents because but we always tend to stagnate and drop deeper once the game goes on (this was the same last season), Cowan Hall killed the game off and Chadwicks goal was a complete gift, 10 minutes before that he missed a sitter (once again).
Griffiths deffo needs to start above Chadwick on Saturday preferably alongside Lecointe or potentially Feeney, expect a much tougher game on Saturday,Aldershot pushed a strong Wolves team to penalties the other night.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Good turn out by Portsmouth. They pretty much filled two blocks.

Missed first 10 minutes due to only 3 turnstiles being open for the whole of the Lyndhurst - pathetic penny-pinching.

Pompey created nowt really first half, hardly surprising really with the team they had out. Gormans goal looked more like a cross than a shot from where we were - will do his confidence good though.

2nd half Pompey were the better side for much of the half. Then Paris bundled one over the line, and Chadders volleyed in a (to be fair) great finish. He'd already missed glaringly in a one-on-one with the keeper earlier, mind.

We're in the hat, which is good.

But it's difficult to gauge anything on that performance, because this was literally men against kids.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Strange sort of night really,never thought Argyle wouldn't win [although there were some rather dodgy moments at 1-0 in a period when Pompey were actually the better team in the second half] but far from convinced about our prospects this season.Very difficult to judge how good or bad it was,a far more accurate yardstick will be the game on Saturday.I was looking around our team in an idle moment tonight and was wondering where our goals are going to come from on a consistent basis this year,whether from our forwards or other areas of the team.The goalscoring record is not very impressive right throughout the team and midfield and defenders will need to contribute their fair share,which is rather worrying.Gorman did well in the first half,seemed like a very good strike,difficult to see exactly from the other end,he wasn't in the game much second half though.Liked the look of Paris when he came on for a brief period,had good touch and looked like a footballer,if you know what i mean.The true test will be on Saturday and in the 45 games afterwards to judge these players though,lets hope they can produce against better opposition.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
And why would you not enjoy a win of your local side then Freathy? FFS! No comment on the Argyle youngsters of last season then? Were you not one who was telling the world how shit they all were yet here you are telling the world that we only beat youngsters. All a team can do is beat who is in front of them. 3 - 0 is a decent enough scoreline even if it isn't setting any fires. Go on give them a bit of praise you know you want to.

There were 9 youth team players/appectices in that Pompey team tonight and yes I still thought they were going to win because I think our 'team' is THAT bad. And I still think it's THAT bad. And unlike us after administration Pompey will not remain uber shit like we have under brent. As soon as administration is lifted they will immediately sign players capable of getting them out of L1 (upwards that is). Pompey fans will soon get over their 'hammering' tonight, especially when they see their team promoted to the Championship next May.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Does anyone know if Griffiths was injured? I was looking forward to him battering the inexperienced Pompey defence. Now I expect Chadwick will retain his place on Saturday even if Griffiths is fit.

Chadwick was poor except for the goal, and he won't get to play against a worse defence all season. Lecointe sounded much more lively are likely to score, but I suppose the strikers job is to score so he can argue his case and say he did his job.

What worrys me again is that even against inexperienced opposition we struggled to break them down until the last 10 minutes, and for a long time in the second half Portsmouth's kids had more possession than us.

Gorman scored a cracker on his debut, but other than the goal I don't remember hearing that he had skinned his full-back, nor did Gurrieri, and again they won't have an easier game than this all season.

Still it's good to be celebrating a win for a change and who knows who we will draw in the next round? I know the top sides are not involved until the 3rd round but we could get a Premier League side for a nice payday or another home draw to put us in the hat for the 3rd round then get Man Utd away Very Happy

I'm reserving judgement for a while because the first few games are often not representative of the rest of the season, but it wouldn't half help to not be playing catch up so a nice home win on Saturday would be a bonus.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:53 pm

I was there and we played well [it went a bit flat for us during 2nd half until we made it 2-0] plenty of chances,some goal mouth scrambles and 3 goals.. A nice boost for Saturday's game Vs Aldershot.

Pompey fans were in good voice,they put the Devonport End to shame.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Pompey match thread   Argyle v Pompey match thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle v Pompey match thread
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next