Greenskin
Mock Cuncher
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm

I'd be utterly embarrassed if Argyle were relegated to the Conference. I think that'd be it for me. I wouldn't even want to come on here to be honest. I think I could just about handle the igmony of an AFC Argyle starting again in the local leagues rising from the ashes of PAFC, as at least it would involved a tiny speck of dignity, but being relegated out of the football league - it is just not something I could handle. I'd pack in football.

When the Football League as we know it was formed in the 1920s there was a team based at the foot of the Westcountry who wore green and have been there ever since. Although we have flirted with the bottom half of the bottom tier, we've never actually been in a desperate relegation scrap from the basement to my knowledge at least.

The thing is, it is looking really quite likely at the moment. We can't field a team and we're, what, two or three weeks away from the daunting trip to Shrewsbury. 'Daunting' is a word that could only be used to describe a trip to Shrewsbury when you are properly in the shit. We are properly in the shit. It was knee-deep not so long ago but now it is beginning to fill our nostrils, we're choking on Ridsdale's sweetcorn ffs.

What is everyone's plans for relegation?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm lookling forward to the boxing day game at Bideford in 2015.

It would be a total disgrace were Argyle cease to be a football league club.I always remember watching dear old Ronnie Mauge talking about the Wembley win in 1996 and passionately stating that "Plymouth Argyle should never be in the fourth division,never".Wonder what he thinks of it now? I guess life would go on,maybe Brighton set us an example-they survived in the football league by the crust on their foreskins a while back and see where they are now.Very depressing,though,the whole Argyle scene.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Our current squad is by far the worst in L2. We have NO strikers!!! We cannot sign players and won't be able to until at least the season is well underway when it is too late. Even then there is no chance of any actual investment in the playing side from the spiv and the property developer and his 'consortium'. And as for 'plan B'- don't make me laugh!

It is very likely we are heading for a third successive relegation and that too would do it for me. Argyle would be nothing more to me than a slight passing interest e.g. i'd check the results and table from time to time if I could be arsed.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 pm

You might as well have a bet on Argyle getting relegated, I haven't ever done any negative betting on Argyle, yet, but you'd have made a packet in the last 3 years. Not sure if they'd pay out on liquidation.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:18 pm

With Argyle likely to pack up, suppose here and PASOTI will pack up. Anybody got any knitting patterns?
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:20 pm

S'pose I can go back to Trains, Meccano and other boyhood pleasures.
Back to top Go down

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
I'd be utterly embarrassed if Argyle were relegated to the Conference. I think that'd be it for me. I wouldn't even want to come on here to be honest. I think I could just about handle the igmony of an AFC Argyle starting again in the local leagues rising from the ashes of PAFC, as at least it would involved a tiny speck of dignity, but being relegated out of the football league - it is just not something I could handle. I'd pack in football.

When the Football League as we know it was formed in the 1920s there was a team based at the foot of the Westcountry who wore green and have been there ever since. Although we have flirted with the bottom half of the bottom tier, we've never actually been in a desperate relegation scrap from the basement to my knowledge at least.

The thing is, it is looking really quite likely at the moment. We can't field a team and we're, what, two or three weeks away from the daunting trip to Shrewsbury. 'Daunting' is a word that could only be used to describe a trip to Shrewsbury when you are properly in the shit. We are properly in the shit. It was knee-deep not so long ago but now it is beginning to fill our nostrils, we're choking on Ridsdale's sweetcorn ffs.

Relegation would be great Mock Cruncher. Better still you remained there for a couple of seasons. I am not having a go I just know what a godsend relegation to the conference was for City. We were dead and burried. Shafted by our owners, staring extinction clear in the eyes. We pulled together, realised nobody else gave a shit and got on with starting again. The worst thing I think for Argyle would be if you don't get relegated and you spy a new dawn. It is too early, you probably have to sink further still then you will realise that this is your Club and only you can save it. The community doesn't care, but you do and like minded fans do too. You will be able to say when other teams sing "Where were you when you shit"..."I WAS THERE AND I STAYED THERE. As a City fan from age 5, WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SHIT, however once every 40 years we have a glimmer of sunshine. We are now benefitting from 5 seasons in the Conference. 5 seasons where we were able to change our football style, try out young managers and win more than we lost...It works mate. City play football like they have never played before, yes we were lucky to get Man Utd in the Cup. that galvanised the entire City and we held the Plastic Team to a draw.

City fans know you will come back and probably fear your relegation to the Conference more than your survival in League 2. You go down and then the final hangers on will bugger off. The IJN's of this world be long gone and Argyle will have a real shot.

Relegation to the Conference will allow you to rebuild properly, suvival this season in League 2 will probably be your death nail.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Bleddy hell Red, you're probably right about everything............... except Newell . He'd have to be carried out squealing and grunting. We can but hope.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Perhaps he'll fack orf to his spiritual home, Exeweb?

Last edited by seadog on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell Exeweb FFS!)
Back to top Go down

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 am

seadog wrote:
Perhaps he'll fack orf to his spiritual home, Exeweb?

There are a couple of Exewebbers who are easily bullied and intimidated by Newell but many have woken up to his lies and threats. Never has a person been so hated on there. He continually sends PMs to other posters but these are widely distributed so we all know what a sad and lonely git he is. He is probably the biggest joke on the internet at present
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:34 am

The Red Star wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

Relegation would be great Mock Cruncher. Better still you remained there for a couple of seasons. I am not having a go I just know what a godsend relegation to the conference was for City. We were dead and burried. Shafted by our owners, staring extinction clear in the eyes. We pulled together, realised nobody else gave a shit and got on with starting again. The worst thing I think for Argyle would be if you don't get relegated and you spy a new dawn. It is too early, you probably have to sink further still then you will realise that this is your Club and only you can save it. The community doesn't care, but you do and like minded fans do too. You will be able to say when other teams sing "Where were you when you shit"..."I WAS THERE AND I STAYED THERE. As a City fan from age 5, WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SHIT, however once every 40 years we have a glimmer of sunshine. We are now benefitting from 5 seasons in the Conference. 5 seasons where we were able to change our football style, try out young managers and win more than we lost...It works mate. City play football like they have never played before, yes we were lucky to get Man Utd in the Cup. that galvanised the entire City and we held the Plastic Team to a draw.

City fans know you will come back and probably fear your relegation to the Conference more than your survival in League 2. You go down and then the final hangers on will bugger off. The IJN's of this world be long gone and Argyle will have a real shot.

Relegation to the Conference will allow you to rebuild properly, suvival this season in League 2 will probably be your death nail.

It would seem to be a bit subjective for you to say that relegation would be great for Argyle or any other club.It gave Exeter a breathing space for sure and, assisted by the Manyoo cup tie money,you've certainly come back as a far stronger and more successful club,all due credit to you.But then,there also would be the example of former stalwart league clubs such as York,Mansfield,Wrexham and Luton,who have been struggling for a time [years in some cases] to regain their places in the football league.Not to mention Chester and Halifax,for whom relegation was the first step on the road to extinction.I mentioned Brighton in a recent post as a possible example for Argyle to follow-they went through hell and high water,to stay in the FL and you can't argue that it was an incorrect move judging by their progress since.In my book,its not quite as simple as relegation automatically being of benefit to a club,although frankly a club of Argyle's size and standing should piss the conference.But this is Argyle we're talking about.....
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 am

Grimsby are traditionally the same size as Argyle and even spent a few seasons in the old first division, but they are still in the conference.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:26 pm

The thing is, given our respective sizes League Two *is* our Conference. This should be where we hit rock bottom and rebuild to the top. I'm embarrassed to be in this league again, I'd be mortified if we were relegated. We're not some small town team, we're representing the second biggest city in the South-West and much of two counties combined. I'm not trying to be patronising, but Swansea and Brighton are much better examples of how I want us to react as a club than Exeter. As for Newell, he will probably relish the further we go down as it means he becomes a bigger and bigger fish.

9 Years is what it took AFC Wimbledon to get into the Football League. If the dollar&yen men can't sort it out to the point where we do have yet further to fall, then that is my preferred route back into the Football League.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Greenskin wrote:
The Red Star wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

It would seem to be a bit subjective for you to say that relegation would be great for Argyle or any other club.It gave Exeter a breathing space for sure and, assisted by the Manyoo cup tie money,you've certainly come back as a far stronger and more successful club,all due credit to you.But then,there also would be the example of former stalwart league clubs such as York,Mansfield,Wrexham and Luton,who have been struggling for a time [years in some cases] to regain their places in the football league.Not to mention Chester and Halifax,for whom relegation was the first step on the road to extinction.I mentioned Brighton in a recent post as a possible example for Argyle to follow-they went through hell and high water,to stay in the FL and you can't argue that it was an incorrect move judging by their progress since.In my book,its not quite as simple as relegation automatically being of benefit to a club,although frankly a club of Argyle's size and standing should piss the conference.But this is Argyle we're talking about.....

Greenskin, you're not that big, you're a small backwater club, Brighton & Swansea, much much bigger, been there done it, at a level you're still dreaming of. You mention Halifax & Chester, and that is how you may end up, if you are relegated next season, and can you see 2 teams worse off than you in league 2 at present? I certainly can't, all 23 have a squad of at least 22, most of the players at all 23 clubs have been there a while too, so very little gelling required etc...

York, Mansfield, Wrexham, Luton, Grimsby, Cambridge, Darlington are all struggling, and that is how you would end up, just as we did, it's the hardest league to get out of FACT.

But look at Doncaster, this may be the club you can emulate? perhaps one day again, you will return to the 2nd tier? But at this moment in time, I can't see it happening.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The thing is, given our respective sizes League Two *is* our Conference. This should be where we hit rock bottom and rebuild to the top. I'm embarrassed to be in this league again, I'd be mortified if we were relegated. We're not some small town team, we're representing the second biggest city in the South-West and much of two counties combined. I'm not trying to be patronising, but Swansea and Brighton are much better examples of how I want us to react as a club than Exeter. As for Newell, he will probably relish the further we go down as it means he becomes a bigger and bigger fish.

9 Years is what it took AFC Wimbledon to get into the Football League. If the dollar&yen men can't sort it out to the point where we do have yet further to fall, then that is my preferred route back into the Football League.

Another one with ideas of grandeure. You're not that big a club, had you been Bradford City, I may agree slightly more, but even they're not too big for the conference if that's where they end up. Tell the likes of Luton Town, Cambridge Utd, Grimsby Town, Oxford United, & Shrewsbury Town, all clubs of either a similar size or bigger than you, that they should not be in the Conference, they won't agree with you now! They are where they are for a reason, they were one of the 2 worst clubs the year they got relegated to the conference, as simple as that. And as I said previously, Swansea & Brighton are much much bigger than you.

Last edited by Sandford_Grecian on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : looooooooooong winded version)
Back to top Go down

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey, Sandy, I was right there with you, your points were valid enough, I was eating from your dish Very Happy

...............until ..... "simples" .... you blew it.

Sorry, I can't take anyone seriously who uses that word.

Doncaster are indeed a good example, and I remember well their money man who got involved as they were dropping out the league. It was obvious once the poison had been properly expunged they would return ... and return they did, well above their normal station... it just shows waht can be done in a football world full of jouneymen players, managers and owners, when you have a healthy momentum, philosophy, spirit and a little dosh.

Any club with the gates the size Argyle have been able to historically command should easily climb out of the lower leagues into the Championship from time to time. Exeter will always struggle at that level, with or without a trust ownership. One league down is their position... and maybe lower when Tisdale leaves ... and I wasn't impressed at all with their footballing abilities at Home park without their star man who's name escapes me .. the one that's moved on. As the most boring present song in football goes ... " How shit must you be .. da da da "
Carlisle were a team that hit rock bottom and I expected the same from them but nothing has materialised so far, but they can command a reasonable following with success.

Red Star is right, we have to drop far enough to get rid of the baggage ... Stapleton and Wrathall haven't grasped that yet and they're going to spend a bit more money finding it out. the trouble is now the balloon has gone up, they're more interested in clawing back their money rather than the interests of the club. that could spell anihilation in a aeason or two.

Last edited by penzancepirate on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
The Red Star wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

Greenskin, you're not that big, you're a small backwater club, Brighton & Swansea, much much bigger, been there done it, at a level you're still dreaming of. You mention Halifax & Chester, and that is how you may end up, if you are relegated next season, and can you see 2 teams worse off than you in league 2 at present? I certainly can't, all 23 have a squad of at least 22, most of the players at all 23 clubs have been there a while too, so very little gelling required etc...

York, Mansfield, Wrexham, Luton, Grimsby, Cambridge, Darlington are all struggling, and that is how you would end up, just as we did, it's the hardest league to get out of FACT.

But look at Doncaster, this may be the club you can emulate? perhaps one day again, you will return to the 2nd tier? But at this moment in time, I can't see it happening.

If you get your facts right,or at least in some sort of balance,you'll find that Argyle have spent more time in the upper two levels of the football league than either Swansea or Brighton,so that hardly makes them "much bigger",does it? And also for your information,Argyle have always attracted bigger gates than either of those clubs,which was reflected in the fact that Home park was a bigger stadium than either the Vetch or the Goldstone ground. I'll give you a little more education about those two clubs for your benefit as well,having had the advantage of being on the planet when it was achieved,which judging by your evdent ignorance,was not the case with you.Brighton reached the top flight and stayed there for four seasons,with an FA cup final thrown in,solely through the bankrolling of the club by a property developer called Mike Bamber.When his cash ran out,they were up shit creek without a paddle and eventually lost their ground and almost their league status in the ensuing years.Swansea were almost exactly the same ,except that their spell at the top lasted for two seasons.They spent huge amounts of money on a string of ex Liverpool players signed by Toshack and paid the price by nearly going out of existence two years later and have only really recovered in the past five years.Hardly amounts to the "much bigger" clubs to which you refer,does it? Sure,they've been in the top flight for a couple of seasons,but they paid a heavy penalty for it-put it this way,had Argyle been financed to the same level,then the catchment area and facilities would have almost certainly meant that Argyle would have coped better than either of them with the demands of the top flight.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

Another one with ideas of grandeure. You're not that big a club, had you been Bradford City, I may agree slightly more, but even they're not too big for the conference if that's where they end up. Tell the likes of Luton Town, Cambridge Utd, Grimsby Town, Oxford United, & Shrewsbury Town, all clubs of either a similar size or bigger than you, that they should not be in the Conference, they won't agree with you now! They are where they are for a reason, they were one of the 2 worst clubs the year they got relegated to the conference, as simple as that. And as I said previously, Swansea & Brighton are much much bigger than you.

FFS,now you really are entering the realms of fantasy.I'll give you a chance to explain yourself,only fair on a democratic site.One question;

Where is your evidence,presented that in any way you care to,to support your claim that any of the clubs mentioned are bigger than Argyle,or even as big?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

FFS,now you really are entering the realms of fantasy.I'll give you a chance to explain yourself,only fair on a democratic site.One question;

Where is your evidence,presented that in any way you care to,to support your claim that any of the clubs mentioned are bigger than Argyle,or even as big?

Greenskin is totally correct................. and deep down, our friend from up the road knows it.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 pm

TBH I'm not sure many would disagree that Brighton is a bigger club than Argyle. They are certainly perceived by many to be bigger. I'd also say Luton Town is a bigger club than Argyle given their past top flight and cup winning credentials. However, Swansea, certainly before this latest promotion and despite their previous top flight success, many would have placed pretty much on a par with Argyle. Oxford Utd enjoyed a season in the top flight during the Maxwell years, but bigger than Argyle? Not many would agree with that. I'd certainly place Cambridge, Shrewsbury and Grimsby below Argyle in terms of size and potential.

But really size doesn't come into it. Any club that has been in the position we've been in more than once i.e. within spitting distance of the top flight and then blown it due to crass decisions by the greedy, outclassed, parochial bumpkins 'running' the club then the fans of that club have every right to feel very cheated.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
The Red Star wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

If you get your facts right,or at least in some sort of balance,you'll find that Argyle have spent more time in the upper two levels of the football league than either Swansea or Brighton,so that hardly makes them "much bigger",does it? And also for your information,Argyle have always attracted bigger gates than either of those clubs,which was reflected in the fact that Home park was a bigger stadium than either the Vetch or the Goldstone ground. I'll give you a little more education about those two clubs for your benefit as well,having had the advantage of being on the planet when it was achieved,which judging by your evdent ignorance,was not the case with you.Brighton reached the top flight and stayed there for four seasons,with an FA cup final thrown in,solely through the bankrolling of the club by a property developer called Mike Bamber.When his cash ran out,they were up shit creek without a paddle and eventually lost their ground and almost their league status in the ensuing years.Swansea were almost exactly the same ,except that their spell at the top lasted for two seasons.They spent huge amounts of money on a string of ex Liverpool players signed by Toshack and paid the price by nearly going out of existence two years later and have only really recovered in the past five years.Hardly amounts to the "much bigger" clubs to which you refer,does it? Sure,they've been in the top flight for a couple of seasons,but they paid a heavy penalty for it-put it this way,had Argyle been financed to the same level,then the catchment area and facilities would have almost certainly meant that Argyle would have coped better than either of them with the demands of the top flight.

I'm talking now! Swansea Premiership, Brighton Championship, and wouldn't bet against them being Premiership within 3 seasons. Bigger grounds now, bigger support now! And those two bankrupted whilst being in the glory of the top flight, you bankrupted yourselves, struggling to maintain 2nd tier level, so yes bigger!! Had you spent what you could have afforded, you would have been relegated at least 2 seasons earlier. As for coped better in the top flight, I doubt that very much, by now you would be out of business, even Riddler would have walked on by. As I said, you're just a small backwater club, and getting smaller by the day!! And until you & your fellow supporters grasp this fact, and all start pulling in the same direction, that phase will continue!! if you're lucky, You'll just be the next Darlington, if not, you will be the next Halifax & Chester!!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
The Red Star wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

I'm talking now! Swansea Premiership, Brighton Championship, and wouldn't bet against them being Premiership within 3 seasons. Bigger grounds now, bigger support now! And those two bankrupted whilst being in the glory of the top flight, you bankrupted yourselves, struggling to maintain 2nd tier level, so yes bigger!! Had you spent what you could have afforded, you would have been relegated at least 2 seasons earlier. As for coped better in the top flight, I doubt that very much, by now you would be out of business, even Riddler would have walked on by. As I said, you're just a small backwater club, and getting smaller by the day!! And until you & your fellow supporters grasp this fact, and all start pulling in the same direction, that phase will continue!! if you're lucky, You'll just be the next Darlington, if not, you will be the next Halifax & Chester!!

Absurd argument.Its like saying that Exeter or Doncaster are a bigger club than Sheffield Wednesday because they finished higher in the league last season.And i do wish you'd back up your argument with facts,rather than trite,ill researched bullshit.The reason why Argyle didn't push on in the CCC [especially in comparison to Cardiff,Swansea,Bristol City,Blackpool etc] was because investment was inadequate when crowds were high [16400 in the first season in the CCC,1400 per match bigger than Swansea's],not because of what came later.And it was the lack of judgement in what the money was spent on,rather than the expenditure itself which started and hastened our decline.If you look back through posts on here and the old site,thread upon thread was posted examining the reasons why Brighton and Swansea were going to do better than us,so we weren't stupid in seeing what may come next,especially those of us who've seen the same cycle on about 4 previous occasions .Look mate,nobody on this site is under any illusion that Argyle are not in deep shit and could easily be relegated to the conference and beyond unless the situation is sorted out in a hurry.Its just that spending the vast majority of your existence in the second or third tier of English football would indicate that the fifth tier is not really the natural home for the club.No delusions of grandeur,if you look at the last sentence of my first post,it stated "but this is Argyle we're talking about".Enough said,really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Relegation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relegation   Relegation Empty

Back to top Go down

Relegation
Page 1 of 1