HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Third rate team for a third rate country

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

Third rate team for a third rate country Empty
PostSubject: Third rate team for a third rate country   Third rate team for a third rate country EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Freathy's normal hyperbole after last night's performance, but only just. I'd contend it's a second rate team for a second rate country. I'm reluctant to comment on the state of the nation as I wonder if I'm just an old fart following the generational trait of looking back through rose tinted glasses, but when all the international statistical measurements see us slipping down the league tables in whatever field you want to look at then maybe there is a case to answer and a deeper look required at where this country is going.

My view is that we are actually living through a time of paradigm change with the world order shifting to those countries whose time has now come to top the league

I didn't comment on the Jubilee thread for the same reasons and I do try to look at these pomp and circumstance events with a cynical eye but that eye normally ends with a tear in it as I'm just about old enough to remember the end of empire and the recent history I learnt at school taught me about the time when we were top of the league (and whatever our principles, don't we honestly all love that feeling). I watched the boat thing thinking "feck me, for every canoe that went past Queen Victoria had a battleship".

When I was a young lad first at sea in 1970 I managed, whilst pissed, to crash a scooter into a monsoon storm drain in Mombasa and came to to see an extremely large gentleman dressed in an immaculate white police uniform standing over me. Although Kenya was independent by this time they still had the full British uniform (in white) including the bobbys helmet. He was quite cross and the first thing he asked for was my driving licence and when I pulled out my old red provisional licence with the crown on the front, I kid you not, he pulled me to my feet and saluted. He dusted me down, put me back on the scooter and advised I should proceed the right way down the one way street. I'm not saying what's right or wrong but use that as an example of the respect this country was held in around the world.

Watching Jeremy Kyle out of the corner of my eye (honest) this morning prompted me to write this diatribe. This country is definitely not the one I grew up in and despite all the "progress" that's been made I don't think it's the better for it.

I don't think there's any "answers" we are what we are and we have what we have. I have lost all faith in any political process or party over the years to the extent of voting for Mebyon Kernow at the last election (well it was that or Lee Jameson Very Happy ). I guess my attitude has become totally selfish and my priority is to look after me and mine to the best of my ability.

I've seen England win the World Cup so feck the rest of you. lol!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Third rate team for a third rate country   Third rate team for a third rate country EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Jeremy Kyle isn't exactly representative of the entire country, Charlie.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Third rate team for a third rate country   Third rate team for a third rate country EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Charlie, we are of a simiilar age (Im a year older!) so recognise so much of what you write.

However, I think it can be put down to a combination of JK and MK, enough to make anyone nostalgic and give up hope:)
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Third rate team for a third rate country   Third rate team for a third rate country EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 2:48 pm

When you look at the history of the world over the past few hundred years, our relatively small nation is having to come to terms with no longer being the major colonial/industrial power and settle into a new identity. We have not been faced with the obvious need to start over as with Germany and Japan, so have never really looked closely at who we are and what we need to do to be better.
Nevertheless, having lived abroad for a while and now 'looking in', there is still a lot to be proud of, even if mistakes are made along the way. We should be proud of our nation's leading role in trying to provide a fair and caring society for people of all backgrounds. OK we may have gone too far in some areas, been too fair, been used etc. but basically, if all the peoples of the world are to live in harmony, we are doing our best to lead the way and that is why so many people around the world want to come to the UK and not just those seeking a free ride.
We still have the jingoistic nonsense at international football matches but that is the domain of the dull, unthinking minority.
We try to be all things to all people and as a financial centre, are also up for making a fast buck anywhere, as with Sky/Prem League etc. We have somewhat sold our soul as a footballing nation and are now reaping the rewards, whilst those feeding off the game become very rich.
There has been no deep thinking or desire to improve our national game, even a moron like Howard Wilkinson was in charge for a while.
As with German football, cricket in England has recently shown that it is possible to learn lessons and create systems that constantly evolve to keep us at the forefront of the game. The old English, 'enjoy the moment' after the 2005 Ashes victory was followed by failure because we took our eyes off the bigger picture. I believe English cricket is set for decades of success if the planning and personnel involved stay alert, hungry and in control.
It will be more difficult now in football. The PL and all those who feed off it won't want to change.
Even little old Argyle has to change if it is ever to fulfill its potential as a club. I may be contradicting myself but this 'sustainable model' is all well and good if the rest of football is doing the same. They're not, so all we have to look forward to is endless mediocrity, silly hats and praaaaper fans ruling the roost , while the money men continue to use the blind loyalty of football fans and laugh all the way to the offshore account.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Third rate team for a third rate country   Third rate team for a third rate country EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 3:07 pm

It is possible that in a few years the money men will take their money and invest it in leagues elsewhere in the world (or even in their own countries' leagues). If that happens, unless we have a strong infrastructure and young people hungry to play the game, the league in this country and our national team will sink even further.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Third rate team for a third rate country   Third rate team for a third rate country Empty

Back to top Go down

Third rate team for a third rate country
Page 1 of 1