akagreengull
seadog
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Penz wrote:
Tony, I know quite a few people that go out a hunting and a shooting and to suggest that any of them abide by the law is in itself comedy genius. I've got many stories as I'm sure you have.
Of course, my point was one less hunter equals one more prey alive tonight, if that's ok, given the gamekeeper that I assume resides in you.

As for all ruling elites, they all get their heads taken off in the end, just like the rest of us... one of the reasons I embrace mortality ... the most egalitarian rule on the planet.
Let's not turn my day's commentary into a left/right same old same old .... this is jubilee 2012 .... a time for celebration ... give it a rest Very Happy

Im sure I can agree with you on mortality.

Death is nothing to be afraid of, rather the opposite, although thats no invitation for it to come too early.
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 pm

tonycholwell wrote:
Penz wrote:
Tony, I know quite a few people that go out a hunting and a shooting and to suggest that any of them abide by the law is in itself comedy genius. I've got many stories as I'm sure you have.
Of course, my point was one less hunter equals one more prey alive tonight, if that's ok, given the gamekeeper that I assume resides in you.

As for all ruling elites, they all get their heads taken off in the end, just like the rest of us... one of the reasons I embrace mortality ... the most egalitarian rule on the planet.
Let's not turn my day's commentary into a left/right same old same old .... this is jubilee 2012 .... a time for celebration ... give it a rest Very Happy

Im sure I can agree with you on mortality.

Death is nothing to be afraid of, rather the opposite, although thats no invitation for it to come too early.

So, on behalf of all those birds roosting and animals bunkering down tonight looking forward to a brand new day tomorrow, let's both give a prayer of thanksgiving that a very high profile hunter, who only hunts out of joy rather than need, is off the radar tonight.
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Nice to read that Penz is alive and well as is TC.I was becoming afraid that ATD was going into early hibernation over this bank holiday period with the lack of posters posting anything.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:34 pm

The Red Arrows cancelled due to the shite weather here in Soton, the cloud base has lifted a bit so I may see a few of the fireworks later.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 3:59 am

oddball wrote:
Nice to read that Penz is alive and well as is TC.I was becoming afraid that ATD was going into early hibernation over this bank holiday period with the lack of posters posting anything.

I reckon that some of us are taking a spot of R&R following the events of the last few months.

Pre season checklists are for the bears. Wink Sleep
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 6:59 am

The fire works were a slight disappointment, into the clock, muffled bang, muted glow, a few sparks drop out then onto the next.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 am

At least you had fireworks! Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 10:06 am

Penz wrote:
GOB wrote:
say what you like about them, there isn't a country in the world that can put on a show like we can.

That's just not true Gob.
Don't you remember the Argentinian World Cup, the Soviet May day celebrations, the Chinese mass nonsenses, or seen the Rio carnivals, the 12 yearly Kumbh mela ? the Hajj ? look at the Nazi torch light stuff ... it bewitched a generation. In fact, I've sen far more spectacle at the Bridgwater carnivals or the big rock festivals. At best, Windsor Plc are mediocre at it. What the establishment are good at, apart from whispering in peoples' ears, is, just like the North Korean 'island', is stuffing our insular media industry so full of sycophants telling our people we're wonderful and the world thinks we're wonderful.
The most succesful part of the establishment propaganda machine this week is telling us how the same old same old was a rip roaring success. I'm sure the latest Syrian London educated despot and m,ass murderer is taking notes as we speak.
Anyway, whatever happened to the RAF dropping tons of cement into the sky to give London a clear couple of days a la Moscow 1970 ? they couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo .. perhaps they wer flying too low ..... again .... clown ..... amateurs... don't you just love these ruling elites losing their grip.

They had a captive capacity audience paying through the nose, and just like Argyle, they blew it... the planes didn't turn up and one of the main gang members went down with a tummy upset. Is he part of the new UK PLC retirement policy ....ie. there is no retirement until you drop ? I don't like to see anybody feeling under the weather, but it doesn't half remind me of those kremlin pictures full of old geezas popping their clogs. On the plus side, there will be a lot of relieved grouse and pheasant out there tonight in their woodland alms housing enjoying another evening meal with their family.

I have never seen those events live that you mention Penz so I can't really make comparisons, but the general view from the media suggest that us Brits can at least equal the best in the world and better it and let’s face it, one look at the worldwide TV viewing figures suggest that good old Britannia does the business pretty well, it was over two billion for the last Royal Wedding suggesting that us Brits are pretty popular when it comes to this sort of show and a hint that us Brits put on a better show then the events that you mention Penz.

I go to music festivals every year and I have been to a few big ones that have included the air shows and firework displays etc. and whilst the music is better the event as such is nothing like as spine tingling as what London can produce, often several times in a year.

What better city to hold such an event as well. Without going into the politics of it, The City of London was purposely designed to give the impression of wealth, power and might, much of it during the days of the British Empire and it still retains that perception today, not many great cities of the world can boast similar and that’s why London captures such a massive tourist figure. Not bad for a city that cannot attract visitors for its beaches, sun sea and stag weekends.

As for the pomp, fan-bloody-tastic and not a missile, tank or a topless teenager in sight (sadly!) and nobody was forced to attend!

Sometimes it’s good to be a Brit and I’m proud to be one, it’s not a crime despite the self-hate that we sometimes like to put ourselves through.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:28 am

Did you know that the figure of Britannia was based on one of Charles II's mistresses?

I am sure we put on a good show. What gets me is all those people who claim we are 'the best in the world' at all sorts of things.

Don't believe all that you see in the media.

Wink
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:33 am

Oh dear, we didn't land on the moon after all then, or are we being selective in our beliefs? clown
Back to top Go down
swampy

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 am

oddball wrote:
Yes Oddball, good to have them both active on here. I think this site should be well pleased with the activity on here at this stage of the season and it's good that every topic is not being turned into a Pasoti/Newell bashing as we evolve. Pasoti and IJN in particular have inadvertently done a lot to publicise us which has worked out well in the long run, it has opened many people's eyes to all sorts of things both good and bad on both sites. I could be wrong but I have found the activity on Pasoti very quiet of late and there seems to be much less of the ATD bashing, mob backing up of fellow Avivas, less of the plebs blindly following what those who consider themselves important say etc. I hope we don't go back to the constant in fighting, there are bound to be odd spats but this site is becoming big enough to stand on it's own two feet now and advertising boards and player sponsorships are another step in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 12:38 pm

swampy wrote:
oddball wrote:
Yes Oddball, good to have them both active on here. I think this site should be well pleased with the activity on here at this stage of the season and it's good that every topic is not being turned into a Pasoti/Newell bashing as we evolve. Pasoti and IJN in particular have inadvertently done a lot to publicise us which has worked out well in the long run, it has opened many people's eyes to all sorts of things both good and bad on both sites. I could be wrong but I have found the activity on Pasoti very quiet of late and there seems to be much less of the ATD bashing, mob backing up of fellow Avivas, less of the plebs blindly following what those who consider themselves important say etc. I hope we don't go back to the constant in fighting, there are bound to be odd spats but this site is becoming big enough to stand on it's own two feet now and advertising boards and player sponsorships are another step in the right direction.

and meanwhile back in the real world of the jubilee... I heard reports that Robbie Williams was brilliant, at that gig outside mam's gaff, admittedly the reports were from the media, the same media that wouldn't know brilliant if it bit them on their collective arses, so BBC, Channel 4, ITV, & Sky, Robbie Williams never has been nor ever will be Brilliant, as it is of very limited musical ability/talent!! Of course the musically braindead & dumbed down high percentage of this Nation were probably in awe too, however the braindead & dumbed down, have not had the chance to see brilliance in it's true form either, as you the media keep Brilliance & the braindead & dumbed down apart... Just how would you explain to them, why you have provided them with the same shit for the last 35 years?

For Brilliance please do check out a live performance form Afro Celt Sound System, plenty to choose from on you tube Basketball Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
swampy

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:06 pm

Brilliance is in the eye of the beholder or at least their ear I guess. RW might not be the world's greatest vocalist, songwriter or musician but to many millions he is an outstanding performer and entertainer and gives them untold pleasure, as I well know from my wife and most of her friends.
Never heard of Afro Celt Sound System but quite enjoyed the few clips I just listened to, reminded me of a good night down the local Irish bar, a bit of the Corrs with Rolf Harris on his didgerydoo in the background on one track Lovers light or something? Will have to listen to a bit more I think.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm

The music industry, is the only industry, where the cream, does not rise to the top Crying or Very sad

More Brilliance, go check out Thea Gilmore.... again plenty on you tube to choose from Wink
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:42 pm

GOB wrote:
Oh dear, we didn't land on the moon after all then, or are we being selective in our beliefs? clown

Sorry, I didn't make the irony in my comment more clear.

I just think that the self-referential character of our home-grown media is not the best judge. And I'm sure various media around the world were impressed also. That doesn't mean we do it better than anyone else.

But, of course we didn't land on the moon. You only have to examine the shadows in the pictures, I believe. And there are shots clearly showing the double-decker bus being driven by Elvis up there that have been air-brushed out of the official shots that give the lie to the for-public-consumption line.
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Sandford_Grecian wrote:
The music industry, is the only industry, where the cream, does not rise to the top Crying or Very sad

More Brilliance, go check out Thea Gilmore.... again plenty on you tube to choose from Wink

Listened to The Imagined Village in concert on radio the other night - some impressive stuff. And am just beginning to listen to Regina Spektor.

I'm sure the Queen would have been impressed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
swampy

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Sounds more like gynacologist Knecht. Very impressed with Thea Gilmore Sandford, wow what a voice.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm

swampy wrote:
Sounds more like gynacologist Knecht. Very impressed with Thea Gilmore Sandford, wow what a voice.

my work here is done lol!

Everybody who hears Thea is impressed... Thea headlined Sandford festival... I put dozens of her CD's into the village post office prior to the event, sold about 2, the Monday after the festival I had dozens of people knocking on my door asking if I had any more of Thea's CD's... as Thea had sold out at the festival, and the remaining Cd's in the post office had all gone in the 1st hour of business Laughing

OK next up it's.... Eric Church, again plenty to choose from on You tube... particular favourite of mine though.... Jack Daniels Wink
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 pm

knecht wrote:
Sandford_Grecian wrote:

Listened to The Imagined Village in concert on radio the other night - some impressive stuff. And am just beginning to listen to Regina Spektor.

I'm sure the Queen would have been impressed. Very Happy

Marvellous spectacle live are The Imagined Village... one of the headliners at Shrewsbury Folk Festival last year... glad they got rid of billy Bragg from the line up, saw him the year before there... one trick pony, would have wlaked out, had I not wanted to lose my place at the front, for Afro Celt Sound System Wink
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 pm

and today's brilliance, one of my favourite groups of all time, a back catalogue of 22 albums, and not one track I can say, well actually I don't like that track, probably the only artist I can say that about... Again plenty to choose from on you tube... today in the name of brilliance I give you....

OYSTERBAND

I once saw Oysterband at Bridgnorth festival... well twice actually, they did a gig on the main stage on the Saturday evening, and then played Bridgnorth High Street, Sunday lunch time, also as part of the festival, 2 completely different sets, not one song the same, yet had you missed one set you would not have left the festival disappointed, that's the calibre of their back catalogue Laughing
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
And meanwhile, hundreds of countries across the world lit beacons in honour of the Queen.

Even our commonwealth chums in Pakistan, fresh from a weeks worth of unmanned drone attacks from our new allies, the USA.

They lit a beacon on Foreland Point (above Lynmouth on Exmoor) on Monday evening, me and the missus had just parked up in the car park there and were about to have a last beer before bed when about 40 4x4's drove past then loads of kid's ran up Countisbury Hill and lit a giant bonfire! We had quite a late night as we thought it would be rude to not stay and get drunk with the farmers.
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:25 pm

GOB wrote:
let’s face it, one look at the worldwide TV viewing figures suggest that good old Britannia does the business pretty well, it was over two billion for the last Royal Wedding suggesting that us Brits are pretty popular when it comes to this sort of show and a hint that us Brits put on a better show then the events that you mention Penz.

I guess it is the emboldened bit above that tickled my fancy. 2 billion ??!! Do you really think one in three global humans sat glued to a tv set watching that wedding ? If you do, you need help. lol!
Apparently the UK viewing figures for the damp squid this weekend were 10 million here .... in the UK Royalist heartland, that's 15% of the population. A couple of silly soap operas on a holiday can command a better figure than that.

So where are these global viewing figures you refer to ? in time honoured tradition, do you have a link ? lol!
I caught a rather interesting BBC R4 item on the 'real' international media reaction to the "jubilee" from across the globe. I laughed when the Russian response was quoted as 'pompous nonsense'.... that seemed more likely to me... and there were some great one liners from foreign correspondents too numerous to mention.
And I have to say many of the reactions dug out from dog bites man stories were very scanty on the actual 'business' of the day, and couldn't wait to jump in on the English Summer and it's wet bowler hats... that's all they were interested in .... it was all very magazine and umbrella .... just reinforcing the stereotypes, as this country does with it's own coverage of other events across the globe. Maybe Tringy is right more than we know. The whole world is too village. Trouble is, where do you go to get away from it ? certainly not London if Lee's recent splutterings and the Royal nonsenses are anything to go by.

I would bet the Live Aid thing did more for UK Plc cred at the time than any of the Royal circuses have ever done.
Back to top Go down

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 pm

10 million you say? Morecombe and Wise used to get more than that.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Penz wrote:
GOB wrote:
let’s face it, one look at the worldwide TV viewing figures suggest that good old Britannia does the business pretty well, it was over two billion for the last Royal Wedding suggesting that us Brits are pretty popular when it comes to this sort of show and a hint that us Brits put on a better show then the events that you mention Penz.

I guess it is the emboldened bit above that tickled my fancy. 2 billion ??!! Do you really think one in three global humans sat glued to a tv set watching that wedding ? If you do, you need help. lol!
Apparently the UK viewing figures for the damp squid this weekend were 10 million here .... in the UK Royalist heartland, that's 15% of the population. A couple of silly soap operas on a holiday can command a better figure than that.

So where are these global viewing figures you refer to ? in time honoured tradition, do you have a link ? lol!
I caught a rather interesting BBC R4 item on the 'real' international media reaction to the "jubilee" from across the globe. I laughed when the Russian response was quoted as 'pompous nonsense'.... that seemed more likely to me... and there were some great one liners from foreign correspondents too numerous to mention.
And I have to say many of the reactions dug out from dog bites man stories were very scanty on the actual 'business' of the day, and couldn't wait to jump in on the English Summer and it's wet bowler hats... that's all they were interested in .... it was all very magazine and umbrella .... just reinforcing the stereotypes, as this country does with it's own coverage of other events across the globe. Maybe Tringy is right more than we know. The whole world is too village. Trouble is, where do you go to get away from it ? certainly not London if Lee's recent splutterings and the Royal nonsenses are anything to go by.

I would bet the Live Aid thing did more for UK Plc cred at the time than any of the Royal circuses have ever done.

I saw that Russian bit too and they certainly looked askance at the event. I occasionally dip into the Russian news channel and watch their news when there is nothing much else to watch. If you tune in at 8.30 on the right evening there is a half hour programme called The Keiser Report which looks at the topical economic global issues. I cannot recommend this programme highly enough. The presenter, Max Keiser, is as close to deranged as I can imagine an economist to be. There's more than a hint of lunacy about what he says and how he chooses to say it but he just might be right. I reckon it must be right up Penz's street. Look him up on Youtube. There is definitely no comparable programme or presenter on mainstream British TV. Buy silver!
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:14 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Penz wrote:
GOB wrote:

I saw that Russian bit too and they certainly looked askance at the event. I occasionally dip into the Russian news channel and watch their news when there is nothing much else to watch. If you tune in at 8.30 on the right evening there is a half hour programme called The Keiser Report which looks at the topical economic global issues. I cannot recommend this programme highly enough. The presenter, Max Keiser, is as close to deranged as I can imagine an economist to be. There's more than a hint of lunacy about what he says and how he chooses to say it but he just might be right. I reckon it must be right up Penz's street. Look him up on Youtube. There is definitely no comparable programme or presenter on mainstream British TV. Buy silver!

The Keiser Report is well worth watching, it gives an alternative look at things but you still need the seek the middle ground between the BBC and Russia Today.

Penz, you'll find the info out there in Net land somewhere, I think I read it on the BBC News website although no matter where it is you'll question it because it's something that you don't want to believe. I had a similar debate with my brother a while back, he didn't accept the figures that the BBC were giving out regarding immigration, yet he accepted the BBC figures for the death rate rate of civilians in Iraq. It's a bit like accepting the BBC figures for Live Aid but dismissing the BBC figures for the Royal Wedding?

Media coverage throughout the world is now so politically swayed it's difficult to know what media can be trusted to give a balanced view, we can either choose to believe it or not, but it'll be hard to debate anything if we choose to only accept the things that suit our political agendas and chuck out the things we don't like. One thing I do know though, is that the Mall looked pretty packed to me unless the BBC drafted in a few hundred thousand to watch their event?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUBILEE   JUBILEE - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

JUBILEE
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next