Freathy
Dougie
Elias
LondonGreen
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Who kept us up ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Mr President wrote:
Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Easiest question of the season... what kept you up, were 4 or 5 very very poor sides, simple as that, you like us have been in relegation form all season.

Since November we have been in mid-table form actually. You are, however correct that you have been in relegation form ALL season.

Mid table form since November? We won one game in November and were dumped out of the F.A.Cup by a club several leagues below us, one game in December, one game in January and again one game in February. SHMOKIN HOT FORM
Back to top Go down
Mr President

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Mr President wrote:
Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Easiest question of the season... what kept you up, were 4 or 5 very very poor sides, simple as that, you like us have been in relegation form all season.

Since November we have been in mid-table form actually. You are, however correct that you have been in relegation form ALL season.

Mid table form since November? We won one game in November and were dumped out of the F.A.Cup by a club several leagues below us, one game in December, one game in January and again one game in February. SHMOKIN HOT FORM

If the table started on November 1st, this is how it would look. Dealing in facts, Greenjock.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-two/2011-2012/custom-table
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:15 pm

The only thing that will keep us up is 2 teams that are worse than us, simple as that.

Although I still think it was the flag that did it.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:15 pm

14th in Div 2. Look how far we've come.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Tringreen wrote:
14th in Div 2. Look how far we've come.

From being 4th in the Championship with the strong chance of making the play-offs to celebrating barely surviving being relegated from the entire football league in just a few years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:25 pm

Mr President wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Mr President wrote:
Sandford_Grecian wrote:

If the table started on November 1st, this is how it would look. Dealing in facts, Greenjock.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-two/2011-2012/custom-table

And that same table shows you why we stayed up. Because 2 teams were absolutely shite in that time, dealing in facts that is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:31 pm

By Jove I've got it. Wasn't it around November that the big flag arrived?

Can't wait until Saturday to see Swindon's then, as they're so far ahead of anyone else in League 2, theirs must be humungous!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:36 pm

That wasn't the point though was it? The question was what kept us up? Once again some people do not miss an opportunity to simply post bad news and negativity.

Back on topic.....someone, either Fletcher or a mixture of Carl, the experienced signings and Blanchard made us hard to beat. Looking at the table from 1st November we've lost 6 times and have the 4th best defence in the league. That is a huge improvement and nowhere near relegation form.

The trick for James Brent and his team is to work out quickly what caused this and whether the present incumbents are capable of improving the 15th best attack over that time to achieve 70+ points next season. My hunch is that Carl Fletcher is not that man but I wouldn't be devestated if he was offered the job for another 12 months.

Interestingly Carl Fletcher has won 3 more points that Aidy Boothroyd since the latter was appointed. All hail Northampton and their wisdom Wink
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Nick Wall wrote:
That wasn't the point though was it? The question was what kept us up? Once again some people do not miss an opportunity to simply post bad news and negativity.

Back on topic.....someone, either Fletcher or a mixture of Carl, the experienced signings and Blanchard made us hard to beat. Looking at the table from 1st November we've lost 6 times and have the 4th best defence in the league. That is a huge improvement and nowhere near relegation form.

The trick for James Brent and his team is to work out quickly what caused this and whether the present incumbents are capable of improving the 15th best attack over that time to achieve 70+ points next season. My hunch is that Carl Fletcher is not that man but I wouldn't be devestated if he was offered the job for another 12 months.

Interestingly Carl Fletcher has won 3 more points that Aidy Boothroyd since the latter was appointed. All hail Northampton and their wisdom Wink

Northampton is nowhere near as big a club as Argle and were in absolute freefall.
Hand on heart.

Who would you prefer in the manager's chair at Home Park from July 1st 2012. Fletcher or Boothroyd, or others ?

Seriously, the bloke sounds dumb. My guess is that the likes of Purse n Wotton are running the team.
Back to top Go down
Mr President

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Nick Wall wrote:

Northampton is nowhere near as big a club as Argle and were in absolute freefall.
Hand on heart.

Who would you prefer in the manager's chair at Home Park from July 1st 2012. Fletcher or Boothroyd, or others ?

Seriously, the bloke sounds dumb. My guess is that the likes of Purse n Wotton are running the team.

A laughable argument.

Yes Argyle are a far bigger Club than Northampton but we had just exited Administration, not paid anyone for 10 months, had a team of kids, had 1 point from 9 games, no on or off the field structure, had no real pre-season and no hope.

Northampton had back Johnson in the market but it hadn't worked out. To compare the two situations is laughable.

To anyone taking a balanced view of matters (which clearly you are not because it doesn't suit your constantly negative, anti style) Carl Fletcher has done a far better job than Boothroyd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Nick Wall wrote:

Of course all those stats are correct Nick and Chris. It's convenient to absolve Carl Fletcher of any blame for the terrible performances under Peter Reid, and Sturrock and Mariner come to that, and it's easy to forget that Carl Fletcher has had the luxury of his squad being paid, and not almost entirely made up of YTS lads. Or the fact that he has had the benefit of not one, but two "mentors" in six months, and we have still been absolutely awful in the majority of the games since November.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the fantastic mid-table form as often as both of you, but I do listen to the commentary and read match reports. We have been unbelievably lucky to pick up so many points lately, and have benefitted from results going our way for quite a while now.

I have held up my hands and admitted that I was wrong, because I didn't think Fletcher in charge would see us escape a 3rd successive relegation, 2 of which he was our playing captain, but that still doesn't mean he is solely responsible for keeping us up.

I guess he will be kept on now, maybe on a short term contract, but what happens if we are 14th come Christmas? Not losing many but not winning many either? Will that be enough or will he need to be replaced? Then we have the same scenario with the new manager. Do we then judge Argyle's season on whichever portion of it suits your point of view?

I just hope whatever decision is made, is made quickly and whoever is in charge come August has been handed a few new players, and has the backroom staff they want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Nick Wall wrote:

Hand on heart.

A laughable argument.

Yes Argyle are a far bigger Club than Northampton but we had just exited Administration, not paid anyone for 10 months, had a team of kids, had 1 point from 9 games, no on or off the field structure, had no real pre-season and no hope.

Northampton had back Johnson in the market but it hadn't worked out. To compare the two situations is laughable.

To anyone taking a balanced view of matters (which clearly you are not because it doesn't suit your constantly negative, anti style) Carl Fletcher has done a far better job than Boothroyd.

I'd certainly agree that Fletcher has done a fantastic job of keeping us up against all the odds.

However I think us staying up is partly to do with teams below us being worse than us.
Back to top Go down
Mr President

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Yea Man wrote:
Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Nick Wall wrote:

Hand on heart.

A laughable argument.

I'd certainly agree that Fletcher has done a fantastic job of keeping us up against all the odds.

However I think us staying up is partly to do with teams below us being worse than us.

Agreed but you could say that Swindon are going up because the other 23 teams are rubbish. At some point you have to give credit to Carl Fletcher and the team who have dug us out of a massive hole.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:15 pm

I think the biggest factor is the defence. At the start of the season we had a mixture of teenagers at CB. The arrival of Purse and moreso Blanchard has helped reduced the goals against column and made us harder to beat. The football has on occasions been very negative, but this has helped gained points (whereas before we'd gained none). Our home form had been quite poor (Jan / Feb) because of this style, whereas we looked better away as the Home team would need to be positive. In our last few games at home (Aldershot, Shrewsbury and Bradford) we've won but have played quite poorly.

If we want to progress to being a top half side next season we need a better CM (walton and wotton are too slow and similar), better wide players (despite the hype Hemmings provides little end product, Baz is a FB and Macdonald is a striker) and better attackers- Chadwick despite initial hope is as bad as ever, Feeney is a battler who doesn't score and Lecointe still needs time.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 pm

The continued inability of so many Argyle fans to see the bigger picture never ceases to amaze and frustrate me in equal measure.

Put it this way, with the players brought in, at this level, I think I could have kept us up .

There is a small chance that I am incorrect in my assessment of Fletch, being a bit of a dunce but from what I've seen and heard from him and the views of those, whose views I respect , he just hasn't got what it takes.
Purse,Wotton, Blanchard and some half decent players further forward, should always have been enough , given the crap we are competing with at the foot of the table.

You be as positive as you like Chris. Positivity is far different from reality.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:20 pm

All the last few posts have proven is you can juggle stats to suit your own agenda. My post wont be any different but...

Aidy Boothroyd joined Northampton just after the loan window slammed shut so was unable to bring in any new players until January. The table from 1st January show Northampton in play-off form, the sort of form we should be achieving with our enviable budget.

Back to top Go down
Mr President

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Tringreen wrote:
The continued inability of so many Argyle fans to see the bigger picture never ceases to amaze and frustrate me in equal measure.

Put it this way, with the players brought in, at this level, I think I could have kept us up .

There is a small chance that I am incorrect in my assessment of Fletch, being a bit of a dunce but from what I've seen and heard from him and the views of those, whose views I respect , he just hasn't got what it takes.
Purse,Wotton, Blanchard and some half decent players further forward, should always have been enough , given the crap we are competing with at the foot of the table.

And your negativity is not only far different from reality it is also a pretty sad way to lead your life.

The only thing that will tell who is right is time......but......don't forget that you predicted we were going down so sometimes positivity beats negativity, Tringy.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

And your negativity is not only far different from reality it is also a pretty sad way to lead your life.

The only thing that will tell who is right is time......but......don't forget that you predicted we were going down so sometimes positivity beats negativity, Tringy.

Show me where I predicted we'd go down. I might have said it was a distinct possibility and if it wasn't for the total collapse of a few minnows, it could well have happened. Far too close a call I'd say.
Again, one man's negativity is another's reality. I think my understanding of the club and predictions over the last few years have been proven as reality, not negativity.
My life in general, is in no way negative dear boy. It's only bleddyargo and control freaks like you n Newell who get me going lol!
Back to top Go down
Mr President

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Show me where I predicted we'd go down. I might have said it was a distinct possibility and if it wasn't for the total collapse of a few minnows, it could well have happened. Far too close a call I'd say.
Again, one man's negativity is another's reality. I think my understanding of the club and predictions over the last few years have been proven as reality, not negativity.
My life in general, is in no way negative dear boy. It's only bleddyargo and control freaks like you n Newell who get me going lol!

Nothing controlling, Tringy. Simply here to add some balance to your non-stop anti, negative posts.

Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:38 pm

Well done Coxside for getting in "the loan window slamming shut" lol! We'll get you a job up The 'erald yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Chris have a word with the fat controller and his puppets, calling me a exeter troll is like calling nool straight and true, i want that shite from my badge of honour removed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:41 pm

SufferedSince68 wrote:
Chris have a word with the fat controller and his puppets, calling me a exeter troll is like calling nool straight and true, i want that shite from my badge of honour removed!

Oi you, clear off.

Exeter fans aren't allowed on here. You troll!!!!!!!!!

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Nothing controlling, Tringy. Simply here to add some balance to your non-stop anti, negative posts.

Jeeeeez Chris....do you listen to nothing anyone says that is not happy clappy ?
When your mate banned me from the farm for warning not to trust in Stapes, I was told to shut up, support the lads and enjoy the ride.
Look where it's taken us.

Now it seems history is about to repeat itself, in so much as blind faith and ignorance of footballing reality are taking priority over calculated measures. At least this time we don't have far to fall.
Another wasted season if Fletcher is retained IN MY OPINION ! I can have it on here Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Quality bey, up the city right up!
Back to top Go down
Mr President

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Mr President wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Jeeeeez Chris....do you listen to nothing anyone says that is not happy clappy ?
When your mate banned me from the farm for warning not to trust in Stapes, I was told to shut up, support the lads and enjoy the ride.
Look where it's taken us.

Now it seems history is about to repeat itself, in so much as blind faith and ignorance of footballing reality are taking priority over calculated measures. At least this time we don't have far to fall.
Another wasted season if Fletcher is retained IN MY OPINION ! I can have it on here Wink

Tring, no issue with that but if you could show me ONE positive post from you about anything Argyle related I'd probably take your opinion a little more seriously. Being negative and giving up is the easiest thing in the World to do.

Stapleton was a disaster you were right. It doesn't mean that James Brent will be. Small things like bringing back the membership STs, having armed forces days, sending the players into schools etc are already happening and in my opinion are signs that the Club is rebuilding. I also believe that sooner rather than later we'll see an announcement on the grandstand which will bring 24/7 income to the Club and offer much improved facilities.

Not EVERYTHING is negative. In the same way I accept that not everything is positive. If we all accept that and take a balanced view then as fans we can work to improve the negatives. Surely thats what it is all about?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who kept us up ?   Who kept us up ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who kept us up ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Zoo Corner-
Jump to: