Angry
Freathy
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Graiser

Graiser

The new manager thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 3:54 pm

Little too much negativity on yer, I expect it from Freathy but let’s give the bloke a chance.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 4:19 pm

Graiser wrote:
Little too much negativity on yer, I expect it from Freathy but let’s give the bloke a chance.

If you give any credence to any post Freathy ever makes, well that’s your first mistake.

But once you park that, and look at the evidence, there’s actually a pretty good cause for negativity and being largely underwhelmed with this Foster guy. It’s a huge risk to give the top gig to a fella who has zero management or coaching experience in the English professional leagues. Have Argyle ever done this before and it ended well?

I’d be thoroughly delighted if my scepticism proved to be unfounded, and we unearth a wee nugget of a coach, I really would.

It’s just a huge gamble.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 4:48 pm

only interviewed 3 people!!!

from 100 applicants? where the other 97 that bad or did some withdrew their interest when they found out they would be taking on a role with restricted duties.....

The appointment is either going to be a stroke of genius or one that's likely to see Dewsnip fall or indeed be pushed on to his sword along with this guy if it fails for taking this high stakes gamble.

Last edited by Angry on Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 4:49 pm

Graiser wrote:

Perfectly prepared to give him a chance but i think people have reason to question the wisdom of the appointment. This is a very important window coming up which could shape Argyle's fortunes over the next few years and it needs to be spot on-questions arise such as does the guy have sufficient contacts and ideas of what needs to be done to bring in the required personnel to steer the club clear of relegation? If the powers that be are confident that he does then all, repeat all, of the money received from Schumachers compensation package plus income received from outgoing transfers and potential FA cup money must be transferred to the playing budget rather than any extra curricular projects. I wish him all the best in taking on the job but nagging doubts will remain until proven otherwise. Managing an elite group of young players is very different to fighting a relegation battle in the championship no matter how good a coach you are, we shall see if he can cut the mustard in the coming months.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 5:33 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Graiser wrote:

If you give any credence to any post Freathy ever makes, well that’s your first mistake.

But once you park that, and look at the evidence, there’s actually a pretty good cause for negativity and being largely underwhelmed with this Foster guy. It’s a huge risk to give the top gig to a fella who has zero management or coaching experience in the English professional leagues. Have Argyle ever done this before and it ended well?

I’d be thoroughly delighted if my scepticism proved to be unfounded, and we unearth a wee nugget of a coach, I really would.

It’s just a huge gamble.

Malcolm Allison Tony Waiters

David Kemp (said we wouldn't have been relegated if we hadn't sacked him)
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 6:20 pm

Argyle been told to pay £125k for Foster by his club in saudi arabia who gave their blessing to his departure....... Hence why its not been confirmed yet as haggling is ongoing.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 6:51 pm

I see Swansea and Birmingham are doing it properly. Swansea bring in Notts County boss Luke Williams and his assistants and Birmingham look likely to appoint Tony Mowbray - experience and track record. WTF Argo are doing I have no idea No
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:30 pm

it is confirmed

Foster appointed new Argyle Head Coach

from the link wrote:
We are delighted to announce that Ian Foster has been appointed as the new Head Coach of Plymouth Argyle.

The 47-year-old is widely regarded as one of the brightest coaches in England, and prior to moving to the Middle East worked for the Football Association across a variety of age groups.

He worked as a coach for the World Cup-winning England Under-17 side, alongside current Argyle defender, Lewis Gibson, before managing the Under-18s, Under-19s, Under-20s and was an assistant to Phil Neville with the Senior Women’s team.

Foster has also had a spell alongside Paul Cook at Portsmouth and played an instrumental role in their title winning 2016/17 season.

A former professional footballer for the likes of Hereford United and Kidderminster Harriers, Foster joins the club after most recently being Assistant Manager at Al-Effitaq in Saudi Arabia, alongside Steven Gerrard.

Chairman Simon Hallett is delighted to secure the services of one of the country’s finest coaching talents and commented: “I am thrilled to welcome a coach of Ian’s calibre to Plymouth Argyle as our new Head Coach. He was the perfect candidate to lead our great football club forward as we embark on our next five-year mission.

“Ian showed a passion and knowledge for the club throughout the interview process, and showcased in some detail how he sees the best way to take forward our exciting and dynamic young squad.

“Having worked with some of the best players this country has produced, he has a passion for developing young footballers, as well as playing expansive, attacking football which fits perfectly with how we want the club to progress. I am excited to see how he takes the team forward and very much welcome him to Plymouth Argyle.”

Director of Football, Neil Dewsnip, echoed the sentiments of Chairman Simon Hallett and added: “I have spoken openly in the past few weeks about how we would wait for the right person for the job and in Ian we believe we have found exactly that.

“He has incredible pedigree as a coach and working with young players and we feel he is the perfect person to take forward this incredible group of players we have.

“Now is the time to look to the future and I am excited to see Ian get to work on the training pitch immediately and to help us achieve our aims, both this season and beyond.”

Argyle Chief Executive, Andrew Parkinson, concluded: “It was important when going through the recruitment process that the successful person showed the key qualities required to be the Head Coach of Plymouth Argyle.

“The interest in this role was incredible, with applicants from all over the world, and in Ian, we feel that we have found the perfect person to lead the team forward and continue the success we have seen over the past four years.”

First-team coach Kevin Nancekivell will form a part of Foster’s coaching staff, with further announcements in due course confirming the full make-up of the Englishman’s backroom staff.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 pm

Good news! A very highly rated coach with some good contacts.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Leighton Baines joining next-for him to be so heavily linked seems to point to some one "in the know" making the connection.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:51 pm

now its confirmed i still have reservation's but I'm willing to put them to one side and welcome ian as the new boss of the team and wish him luck and hope he is a success.

I also hope the board are going to hire the right people to form his coaching team along with a experienced assistant as he will need that at this stage of his career.

I also hope that the board fund a decent January transfer window to strengthen our squad that needs currently a striker, a defender (2 if Gillesphey finds another club who's medical aren't as strict as charlton's) and now 2-3 midfielders to replace loanees Azaz and Warrington (he will be sent back he's injured plus why keep him if your not playing him either) and also possibly Cundle too if he does get recalled to be sold which i think he will be to go to stoke and give him the best chance of keeping us in this league comfortably this season and beyond. losing two midfielders who score goals and created chances/goals is going to be a huge task to replace hope your up to it head of recruitment.

the new era begins.

Grovehill wrote:
Good news! A very highly rated coach with some good contacts.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Leighton Baines joining next-for him to be so heavily linked seems to point to some one "in the know" making the connection.

yeah cause that would make total sense that someone he probably doesnt know never been at any club hes been at to be joining him quitting a managerial role at a bigger club's academy simply cause hes a scouser and coaches youth football too Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes plus youve never heard of him till yesterday like all of us so what contacts do you know he has Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Angry on Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 9:03 pm

This is Hallett and Dewsnip experimenting with a total novice. Or maybe it's just hallett going even more cheap than anyone thought he would. I wish Foster had gone elsewhere to learn how to be a manager instead of my club. We needed experience FFS. Not good.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 9:16 pm

I remember Ipswich fans saying Kieran Who ? when he was appointed, they Bleddy well ain’t now.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 9:18 pm

Freathy wrote:
I see Swansea and Birmingham are doing it properly.  Swansea bring in Notts County boss Luke Williams and his assistants and Birmingham look likely to appoint Tony Mowbray - experience and track record.  WTF Argo are doing I have no idea No

No you haven’t!
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Graiser wrote:

It’s just a huge gamble.

I don’t give a minuscule of credence to anything Freathy posts.
I think there’s plenty of evidence with his coaching experience, my biggest concern is whether Dewsnip stays.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 10:19 pm

Graiser wrote:
I remember Ipswich fans saying Kieran Who ? when he was appointed, they Bleddy well ain’t now.

Really? He was assistant manager to Mourinho at Man United, so that ain’t too bad a CV.
Back to top Go down
Mook

Mook

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 10:20 pm

If we'd gone for Luke Williams folk would moan he's only managed in the conference and half a season in L2.....
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 12:30 am

A big risk. Given our current position the Argyle job is a tough job to take for anyone. Keeping us up with a very small budget in probably the most competitive league in the country (maybe in the world) will be a tough task for anyone. Not saying this Foster guy isn't good, but it's a big ask for a guy with no league management experience to come in mid-season and keep us up. It does feel like a 'budget' appointment given who else was available.
Anyway good luck to the guy, he'll probably need it. One positive is that he's swapped an 'easy money' position in the Saudi league, for a tough job in the Championship, so the guy's clearly got ambition if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 12:49 am

The deals done the appointments been made so there’s not a lot we can do about other than support team till when or if the shit hits the fan ..the geezer wasnt my choice and tbh I think it’s a gamble ..iam not doubting coaching credentials youth football but that’s along term thing the might benefit the club
But iam certainly doubting he championship credentials with no experience and never been in a relegation scrap dogfight call it what you like has he got the time though to turn this around in short space of time I mean getting 4 maybe 5 players in getting em to gel as well impose his tactics as well in such a short space of time we’re only 2 defeats and draw away from being right in the relegation mix as it is iam not so sure his got the time to turn all this around as I said I’d rather seen someone who could hit the ground running someone who’s been there and done it before as I said time is the essence and time will tell but that’s something he might not have is in this league is time all we can do is wait and see I wish him all the best welcome to home park and good luck cos your certainty gunna need it
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 9:01 am

So many concerns over this appointment.  Total lack of English league club experience apart from 5 minutes as assistant to Paul Cook at Pompey is the main one.  Not convinced he has the contacts or pulling power to replace Azaz and Cundle with similar/better and bring in a Championship standard striker and defenders even on loan.  If he is seen to be failing it will be too late for Hallett to sack him and bring someone else in before we are relegated.  Worrying times.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 9:10 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Graiser wrote:

Really? He was assistant manager to Mourinho at Man United, so that ain’t too bad a CV.

He was a coach

And Foster coached the England u 20, 19 a squad that won the 2022 European tournament, so also quite a decent CV

Read the Ipswich forum at the time of his appointment, nobody had heard of him and they were a bit hacked off, shows what we supporters know doesn’t it!
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 9:21 am

Freathy wrote:
So many concerns over this appointment.  Total lack of English league club experience apart from 5 minutes as assistant to Paul Cook at Pompey is the main one.  Not convinced he has the contacts or pulling power to replace Azaz and Cundle with similar/better and bring in a Championship standard striker and defenders even on loan.  If he is seen to be failing it will be too late for Hallett to sack him and bring someone else in before we are relegated.  Worrying times.

2 years at Pompey, credited with their promotion in 2016/17 until head hunted to coach the young England squads
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 11:38 am

Graiser wrote:
Freathy wrote:

2 years at Pompey, credited with their promotion in 2016/17 until head hunted to coach the young England squads
I think crediting with the whole promotion is a bit over the top I think it was the that they had one maybe two players and one of them sat on the bench that came through the ranks in that promotion side but were already well progressing before he got there …my pompey mate reckons ..just saying like
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:00 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Freathy wrote:

I think crediting with the whole promotion is a bit over the top I think it was the that they had one maybe two players and one of them sat on the bench that came through the ranks in that promotion side but were already well progressing before he got there …my pompey mate reckons ..just saying like

Looks like both of our Pompey mates don’t agree!
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:05 pm

[quote="Graiser"]
RegGreen wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Freathy wrote:

I think crediting with the whole promotion is a bit over the top I think it was the that they had one maybe two players and one of them sat on the bench that came through the ranks in that promotion side but e already well progressing before he got theren …my pompey mate reckons ..just saying like[/quote
Looks like both of our Pompey mates don’t agree!
that’s what football all about different opinions gaffer …here’s another I couldn’t give a shit what happened or didn’t happen at pompey 9 years ago just passing what my mate said …as long as he don’t fF#[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] our club up hey
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 5:12 pm

outtahere outtahere

best dust this thread off so its ready for when the club finally gets rid of that joke they hired which will no doubt come if we lose to blackburn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

The new manager thread
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next