+3
Freathy
Earwegoagain
Angry
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 8:07 am

I am looking forward to the end of the Jones era. It might well be that in the Autumn of 2023 he gets the formula right and we storm to WC success, but I am not convinced anymore. With the resources at his disposal we should be better than this.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 9:20 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
I am looking forward to the end of the Jones era. It might well be that in the Autumn of 2023 he gets the formula right and we storm to WC success, but I am not convinced anymore. With the resources at his disposal we should be better than this.

For once we agree. If this was France or any Southern hemisphere team he would have gone last year, like you say with the players we have we should be doing better.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 10:59 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:

exactly which is why i dont understand why the RFU opted to keep him after their "review" He's come to the end of the road with England its time to move on under a new guy and let him start the transition era.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 11:20 am

Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

exactly which is why i dont understand why the RFU opted to keep him after their "review" He's come to the end of the road with England its time to move on under a new guy and let him start the transition era.

It might be that they think there will be a better choice of candidate after a WC cycle as opposed to the middle of one.

If for example Andy Farrell leads Ireland to success he would have completed his apprenticeship and be ready for the big job.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 9:39 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

It might be that they think there will be a better choice of candidate after a WC cycle as opposed to the middle of one.

If for example Andy Farrell leads Ireland to success he would have completed his apprenticeship and be ready for the big job.

Who they be so keen to go to him unless Ireland constantly out performs England especially next years world cup given he was an important member of the lancaster era. I wouldn't be against it but we shall have to see.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2022 3:56 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Life is so much easier for the Irish teams and their coaches inasmuch that, for a start, Irish rugby at all levels have received £16.2 from the Irish Covid-19 emergency Fund for Sport. Meanwhile the Chiefs made a pre-tax loss during Covid of £4million. Then you must consider that the English, Welsh and Scottish clubs complete their last league games and see their international players depart elsewhere without a break. To cap it all, the four provinces with Leinster and Munster in particular, are so strong that they can rest star players if they consider their next opponents particularly weak therefore they're less jaded than those of the other five nations. A good example of Leinster's player strength is that the Chiefs look to sign Leinster lock Jack Dunne who is 7th in the Leister lock pecking order. Strewth!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 8:19 am

Hugh Midde wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Life is so much easier for the Irish teams and their coaches inasmuch that, for a start, Irish rugby at all levels have received £16.2 from the Irish Covid-19 emergency Fund for Sport. Meanwhile the Chiefs made a pre-tax loss during Covid of £4million. Then you must consider that the English, Welsh and Scottish clubs complete their last league games and see their international players depart elsewhere without a break. To cap it all, the four provinces with Leinster and Munster in particular, are so strong that they can rest star players if they consider their next opponents particularly weak therefore they're less jaded than those of the other five nations. A good example of Leinster's player strength is that the Chiefs look to sign Leinster lock Jack Dunne who is 7th in the Leister lock pecking order. Strewth!

The Irish system works perfectly for them, and it produces a strong national team and very strong provincial rugby. You would think that Wales would try to emulate a similar system but their petty tribal rivalries is holding back the game. Oh well never mind.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 10:47 pm

competition is wide open again with scotland losing to wales and ireland losing to france.

Should be a straight forward win tomorrow for England hoping to see a better performance even if it is against Italy.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 11:12 am

Scotland are better than I gave them credit for tbf, everyone else looks beatable but France the team to beat foreshore. Ire land fooked up after a great 50/22 kick let France steal their lineout. Very small margins in these games.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 1:59 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

The Irish system works perfectly for them, and it produces a strong national team and very strong provincial rugby. You would think that Wales would try to emulate a similar system but their petty tribal rivalries is holding back the game. Oh well never mind.

Although the Welsh have four regional teams similar to that of the Irish, I can't see the Welsh Rugby Union receiving any monetary help from the Welsh Assembly - they'll just have to cut their coat according to their cloth. However, what they are doing is making players like Tomas Francis who has less than 60 caps, leave the Chiefs and join a Welsh club (Ospreys) if he wants to be considered for further selection. Then there is the case of the Chief's 20 year old Christ Tshiunza who on getting rave notices, gets picked for the welsh team which means he now cannot play for England and will eventually have to return to Wales to further his international aspirations. Another Welsh lad (of which the Chiefs have five) who is making the Welsh selectors notice is Dafydd Jenkins. I wonder if he'll get called up for the Italy game? Wink Wink

Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Angry wrote:
Competition is wide open again with Scotland losing to wales and Ireland losing to France.

Should be a straight forward win tomorrow for England hoping to see a better performance even if it is against Italy.

Should be, Mr A. I see Italy's under 20's beat England yesterday which was a quick riposte to those of our membership who want them dropped from the Six Nations.

Looking forward and hoping that Jack Nowell dots a few down later today cheers cheers

Good ol' Jack....

Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 3:19 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:
Competition is wide open again with Scotland losing to wales and Ireland losing to France.

Should be, Mr A. I see Italy's under 20's beat England yesterday which was a quick riposte to those of our membership who want them dropped from the Six Nations.

Looking forward and hoping that Jack Nowell dots a few down later today  cheers cheers

Good ol' Jack....

Italy maybe the whipping boys of the 6 nations but they are no san marino or Luxemburg they can make the other 5 work hard for their wins. I would like to see them be more competitive in this competition but how that can be done is a mystery. But as you say their u20 team beat England yesterday perhaps if those youngsters are looked after well by italian rugby board that might be one of the answers.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 5:58 pm

Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Looking forward and hoping that Jack Nowell dots a few down later today  cheers cheers

Good ol' Jack....

Italy maybe the whipping boys of the 6 nations but they are no san marino or Luxemburg they can make the other 5 work hard for their wins. I would like to see them be more competitive in this competition but how that can be done is a mystery. But as you say their u20 team beat England yesterday perhaps if those youngsters are looked after well by italian rugby board that might be one of the answers.

Italy's 99th defeat in the six nations today, I do believe they won one once although I could have dreamt that.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 12:44 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

Italy's 99th defeat in the six nations today, I do believe they won one once although I could have dreamt that.

think they won twice over the years i know they beat scotland once maybe twice not too sure.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 11:10 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

I believe it's a few more than that Mr E. See link...

Yes, the other 5 nations pretty much believe they're gonna turn Italy over so they fight it out between themselves. Having said that, would you cast them out? Truth be known, the "Unions" are trying to grow the game worldwide so what would the lesser rugby nations who are about to launch their own "Rugby Europe Super Cup" think of such behaviour. The reality is that if Italy were relegated to second-tier status they'd storm that league year in, year out.

Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 11:35 am

Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

Yes, the other 5 nations pretty much believe they're gonna turn Italy over so they fight it out between themselves. Having said that, would you cast them out? Truth be known, the "Unions" are trying to grow the game worldwide so what would the lesser rugby nations who are about to launch their own "Rugby Europe Super Cup" think of such behaviour. The reality is that if Italy were relegated to second-tier status they'd storm that league year in, year out.

same could be said for Argentina i feel not a bad team never going to win the The Rugby Championship though despite putting up a fight, but they would run away with a competition regularly that they would play if taken out of that where they have to play other south american teams or join the Pacific Nations Cup. How would the game grow then!  

on another note. IRB could do a great service to the likes of Samoa, Fiji and Tonga by making it harder for the elite nations harvesting their talented youngsters to play for them due to residency laws.

Last edited by Angry on Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 12:08 pm

Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

same could be said for Argentina i feel not a hard team never going to win the The Rugby Championship though despite putting up a fight, but they would run away with a competition regularly that they would play if taken out of that where they have to play other south american teams or join the Pacific Nations Cup. How would the game grow then!  

on another note. IRB could do a great service to the likes of Samoa, Fiji and Tonga by making it harder for the elite nations harvesting their talented youngsters to play for them due to residency laws.

A really interesting documentary about Pacific Island rugby. The biggest issue at the moment is the corruption in the game in the Islands. The IRB are reluctant to give them any funding as it goes straight into the pockets of the politicians.

Players like Nathan Hughes come to England with the intention of making it as England players - at £25k an appearance for the national team they are supporting their entire villages back home. Dan Leo also covers stories of Samoan players who play professional rugby in Europe but live off starvation rations because they send all their money home. He also goes to visit the Tongan RFU at their offices in Tonga.......which is literally an empty portakabin. Its a real eye opener.

Its a shame that the Islanders haven't been able to develop the way the rugby world wants them to. They are feckin awesome players.

One rule change that is coming in is that the IRB have made it possible for Islanders to play for their birth nation having already played for a Tier 1 team. I think Nathan Hughes as an example now qualifies for Fiji again. This might stunt the development of younger players but it will surely raise the standard of of the Island teams at World Cups.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 1:31 pm

Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

same could be said for Argentina i feel not a hard team never going to win the The Rugby Championship though despite putting up a fight, but they would run away with a competition regularly that they would play if taken out of that where they have to play other south american teams or join the Pacific Nations Cup. How would the game grow then!  

Apart from the Argentine sabre rattling-rattling regarding the Falkland Islands I have a healthy respect for their rugby team. When Argentina run out you know every last one of them is a home grown product whereas the likes of Australia and New Zealand poach from the Pacific basin with monotonous regularity. the All Blacks have been knew to to recruit a player who has already represented his Island nation under 20's. The French are believed to have talent scout domiciled out there to hoover up possible talent. Agustin Pichot the former Argentine scrum-half stood and failed to beat Bill Beaumont for election as World Rugby Chairman. One of the things Pichot wished to do was increase residency in a country from three years to that of five.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 2:01 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

A really interesting documentary about Pacific Island rugby. The biggest issue at the moment is the corruption in the game in the Islands. The IRB are reluctant to give them any funding as it goes straight into the pockets of the politicians.

Players like Nathan Hughes come to England with the intention of making it as England players - at £25k an appearance for the national team they are supporting their entire villages back home. Dan Leo also covers stories of Samoan players who play professional rugby in Europe but live off starvation rations because they send all their money home. He also goes to visit the Tongan RFU at their offices in Tonga.......which is literally an empty portakabin. Its a real eye opener.

Its a shame that the Islanders haven't been able to develop the way the rugby world wants them to. They are feckin awesome players.

One rule change that is coming in is that the IRB have made it possible for Islanders to play for their birth nation having already played for a Tier 1 team. I think Nathan Hughes as an example now qualifies for Fiji again. This might stunt the development of younger players but it will surely raise the standard of of the Island teams at World Cups.

I would liked to have seen that programme. Although you are doubtlessly fully familiar with the contents of this link I add it for those who maybe interested.....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 2:46 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

Apart from the Argentine sabre rattling-rattling regarding the Falkland Islands I have a healthy respect for their rugby team. When Argentina run out you know every last one of them is a home grown product whereas the likes of Australia and New Zealand poach from the Pacific basin with monotonous regularity. the All Blacks have been knew to to recruit a player who has already represented his Island nation under 20's. The French are believed to have talent scout domiciled out there to hoover up possible talent. Agustin Pichot the former Argentine scrum-half stood and failed to beat Bill Beaumont for election as World Rugby Chairman. One of the things Pichot wished to do was increase residency in a country from three years to that of five.

Not sure if it is covered in the documentary or I have heard it on podcasts that Dan Leo subsequently appeared on, but I am sure he said that the Islands are awash with scouts from all over the world who are desperate to unearth the next Semi Radrada or pack of Tuilagi's.

I am not sure that the Aussies and Kiwis poach as many Islanders as we think. I may be wrong but I think most ethnic Islanders in the Aus/NZ teams are now 2nd or 3rd generation. If anything it goes the other way - NZ have previous for capping players early so that they can't be selected for the Islands later on.

Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 4:46 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

Not sure if it is covered in the documentary or I have heard it on podcasts that Dan Leo subsequently appeared on, but I am sure he said that the Islands are awash with scouts from all over the world who are desperate to unearth the next Semi Radrada or pack of Tuilagi's.

I am not sure that the Aussies and Kiwis poach as many Islanders as we think. I may be wrong but I think most ethnic Islanders in the Aus/NZ teams are now 2nd or 3rd generation. If anything it goes the other way - NZ have previous for capping players early so that they can't be selected for the Islands later on.

Well, I immediately flagged up the All Blacks team and yes, it's as you say, there have been quite a few of Samoan and Fijian descent over many years. Then you currently have Nepo Laulala of Samoa, Ofa Tu'ungafasi of Tonga, Akira Loane of Japan and Sevu Reece of Fiji.

The All Blacks team sheet I used...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 5:12 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

Good ol' Jack....

Well, I immediately flagged up the All Blacks team and yes, it's as you say, there have been quite a few of Samoan and Fijian descent over many years. Then you currently have Nepo Laulala of Samoa, Ofa Tu'ungafasi of Tonga, Akira Loane of Japan and Sevu Reece of Fiji.

The All Blacks team sheet I used...

That’s a few more than I thought. Quickly looking through some of their bios it looks like they went to NZ as kids/teenagers. I am sure there is a lot of economic migration from the Islands and its not all rugby related.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 5:14 pm

This may well be the report that appears to be very much in line with the documentary you mentioned.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 5:22 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
This may well be the report that appears to be very much in line with the documentary you mentioned.

Yep - that pretty much covers it.

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 26, 2022 2:07 pm

Need a convincing win against the wolley backs today to keep any interest alive Roooaaaarrrrrr.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread   Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jethro's 2022 6 nations thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next