Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Flybe about to go tits up

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Flybe about to go tits up Empty
PostSubject: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 10:14 pm

Sad for the employees of the airline .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can’t see much of a future for Exeter Airpot either or Newcastle and Norwich.
Manchester and Birmingham will also take a hit.

It’s properly fecked this time as the Government seem to have been spooked by climate change in the past few weeks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 12:00 am

as i told a scruffy tree hugger who tried bullshitting me on climate change confusing that with global warming (they arent the same two seperate things) you could revert the world to a flintstone like existence the earth will still heat up and cool down as it has cycles, flybe going out of business will hurt the south west and i agree the airport will probably go the way of plymouths and become newquay like
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 3:44 am

So much for Richard Branson shafting the original shareholders a year ago offering less than a penny a share on a take it or leave it basis and taking into under the Virgin banner

Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 8:01 am

Never trust a hippie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 8:44 am

Angry wrote:
as i told a scruffy tree hugger who tried bullshitting me on climate change confusing that with global warming (they arent the same two seperate things) you could revert the world to a flintstone like existence the earth will still heat up and cool down as it has cycles, flybe going out of business will hurt the south west and i agree the airport will probably go the way of plymouths and become newquay like

Newquay will be fine as the Government will pay for it out of its own pockets, BA will probably come along and take up its slots. I would say Exeter is definately screwed as virtually all its routes are operated by the carrier. Southampton and Belfast City probably as well. Manchester and Birmingham will take hits.

The trouble is that there is comparatively little market for regional flight in this country, if I want to go from Exeter to Manchester I could save 3 hours on the road, but then I've got to drive to the airport, park, clear security and then board, so thats an hour, then you've got the onward journey so for the cost and faff you mgiht as well drive.

However when routes do become successful someone like Easyjet comes in and blows it out of the water
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 1:57 pm

1st casualty of the virus
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 2:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am on a train now because my flight is fooked.

Looks like Logan Air will take over a lot of routes.

Loganair to take over 16 Flybe routes
Scottish airline Loganair is to take over 16 of collapsed carrier Flybe's routes.
By Alastair Dalton
Thursday, 5th March 2020, 1:15 pm

Loganair is among airlines who could take over some Flybe routes
Loganair is among airlines who could take over some Flybe routes Copyright: other
comments

HAVE YOUR SAY
They include Aberdeen to Belfast City, Birmingham, Manchester and Jersey

Edinburgh to Cardiff, Exeter, Manchester, Newquay and Southampton.

Glasgow to Exeter and Southampton

Inverness to Belfast City, Birmingham and Jersey.

It will also operate from Newcastle to Exeter and Southampton.

The announcement followed transport secretary Michael Matheson said Glasgow-based Loganair was "preparing to take up a number of Flybe’s former routes".

Train operators including LNER, Avanti West Coast, CrossCountry and TransPennine Express have offered stranded Flybe passengers free travel today.

Avanti and TransPennine later extended the offer until next Wednesday, while CrossCountry's offer continues until Sunday.

Mr Matheson said: “My officials have spoken with [Glasgow and Aberdeen owner] AGS Airports, Edinburgh Airport and Highlands & Islands Airports this morning to discuss how we can best help ensure connectivity is maintained and enhanced.

"We have also spoken with Loganair, who are preparing to take up a number of flyBe’s former routes to help maintain connectivity."

EasyJet may also be looking to increase the number of flights between the Scottish cities and Birmingham, which are due to be launched at the end of the month.

Loganair previous flew Scottish routes to Manchester, and became a rival to Flybe after their partnership over Highlands and Islands routes broke up in acrimony.

Flybe's routes from Edinburgh were Belfast City, Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter, London City, Heathrow, Southend, Manchester and Southampton, Knock in Ireland and Bergerac in France.

Gavin Newlands, the SNP’s Westminster transport spokesman, said: "With Flybe entering administration, and the UK government failing to step in, the government must now work urgently to secure other operators for vital routes and protect employment for staff."

Flybe, which employed some 300 people in Scotland, went into administration last night with all flights cancelled.

Read More
Flybe collapse: Europe's largest regional airline enters administration
“The loss of Flybe is a devasting blow for the airline’s employees and the tens of thousands of passengers who relied on its routes."

The advice to passengers who were scheduled to travel with Flybe is not to travel to the airport and to visit the Civil Aviation Authority’s website for further advice at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A spokesman for Edinburgh Airport said: “We are sorry Flybe has gone into administration and ceased operations - our thoughts are with Flybe employees at this difficult time.

“We are assessing the impact on our operations and any passengers who are due to travel with Flybe should not come to the airport as those flights will not be operating."

Loganair managing director Jonathan Hinkles posted on the LinkedIn business social media site:

"Long-time friend (though once a foe…),

"We’re truly saddened to see Flybe go;

"With true professionals we’ve shared the air,

"And it’s for you guys that we all now must care;

"And so to our friends and compatriots at Flybe,

"We hope back in the air soon you all to see.

"Our hearts and best wishes go out to the whole team at Flybe tonight.

"From all of us at Loganair, good luck and Godspeed."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Elias wrote:

More to do with the fact they ran out of cash.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 4:04 pm

I suspect Beardie hasn't run out of Flybe cash, kerchingggggggg!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Elias wrote:

it didnt help but i think flybe were on the way out regardless, corona just sped it up.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 am

Angry wrote:
Elias wrote:

it didnt help but i think flybe were on the way out regardless, corona just sped it up.

Spot on. Been watching them struggling since Xmas. Clearly Branson didnt want to pump more cash into them. O'leary (for once) was spot on yesterday live on Sky saying they were a badly run airline and underfunded and it was only a matter of time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 8:39 am

Loganair have picked up 3 routes, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle. However by far and away the most popular route is to Manchester followed by Amsterdam and Charles De Gaulle.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 9:29 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Loganair have picked up 3 routes, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle. However by far and away the most popular route is to Manchester followed by Amsterdam and Charles De Gaulle.

Fingers crossed EasyJet may pick them up. I hate Ryanair with a passion but even them picking up the Manchester and Amsterdam slots would be decent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:

Fingers crossed EasyJet may pick them up. I hate Ryanair with a passion but even them picking up the Manchester and Amsterdam slots would be decent.

Can't imagine either wanting them. If any routes were worth chasing they would already be offering them.

Its possible the Government might slap a Public Service Obligation on them like with the London to Newquay service but its not likely.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 pm

only good thing about flybe closing down is the impact it will have on exeter city as they are their main sponsors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Wonder if TAJ Hibberd are still going...
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up EmptySun Mar 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Free tea and coffee on Logan Air too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flybe about to go tits up   Flybe about to go tits up Empty

Back to top Go down

Flybe about to go tits up
Page 1 of 1