The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1960's Argyle Team

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Trickle

1960's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: 1960's Argyle Team   1960's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:14 pm

As per the 70's team - who would be your 11, why and what memories do you have?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

1960's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1960's Argyle Team   1960's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Can't really do this one. Not old enough.

So this is my shout given that I've never seen many of them play!

Dwyer

Hore Book Fincham Sullivan

Jones Newman Williams Jennings

Carter Bickle

I'm probably going to be right slagged off for that lot - and half of them are probably out of position.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

1960's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1960's Argyle Team   1960's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Norman Piper foreshore.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

1960's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1960's Argyle Team   1960's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:20 pm

Dunne

Book
Newman
Neale
Sullivan

Jones
Piper
Burnside
Jennings

Trebilcock
Cliff Jackson

Honourable mentions for Corbett, Bickle, Saxton and Hore.

I was a bit too young to remember what was one of Argyle's more productive periods in the early sixties when the club did invest reasonably heavily [mainly through Blindell's cash I believe] in people like McParland,O'Neill,McAnearney and Alex Jackson but my father said they were very good players and I respected his judgement. I vaguely remember Johnny Williams but not well enough to really form an opinion. I must have caught the tail end of the good period and the club struggled in the old second division in the latter years of the decade but did produce a great run to the semi finals of the league cup and were capable of producing surprise performances such as the win at Millwall in 1967. which broke their sequence of 59 home games without defeat.Argyle had some class players in the period but not enough-Johnny Newman always maintained that had the finance been available when Allison was in charge,the club could well have done something - same old story unfortunately,a 1930's board room trying to come to terms with the modern era, a situation which frankly hasn't changed much.
Back to top Go down

1960's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1960's Argyle Team   1960's Argyle Team EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 12:53 am

Not a bad shout Greenskin.

The defence is spot on. An honoury mention for Andy Nelson as the big CB

I would put Johnny Williams in midfield to stiffen it up a bit at the expense of Nicky. . I would only play the one out and out winger in Jones, as Jackson was also a bit wide on occasion. Well, he certainly was when I played with him a couple of times. In fact, I might even put in big Frank Lord up front with Trebilcock, as Trebilcock and Jackson is a bit of a lightweight pairing. Very fast though, particularly Jackson.

Our family bumped into Frank Lord in Cardiff before a game, wearing our scarves, early 60s He had a chirp and bought us kids and parents a cup of tea for having traveled so far. What a polite gent. Not so polite on the pitch. I couldn't imagine a player these days wondering around the shops on his own 3 hours before an away game. Maybe they do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1960's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1960's Argyle Team   1960's Argyle Team Empty

Back to top Go down

1960's Argyle Team
Page 1 of 1