The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1970's Argyle Team

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Trickle

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:13 pm

For those of you that were there. Who would play in your team of the 70's?

I'm assuming that the strikers are a shoe in but given that I started watching Argyle properly in the early 80's I'd be interested to hear about the others.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Off the top of my head the 1975 promotion team:

Furnell, Hore, Burrows, Saxton, Delve, Green, Randall, Johnson, McAuley, Mariner, Rafferty.

Then thinking about it...

Sullivan for Burrows.
Machin for Delve.
Bason for Hore.
Silkman for Johnson.
Foster for Saxton.

Leaving:

Furnell

Bason Foster Green Sullivan

Silkman Randall Machin McAuley

Mariner Rafferty

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Barron

Provan
Craven
Sutton
Sullivan

Hall
Randell
Machin
McCauley

Mariner
Rafferty
Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Furnell was a great obviously but the cat, Pat Dunne, on his day was unbelievable. So, Dunne a good sub.
I would definitely go for Machin, no doubt, but the cultured Dave Burnside would have to be in the eleven. Soooooo many good midfielders in those days. Gary Megson was quality, and I couldn't believe we signed Brian Hall, he was a regular in the great Liverpool era, he was so efortless, and not in a Roobs way I might add. Silkman was flashy and a huge entertainer, but he wouldn't get my vote. And here's a heresy. I might just think of Alan Welsh instead of Billy Rafferty. Unplayable on his day.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:01 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Barron

Provan
Craven
Sutton
Sullivan

Hall
Randell
Machin
McCauley

Mariner
Rafferty

I toyed with Provan at RB.

I don't recall Craven at all.

Stunned by Sutton.

Barron... we had a few good young 'keepers: Aleksic and Hodge also spring to mind (or were they 80s?).

Tempted to put Binney and Kemp up front just for shitz 'n' giggles!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Lord Biro wrote:
Furnell was a great obviously but the cat, Pat Dunne, on his day was unbelievable. So, Dunne a good sub.
I would definitely go for Machin, no doubt, but the cultured Dave Burnside would have to be in the eleven. Soooooo many good midfielders in those days. Gary Megson was quality, and I couldn't believe we signed Brian Hall, he was a regular in the great Liverpool era, he was so efortless, and not in a Roobs way I might add. Silkman was flashy and a huge entertainer, but he wouldn't get my vote. And here's a heresy. I might just think of Alan Welsh instead of Billy Rafferty. Unplayable on his day.

Was Burnside 70s though? I don't remember him at all.

And Megson... 80s maybe? Could be wrong...
Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:15 pm

You're wrong, but only just. 1970ish I think for Burnside.
One more thing. I would have Steve Davey in there out wide. Excellent wing man who scored plenty.  Underrated possibly. He could do a utility job too in defence, so that's always handy. Was it him that played in goal once ?
I would keep the Saxton and Green thing. Saxton was a real tough nut. He never gave up. Talked like a girl though.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:25 pm

I wasn't ever much of a Megson fan.

Nobody ever curled a corner into the wrongside of the nearpost netting with the unerring accuracy that he could muster.

How about David Phillips? Wasn't he about the same era? I liked him.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Barron

Provan
Craven
Sutton
Sullivan

Hall
Randell
Machin
McCauley

Mariner
Rafferty

I toyed with Provan at RB.

I don't recall Craven at all.

Stunned by Sutton.

Barron... we had a few good young 'keepers: Aleksic and Hodge also spring to mind (or were they 80s?).

Tempted to put Binney and Kemp up front just for shitz 'n' giggles!

Craven was a versatile tough guy with a bit of class about him as well, had a very distinguished career at top level. Sutton is probably a surprise but I rated him very highly and he would provide a good balance as the ball winning centre back alongside Craven-Sutton also did very well later in his career at a decent level with Huddersfield.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:30 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Nobody ever curled a corner into the wrongside of the nearpost netting with the unerring accuracy that he could muster.

Phillips was 1980's,total class player.
Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:36 pm

And then there was Micky Horswill. Probably let his effervescence get the better of him down here having hit the heights elsewhere, but I would take him in our present set up in a flash for anyone, including Carey. A big physical presence and a good talker. Hit a good strong deliberate pass.
Although he wouldn't replace Rafferty, I also thought Bickle was underrated because of his comedic value. He nearly scored 1 every 2 games for Argyle and had one helluva shot on him. It's enough to make you weep when you think of the 70s at Argyle compared to the dross of the last 7 or 8 years, post Holloway
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:42 pm

I saw Horswill get booked after 7 seconds in one match.

A poor man's Robbie Savage.
Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:48 pm

It's the mad hair thing jocolor
You're probably right, Savage would have the edge, but then he probably took the game more seriously.
I've just looked up a few recent photos of Micky. All gone now. Time waits for nobody. Still got the grin.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 8:06 am

Didn't Horswill deliberately get himself sent off in the game v Bradford that was abandoned when the ref got frostbite?

Please don't tell me that is wrong even if it is.

I think I remember the 7 second booking. Having left Argyle Horswill came back with someone else (I forget who). The game kicked off and he crunched somebody immediately with what could only have been a pre-meditated assault which would surely have seen him arrested had it happened on the street.
Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Interesting to see Ernie Machin feature. He was our next door neighbour when I was about 3 and he was Argyle's captain. My Dad says he was not only a class player but also a good bloke. Apparently didn't want to leave.

Dad also says he has memories of Paul Mariner turning up at Machin's in a beat up old mini.
Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Difficult one, but here's mine

Really torn between Furnell and Dunne

Dave Provan, Bobby Saxton, Mike Green, Colin Sullivan

Dave Burnside , Johnny Hore, Duncan Neale, Nicky Jennings

Paul Mariner, Billy Rafferty
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 9:33 am

Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Phillips was 1980's,total class player.

Indeed. Didn't he win goal of the month 2 or 3 times running for Man City?
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Didn't Horswill deliberately get himself sent off in the game v Bradford that was abandoned when the ref got frostbite?

Please don't tell me that is wrong even if it is.

I think I remember the 7 second booking. Having left Argyle Horswill came back with someone else (I forget who). The game kicked off and he crunched somebody immediately with what could only have been a pre-meditated assault which would surely have seen him arrested had it happened on the street.

Megson was the one crunched if I remember correctly....
Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 5:43 pm

I committed a few of those tackles in my time.  Laughing
Friio was one who would suddenly launch himself, too.
You just decide that's how it is, you have history with the player, and you decide you're going to put matters straight. Probably were eyeing him up since kick off, but sometimes it's a spur of the moment. It does not necessarily have to be against the laws of the game, there are always ways to be legal. It is a contact sport, but sometimes the referee just doesn't agree.
These things are markers and important if you're going to compete, like cats spraying., and all a bit ice hockey without the padding and helmets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1970's Argyle Team Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970's Argyle Team   1970's Argyle Team Empty

Back to top Go down

1970's Argyle Team
Page 1 of 1