Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............

Go down 
+11
Freathy
harvetheslayer
green_genie
Rickler
argyl3
sufferedsince 68
Lord Melbury
Richard Blight
Jon L
Punchdrunk
Tgwu
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 am

I have to admit, when Brent and his doomed HHP project was announced, much to the anal delight of his cohorts, The only thing I took interest and thought (at the time) was worthwhile was an ice rink. The GS was shite from the off, imho.

It (would) have been a great asset to the city if Muff had a decent concert venue/pro ice hockey team.

Still, that's all horshite now, init!! nevermind. At least we can all take comfort knowing Jimbo is talking to prospective investors on a daily basis re our shiny new GS. No doubt an announcement is imminent.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 6:32 pm

I honestly can't work out if this is an April Fool or not.

If it is then Brent must be fuming to be the butt of such a joke; if it isn't then plastering it all over the front of the Herald makes it look so which is also something of a sleight on His Brentness - and you have to applaud how subtly it has been done. So it probably isn't.

Which means there must be something in it except the hoary old question of where the money is going to come from raises its head yet again because word is that the source of the fall-out between Tudor and Brent was the council slapping £5m on the table for Brent to match which he couldn't. Which was bad enough but Brent then manked that PCC was "only putting £5m down" at which point he realised doublequick that he'd badly misread the vibes in the room.

So rumour has it anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 7:07 pm

HIGNFY wrote:

It (would) have been a great asset to the city if Muff had a decent concert venue/pro ice hockey team.

Why's that then HIGNFY ?
There's never been a call for a sustainable professional ice hockey team in Plymouth, let alone a concert venue to attract gigs that really don't see the point of coming further West than Bristol. Build it and they will come is so Kevin Costner. The 1980s/90s have come and gone.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 7:35 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
because word is that the source of the fall-out between Tudor and Brent was the council slapping £5m on the table for Brent to match which he couldn't. Which was bad enough but Brent then manked that PCC was "only putting £5m down" at which point he realised doublequick that he'd badly misread the vibes in the room.

So rumour has it anyway.

LOL...   Any substance to back this up?  I can't see anyway the council are ever giving Brent five mill.
This is the sort of rubbish made up by drunks in a pub.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Suit yourself.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 9:42 pm

[quote="Rickler"]
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
because word is that the source of the fall-out between Tudor and Brent was the council slapping £5m on the table for Brent to match which he couldn't. Which was bad enough but Brent then manked that PCC was "only putting £5m down" at which point he realised doublequick that he'd badly misread the vibes in the room.

So rumour has it anyway.[/quot

LOL...   Any substance to back this up?  I can't see anyway the council are ever giving Brent five mill.

The council wouldn't be allowed to just give Argyle £5 million. They would have to show a return on their money. Probably increased rents and possibly a share of the profits from the facilities within a new stand. I suspect it was what the council wanted in return for putting the up the money to build the grandstand that caused the alleged disagreement between club and council.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Nice usage of "alleged" there.

I suppose it has to be thus until someone goes on the record with this but there's no real need for the "alleged".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Lord Biro wrote:
HIGNFY wrote:

Why's that then HIGNFY ?
There's never been a call for a sustainable professional ice hockey team in Plymouth, let alone a concert venue to attract gigs that really don't see the point of coming further West than Bristol. Build it and they will come is so Kevin Costner. The 1980s/90s have come and gone.

So let's start a pro ice hockey team and see how it goes! Just because we haven't had one doesn't mean it won't be a success. On a personal note, I think it would generate huge interest. As far as a decent concert venue goes, I think the SW (farther south than Brizzle) has been crying out for a decent concert venue ever since the demise of the much love Cornwall coliseum.
Back to top Go down
Graham Clark

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 10:49 am

Rickler wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

So rumour has it anyway.

SFD's source is impeccable being close to the Council hierarchy. It wasn't money to the club it was money towards enhancing a Council owned asset paid for by an increased rent over the lease period. Much like the £800,000 loan offer to the club which was running parallel at the time although that of course was for a specific football club purpose.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 12:54 pm

How would GC know who my sources are?

However, I guess that's "Chalk another one up to Frankie Boy", eh Rickler?

You should move back to the UK then you too could find things out and post them instead of whining like a bitch from the other side of the pond at every opportunity you get.

Has it not yet sunk in to your sphere of cognisance that if I post such stuff then I'm as certain as certain can be that it is true?

And have I not been shown to be right virtually every time?

FFS lighten up, man! It just isn't possible to link to every last thing y'know.

One day I'll quite possibly be totally wrong about something and when/if that happens then fill yer feckin boots. Until then wise up, sunshine, and move default mode from "sneer at Frankie every chance you get" to "holy cow he just might be right (because he usually is)".

Got it?

Last edited by Sir Francis Drake on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
How would GC know who my sources are?

However, I guess that's "Chalk another one up to Frankie Boy", eh Rickler?

You should move back to the UK then you too could find things out and post them instead of whining like a bitch from the other side of the pond at every opportunity you get.

Has it not yet sunk in to your sphere of cognisance that if I post such stuff then I'm as certain as certain can be that it is true?

And have I not been shown to be right virtually every time?

FFS lighten up, man! It just isn't possible to link to every last thing y'know.

One day I'll quite possibly be totally wrong about something and when/if that happens then fill yer feckin boots. Until then wise up, sunshine, and move default mode form "sneer at Frankie every chance you get" to "holy cow he just might be right (because he usually is)".

Got it?

So the bottom line - you know someone at the Council who tells you stuff, yeah?

Well done you. Congrats.

It doesn't make you some sort of Nostradamus, or All-Seeing Eye. You're passing on stuff someone has told you.

If anything, it makes it a little bit sinister and agenda-led, in that this person is telling you stuff in full knowledge that you'll come on here to drop snippets to the plebs.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:14 pm

I didn't say I knew anybody at the council because to the best of my knowledge I don't.

Someone else said that.

So more "no" than "yeah", yeah?

Last edited by Sir Francis Drake on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Sorry. I do know somebody at the council: Maddi Bridgman (UKIP - Estover/Leigham/Mainstone). Silly of me to forget her because i have known her for over 30 years.

Not that any of this has anything to do with her but I do know somebody at the council, sorry. I didn't mean to mislead.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:28 pm

A play on words. "At the Council", "close to the Council hierarchy".

Doesn't really matter which, does it?

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:40 pm

Nor does it matter who it is. In fact my posts are more an amalgam from a variety of very random sources, rather than just one, which probably only have me to connect them. GC wouldn't have a clue who they were/are. Nobody could. It's impossible.

As for why I get told these things by somebody then I can't really say. You'd have to ask them but I'll never tell you who they are so you'll have to just trust me.

Or, alternatively, I'll never post anything again about any of it. The loser will be openness and transparency. In fact you seem to be advocating a "just trust in Stapes" approach to everything: don't ask; don't pry; we are not worthy - they know best just let them get on with it. That might do it for you but it doesn't do it for me. Perhaps ATD isn't really the site for you? There is another. Why not try that?

Everybody who tells anybody anything always does so for a reason. Tony Benn once suggested that the important considerations to assessing information were:

who is telling me this?
why are they telling me this?
what do they have to gain from telling me this?

(I paraphrase)

I thought we were grown up enough around here to apply those filters from the start as a matter of course so I'm not sure why you're flinging them at me now. So as far as you are concerned then it is me telling you this because I think it is important that as fans we know what is going on and I have sod all to gain personally from doing so.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:52 pm

I've just tried to recall any actual groundbreaking news you've brought us Franny. All that springs to mind is this - red hot news that Argyle wouldn't be signing a player (Ben Chilwell) who's played for Prem Champs-elect Leicester this season a few times Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:53 pm

How about Nikkk going bust?
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Ahh but he didn't go bust (Allegedly)

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:59 pm

He went bust and we've seen the documents that prove it.

If that's not good enough for you then nothing ever will be.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I don't recall, tbh.

Topically, how 'up' on his current situation are you? Are you aware of how it may be changing quite significantly in the coming weeks or months?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 2:11 pm

No idea at all.

And I wouldn't like to speculate without any foundation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I don't recall, tbh.

Topically, how 'up' on his current situation are you? Are you aware of how it may be changing quite significantly in the coming weeks or months?

Maybe this will refresh your memory

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Happy to help
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
No idea at all.

And I wouldn't like to speculate without any foundation.

No problem. If you'd like to know, drop me a PM.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Homeslice wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I don't recall, tbh.

Maybe this will refresh your memory

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Happy to help

Thanks. I had genuinely not recalled btw. What with that being 2013 and all that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Poor old Sir Francis gets an undeserved bad ride from some of you on here. Especially Ricks, where it's 100% personal, and has been for many years. I can't think why else the spitting would ensue upon a straight forward post.
As for Nikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkyboy, I couldn't care less what is happening to the character. Well, actually that's not quite true. Because of his history, and the business he inhabits, I'm not a fan of him being anywhere near the football club. But thenthat's easily solved. If I don't like who hangs out at a particular place, I just go elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............   Yay - we're getting an ice rink.............. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yay - we're getting an ice rink..............
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next