Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tringreen

Tringreen

First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ Empty
PostSubject: First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........   First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 7:00 am

From GOS 'on this day'

1960: Argyle beat Bristol Rovers 5-2 in front of over 17,000 at Eastville. The team that day: Barnsley, Wyatt, Fulton, Williams, Fincham, Newman, Anderson, Carter, Kirby, McAnearney, Maloy.

Two wingers [played golf with one of them], two superb inside forwards and a classic centre forward. Remember 'Bugsy' frequently allowing a pass go through his legs for a throw in. laugh

See........... I was a fan once upon a time.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........   First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 7:26 am

Happy days, remember it well.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........   First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 7:51 am

My debut was about 4 years later-i do remember it was a 0-0 draw against Huddersfield but details are very sketchy-i was only 4 at the time.People like Newman,Lord,McClaren etc were probably playing,maybe Malcolm Allison was manager-must look it up.For years after,it was unthinkable to me that Argyle could slip any lower than the old second division-little did i know.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........   First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 8:51 am

My first was 1956 Argyle 1 Lincoln City 0 to avoid relegation under Jack Rowley, went down the next season anyway.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........   First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 10:26 am

Greenskin wrote:
My debut was about 4 years later-i do remember it was a 0-0 draw against Huddersfield but details are very sketchy-i was only 4 at the time.People like Newman,Lord,McClaren etc were probably playing,maybe Malcolm Allison was manager-must look it up.For years after,it was unthinkable to me that Argyle could slip any lower than the old second division-little did i know.

Indeed. As a potentially large city club, with an attendance history to match initially, along with Hull City we fell away from clubs like Southampton and Norwich as they made the step up and cemented their respective fanbasesin the 60's and 70's.
Four decades or so later, with Hull and Argyle in the Championship, we didn't go for promotion under Holloway, they did and the rest is painful history.
PAFC now the largest city club never to have reached the top flight and still the parochial dimwits down on the farm blame stay away janners. The problem now is that the club's active, ever present fanbase, is made up largely of easily led , low grade fanfest types with more buckets than brains and a penchant for a photo shoot.
Combine that with a non investing owner, a messy and uninspiring stadium/facilities and the wider public are simply not interested in being part of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........   First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 7:37 pm

60/61 season for me, I know it was Stoke City at home and a win I think, but can't remember too much.

But Christ what it is to read those names again, Williams, Fincham, Newman and that forward line Tring mentions - majic, although I don't recall Bugsy being a regular, I remember we also had a Billy Wright who was a winger and haven't we had some wingers over the years, Anderson, Jennings, Corbett, Jones.
Happy Days
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........   First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........ Empty

Back to top Go down

First Argyle side I remember watching regularly........
Page 1 of 1