steveinspain
Tgwu
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tigertony

tigertony

Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Elias wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Since when has a point away from home been a bad thing?  Miserable b'stards.

We re slowly slipping down it seems
Are you Freathy's love child ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 8:55 pm

Not exactly champing at the bit for Tuesday night, probably another draw.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 10:18 pm

how come punchdrunk deleted himself again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Shite game today - bossed virtually everything but couldn't find that find that finishing touch, powderpuff stuff & Mansfield looks a proper grim northern you know what!!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Angry wrote:
how come punchdrunk deleted himself again?

No idea.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 am

It may feel like two points lost, but any away point is a solid point.

I can't believe some on the farm are wrist splitting over keeping a clean sheet and getting a point away at a midtable side.

The continuum through the start of the season ithat we are outplaying the opposition repeatedly. We may not always get e win or a clean sheet, but the verdict is usually that we are the better side. Apart from Pompey at home (the current league leaders) and Stevenage away, we have turned up.

It bodes well, in my opinion. We're a good side across the pitch and there doesn't look many better sides in the division. Big ifs, I know, but if the ref gives the penalty on Brunt last week and Reuben's volley is 6 inches lower today, we are top with points to burn. Of course it doesn"t work out like that, but on reflection of the matches it wouldn't have been a surprise to have won both of those games.

Home and away Adams has got us looking the better side and playing the better football. Long may it continue.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 am

ejh wrote:

I can't believe some on the farm are wrist splitting over keeping a clean sheet and getting a point away at a midtable side.

The continuum through the start of the season ithat we are outplaying the opposition repeatedly. We may not always get e win or a clean sheet, but the verdict is usually that we are the better side. Apart from Pompey at home (the current league leaders) and Stevenage away, we have turned up.

It bodes well, in my opinion. We're a good side across the pitch and there doesn't look many better sides in the division. Big ifs, I know, but if the ref gives the penalty on Brunt last week and Reuben's volley is 6 inches lower today, we are top with points to burn. Of course it doesn"t work out like that, but on reflection of the matches it wouldn't have been a surprise to have won both of those games.

Home and away Adams has got us looking the better side and playing the better football. Long may it continue.
In a nutshell Thumbs
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 7:07 am

ejh wrote:

Can't argue with that I suppose.

Argyle just need to hang on in there and keep plugging away.

Portsmouth top of the league then, media will be happy with that no doubt.

Tuesday will be another interesting game for the greens I am sure. A game they could do with winning really, just to keep up the pace like.

I worry that the side could slide down to 8th, 9th or 10th position over the coming weeks or so. It happens as we all know, teams have a good start, then fall away and are up against it for awhile.

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 7:27 am

Looking at the league table, it certainly looks tight in there and you can even go down to the teams on 10pts and say that if they put together two or three wins, then they are up in the mix.

Come the end of October, and way into November and december, that league table will look a lot different from what it does now.

Adams said he is not bothered about the league table at present. So what is he looking at then, February, March and April, is that the moment that your side must cement itself into the top 7 or higher. Flirting in or around the top half, even if falling away at some point and then fighting your way back up.

I do worry that Argyle could slide down to 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or lower and then struggle perhaps, as teams who are below them at the moment break away and open up a possible gap. Does this Argyle team have the capability of clawing its way back up should the above happen, they should do really, I feel that they have got it in them to do so.

Luton Town are bound to get it together sooner or later and climb the table. Teams like Northampton and Mansfield are dark horses and I would not write them off at the moment. Newport could click and storm up league, but on 5pts it would dramatic turnaround for them.

Accrington and Morecambe in the top half. Fair shout to them. Will they last the pace though, I do not think they will, I reckon they will fall away eventually.

Wycombe are probably in a position you would have thought they would be in, and Orient.  Portsmouth are in a good position and is difficult to see them f... up big time and have major drop.

Is now the time where the league table starts to go topsy-turvy, with sides trying their hardest to get some kind of advantage leading up to the new year and beyond. You can't write any team off at this stage and further down line for that matter.

The next two/three months are going to be crucial for all sides.

Injuries and suspensions will take hold at some stage (even for Argyle), pitches will start to look less appealing and awkward to play on. We have a small squad, any injuries and suspensions will cripple Argyle, unless they can get in a loan or two in January ?.

Two weeks on the trot now that had they won, they would be top of shop.

I suppose having 17pts is not a bad return so far, but.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 8:29 am

VillageGreen wrote:
ejh wrote:

Can't argue with that I suppose.

Argyle just need to hang on in there and keep plugging away.

Portsmouth top of the league then, media will be happy with that no doubt.

Tuesday will be another interesting game for the greens I am sure. A game they could do with winning really, just to keep up the pace like.

I worry that the side could slide down to 8th, 9th or 10th position over the coming weeks or so. It happens as we all know, teams have a good start, then fall away and are up against it for awhile.

Never......3 wins on the trot now foreshore.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 8:45 am

Simple question.....Would we have taken the current points and position prior to start of the Season. Any further comment would be Superfluous Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 8:59 am

harvetheslayer wrote:
Simple question.....Would we have taken the current points and position prior to start of the Season. Any further comment would be Superfluous Very Happy

True Harv...I think what happens though is that peoples expectations rise when a favorable string of performances and results come about. The last two performances haven't been to the same standard as what has gone before. We've got two points from them, but anything other than three points on Tuesday will be disappointing and three consecutive draws would be a tad frustrating, given early season form.

If there is a worry, it may be that teams have sussed us out a little. Let's hope not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 10:07 am

The team is quite capable of scoring a few. Sometimes it just doesn't go in. Not a bad result, and I guess Adams is getting to know his options. Dear Jim, can I have another player now.

My only memory of Mansfield is breaking down there, (with 7 of us in a Ford something, Zephr ? stupid )on the way to Leeds to see the great Revie team play us in the FA Cup. Dirty town, dirty players, dirty fans, but what a great footballing team they were as well. The second best team ever behind the Liverpool Dalgleish/Heighway/Keegan days.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 10:51 am

harvetheslayer wrote:

Good point.

Yeah, I would have taken that if it was offered back in late July/early August.

None of us really knew what to expect so it is refreshing to see Argyle up there in top five. Adams has said that League Two surpassed his expectations and he admits it looks a strong League.

I can agree with other teams sussing Argyle so early on in the season. Perhaps Adams can weave his magic and shake it up bit, perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 11:13 am

ejh wrote:

This!

For the first time in years, I'm annoyed when I can't get to a game. I'm missing the next two home matches and not happy about it. Looking forward to the visit of our morally superior neighbours on Tuesday week.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 11:31 am

Even though I left Mansfield slightly disappointed yesterday, the fact remains that if Reid's volley after 5 minutes had gone in, instead of hitting the bar or Brunt had scored with a header that looked easier to score than miss or one of the other shots that flashed past posts had gone in; Argyle would now be top.

It wasn't a flowing performance, Argyle started well and could have been one or two up after half an hour. Mansfield came more into the last 15 minutes of the first half. The fact neither keeper had to make a real save says something.

The second half was more huffing and puffing from both sides. Graham Carey twice tried to beat Brian Jensen at his near post with free kicks from wide positions. A little optimistic considering Brian Jensen's experience. Both sides had some chances without any real 'should have scored ones'.

All in all Argyle looked the better side but lacked a killer instinct in front of goal and at times looked to be lacking in the final third.

Too many crosses are over hit or they are aimed at nobody in particular. Final passes aren't finding the front men. The front man is looking isolated too often.

Compared to last season though, there is certainly an improvement. The back is still looking solid and the midfield has certainly improved. It's up front that is inconsistent at the moment. At times it looks good. At times it is lacking something. The players out wide are often too wide and the man in the centre is isolated. One or two of the wide men's season hasn't yet ignited, only showing flashes of potential to come.

The season is starting to settle down. If Argyle continue in the same manner we will end up somewhere in the top 7 or 8. Iron out some of the inconsistencies in the final third, maybe add a more natural goalscorer ( I know their gold dust) in January and Argyle could finish in the top three.

Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 am

And don't forget the blatant handball in the box.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 1:15 pm

We've had two 'disappointing' draws from the jaws of victory, and we are still averaging (a shade under) 2 points a game, currently.

True to form we should have taken more from the previous two games, which would have us positioned nicely at averaging more than 2 points a game.

Over a 46 game season, we could be looking at a 90+ point season, if the injury gods and the lasso on Brent's chequebook don't strangle us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 1:37 pm

I was warning about being Sussed earlier in the season and it is a problem with a small squad, hopefully it is a blip and well win more than we lose but we might see a lot more teams stopping us winning then the playoffs will beckon again, id still like to see another couple of useful players added to the squad especially with Mchugh out.
Before anybody tries to put words in my mouth sure I'd take this position at the start of the season but I'm long in enough in the tooth to have seen a good start or two in the past and they don't all lead to the promised land, get your wallet out Brent (or at least add to your bucket list for the trust and the GTs.)
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
ejh wrote:

This!

For the first time in years, I'm annoyed when I can't get to a game. I'm missing the next two home matches and not happy about it. Looking forward to the visit of our morally superior neighbours on Tuesday week.

I may pop along to that one, don't know yet.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 1:53 pm

Guest wrote:
I was warning about being Sussed earlier in the season and it is a problem with a small squad, hopefully it is a blip and well win more than we lose but we might see a lot more teams stopping us winning then the playoffs will beckon again, id still like to see another couple of useful players added to the squad especially with Mchugh out.
Before anybody tries to put words in my mouth sure I'd take this position at the start of the season but I'm long in enough in the tooth to have seen a good start or two in the past and they don't all lead to the promised land, get your wallet out Brent (or at least add to your bucket list for the trust and the GTs.)

Falling away from the top positions is a concern, it happens, we have seen it.

Oxford were really good at it awhile back. There was that season when they were coasting League Two this early in the season and everybody was saying what a good team they had back then and would probably wrap It all up by middle to late doors. It went tits up for them in end though. Last season was not great one for them.

We are not even in to the pressure stages of season yet, that will be February, March and April 2016 or late doors. A lot of football to be played between now and then. Luton Town, Exeter City, Bristol Rovers, Newport County et al, they could so easily hit some kind of form, especially Luton Town, what with the players they did sign over the summer. I would view Luton Town as big threat tbh and they seem to be moving in right direction at last.

If Portsmouth do a have prolonged spell at the top, i wonder if they will have a wobble later in the season, a middle to late doors thing. You can see a Corporal Jones and a don't panic scenario setting in as they slide downwards. That would cheer up a great deal.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Let's not get too stressed about yesterday. Clean sheets are always welcome and a point away from home is OK.

The important thing is to keep on picking up points and with 3 home games on the trot to come we're looking good.

I'm not at all worried about the small squad. We're not the only ones to suffer from that and it's much better than having players who don't play.

What's the story with Cox though? He did well when he came on as sub last week and was back on the bench yesterday. If I were him I'd be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 2:25 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Let's not get too stressed about yesterday. Clean sheets are always welcome and a point away from home is OK.

The important thing is to keep on picking up points and with 3 home games on the trot to come we're looking good.

I'm not at all worried about the small squad. We're not the only ones to suffer from that and it's much better than having players who don't play.

What's the story with Cox though? He did well when he came on as sub last week and was back on the bench yesterday. If I were him I'd be disappointed.

I am not stressed, just a tad peed that they did not go for the win. Perhaps the team are having an off spell which could last awhile or it will fizzle out soon and it is back to all guns firing.

There are tougher games ahead, that is for sure. The game on Tuesday could see Argyle rectify the last two games, if that is the case, then good all round performances and a few goals will satisfy Adams, the team and the fans.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 4:18 pm

Guest wrote:

Who posted this?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 4:38 pm

God knows
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mansfield Town Match Thread   Mansfield Town Match Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mansfield Town Match Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next