mouldyoldgoat
Sir Francis Drake
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Legends at Home park - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legends at Home park   Legends at Home park - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 11:26 am

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
For what it's worth, Butcher is a British/English/Ipswich football legend.

He is not a World football legend.

You need more than a lions heart to be an icon.

Judging from the thread title that's not a pre-requisite to get a mention, is it?

As it goes, I would agree that Moore >>>>> the next best CB is a fair old chasm. Bears a striking resemblance to Mariner >>>>> next best Argyle striker.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Legends at Home park   Legends at Home park - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 pm

True. However you could make a case for Tommy Tynan to be included. Where do you draw the line.

Butcher's fine, but don't compare him to Moore.

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Legends at Home park   Legends at Home park - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Tynan quite possibly is the next best after Mariner, certainly in modern times. But yeah there is a massive gap from being a great striker at league1/CCC level as Tynan was, to being a fully fledged England striker. I suppose you could say that Mariner hadn't yet started for England while still with us, mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legends at Home park   Legends at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Tynan quite possibly is the next best after Mariner, certainly in modern times. But yeah there is a massive gap from being a great striker at league1/CCC level as Tynan was, to being a fully fledged England striker. I suppose you could say that Mariner hadn't yet started for England while still with us, mind.

I don't Mariner was as good as the other leading English striking options at that time. Francis, Woodcock and Keegan I thought were much better. I also didn't think he was as good as the likes of David Johnson or Garry Birtles. Although he was certainly better than Peter Withe, who to this day I have no idea how he got in the 1982 World Cup squad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Legends at Home park   Legends at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Elton John played at home park once he was an well known international star.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legends at Home park   Legends at Home park - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Legends at Home park
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2