The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PC/Laptop Repair.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PC/Laptop Repair..... Empty
PostSubject: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 3:40 pm

I need to try and sort these Laptops out which in simple tems are full of bugs, shit and God knows what else.

Norton Virus Remover claims there are no Virus' on them (there were in the past) but all 3 are slow, freezing etc etc....On the laptop you can "reset" the Laptop "back in time"
In the past I have been able to put it back 6 months or whatever without losing pics etc but now seems I can only get to go back few weeks which isnt curing current issues.

What else can I run "free" to see if it cures some or all of the problems  ?? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 4:05 pm

I would download this
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
then move it to your desktop and run it.

After down and run the free version of this

Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 5:50 pm

OK have run it does appear to be slightly better so thanks for that
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Save all docs, photos, music etc to somewhere external.

Create new User accounts at Admin and Not Admin level.

Delete the all old User accounts in use.

Use the Not Admin one thereafter and load back all the files you saved earlier.

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Download Revo Unistaller and uninstall any programs (especially games, toolbars or search options) you don't need.

Download CCleaner.

In the Tools tab select Start Up menu and disable any programs that load automatically that you don't need (be ruthless - nothing will be deleted and can be enabled again).

Open up Task Manager and see what is actually running. Lots of things will be there and if nothing is obvious Google each one to see what it is for. If there's a nasty Google to see how it can be removed.

Try to uninstall all anti-virus, Spyware etc. If you have more than one then they may conflict with each other and slow everything down horribly.

Might as well delete all temp files, cookies etc and run defrag too.

Change your browser and uninstall (use Revo again) the old one. Whatever you normally use change to something else that is brand new and clean.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Kinell Frank........harv, drive on to the Tamar bridge(either end) and as you approach the middle fully wind down the window, grab piece of electronic shite and retract your arm to the tennis backhand position, when you're ready fling the twat out as hard as you can. Wind window back up, look straight ahead and adopt the 'I know nothing' expression, proceed to nearest purveyor of electronic shite and replace 'lost item'.....................or you could just back up your photos, music, etc to external hard drive, reformat the hard drive on yer lappy and do a fresh install of windows(if you have the disk, or you can download it) should be as good as new after that. If you don't know how to do it befriend a geek geek
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Kinell Frank........harv, drive on to the Tamar bridge(either end) and as you approach the middle fully wind down the window, grab piece of electronic shite and retract your arm to the tennis backhand position, when you're ready fling the twat out as hard as you can. Wind window back up, look straight ahead and adopt the 'I know nothing'  expression, proceed to nearest purveyor of electronic shite and replace 'lost item'.....................or you could just back up your photos, music, etc to external hard drive, reformat the hard drive on yer lappy and do a fresh install of windows(if you have the disk, or you can download it) should be as good as new after that. If you don't know how to do it befriend a geek geek

I know how to do a factory reset on it as had real problem after 2 months from new but didn't have much on it to lose so to speak. I can save all Photos/downloads to CD but have probably 500 Plus bookmarks and from memory you lose them ??
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Kinell Frank........harv, drive on to the Tamar bridge(either end) and as you approach the middle fully wind down the window, grab piece of electronic shite and retract your arm to the tennis backhand position, when you're ready fling the twat out as hard as you can. Wind window back up, look straight ahead and adopt the 'I know nothing'  expression, proceed to nearest purveyor of electronic shite and replace 'lost item'.....................or you could just back up your photos, music, etc to external hard drive, reformat the hard drive on yer lappy and do a fresh install of windows(if you have the disk, or you can download it) should be as good as new after that. If you don't know how to do it befriend a geek geek

I know how to do a factory reset on it as had real problem after 2 months from new but didn't have much on it to lose so to speak. I can save all Photos/downloads to CD but have probably 500 Plus bookmarks and from memory you lose them ??

Could be worth a try if you're still having problems, saving stuff to CD isn't ideal though, iirc they have about 700mb capacity, a standard DVD has about 4.7gb but ideally an external hard drive is best, depends how much stuff you need to back up I suppose. As for the bookmarks, I'm not 100% sure but I think with google you can transfer them from 1 device to another if your logged into a google account or something, can anyone confirm?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Exporting bookmarks is different for each browser but it's easily done.

This should help: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 6:30 am

Thanks for all responses
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 4:22 pm

Anybody tried windows10? I have windows XP on my old computer and am wondering should I update?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 pm

I'm not sure that XP -> W10 is an option but if it is then do it but leave it a couple of months.

There's bound to be some buggy nonsense in a new OS so leave it a while so that the early adopters get the hassle then update once it is all sorted out.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Well I have a new laptop purchased this week with windows 8 which I have not got used to yet, so was thinking of upgrading both computers to windows 10.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 7:12 pm

A no brainer, 8 was abysmal, early reviews of 10 are good and it's a free upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks for that Sir Frank. Most illuminating.
I bought a new Windows phone because I was fed up with the Android spying and bloatware. While I understand there is always some info farmed by these OS manufacturers, Microsoft were obviously behind the game, and that suited me.
Looks like they're about to go down the Google route. Think I'll now give W10 a miss, and am looking into an open source code OS system for my online stuf. I can keep all my "tool" apps on a Windows system.
I really, really, really don't like where all this information mining is leading. I'm seriously thinking of going offline, but that's not easy, and use some archaic Nokia PAYG antique. This spying really isn't acceptable. I have known for a long time that "govt agencies", including even your local Council, have been able to spy on all all sort of private communications. That is bad enough, but the thought that private companies are starting to do it even more obtrusively really is something I will not tolerate. What's to stop ne'er do wells like old man Hoopersnooper and other stalkers buying all sort of things for a few pennies.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 9:32 pm

I think the issue here is one of functionality. Long ago Windows became reliable and stable and most of us don't use the vastly expanding functionality so it has little practical purpose.

Is there a huge bunch of people out there that really, really, really need W10? I doubt it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Most citizens don't need a lattee every day, but that doesn't stop them buying one.
People update because it's there and it's new. It's an easy hook.
On functionality issues, always best to reformat and reinstall the OS if one is irritated. And then go cold turkey on all those silly little apps.
Free/pirated registry/disc tools only do so much. Bloating is a real real issue where functionality is concerned. One's machine spends more time doing someone else's bidding than your own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PC/Laptop Repair.....   PC/Laptop Repair..... Empty

Back to top Go down

PC/Laptop Repair.....
Page 1 of 1