zyph
Greenskin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

The Open Empty
PostSubject: The Open   The Open EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 9:42 am

Starts tomorrow, cracking days sport with the Ashes as well. Can Mr Speith pull off his third major of the year? Certainly wouldn't put it past him, he won the USPGA tournament last week and must have confidence pouring out of him at the moment. For the sake of it, i'll go for a surprise choice and pick Paul Casey to win but if I had to put my life savings on it, then Speith would be my choice. Should be a cracker anyway-bad weather on Friday which could make things interesting, Tom Watson's last Open as well-a true great and true gentleman, sad to see him go but all things must pass I suppose.
Back to top Go down

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 8:42 pm

I guess the silence is deafening GS. No one cares about golf anymore. All the oldsters, bar you and pp, are togged up in their Wiggo lycra causing mayhem out on the Yelverton Rd
Golf has had it, even the retiring but rarely shy Peter Allis admitted to losing the bug. Empty stands at the home of golf. Golf is just so out of touch, nothing more than another staid local corporate day out topped off by a bad meal Tiger is a mess and I fear there are bigger demons to jump out.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 9:06 pm

John Hawkins wrote:
I guess the silence is deafening GS. No one cares about golf anymore. All the oldsters, bar you and pp, are togged up in their Wiggo lycra causing mayhem out on the Yelverton Rd
Golf has had it, even the retiring but rarely shy Peter Allis admitted to losing the bug. Empty stands at the home of golf. Golf is just so out of touch, nothing more than another staid local corporate day out topped off by a bad meal Tiger is a mess and I fear there are bigger demons to jump out.

Well they do say .....that it's a good walk spoilt.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 9:30 pm

John Hawkins wrote:

Funnily enough I played at Yelverton today [course was very busy in fact], no Lycra but had to execute a couple of quick trolley jogs across the road. Even odder was that there was a pretty good discussion on here about the Masters in April, maybe people are already getting bored with Spieth [best player never to win the Open Smile finishing on top. True to say that Golf is struggling with falling memberships-seem to remember there was a huge boom in the game in the early 1990's,maybe it's levelling off a bit today but quite a few other sports are in the same boat. Can't honestly say that the crowds at St Andrews seemed to be at all bad-there was a huge gallery there yesterday, although admission prices had been slashed. Perhaps it is out of touch but I still find it challenging and good post football and cricket fun-keeps me active if not fit and the people in our club are a pretty good and sociable bunch, always look forward to the tournaments, matches and events-had some pretty good meals as well, hopefully PP will have the frying pan at the ready for our return fixture on August 13th.Won't mention the score in the first encounter. Wink
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Similar to snooker, huge in the 70s and 80s but dying a slow death ever since in this country, however, in asia, particularly china it's massive and still growing.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 9:52 pm

My 11aside Saturday football team disbanded this summer too. No pitch; not enough players interested. It's the highlight of my week, I was gutted.

Cricket is also dying on it's arse.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 9:57 pm

The only sport growing in this country is dogging, there's clubs springing up everywhere.................apparently party animal
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Played today too, (I was gash).

I love the Majors but if it weren't for pure history, St Andrews Old Course would never host a regular tour competition, let alone The Open every five years.

Bit of an anti-climax this year too.

Just to add though, the European Tours flagship event, the PGA Championship at Wentworth goes from strength to strength. It's a fantastic event on a fantastic course and I've been quite a few times in recent years.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 1:28 pm

Cycling's the new golf now isn't it?
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

The Open Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Open   The Open EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Cornish Chris wrote: