zyph
X Isle
sufferedsince 68
Mock Cuncher
Greenskin
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Just back (Argyle V Newport) Empty
PostSubject: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 4:34 pm

If anyone is interested thought I'd give a little write up. Had a free afternoon so went along, good entertainment for a quid although had to buy an overpriced coffee to keep my hands warm.

Strong line ups for both sides, but especially Newport, as 9 of their starting 11 have played for them this season, Rene Howe the familiar target man for them. For Argyle, first team starters were Bittner, Bentley, Banton, Norburn, Thomas, Morgan & Brunt, with the younger lads Hall, Hughes, Moxham & Lane coming in.

I did notice the pitch seemed to be a bit bobbly and muddy in patches although I don't think it was watered before KO.

Argyle played a 442 for the entirety of the game.

Pretty much the first thing to happen was Banton falling injured and hobbling off, replaced by Roberts. Opening exchanges were a tad cagey, both sides trying to keep it on the deck but cut each other out, the first chance fell to Marvin who's effort was blocked, as was Brunt's soon after. Bittner was forced in to two comfortable saves as Newport began to get themselves into it and the opening goal soon came, a fine ball from the right powerfully headed home by the dangerous Howe, no chance for Bittner.

Thomas (who was struggling) made a very clumsy challenge on the Newport LB, the LB squared up to Thomas, who made a grab for the Newport player's neck. In a professional game, Thomas could have seen red, a yellow for the foul and a yellow for the reaction, quite silly.

A couple of wayward efforts for both sides passed before Marvin sent in a delightful cross and Brunt's header went ever so close, no matter, soon after, Marvin picked up the ball, held up the defender before curling a wonderful effort in to the top corner from 20-25 yards out, a fantastic last kick of the half.

At half time I was informed by two people that a Hartlepool United director was present.

The second half started well, both sides eager to claim the next goal and it was Argyle with the first chance, but Thomas's effort from 25 yards was well held by the Newport goalie. Newport then enjoyed play for a while, a decent low shot forced Bittner into a good save, before a Rene Howe header struck the post, Newport were no strangers to the woodwork and soon struck it again, a wonderful 30 yard effort, and Bittner made a fine save from the follow up effort. Then though it was our turn to attack, Morgan picked up a good ball from Hall, controlled when and forced the keeper to tip over, and he was at it again soon later when he beat the keeper with a chip but not the man on the line. However it looked to be Newport who would take the lead when Moxham lost his man, the Newport striker produced a powerful header but Bittner got down really well to save and hold. It was anyone's game now, and after good work from Thomas on the wing, a goalmouth scramble ensured, Marvin Morgan took the ball under control and finished cleverly, the win could have been made safe when the promising Rooney (on for Brunt) saw his effort trickle narrowly wide of the post.

Full time though, and plenty of positives to take.

Bittner - 8 - James played really well, good communication, distribution, and some good saves.

Hughes - 7 - He didn't have an awful lot to do, but he held the RB position well and looked safe on the ball.

Moxham - 7 - In a real game perhaps lower but I'll cut some slack as he had some really good moments as well as errors, good range of passing for a CB.

Bentley - 7 - Communicated well with his team mates, solid.

Hall - 7 - Thought the left back had a really average first half but really got in to it in the second with some good skill and some good passing.

Thomas - 5 - A dreadful first half but a much better second.

Norburn - 6 - A mixed game for Ollie although the CDM position doesn't suit him.

Lane - 5 - A little average, a poor first half followed by an alright second. Surprised to see him CM, thought he was a LB/LM.

Banton - NA

Brunt - 6 - He's clearly very strong, good in the air, but poor with the ball at his feet.

Morgan - 8 - MOTM for me. I don't blame him if he wants out, despite him being our best player and scoring 2 good goals, fans were still on his back despite the small crowd as well, one man yelled "go sign somewhere else" when he missed a chance, pathetic. Marvin's movement was good, his control good, and his goals well taken. Good luck wherever he goes!

Subs:

Roberts - 4 - he was on for most of the game and I didn't see anything from him, some poor crosses about all I remember.

Rooney - 6 - Bright, lively, good passing, probably should have had a goal but he's one for the future.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Agree in general with you there Cobi, only that I thought the full backs weren't good at all defensively and the midfield two were both better than that, 7's for them, 6 for the full backs.

Marv's first goal was absolutely stunning, and he had a quite good game I feel but there were still too many moments of you know.. Marvin Morgan.

A decent performance that. How Thomas wasn't sent off I don't know, you can't out at someone like he did. The challenge was bad enough but the reaction from both deserved two red cards imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah there were a few Morgan moments Josh but the crowd didn't get on anyone else's back, think it's silly, I hope he does well if he does end up at Hartlepool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:01 pm

I didn't hear anyone getting on his back, just a few moans when he completely miscontrolled one of the simplest through balls I've ever seen. He was good though.

Oh also thought Moxham was atrocious first half but a much, much better second. 6 overall.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Pitbull wrote:
If anyone is interested thought I'd give a little write up. Had a free afternoon so went along, good entertainment for a quid although had to buy an overpriced coffee to keep my hands warm.

Strong line ups for both sides, but especially Newport, as 9 of their starting 11 have played for them this season, Rene Howe the familiar target man for them. For Argyle, first team starters were Bittner, Bentley, Banton, Norburn, Thomas, Morgan & Brunt, with the younger lads Hall, Hughes, Moxham & Lane coming in.

I did notice the pitch seemed to be a bit bobbly and muddy in patches although I don't think it was watered before KO.

Argyle played a 442 for the entirety of the game.

Pretty much the first thing to happen was Banton falling injured and hobbling off, replaced by Roberts. Opening exchanges were a tad cagey, both sides trying to keep it on the deck but cut each other out, the first chance fell to Marvin who's effort was blocked, as was Brunt's soon after. Bittner was forced in to two comfortable saves as Newport began to get themselves into it and the opening goal soon came, a fine ball from the right powerfully headed home by the dangerous Howe, no chance for Bittner.

Thomas (who was struggling) made a very clumsy challenge on the Newport LB, the LB squared up to Thomas, who made a grab for the Newport player's neck. In a professional game, Thomas could have seen red, a yellow for the foul and a yellow for the reaction, quite silly.

A couple of wayward efforts for both sides passed before Marvin sent in a delightful cross and Brunt's header went ever so close, no matter, soon after, Marvin picked up the ball, held up the defender before curling a wonderful effort in to the top corner from 20-25 yards out, a fantastic last kick of the half.

At half time I was informed by two people that a Hartlepool United director was present.

The second half started well, both sides eager to claim the next goal and it was Argyle with the first chance, but Thomas's effort from 25 yards was well held by the Newport goalie. Newport then enjoyed play for a while, a decent low shot forced Bittner into a good save, before a Rene Howe header struck the post, Newport were no strangers to the woodwork and soon struck it again, a wonderful 30 yard effort, and Bittner made a fine save from the follow up effort. Then though it was our turn to attack, Morgan picked up a good ball from Hall, controlled when and forced the keeper to tip over, and he was at it again soon later when he beat the keeper with a chip but not the man on the line. However it looked to be Newport who would take the lead when Moxham lost his man, the Newport striker produced a powerful header but Bittner got down really well to save and hold. It was anyone's game now, and after good work from Thomas on the wing, a goalmouth scramble ensured, Marvin Morgan took the ball under control and finished cleverly, the win could have been made safe when the promising Rooney (on for Brunt) saw his effort trickle narrowly wide of the post.

Full time though, and plenty of positives to take.

Bittner - 8 - James played really well, good communication, distribution, and some good saves.

Hughes - 7 - He didn't have an awful lot to do, but he held the RB position well and looked safe on the ball.

Moxham - 7 - In a real game perhaps lower but I'll cut some slack as he had some really good moments as well as errors, good range of passing for a CB.

Bentley - 7 - Communicated well with his team mates, solid.

Hall - 7 - Thought the left back had a really average first half but really got in to it in the second with some good skill and some good passing.

Thomas - 5 - A dreadful first half but a much better second.

Norburn - 6 - A mixed game for Ollie although the CDM position doesn't suit him.

Lane - 5 - A little average, a poor first half followed by an alright second. Surprised to see him CM, thought he was a LB/LM.

Banton - NA

Brunt - 6 - He's clearly very strong, good in the air, but poor with the ball at his feet.

Morgan - 8 - MOTM for me. I don't blame him if he wants out, despite him being our best player and scoring 2 good goals, fans were still on his back despite the small crowd as well, one man yelled "go sign somewhere else" when he missed a chance, pathetic. Marvin's movement was good, his control good, and his goals well taken. Good luck wherever he goes!

Subs:

Roberts - 4 - he was on for most of the game and I didn't see anything from him, some poor crosses about all I remember.

Rooney - 6 - Bright, lively, good passing, probably should have had a goal but he's one for the future.

Why NA for Banton or have I missed something?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Walked off clutching his leg a few minutes in.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Having had the first XI figuratively make my eyes bleed with a couple of the "displays" I've seen from them this season, god only knows how anyone can motivate themselves to pay to watch the reserves.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Having had the first XI figuratively make my eyes bleed with a couple of the "displays" I've seen from them this season, god only knows how anyone can motivate themselves to pay to watch the reserves.

In all fairness Mock, I'm not saying they are better, but the play is usually better, as in during the development games, both sides do try to keep the ball on the ground and play some good football, it's nice to just sit back and observe rather than be worried about the scoreline sometimes. Better than sitting at home on a tuesday afternoon. Very Happy

It is a league, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how hard the players try during these development games as they look to impress, today was end to end, both sides did want to win, Newport are top of the development league due to the experience they put in to these sides so a good win today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:50 pm

It's free for season ticket holders anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
It's free for season ticket holders anyway.

Oh, didn't know so I paid, a whole quid Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 6:13 pm

So Marv looked better than Brunt? i'm shocked!
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 6:45 pm

Apropos nothing, just out of interest, was Sheridan there Cobi?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Didn't see him, Wotton and McCarthy were in the dugout, Hartlepool manager Ronnie Moore was in the directors box.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 6:54 pm

meaningless game in truth
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Angry wrote:

Not for those that don't play on a Saturday.....helps to keep the rust away.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Pitbull wrote:
Didn't see him, Wotton and McCarthy were in the dugout, Hartlepool manager Ronnie Moore was in the directors box.

No wonder starvin Marvin was tryin!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 7:34 pm

i used to watch a fair few reserve games years ago, some decent games end to end stuff and useful to watch triallists. i can recall one under the kemp era 1990/1? i think he was called carl stead and was at goole town.
looked like just the midfielder we needed at the time, but he got injured and retired from the game i think.

how on earth did you not know it wAS free pitbull !!! FFS !
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Pitbull wrote:

blimey hes putting some mileage in !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 8:40 pm

zyph wrote:
Angry wrote:

thats a given obviously but the fact some are talking as if it was important is what im responding too.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 8:44 pm

Angry wrote:
zyph wrote:
Angry wrote:

thats a given obviously but the fact some are talking as if it was important is what im responding too.

WTF scratch Only the other day you were bemoaning our lack of reserve team football !!!
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 pm

So by the sounds of it Bomber Blunt is only any good if he dosen't get the ball? Thats another Plymouth Argyle football first.jocolor
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 10:38 pm

A very entertaining second half and a dull first half in which we went in level due to one piece of mesmerising skill from Morgan which will prove to be a fitting way to end his career at Argyle. Generally the first half was poor from both sides with Argyle if anything being the poorer of the two. The CBs were given a bit of a torrid time, the midfield was walked through far too easily (with the exception of Norburn) and the full-backs were consistently pulled out of position all over the shop. Thomas was ineffective on the right-wing and Roberts on the left was very quiet. The two strikers also had very ineffectual halves until one moment of complete magic from Morgan at the end. It was honestly one of the best goals I've ever seen on a football pitch. Morgan picks the ball up with a defender just on the back of him, moves free of the man with really good movement and close control (!!) before flicking it into the top corner with the side of his foot from all of 20/21 yards. You have to see it to see how good it was, but it really was remarkable.

Second half was a lot better and Argyle worthy of their win. The rare hairy moment aside, both centre backs dealt with threats an awful lot better and the rare moments Newport did get in behind were dealt with by Bittner who had a very capable game. Callum Hall did well at left-back in what was by no means his natural position. He fed a lot of difficult balls through into the centre of the park in spite of it being on his unnatural foot. Thomas too vastly improved in this regard, learning to cut inside onto his left a lot more and thus made himself more effective than just a plain 'run up and at them' winger on his normal side. Decision making was questionable from him however, and he was really lucky to stay on the pitch following the unsavoury incident with their number 11 that Cobi described. Roberts also had a much better half and got into the game a lot more. Lane and Norburn clicked well in centre-midfield, the latter pulling off some sublime passes to go alongside his excellent pressure and pressing from the first half. Lane is an extremely talented young man and I've seen him have very good game but his end product still isn't quite what it was before his injury, imo. I think it would be worth giving him an apprenticeship extension at the end of this season before giving him a pro deal. To see what he could do with a full pre-season and match fitness could be exciting to witness.

Morgan much improved in the second half, making a nuisance of himself to their defenders in addition to scoring the second after a mad goalline scramble in which Rooney, Roberts or Thomas could all easily have scored before him. Brunt it is sad to say looked very ordinary all game. He wins a lot of balls hoofed up to him but that means nothing when he can't do much with it in terms of flick ons or accurate passing. The energetic and industrial Rooney who came on for him offered far more threat.

The man of the match for me however was Mason Hughes who had a great game at right-back. Outjumped for the goal but at least he was in the right place and it's tough not to be outjumped by Rene Howe. Bentley should have been more alive to it in the first place and arguably our left siders should have stopped the cross from coming in. Generally Hughes defended very well and also got up the pitch very well demonstrating a good range of passing and tempo-dictating which were appropriate for each situation. He has always struck me as a good full-back who plays with genuine pace and is good on the ball too. His apprenticeship is up at the end of this season and it'll really surprise me if he doesn't get a professional contact.

Broadly agree with Cobi's ratings except Roberts which I feel were low for an exciting second half performance. Harsh also on Norburn who I thought was spotless as a CDM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 10:51 am

AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:
zyph wrote:
Angry wrote:

WTF scratch   Only the other day you were bemoaning our lack of reserve team football !!!

Reserve team football is needed more for fringe players to actually play football, have an platform to prove a point and build up fitness for players returning from injury something the club has seriously lacked in recent years. Other than that The actual games themselves are not important must win games, thats the point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just back (Argyle V Newport)   Just back (Argyle V Newport) Empty

Back to top Go down

Just back (Argyle V Newport)
Page 1 of 1