Dougie
seadog
Flat_Track_Bully
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

"Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans Empty
PostSubject: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted, but this is a great article detailing why it is unfair for the media & those around football to blame "the fans" for low crowds/lack of atmosphere.  I think we've had a bit of this at Argyle recently, with someone (Starnes?) complaining about low attendances. It's also a good riposte to the "plastics" label that get thrown around quite a lot on football message boards.

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2014/11/how-supporters-became-the-new-villains-of-modern-football/

Personally I've always hated the plastics jibe, and the warped logic behind it (presuming that 'plastics' means those who attend occasionally, in contrast to 'glory hunters' who pick geographically distant teams solely based on their success).
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:53 pm

I think traditionally it's the other way round.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 7:25 am

Over the road you aren't allowed to have a pov on any player unless you earn that right by watching every game he plays, it has it's roots in deep insecurity born n the playground, which in turn feeds the divide and adds fuel to the fires of the bullies. It is precisely this that keeps decent people away.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/02/sport.blueprintforabetterfootball

a favourite article now nearly 10 years old but most of it rings true today. barely nothing has changed.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 8:07 am

Brilliant article. I kept trying to point out on Pasoti that those who boast of going to every game are just broadcasting their good fortune, financially and otherwise, but I never got very far. £22 to watch 90 minutes of fourth-tier football is ridiculous, and even though I've got a reasonably well-paid job I simply don't have the spare time or cash to do more than half the home games or a couple of away games a season.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 9:59 am

If I'd attended as many games as some proudly proclaim I think I'd be keeping quiet about it less anyone doubted my mental capacity. £22 for 4th Division dross is crazy. I'm off to cricket on Friday, a T20 between SA and the Windies, tickets from £7.20 to £12.20. I pay about a tenner for the best seats at Newlands for Super 15 rugby, watching a lot of the worlds best players from SA, Oz and NZ. I just looked at the website and a "scholars" season ticket (under 19) is £9.40!!

Argyle just disappoints me in so many ways now Sad
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 am

Charlie Wood wrote:
If I'd attended as many games as some proudly proclaim I think I'd be keeping quiet about it less anyone doubted my mental capacity. £22 for 4th Division dross is crazy. I'm off to cricket on Friday, a T20 between SA and the Windies, tickets from £7.20 to £12.20. I pay about a tenner for the best seats at Newlands for Super 15 rugby, watching a lot of the worlds best players from SA, Oz and NZ. I just looked at the website and a "scholars" season ticket (under 19) is £9.40!!

TBF though Charlie, a great many of the black population would snatch your hand off for a job paying a fraction of the UK minimum wage, wouldn't they ?

I think it was that freeloading slug Jones who was complaining about stay aways from the Theatre of Schemes. How on earth can he seriously think that decent, thinking people will want to be involved with such a crumbling Aviva style nightmare of a club, unless they are terminally addicted and largely local, like a few on here.
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 10:21 am

Charlie Wood wrote:

Unbalanced scum like Nool lording it over the Aviva hoi polloi in the social media, The Chris Webb as a president - of anything, an incompetent Chairman (by his own admission), snake-in-the-grass directors like Jones - it's a wonder there is a club with supporters at all. Does anybody have a chart showing how the average age of Argyle support has risen over the years? That really is the long-term death knell.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 am

I just wish the 'normal' clubs could secede from the megaclubs who can charge what they like for a ticket because of the daytrippers and tourists who fill their grounds week after week. Leave behind the two Manchester clubs, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool to start their longed-for European Super League, and start again. No more than £20 for a top-flight ticket, and no more than £10 for a fourth-division ticket. Gate receipts split 50/50. Instant points deductions for breaking salary caps, and for buying players under the age of 22 and then not playing them. It's not rocket science is it? The league would be much more watchable and competitive, so there would still be TV interest, but the likes of little ol' Argyle would have half a chance of competing at the sharp end of English football, and the domination of the few clubs who have wrecked the sport would be over.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 12:06 pm

He's still at it. Blaming an outclassed greedy board and apathetic janners.............. dear oh dear. For the 101st time.......THere is no such thing as a sustainable Championship club if it has never been to the top flight and cemented the fanbase. WE were as well supported in the CHampionship as comparable clubs with zero top flight history. FFS !

X Isle
Post subject: Re: argyles lack of ambition and financePostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:20 am
Member Staff

gariboldi wrote:
When within reach of promotion that's the time to spend and strengthen and support the manager. The profits would soon accumulate in gate receipts to cancel out the expenditure.

All very simplistic.

Firstly you should only only spend what you can afford, irrespective of where you are. Our £17,000,000 debt accumulation in the championship should remind us of this.

Secondly 'build a team and they will come', again our experience in the championship tells us otherwise.

It's easy to tell others how to spend their money, far harder to accept that our fanbase isn't nearly as reliable or huge as we'd like it to be.

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 6:11 pm

X throbber goes once a year yet likes to slag off the fans about loyalty? while Nool goes to every game because he is argyles greatest ever fan, not a truly sad bastard like a few have hinted at.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 6:22 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
X throbber goes once a year yet likes to slag off the fans about loyalty? while Nool goes to every game because he is argyles greatest ever fan, not a truly sad bastard like a few have hinted at.

He has to be the most sanctimonious individual I have ever witnessed on an Internet forum

Ever.
Back to top Go down
All the Presidents Men

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

He has to be the most sanctimonious individual I have ever witnessed on an Internet forum

Ever.

Worse than that, if that is possible.

Arrogance personified, clearly has never looked in a mirror at himself.

Can't admit to backing the wrong un in speccy either, blokes a joke which is why not many communicate with him and why he surfs this board because he gets lonely on pisspoti!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 7:31 am

I was hounded off pasoti (along with just about every other poster that thinks for themselves) for being anti Brent because I said he was a property developer, tbf I got that totally wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 7:42 am

Iggy wrote:
I was hounded off pasoti (along with just about every other poster that thinks for themselves) for being anti Brent because I said he was a property developer, tbf I got that totally wrong.

Well that makes no sense. Even if he was a 'property developer' it's hardly like a massive hit out? Obviously I don't know what was said etc but that really is a shambles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 7:53 am

I was just checking what was actually said on pasoti way back when Brent rolled up and it's quite funny really, if ever you needed an example of how fooked pasoti are then this is it. You can't even use pasoti as a reference tool anymore the database has been cleaned to alarming levels, read through to the bottom of page two and people are quoting Cleaner (whilst hounding and bullying the poor fecker unmercifully) but the original comments aren't there to be quoted, there are loads of threads over there that have had the heart of the debate ripped from them to preserve Brent's status with the sooper fans.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 8:34 am

Pasoti really ought to live on the Baggo', in the interests of honesty if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 9:45 am

Iggy wrote:
I was just checking what was actually said on pasoti way back when Brent rolled up and it's quite funny really, if ever you needed an example of how fooked pasoti are then this is it. You can't even use pasoti as a reference tool anymore the database has been cleaned to alarming levels, read through to the bottom of page two and people are quoting Cleaner (whilst hounding and bullying the poor fecker unmercifully) but the original comments aren't there to be quoted, there are loads of threads over there that have had the heart of the debate ripped from them to preserve Brent's status with the sooper fans.

Cleaner is now Pedro90 over there, KJN give him a season ticket last season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 9:55 am

Tgwu wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Good job too the way he was treated was terrible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 10:24 am

Iggy wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Nool described Cleaner to me as "looking like a tramp in dirty tracksuit trousers who stank of piss".
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 am

He do take his work home with him.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Nool described Cleaner to me as "looking like a tramp in dirty tracksuit trousers who stank of piss".

Thought that was oddball ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 10:19 am

No I think that Oddballl resides in "a piss soaked bedsit." until he lent Nool his sign in on here and became GREAT MATES (BGB's.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans   "Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans Empty

Back to top Go down

"Plastics" jibes / Blaming the fans
Page 1 of 1