sufferedsince 68
Moist_Von_Lipwig
tigertony
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tigertony

tigertony

Boxing Day memories Empty
PostSubject: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Got any Boxing Day Argyle memories ... funnier the better.

Boxing Day 1969 and Argyle were at home to Torquay. Added spice for me was that I'd spoken to Nicky Jennings on Christmas Day as his in-laws lived over the road. He'd even signed my new boots. So, there I was planning this day out with my mate Chris Millman when my late Dad said ''I'll come along and watch'' He wasn't a real footy man but off we set.
Got to HP and me and Chris went to Demport while Dad wandered down to stand under the grandstand. Argyle were not having a good season but in those days beer was sold for consumption on the terraces thus, probably, the reason Dad came along. Couple of pints!!

Dad said that as he had walked towards a crush barrier a voice had said ''Hello Sir'' and he looked up to see 2 sailors from his ship who were actually in his division on board. One said ''for every goal Argyle score we'll get you a pint''

6 – 0 (Bickle 4 Piper 2) and one pithed Dad who, when we got home, fell in the front door on his face. drunk laugh
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Not Boxing Day exactly (we'd drawn away 2-2 at Bristol City on Boxing Day!). This was my first game! 39 years ago tomorrow!

Two games in two days back then!

Sat Dec 27 1975

Div 2 Home Fulham 24,054 4-0 Randell, Rafferty (2), Johnson

Milija Aleksic, Peter Darke, Phil Burrows, Dave Sutton, Mike Green, John Delve, Colin Randell, Brian Johnson, Paul Mariner, Billy Rafferty, Hugh McAuley.

Thanks to GoS http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-season.asp?years=1975-1976
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 2:01 pm

tigertony wrote:

Boxing Day 1969 and Argyle were at home to Torquay. Added spice for me was that I'd spoken to Nicky Jennings on Christmas Day as his in-laws lived over the road. He'd even signed my new boots. So, there I was planning this day out with my mate Chris Millman when my late Dad said ''I'll come along and watch'' He wasn't a real footy man but off we set.
Got to HP and me and Chris went to Demport while Dad wandered down to stand under the grandstand. Argyle were not having a good season but in those days beer was sold for consumption on the terraces thus, probably, the reason Dad came along. Couple of pints!!

Dad said that as he had walked towards a crush barrier a voice had said ''Hello Sir'' and he looked up to see 2 sailors from his ship who were actually in his division on board. One said ''for every goal Argyle score we'll get you a pint''

6 – 0 (Bickle 4 Piper 2) and one pithed Dad who, when we got home, fell in the front door on his face. drunk laugh

Loved that day as a kid, a few of my mates were torquay fans, a brilliant game i will always remember.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 2:19 pm

The disallowed own goal by danis salman at cambridge - for offside. Lol
Back to top Go down
Motorservices

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 5:12 pm

1992 ECFC hqad 3 goals dissallowed, and still won, GREAT times

didnt you lot lose 2 nil again today?
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 5:17 pm

tigertony wrote:

Did your two year old grand - daughter not proof read this for you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 5:45 pm

PatDunne wrote:
tigertony wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 6:08 pm

I remember Piper running the show and Bickle being lethal in front of goal. Not sure about the Nicky Jennings connection TT as he'd left for Portsmouth a couple of years earlier.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 9:15 pm

PatDunne wrote:
tigertony wrote:

She wrote it Pat after copying it down in shorthand from my description. She then produced it using Word 2016 which she is trialling for Microsoft. Clever kid santa
Pat - I wasn't berating your use of English just the use of foul language. :pighug:
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
I remember Piper running the show and Bickle being lethal in front of goal. Not sure about the Nicky Jennings connection TT as he'd left for Portsmouth a couple of years earlier.
Question I must be confused? I can remember going over to see him 2 yers running to get my boots signed - must have been really young ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 9:27 pm

My first ever home game must have been 1982/83 ish? home V Exeter on boxing day.
For some inane reason my old man (who was an Arsenal fan) taken me into the Barn Park end, I think the score was 2-2 but I can still remember the Argyle fans climbing up the perimeter fencing like Chimps at the corner of the Lyndhurst trying to get at the city fans.

A few years later 1986 or 87 we played Pompey and lost 3-2, 26 or 27 thousand I think inside HP...put that in your pipe and smoke it if you think a 17k stadium will be fit for purpose for a team that 'puports' to have genuine ambition.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 10:14 pm

One of the very best was a 4-3 win over Swindon in the 74/75 promotion season, Argyle always behind in the match but eventually scoring two latish goals to win-among the highest quality games at any level that I've ever seen. There was the QPR/Rodney match in 1967 of course and also a famous goal scored with a diving header by the Tom Thumb size Hughie Reed in a win over Torquay. There's been a few horror shows as well at places like Exeter and Bristol City. And today.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
My first ever home game must have been 1982/83 ish?  home V Exeter on boxing day.
For some inane reason my old man (who was an Arsenal fan) taken me into the Barn Park end, I think the score was 2-2 but I can still remember the Argyle fans climbing up the perimeter fencing like Chimps at the corner of the Lyndhurst trying to get at the city fans.

A few years later 1986 or 87 we played Pompey and lost 3-2, 26 or 27 thousand I think inside HP...put that in your pipe and smoke it if you think a 17k stadium will be fit for purpose for a team that 'puports' to have genuine ambition.

great times, BRENT OUT !!!!

we only need 14k capacity Twisted Evil Embarassed Rant

Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 10:36 pm

an excellent game at Bournemouth in 2003 - wottons free kick hitting the bar spinning about 40feet in the air then bouncing in on the line
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm

THAT Reading game in 85 (I think). Not even sure if it was Boxing day but I know it was near Christmas. Mad Mad Mad Mad Sad Sad Sad

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 8:25 pm

wasnt that 22nd dec 1985 ?

remember a game at cambridge when the coach driver got lost, knocked on someones house door only for a cambridge fan to answer ! fords travel for you drunken
a long trip, recall jameson throwing up by the time we reached south brent.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 8:29 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
THAT Reading game in 85 (I think). Not even sure if it was Boxing day but I know it was near Christmas. Mad Mad Mad Mad Sad Sad Sad

Was that the 4-3 or (4-2?) game (Nugent scored when he chased down a back pass?).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boxing Day memories   Boxing Day memories Empty

Back to top Go down

Boxing Day memories
Page 1 of 1