+3
X Isle
Czarcasm
argyl3
7 posters
AuthorMessage
argyl3

argyl3

Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management Empty
PostSubject: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sounds like a former manager is putting himself in the spotlight and dropping hints about wanting a local job...

Parkway?
torquay
Exeter?
Plymouth?

Is there something going on here? especially with the rumours surrounding Sheridan off to Reading?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management Empty
PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Steve Clarke is the new Reading manager.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Some non league team will snap him up.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Harsh. His CV trumps most managers currently working. His second spell tarnished his Argyle reputation unfairly IMHO, he was working within a tighter budget but would nevertheless have kept us up where the idiotic Mariner switch didn't.
If Sheridan went, and I hope he doesn't, we could do much much worse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:33 pm

X Isle wrote:
Harsh. His CV trumps most managers currently working. His second spell tarnished his Argyle reputation unfairly IMHO, he was working within a tighter budget but would nevertheless have kept us up where the idiotic Mariner switch didn't.

Absolutely no way would i ever want him back for a third spell absolutely no way. Time to move on. Besides when Sheridan leaves and that day will come one day not for awhile i hope, i think its a certain who will replace him in the job and thats Paul Wotton.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Angry wrote:
X Isle wrote:

Absolutely no way would i ever want him back for a third spell absolutely no way. Time to move on. Besides when Sheridan leaves and that day will come one day not for awhile i hope, i think its a certain who will replace him in the job and thats Paul Wotton.

Possibly..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
X Isle wrote:

Possibly..

Brent will do it forshore he is cheap innit
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:15 pm

It may be cheap, but like Sturrock, we could do a lot worse.

Oh, and pointing out we could do worse is not the same as saying "I want". Just saying like, lest there be any more words falsely put in my mouth in the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:17 pm

X Isle wrote:

Take it you haven't seen him lately. Great company but no thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm

No way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:38 pm

X Isle wrote:
It may be cheap, but like Sturrock, we could do a lot worse.

Oh, and pointing out we could do worse is not the same as saying "I want". Just saying like, lest there be any more words falsely put in my mouth in the future.

That attitude is the epitome of why this club has never achieved anything and probably never will.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:39 pm

X Isle wrote:

He wouldn't have, he was finished by a combination of factors, not the least of which was being used and hung out to dry by his erstwhile mate Stapleton ["Paul can keep everybody if he wants to" laugh ]. For sure Mariner was no success as manager but he got more points than Sturrock did in that season from the same number of games, not saying much but a fact nevertheless. Sturrock should have been fired after the Watford home game early in the season and a proper manager brought in but that isn't the Argyle way of doing things and he was allowed to drift on until it was far too late. As for a potential return-no thanks, too much stigma from his second spell-better to remember Luggy as the alchemist behind the spectacular rise up the leagues starting in 2001.
Back to top Go down
argyl3

argyl3

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Would make a good club president... Or even board member???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm

argyl3 wrote:
Would make a good club president... Or even board member???

I dont know on that one. Luggy may be a demi god for his first spell here but he was quite the politician behind the scenes with staplewallet. Lets not forget he made us have an Dundee UTD away kit lol
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 3:53 am

Greenskin wrote:
X Isle wrote:

He wouldn't have, he was finished by a combination of factors, not the least of which was being used and hung out to dry by his erstwhile mate Stapleton ["Paul can keep everybody if he wants to" laugh ]. For sure Mariner was no success as manager but he got more points than Sturrock did in that season from the same number of games, not saying much but a fact nevertheless. Sturrock should have been fired after the Watford home game early in the season and a proper manager brought in but that isn't the Argyle way of doing things and he was allowed to drift on until it was far too late. As for a potential return-no thanks, too much stigma from his second spell-better to remember Luggy as the alchemist behind the spectacular rise up the leagues starting in 2001.
This. It wasn't just the results. The team under Sturrock had had just 4 wins by the time he was sacked at the season's halfway point. They were playing devoid of any spirit, spark or indication that they were about to improve. Almost very game was the same dull procession of turning up, having maybe one half-decent chance per game and proceeding to be beaten. It was like a slightly-less-bad-but-still-pretty-bad version of That Watford Game except it was every game bar about five for half a bloody season. Sturrock may well have never been relegated, he may well have had a good CV but he was finished and that team was finished. It absolutely needed a change from somewhere because there was no way he was taking us up.

The mistake wasn't sacking Sturrock, it was replacing Sturrock with Mariner. Although if you want to look at it from a stats point of view, Mariner did actually have a higher points-per-game ratio than Sturrock. When you combine that with the desolate performances and no sign of improvement that had been present in Luggy's Argyle side from January-December 2009, I see no real likelihood that he'd have kept us up. If anything, I think we'd have gone down even quicker than we did and potentially have come bottom of the league.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 9:17 am

I take your points, I just feel differently about it. No biggy, it's all behind us now.

Doubt the situation would arise anyway, perhaps as a DoF/mentor to Wotts at some point or maybe a scout.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 am

X Isle wrote:
I take your points, I just feel differently about it. No biggy, it's all behind us now.

Doubt the situation would arise anyway, perhaps as a DoF/mentor to Wotts at some point or maybe a scout.

Why would a manager with his best days behind him be good to advise a player who might want into management? Why not attract a decent proven manager, Wotts can go and cut his teeth at Fylde Athletic or somewhere similar like all managers do. In fact tell me more Han three occasions where the DOF role has worked out, I'm not aware of any.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Pretty much all major foreign clubs have a sporting director and a football manager. The manager does the day to day tactics and the DOF/Sporting Director deals with the long-term vision of the club and syncing the philosophy of the first team in with the youth set up. Man City have won the PL two of the past three seasons with such an approach so it's seeping into England too. The DOF approach can work- of course, what's being suggested with Wotton and Sheridan is not so much the continental DOF approach but more in the line of a mentor approach which admittedly is a different thing.

I'd also beg to differ that all managers cut their teeth in non-league first: Mark Robins, Eddie Howe, Tony Pulis, Ian Holloway, Brendan Rodgers, John Sheridan and Keith Hill are the names of just a few managers whose first ever jobs were with football league professional clubs and never had to work their way up from non league. They've all done well enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 9:47 am

I totally agree with some comments in this thread. I can't for the life of me understand why some fans are obsessed with the past. Why would you want one of the club's (and the football league's) most successful ever managers to make a return, when you could have Paul Wotton - a player who was universally respected and admired by opponents and teammates alike (think Bobby Moore), and had more technical ability and skill than in his left foot than the current squad put together (think Glenn Hoddle).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 9:54 am

GreenSam wrote:
Pretty much all major foreign clubs have a sporting director and a football manager. The manager does the day to day tactics and the DOF/Sporting Director deals with the long-term vision of the club and syncing the philosophy of the first team in with the youth set up. Man City have won the PL two of the past three seasons with such an approach so it's seeping into England too. The DOF approach can work- of course, what's being suggested with Wotton and Sheridan is not so much the continental DOF approach but more in the line of a mentor approach which admittedly is a different thing.

I'd also beg to differ that all managers cut their teeth in non-league first: Mark Robins, Eddie Howe, Tony Pulis, Ian Holloway, Brendan Rodgers, John Sheridan and Keith Hill are the names of just a few managers whose first ever jobs were with football league professional clubs and never had to work their way up from non league. They've all done well enough.

Firstly we aren't Manciteh, Barca or Real we are Argyle, we have a staffing budget of about 20k a year, why do we want a manager and someone to tell him how to manage? Luggy is only seen as a DOF as he is finished as a manager, sounds like Argyle but why the fans have to load these guns for the club to fire at us I don't know? scratch
Back to top Go down
argyl3

argyl3

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 10:38 am

Luggy for president!!!! And we will go from there
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 11:01 am

Wotton is a chav
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 11:48 am

PatDunne wrote:
Wotton is a chav

gobby too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management   Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management Empty

Back to top Go down

Former Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock wants another crack at management
Page 1 of 1