HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that Empty
PostSubject: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 1:57 pm

But you won't.

This man is a genius. He takes tricky stuff and explains it with breath-taking clarity so that everybody can understand it.

He pops up every now and then on radio and TV programmes with people like Tim Harford and Brian Cox and has written various newspaper columns but his real job is as a doctor (a proper medical one).

If you read only one book this year make it this one because if you're already into this sort of thing you'll love it to bits, I guarantee it, and if you're not you will be by the time you've read a few of his articles.

You can read the introduction here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I cannot recommend this man's work highly enough.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Started to read the intro....but gave up before that damn flashing picture did my head in.....sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 2:31 pm

No flashing stuff in the book though... Get that!

Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Is he the guy that debunks pseudo-medicine for the Guardian?

Good man. More power to his elbow.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 5:29 pm

He does.

He's very keen on rigourous evidence-based decision-making and homeopathy does not fare well in this regard. And neither do politicians.

The amount of poorly assessed information and negligent disregard of what evidence there is, and this happens right across the board not just where you might expect it to, is genuinely shocking.

I urge you to read his book because you'll never look at things the same way again if you do.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 12:10 pm

I remember reading something he wrote about homeopathy which has stuck with me for ever.  He found a bottle of something claiming to be diluted to such an extent that for one molecule of the original essence to have survived, the water needed would require a container fifty times the size of Earth.

I guess it's harmless guff if it's just being used by slightly gullible adults trying to cure a hangover, but when the same gullible adults try to cure their kids with this rubbish it becomes murderous. It's the thin end of the anti-vaccination wedge, I guess.
Back to top Go down
bjorn_yesterday

bjorn_yesterday

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 pm

You've only got to look at the advertising for the toiletries/cosmetics industry to see how they use "pseudoscience" and clever use of descriptive wording to attempt to confer legitimate scientific back up to their claims. On the list of ingredients they began replacing water with the more exotic-sounding "aqua" years ago.

Goldacre is quite right but he's a voice very much crying in the wilderness: When the expected market for just anti-ageing products alone for 2015 is $114 billion (yes, billion) what's a few basic scientific or linguistic principles bent (or shattered) matter?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 11:29 am

Just stumbled across this little gem: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As an example of the his work it's about as good as it gets. Complicated stuff made easily understandable and things are not always, or even very often, quite as simple as they seem.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 11:45 am

Here's another on randomised trials: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This bloke should in charge of something very big and very important.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
He does.

He's very keen on rigourous evidence-based decision-making and homeopathy does not fare well in this regard. And neither do politicians.

The amount of poorly assessed information and negligent disregard of what evidence there is, and this happens right across the board not just where you might expect it to, is genuinely shocking.

I urge you to read his book because you'll never look at things the same way again if you do.

isnt homeopathy the original pharmacology?

id say most medicines are based on natural remedies, however the dilution bit miffs me, what abut the shite that has gone through the water? conveniently forgotton..
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Homeopathy.....just a smoke and mirrors trick.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Homeopathy?

Top trolling, fella!

Unless you were serious in which case God help you.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Nothing is better than homeopathy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that   Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that Empty

Back to top Go down

Ben Goldacre - I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that
Page 1 of 1