Mock Cuncher
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 11:42 am

Last time I went there I almost partook in fisticuffs with a local oik!

I mean, me - fisticuffs!

OBV I would have biffed the rotter back to the underclass hovel from whence he came, but he got lucky; there were women about for crying out loud, and I for one am no savage as you chaps well know. I told him to desist, pointed him round the corner and had Jenkins and Smithson fill him in instead.

Anyway, will we win?

I think we'll lose. Maybe draw.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Last time I went to Rovers away was a Sunday lunchtime kick-off when we won 2-1. Think the game was televised as well. Went with a mate on a coach from Truro and missed the coach back due to the Gloucester Road being closed because of all the trouble. We took refuge in a pub that was full of the Rovers hooligans and had to stand quietly supping our beer in plastic glasses while allsorts of phone calls were being made around us organising more trouble. Twas a bit hairy to say the least but we survived and stayed the night in Bristol. Travelled back by train the next day, I worked for a rail company so we both got home for nothing, and chatted with Trigger who was also catching the train back.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks to Purse being a total plank last Saturday we'll be lambs to the slaughter

Gasheads 5-1 Argo

How far from safety will a defeat leave us?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Freathy wrote:
Thanks to Purse being a total plank last Saturday we'll be lambs to the slaughter

Gasheads 5-1 Argo

Let me get this straight - are you saying you think we'll score? Very Happy

We normally do well at Rovers. My crystal balls can see a sneaky 2-1 win.
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Anyone going?

Fancy an impromptu ATD beer beforehand?

Trying to decide whether to take that <--------------------- and if so where to park it.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Anyone going?

Fancy an impromptu ATD beer beforehand?

Trying to decide whether to take that <--------------------- and if so where to park it.

Not going this year but i went to the Mem for the FA cup replay that we lost when Sturrock was getting us up the leagues.We parked in one of the streets around the ground and put a dozen cans of beer in the boot for the journey back.Unfortunately the boot didn't lock and by the time we got back,they was gone! Barstewards,completely dry journey back to Plymouth and we lost as well,the Duke was on form that night.

Remember a shocking ruck with Rovers when Argyle played a cup tie against Bath City in the late seventies,Rovers were away or had been knocked out and their fans turned out in force at Twerton-it was murder,the streets afterwards were like a fricking war zone.Just about par for the course for Argyle v Rovers back in those days,there was always a truckload of trouble at HP when they visited.I used to enjoy going to Eastville,though,proper football ground,Twerton and the Mem are crap in comparison.
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Freathy wrote:

Gasheads 5-1 Argo

You are you are Nostradamus and I claim my £5 .
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:24 pm

last time i went to rovers away was at twerton in the fa cup nightmare. i was living in Edinburgh atthe time, caught the train to bath, bought my ticket on the day, only 'grandstand' tickets left, so that would do. started singing, as i was want in them days and was told by a steward that that kind of behaviour was not tolerated. we got stuffed 5-0, was it 5-1 cant recall properly, missed my train back so sat on platform at brizzle til silly o clock in the morning and jumped on the mail train, eventually got in in time to go to work.

i remeber thinking at the time, that i would never do such a long trip to watch the argo again. beginning of the end for me that was
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:25 pm

greengenes wrote:
Freathy wrote:

Gasheads 5-1 Argo

You are you are Nostradamus and I claim my £5 .

That's cheap pasoti talk, it's ten pounds on ATD! cheers
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:30 pm

If things work out timing wise I may make the match, if not I'll be ten minutes away from Twerton Pk!

As GS says, Eastville was a proper football ground, one of the old type stadiums and a sad day for Rovers when it was turned to ashes, they never\ really recovered from that. Happy 70s memories there, along with a few cuts bruises!
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Games against Rovers in the 70s certainly could be rather violent. Certainly a more 'chav' element than the equally as violent but slightly more sneaky City idiots. A shame really as I always liked Rovers' shirts and they are a proper football club, unlike Reading, Wigan or Daggenham.
Saw Mariner play one of his last games for us at Eastville, the gate hugely increased just to see what the fuss was all about. Of course they had their own reknowned strike force around about those times in Smash and Grab. Probably scored a few more than Mariner and Rafferty, but didn't have the same class and ability.
I saw most of any Argyle Rovers games while they were at Twerton, Bath being a second home for me in those days. These days games all meld together . A sweet little ground, and remember standing in the home end when some Argyle idiot missed an absolute sitter, might even have been a penalty.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Sneinton Green wrote:
last time i went to rovers away was at twerton in the fa cup nightmare. i was living in Edinburgh atthe time, caught the train to bath, bought my ticket on the day, only 'grandstand' tickets left, so that would do. started singing, as i was want in them days and was told by a steward that that kind of behaviour was not tolerated. we got stuffed 5-0, was it 5-1 cant recall properly, missed my train back so sat on platform at brizzle til silly o clock in the morning and jumped on the mail train, eventually got in in time to go to work.

i remeber thinking at the time, that i would never do such a long trip to watch the argo again. beginning of the end for me that was

Gawd,i'd forgotten about that game,i think it was on a Sunday.There was a bloke who scored 4 in that game,Carl Saunders i think.And the Rovers fans singing "Robbie Turner's Green and White Circus",they hated him becuase he was ex Bristol City.That was definitely in the top 10 Argyle horror shows.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Never saw Argyle or indeed Rovers at Twerton but did used to enjoy going to watch City play there a couple of times a season over the past decade or so, and recently if for nothing more than the joy of standing up at football match!

On an Argyle-related note, I remember watching them play Yeovil years ago when Jon Sheffield was keeping for the Glovers.

On a non-Argyle-related note, I'll always remember the first time I went. Was in the first year up at Bath Spa Uni and the club had a presence at the Fresher's fare, handing out free tickets for a game. A sizeable bunch of us decided it would be good to go and see the local club so snapped them up. While we were queuing up at the turnstile, a couple of 'locals' started chanting 'real supporters' and pointing at their City shirts, seemingly without a hint of irony. I'm sure parochialism isn't exclusively a South-West trait, but...
Back to top Go down
`rgill

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Last time i went we lost 4-3 in 1961, goal scorers Johnny Brown (from Wadebridge Town)Ken Maloyand John Cardiff Williams.
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:29 pm

I think another Oxford style drubbing is on the cards here. I think we won there last season so all the more reason to expect a defeat "lightning never strikes twice" as they say, no Darren Purse either ,
4 or 5 nil to Rovers.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Kinel!! 2-3
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Looks like Chadwick is making all the difference up front. Just goes to show the gulf between the CCC and L2.

That has to be THE most encouraging result of the season.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:16 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Looks like Chadwick is making all the difference up front. Just goes to show the gulf between the CCC and L2.

I woner if anyone predicted it? santa jocolor cheers
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:22 pm

You were way out on the scorers.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

I woner if anyone predicted it? santa jocolor cheers

I did predict a 2-1 win.

Moist by name and moist by nature? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Absolutely brilliant. Can we play you every week Laughing
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Gas - Argo Empty

Fig me with a five iron! Thought we'd win today,but not in that manner.Congrats to the team and Fletcher,great result,we are well in touch now even if the game at Aldershot is lost.Didn't Argyle win 3-2 against Rovers up there last year after being 2-0 down?
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty

Sensational result. Never say die spirit.

If only we could stop conceding now. We know we can score, but the lads have to work on clean sheets.

Feet still firmly on the ground. Lots of tough games to come, but for now, I'm enjoying being a Green again.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:36 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
You were way out on the scorers.

I blame Fletcher.

Seriously though a great result but a lot more of the same needed between now and the end of the season.

A great confidence booster too.

With D&R 3-0 up we are bottom on GD. If Northampton ship a few this afternoon, they will take our place.

It's starting to get pretty tight at the bottom. Any 2 from 10 (currently 9pts or less from bottom - 3pts currently seperate the bottom 6!)?

January should be interesting both on and off the pitch.
Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Freathy wrote:

Gasheads 5-1 Argo

Sorry couldnt resist .;-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gas - Argo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas - Argo   Gas - Argo Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas - Argo
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next